Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 214. (Read 1382196 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 100
August 23, 2017, 03:38:17 PM
These days I was asked the real difference from Filecoin to Siacon! Are there differences? Who is a step forward? Regarding decentralization, Siacoin is the first in this area! The game of preferences in Filecoin is annoying.

The difference is that Sias product actually exists.
Activity: 139
August 23, 2017, 03:02:42 PM
It might be a good Taek, but it's great if you make the redemption list now, so they can make sure now for our transfers that passed before the drop.
Activity: 613
Merit: 305
August 23, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
shit coin which has the only use of selling miners for its parent company.

someday it will be worth 1 sat.

dump this shit.

So you think that the file storage features are just been added to give value to their blockchain, and as a consequence to the coin itself so that they can keep selling miners?

Well,.. if the file storage system is useful for the people, i don't see why all of this is bad.
The miner company eventually will make money because of this, but they would deserve it,... as long as they give the people a better file cloud service that was not invented before
August 23, 2017, 02:40:46 PM
After looking at the website, those prices are pretty cheap compared to DropBox, Amazon and others. I'm very tempted in trying it out. I'm just confused by all the negative talk, since it looks great.

Me too i don't understand why they say it's not profitable to sell your disk storage on Sia.
As long as YOU define the price you can make it profitable, no?

Of course there is a limit, as you can not ask the same price as Amazon and others.
I think Onedrive is the cheapest one among them but still expensive, and Sia i hope can offer cheaper solutions
August 23, 2017, 02:36:44 PM
These days I was asked the real difference from Filecoin to Siacon! Are there differences? Who is a step forward? Regarding decentralization, Siacoin is the first in this area! The game of preferences in Filecoin is annoying.

Filecoin seems not to be open-source, and that's a big drawback compared to Sia for many reasons.

Being closed-source is a single point of failure, because if the Filecoin guys get arrested the project dies and all users lose their files.

With Sia coin this will not happen because if they get arrested someone else has the source code and can revive the project.

So i can say that Filecoin is not truly decentrralized, while Sia is.

Being open-source is the first thing needed to have a decentralized system.
Non sufficient but necessary
Activity: 344
Merit: 250
August 23, 2017, 02:10:24 PM
After looking at the website, those prices are pretty cheap compared to DropBox, Amazon and others. I'm very tempted in trying it out. I'm just confused by all the negative talk, since it looks great.
Activity: 476
Merit: 259
August 23, 2017, 01:53:42 PM
FileCoin are aiming for the same thing but are very new and are yet to provide any kind of product/part of a product beside a youtube video.

I think that believing that FileCoin could overcome sia with all their experience is pretty stupid as they got much more experience.
Activity: 61
Merit: 0
August 23, 2017, 01:03:43 PM
SIA is still in early dev and not intend to replace dropbox, but aims massive data storage from enterprise ...

It's true that hosting and renting nowadays isn't profitable, but I do it to support this amazing project ...

Time will tell ...
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
August 23, 2017, 12:57:16 PM
In every thread where personal tips of good altcoins are asked is the answer SIA. I never heard anybody condemn Sia as a scam or shitcoin.

I pointed out many times why siacoin's service (file hosting) isn't profitable neither for the host nor for the user.

It's unfit to any kind of long term storage, and even less as a short term one.

I'm not sure how you can make such a call this early? I believe hosts can set their own price and users can of course determine whether it makes sense to use Sia or the competition. So it's up to the market to set the price based on supply and demand.

Why would Sia be unfit for short or long-term storage? I see it as a cloud backup first and foremost, with the potential for heavier demands later down the road.
Activity: 215
August 23, 2017, 11:09:45 AM
In every thread where personal tips of good altcoins are asked is the answer SIA. I never heard anybody condemn Sia as a scam or shitcoin.

I pointed out many times why siacoin's service (file hosting) isn't profitable neither for the host nor for the user.

It's unfit to any kind of long term storage, and even less as a short term one.
August 23, 2017, 08:45:44 AM
Anyone know how much SC one can earn by hosting? I have 25TB of space, but it's behind a home internet connection (a few Mbps upload).

I am reading a lot of misinformation or declared FUD about what devs said or did not said. At any point they said "we are against a strong price". That's simply a lie. On an article on the Boston Globe (https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/07/sia/sUZ0p3EEAsgVuL2aGCeqEJ/story.html) they said:

<>

And later on Twitter:

<>

Thank you for this post, it's a breath of fresh air we're talking about the product and not FUD. Most altcoin threads are shills pumping or traders dumping, or pointless price speculation and clueless technical analysis (lol support levels).

I've read quite a bit about SC, and am very impressed with the product and considering growing my position. Just wish they'd release an official light desktop wallet soon.

I think there is a built-in auction system in SIA for defining file storage price, or maybe you just define your price and wait if it is accepted.
I've read that very briefly from the SIA homepage , don't know the details, check their homepage.

Anyway  these file storage marketplace features are the main potential of the coin and make it interesting, who cares about what others say about it not being good for speculation, about its price, etc.
The services you can get with that coin are what counts, not just doing trading.

A real P2P anonymous AND open-source file cloud is not something you can find in other places, even with Bitcoin there is no such service
Activity: 84
August 23, 2017, 06:47:08 AM
Anyone know how much SC one can earn by hosting? I have 25TB of space, but it's behind a home internet connection (a few Mbps upload).

I am reading a lot of misinformation or declared FUD about what devs said or did not said. At any point they said "we are against a strong price". That's simply a lie. On an article on the Boston Globe (https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/07/sia/sUZ0p3EEAsgVuL2aGCeqEJ/story.html) they said:

<>

And later on Twitter:

<>

Thank you for this post, it's a breath of fresh air we're talking about the product and not FUD. Most altcoin threads are shills pumping or traders dumping, or pointless price speculation and clueless technical analysis (lol support levels).

I've read quite a bit about SC, and am very impressed with the product and considering growing my position. Just wish they'd release an official light desktop wallet soon.
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
August 23, 2017, 02:41:30 AM
Do you still think they don't care about their product?

Nobody said they don't care about the project. They don't care about the PRICE of the coin.
And it's pretty gullible to think they only hold whatever they got from the ICO. Your other points just state what I said in different words.
we really cant say what inside devs mind I'm looking at its just shaking those people who really didn't bothered to read and understand the concept
those whos caught when the price is really hyping now like what happen to most coin which is falling sia is also part of this circulation.
Activity: 210
August 23, 2017, 02:24:33 AM
Do you still think they don't care about their product?

Nobody said they don't care about the project. They don't care about the PRICE of the coin.
And it's pretty gullible to think they only hold whatever they got from the ICO. Your other points just state what I said in different words.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 255
August 23, 2017, 02:18:12 AM
Sometimes I forget about Sia.

I think that means I am good at hodling so far Grin

Little disappointed by thing devs said about price.

Seems as better marketing/public relations could be worked on for the future.

Don't worry my friend everything will be back once the price of Bitcoin settles. Even I am also holding a lot of SIA coin it is going to change my life because I have strong hope on this coin.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1416
August 23, 2017, 01:55:33 AM
it think is just a lot of people got burned and now are salty about the project, great post Hakkane
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
August 23, 2017, 01:35:09 AM

<>

And later on Twitter:

<>

That simply means their work as developers is not forcing a pump in their value. They focus in the product, and it gains value over time because it is good and it gets used, not because they artificially manipulated the markets. Would you prefer Sia becoming a shitcoin manipulated by dev team to be overpumped and then let to fall all the way down to doom because there was no real project behind?. Sia is a working network of 3.5 Petabytes of storage where every day users are renting disk space for storing their files, not a bag of empty promises ad fog.

If anyone else have doubts about the commitment of the team, I recommend this reading of the chief developer and CEO of Nebulous: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6tmx0r/why_is_sia_important/ But as most of people reading here never expends the required time to get fully informed about the cryptos they invest in, I will extract some quotations you:

<

<>

<>

<$50/TB. Sia charges $0.50

<>

These guys truly wouldn't care...after all they turned into over night multi multi millionaires practically over night.

Absolutely false. Sia developers only premined the 100 first blocks (compare this number to your favorite altcoin) and currently they own less than 1% that they use for bounties for independent devs to develop integrations. They are incentived to increase the adoption of Sia, because their only asset are the 8,800 (out of a total of 10,000) SiaFunds, that gives dividends corresponding to the 3.9% of fees of each file contract. Currently each Siafund is providing a dividend of 4SC per month, so the team will only become rich if the network get mass adoption. Do you still think they don't care about their product?
Activity: 210
August 23, 2017, 12:40:52 AM
But isn't that kind of just things that devs say. "We don't care about the money, it's all about the art man." Meanwhile they actually do?

These guys truly wouldn't care...after all they turned into over night multi multi millionaires practically over night.
Activity: 344
Merit: 250
August 22, 2017, 11:58:15 PM
But isn't that kind of just things that devs say. "We don't care about the money, it's all about the art man." Meanwhile they actually do?
Activity: 87
August 22, 2017, 07:37:57 PM
Sometimes I forget about Sia.

I think that means I am good at hodling so far Grin

Little disappointed by thing devs said about price.

Seems as better marketing/public relations could be worked on for the future.
Jump to: