Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 215. (Read 1382194 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 22, 2017, 07:31:24 PM
What did they say exactly?

They said something along the lines of not caring about the prices and marketing and want to focus on development. Prices aren't a priority and they do not want to create hype. What traders want to do with the coin is up to them. Go to their slack channel and get the word straight from the horses mouth.

... I heard they are harvard/mit grads, so they cant be that dumb.

The economic correlation is, the more elite, the more dumb. The most dumb of them are collected in companies like Goldman Sachs (they need them as thiefes). But it is even possible to find much more dull people compared to the elites - you find them here in this forum, and in troll boxes (they reproduce the speculations of elites without qualms).

Very well said sir.

Activity: 876
Merit: 291
August 22, 2017, 04:59:24 PM
... I heard they are harvard/mit grads, so they cant be that dumb.

The economic correlation is, the more elite, the more dumb. The most dumb of them are collected in companies like Goldman Sachs (they need them as thiefes). But it is even possible to find much more dull people compared to the elites - you find them here in this forum, and in troll boxes (they reproduce the speculations of elites without qualms).
Activity: 350
Merit: 107
August 22, 2017, 02:02:59 PM
Very disappointing. The DEVs have expressed their opinion against strong coin value. I think that's pretty much it. Made a loss on mining set up. Even losing on electirictiy cost.

Sell and move on then. We don't need any weak hand cry babies here. You lose a few pennies and crying. This coin isn't for you then move on!
More importantly - the devs didn't say anything like that at all.

Yes they did although not in those words, join their slack and ask for yourself. Another team with 0 business savvy or theyre playing dumb and accumulating/ playing whale games. I heard they are harvard/mit grads, so they cant be that dumb.

What did they say exactly?
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
August 21, 2017, 09:34:34 PM
Any progress on upgrading the block explorer so it can search address balances?
Thanks
Activity: 210
August 21, 2017, 09:28:58 PM
Very disappointing. The DEVs have expressed their opinion against strong coin value. I think that's pretty much it. Made a loss on mining set up. Even losing on electirictiy cost.

Sell and move on then. We don't need any weak hand cry babies here. You lose a few pennies and crying. This coin isn't for you then move on!

Yes they did although not in those words, join their slack and ask for yourself. Another team with 0 business savvy or theyre playing dumb and accumulating/ playing whale games. I heard they are harvard/mit grads, so they cant be that dumb.
Activity: 71
August 21, 2017, 06:51:40 PM

Activity: 1299
Merit: 502
August 21, 2017, 05:52:01 PM

Activity: 294
August 21, 2017, 05:24:48 PM
Activity: 84
August 21, 2017, 05:16:14 PM
I'd like to invest in SC, but can't as the SIA UI won't install on my 32-bit laptop. Is there an online wallet, or better yet, a lite wallet which doesn't require download of full blockchain or bootstrapping?

There is no official Lite wallet yet. But the Luxor developers team (well reputed and trustworthy people) is preparing a Lite wallet and should be ready in a few weeks:http://wallet.luxor.tech/ No word yet if it will be 32bit-compatible or not. Most of software development nowadays is 64bit-exclusive..

Ok, thanks. I bought on an exchange and am keeping them there until I get back home to my 64bit computers.

And thanks for the background info on Obelisk, now I have a better understanding of what's happening there.
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
August 21, 2017, 04:28:06 PM
I'd like to invest in SC, but can't as the SIA UI won't install on my 32-bit laptop. Is there an online wallet, or better yet, a lite wallet which doesn't require download of full blockchain or bootstrapping?

There is no official Lite wallet yet. But the Luxor developers team (well reputed and trustworthy people) is preparing a Lite wallet and should be ready in a few weeks:http://wallet.luxor.tech/ No word yet if it will be 32bit-compatible or not. Most of software development nowadays is 64bit-exclusive...

With the Obelisk announcement is clear that this coin has no future (it had no future already) and it's only used to make money for its parent (selling miners) company.

Could you elaborate on what you mean here for us newbies, please?

He is simply spreading FUD, I would ignore that. The development team, Nebulous, has crated a subsidiary company to create ASIC miners for mining Sia. The goal is make the network more secure, as ASICs will outcompete GPU miners. GPU mining is dangerous for coins smaller than Ethereum, as if anyone of the 3 big Ether mining pools point to mine Sia, the can organize a 51% attack. The natural decision of the team to secure the network and prevent future problems is then manufacturing ASICs: miners that can mine Sia and only Sia. They are not selling more than 20% of hashpower to any individual, ensuring the mining network will be de-centralized.

In summary, once the miners are manufactured and distributed next year, Sia network will be more secure. If you want to learn more about the reasons of the decision of making ASICs, I recommend you this reading (long, but very informative): https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51
Activity: 84
August 21, 2017, 02:11:15 PM

With the Obelisk announcement is clear that this coin has no future (it had no future already) and it's only used to make money for its parent (selling miners) company.

Could you elaborate on what you mean here for us newbies, please?
Activity: 1540
Merit: 500
August 21, 2017, 11:50:25 AM
What is going on with SIA price? Is it due to Filecoin? I bought it at over 200 sat and I'm holding but this doesn't look good.

Not sure if it is due to sia coin, that what I thought at the first place.
But then I saw the price of digibyte slicing at about 80% , so if the price decrease happened just because the filecoin Intial coin offering, then it wouldn't affect Digibyte price, but it did affect.

Yeah, it sucks. I have sold half of mine, may be I'll buy later when it dips. Too shaky right now.
Activity: 196
August 21, 2017, 10:23:05 AM
Bought in at high peak... 2-3 weeks before the announcement of Obelisk  Roll Eyes  Tongue
Lost some faith on this project, but who knows. Let`s see what tomorrow brings. I am just going to HODL.
Activity: 326
Merit: 250
August 21, 2017, 09:58:18 AM
In every thread where personal tips of good altcoins are asked is the answer SIA. I never heard anybody condemn Sia as a scam or shitcoin. But after all SIA is not one of the winners from last month, at least not its coin price.
This just shows the crypto world is still very immature. It is not about a good sustainable project, but to seek for quick investment regardless whats behind it. There are over 800 crypto currencies today. Many of them will die from time to time. When people stop believing in the growths of the coin it will die. Because there is nothing behind that than the believe of reward and not even of the actually function as currencies. When this time starts SIA will start to grow.

You are right, the crytpo world is very immature and this is the reason why all sorts of shit coins get pumped while other solid projects may fly under radar for a very long time. Let's wait and see what happens to SIA price. Hopefully it will go back up from here.
Activity: 613
Merit: 305
August 21, 2017, 09:29:15 AM
In every thread where personal tips of good altcoins are asked is the answer SIA. I never heard anybody condemn Sia as a scam or shitcoin. But after all SIA is not one of the winners from last month, at least not its coin price.
This just shows the crypto world is still very immature. It is not about a good sustainable project, but to seek for quick investment regardless whats behind it. There are over 800 crypto currencies today. Many of them will die from time to time. When people stop believing in the growths of the coin it will die. Because there is nothing behind that than the believe of reward and not even of the actually function as currencies. When this time starts SIA will start to grow.

I think the success of SIA strongly depends on marketing it to the right target users: the ones interested in cloud file storage, the ones that use or want to use Dropbox, Gdrive, etc.

It the SIA developers invest their money on advertising it as a high-tech currency , they waste money because there are already 800 other altcoins that are saying the same thing, so it's hard to stand out from the others.

Its unique file storage features are its true potential, but for it to be profitable for them they need to advertise it to the people interested in storing files.
Activity: 448
August 21, 2017, 06:19:34 AM
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
dinkimole nokkalle...
August 21, 2017, 02:29:40 AM
If the price will drop to 50 sat it will be definitely the end. I'm afraid that crash of this project can happen even with 100 satoshi.. Hopefully not, because 100 sat is very close..

This project won't go down, no way. Price is bad now, all because of BTC and hype around filecoin. I can see it started to recover already.
Do you think filecoin is going to be a big competitor for Sia? I thought Sia coin was miles ahead in implementing the features.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
August 20, 2017, 11:07:26 PM
I think of Sia more of a service, lower price is actually good for wide adoption which will eventually boost its value.

While claiming yourself as an investor you should act like an investor not like a trader. I'm ok with any trader complaining price movements though. Investors HODL and contribute their knowledge or their disk to grow their investments.
Activity: 147
August 20, 2017, 05:13:53 PM
If the price will drop to 50 sat it will be definitely the end. I'm afraid that crash of this project can happen even with 100 satoshi.. Hopefully not, because 100 sat is very close..

This project won't go down, no way. Price is bad now, all because of BTC and hype around filecoin. I can see it started to recover already.
Activity: 613
Merit: 305
August 20, 2017, 12:08:02 PM
Very interesting project!

A true open-source , decentralized , cheap and "permanent" storage is something i've been looking for but could not find.
I want to store my files at a lower price than the costly GDrive, Onedrive,Mega etc. , with the freedom of uploading and keeping whatever type of content i want on there without restrictions.

Google for example seems to block/delete your files if they don't like them, which is not good

Sia seems to be the best AFAIK.
For example IPFS is a competitor , but it's closed source and i don't like it for this.

What's wrong with being closed source?
Suppose that the "good guys" of the Gov arrest the company behind IPFS.
The project would die instantly, because nobody can grab the source and keep maintaining the project.

SIA is open source so even if they arrest them someone else can continue the project, right ?

P.S.
Filecoin also seems not to be open source. The repo has been removed: https://github.com/Filescoin/filecoin
So i think SIA is better than Filecoin as well.

The best competitor seems to be StorJ at this point
Jump to: