Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 212. (Read 1382196 times)

Activity: 422
Merit: 270
August 26, 2017, 03:42:31 PM

when you try to buy storage the massage is;

Estimate fee 114SC
estimate storage 20T

Is that a month? of 3 months? as the funds are locked for 3 months? and why is the refill every 6 weeks?

If someone from dev is reading this, please make it more clear how its works and the cost as it makes it more easy for firsttime users.

Devs are not reading Bitcointalk, but don't worry because they are aware the user experience for renting can be improved, and will be improved on the next release. In the meantime, check this guide for renting: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting

Yes, the estimation covers the 3 months of storage.

Funds are locked for the 3 months and the unused part is returned unless the auto-renew is enabled (and in this case, after 6 weeks your client will refill the used funds of the allowance to extend the contract for another 3 months)

Auto-renewal of the contract is enabled by default, it can be disabled using the command "renter allowance cancel" on the terminal (be aware, this will terminate automatically the contract and you will not have access again to your files).

Hi,
I've been silently following this project since a couple of months, and I find it more than interesting !
I was about to recommand using Sia to a friend who owns a small IT company. The guy is an IT genius, pro open-source, slightly against G.A.F.A.M, and has data to host.
However, he is not into crypto world, not at all.
AFAIK, at this point of the project, he will be forced to use an exchange, have a verified account, transer fiat currency, change to sia, and finally he will be able to use the service (please correct me if i'm wrong Wink).
There won't be any alternative to this ?

Yes, at this point, any costumer that wants to store his data in Sia needs to buy Siacoins in a exchange.

However, Sia is open-source code with a lot of APIs for developers, and I am aware of several projects of software and websites that will allow you to pay in FIAT and use the Sia network as a backend
Activity: 312
Merit: 111
August 26, 2017, 03:15:24 PM

when you try to buy storage the massage is;

Estimate fee 114SC
estimate storage 20T

Is that a month? of 3 months? as the funds are locked for 3 months? and why is the refill every 6 weeks?

If someone from dev is reading this, please make it more clear how its works and the cost as it makes it more easy for firsttime users.
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
August 26, 2017, 02:30:38 PM
Hi,
I've been silently following this project since a couple of months, and I find it more than interesting !
I was about to recommand using Sia to a friend who owns a small IT company. The guy is an IT genius, pro open-source, slightly against G.A.F.A.M, and has data to host.
However, he is not into crypto world, not at all.
AFAIK, at this point of the project, he will be forced to use an exchange, have a verified account, transer fiat currency, change to sia, and finally he will be able to use the service (please correct me if i'm wrong Wink).
There won't be any alternative to this ?
August 26, 2017, 01:37:53 PM
Has sia resolved scaling problems yet? Maybe not resolved, but potential solutions.

Its on it's way there. Right now, renters that reach 5 Terabytes of uploaded data might see their clients slowing-down or even freezing (lower amounts are ok). For the next update (end of September), the optimizations should be able to allow 40Tb or even more, as the whole database system of renters is being redesigned. Next update is totally focused on the renter side of Sia. There are plans to keep increasing this number in future updates.

Actually this is not a problem of the protocol or the nature of the network, it is just an optimization problem of the reference Client. Either the client of the Core Team or clients of other developers should be able to keep increasing the performance.
Activity: 11
August 26, 2017, 12:59:48 PM
Has sia resolved scaling problems yet? Maybe not resolved, but potential solutions.
Activity: 54
August 26, 2017, 12:06:08 PM
300 BTC backing up Sia now on poloniex.
It is time to grow back.
Support the coin with money guys
August 26, 2017, 10:08:50 AM
I had try that first, no luck. As long as its offline you cant add the seed... Angry
Its really ridicules as adding seed shouldn’t need a internet connection.

So sad it didn't work... However that was trying to use the software for something it was not intended.

If what you need a cold wallet solution (I guess that is the case if you want to keep a wallet offline), you can try with this cold wallet generator: https://github.com/avahowell/sia-coldstorage It is made by one of the core developers. For checking its balance in the future, stay tuned because several developers are working in overhauled blockchain explorers, including the function of checking the balance of an address.
August 26, 2017, 07:31:02 AM
I have ver 1.3 on linux

when using the terminal I get "error when calling /wallet/init/seed" wallet has not been encrypted yet.

Is there any way to check the balance on a offline computer?

I haven't tried by myself and I haven't seen it done before, but maybe it is worth a try. Copy to the offline computer not only the consensus folder. Copy instead from the online computer the Sia folder installation and also the folder located at $HOME/.config/Sia-UI/sia/consensus (in Linux) or Users\\appdata\roaming\Sia-UI\sia\consensus (in Windows) and replace the same elements on the offline computer. Then try the command "wallet init-seed --force" again

I had try that first, no luck. As long as its offline you cant add the seed... Angry
Its really ridicules as adding seed shouldn’t need a internet connection.
August 25, 2017, 08:41:38 PM
I have ver 1.3 on linux

when using the terminal I get "error when calling /wallet/init/seed" wallet has not been encrypted yet.

I haven't tried by myself and I haven't seen it done before, but maybe it is worth a try. Copy to the offline computer not only the consensus folder. Copy instead from the online computer the Sia folder installation and also the folder located at $HOME/.config/Sia-UI/sia/consensus (in Linux) or Users\\appdata\roaming\Sia-UI\sia\consensus (in Windows) and replace the same elements on the offline computer. Then try the command "wallet init-seed --force" again
August 25, 2017, 07:56:29 PM
These are the technical problems that can kill a project like this.
Now i understand why it is dying.

Bitcointalk is not an official channel of Sia. So no one should  expect to receive technical assistance here. Some mods of other channels or experienced users can come here from time to time to provide some relief, but that has not to be taken as the rule. Users with problems should go to the Discord (the most active channel) or alternatively to the Sia Forum or the Reddit.

Saying the project is dying is a blatant lie, or possibly just yet another attempt of FUD spreading. I recommend you or any other user interested in knowing what is going on in Sia to check the tri-annual update published last week: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7

I have try to install sia wallet on a offline computer.

I have copy the consesnsus.db from an online and fully synced pc, but when I try to load a wallet from my seed it says:

error when callling /wallet/init/seed: cannot init from seed until blockcjain is synced

I hae also try to do it on the terminal using --force but it says wallet has not been encrypted

Which version of Sia are you using? In versions 1.2 or before the consensus.db is stored in the %appdata% folder, while in version 1.3 the real consensus is located on the installation folder (the one in %appdata% is just metadata). Maybe you are not copying the real blckchain file.

As you are going to copy 6Gb of data, instead, I recommend you to copy the whole Sia installation (both installation folder and the %appdata% folder) as it is just a few extra MB. After that, if the wallet you want to use in the offline computer is different of the wallet on your original computer, just use the command "wallet init-seed --force" in the Terminal

I have ver 1.3 on linux

Activity: 1148
Merit: 269
August 25, 2017, 05:19:35 PM
Crytopia says

SC / BTC market is closing

Due to ongoing transaction issuesSiaCoin(SC) has been scheduled for delist, please close all open orders and withdraw your coins before 24/09/2017

Cryptopia   SC/BTC   0 BTC in the last 24 hours.
Yes we need more markets to accept this coin, but this does no affect the numbers

I guess if that's the hope we're looking for, it is dead.

Cryptopia had a daily total volume of less than 2000SC  Cheesy

You can trade your Sia on Poloniex (not recommended due to their problems handling withdrawals), Bittrex, Shapeshift, Yunbi... Do you really need more markets, guys?

The number of markets isn't concerning, but the delisting because no one is trading it on a very popular exchange sorta is.
The exchange which will delist sia is cryptopia so it's alright. Cryptopia is pale in comparison to bittrex and polo. Why use cryptopia when you can trade with higher liquidity at bittrex and polo? If polo or bittrex delist this then that would be a different case.
exchange is not the problem. like you said
(Why use cryptopia when you can trade with higher liquidity at bittrex and polo)
bittrex and polo will not delist sia coin there are many coin holders that exchange will care about i think
yes but these exchange will be more careful and restrict with adding new coins on their exchange
and i think now they are..
August 25, 2017, 01:08:53 PM

Bitcointalk is not an official channel of Sia. So no one should  expect to receive technical assistance here. Some mods of other channels or experienced users can come here from time to time to provide some relief, but that has not to be taken as the rule. Users with problems should go to the Discord (the most active channel) or alternatively to the Sia Forum or the Reddit.

Saying the project is dying is a blatant lie, or possibly just yet another attempt of FUD spreading. I recommend you or any other user interested in knowing what is going on in Sia to check the tri-annual update published last week: https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7

I have copy the consesnsus.db from an online and fully synced pc, but when I try to load a wallet from my seed it says:

error when callling /wallet/init/seed: cannot init from seed until blockcjain is synced

I hae also try to do it on the terminal using --force but it says wallet has not been encrypted

Which version of Sia are you using? In versions 1.2 or before the consensus.db is stored in the %appdata% folder, while in version 1.3 the real consensus is located on the installation folder (the one in %appdata% is just metadata). Maybe you are not copying the real blckchain file.

As you are going to copy 6Gb of data, instead, I recommend you to copy the whole Sia installation (both installation folder and the %appdata% folder) as it is just a few extra MB. After that, if the wallet you want to use in the offline computer is different of the wallet on your original computer, just use the command "wallet init-seed --force" in the Terminal
Activity: 613
Merit: 305
August 25, 2017, 12:03:48 PM

We need someone to contribute to the source code to make it better.

Maybe your issue is that the wallet needs to be synced with the blockchain but your PC is offline.
Retry after enabling the network
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
August 25, 2017, 08:12:42 AM
Crytopia says

Due to ongoing transaction issuesSiaCoin(SC) has been scheduled for delist, please close all open orders and withdraw your coins before 24/09/2017

Yes we need more markets to accept this coin, but this does no affect the numbers

You can trade your Sia on Poloniex (not recommended due to their problems handling withdrawals), Bittrex, Shapeshift, Yunbi... Do you really need more markets, guys?

With such tiny volume on this exchange it would not be worth it for them to host it on this exchange. It can be a lot of work for an exchange to host a wallet, and SC is  a more complex wallet than most. No big deal IMO.
Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
August 25, 2017, 08:04:37 AM
Crytopia says

The number of markets isn't concerning, but the delisting because no one is trading it on a very popular exchange sorta is.
The exchange which will delist sia is cryptopia so it's alright. Cryptopia is pale in comparison to bittrex and polo. Why use cryptopia when you can trade with higher liquidity at bittrex and polo? If polo or bittrex delist this then that would be a different case.
August 25, 2017, 05:59:37 AM

Activity: 54
August 25, 2017, 05:29:26 AM
I don't know why some people are sp concerned about Cryptopia delisting, the only exchange I can see delist SIA coin that is going to affect the price significantly is Poloniex.

Agree.
Volume doubled again. It will be rising soon
Activity: 2128
Merit: 530
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
August 25, 2017, 12:26:19 AM
I don't know why some people are sp concerned about Cryptopia delisting, the only exchange I can see delist SIA coin that is going to affect the price significantly is Poloniex.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Veritas Mining - Sustainable Crypto Mining
August 24, 2017, 11:11:15 PM
Do you think sia has already bottomed out? And is ready for taking off again?
Yes, sia will come back soon. Don't forget how fast it was rising a couple months ago.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Sia. Too many new coins are vague in what they want to do, or leave it to the 'community' to decide on future direction. I like that Sia knows what they would like to achieve.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm dual-mining Sia and hodling every coin mined.
Activity: 616
Merit: 167
August 24, 2017, 10:21:39 PM
Do you think sia has already bottomed out? And is ready for taking off again?
Yes, sia will come back soon. Don't forget how fast it was rising a couple months ago.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Sia. Too many new coins are vague in what they want to do, or leave it to the 'community' to decide on future direction. I like that Sia knows what they would like to achieve.
Jump to: