Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 290. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 437
Merit: 255
December 11, 2016, 05:52:25 AM
is there a way to use wildcards with the SIA renter? I have uploaded some files with foreign characters in the filename and cannot delete them anymore

I have asked the devs on Slack, let's wait for their answer...
Can't you just copy the filename from the file-list and insert it into the command?

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad

An answer from the devs: It is not (yet) possible to use wildcards in the CLI but it should be possible to select and delete the files in the UI. In the UI it is also possible to select a range of files with Shift+Click.

if I try it I get a "Sia-UI Files Error - no file known with that path"

maybe I just let the files where they are and ignore them (in hope that * and ? wildcards will be available sometime)

@betaboot  thank you for the effort Wink

For future reference, what foreign characters are a problem?  Can they be reproduced here?

yes sure - the charcter are these:  ä ü ö

you may find them here:     https://www.lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/schreiben/umlaute/umlaute_ASCII_html.html
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
December 10, 2016, 03:23:10 AM
SIA can be mined with FPGA or ASIC? Price is to low to be mined only with GPU, or exist efficient private miner....

another than claymore dual eth+sia .. idk any profitable mining atm ... but could be private sia only miner who knows
legendary
Activity: 1764
December 10, 2016, 01:39:21 AM
Activity: 272
Merit: 250
December 09, 2016, 08:50:59 PM
SIA can be mined with FPGA or ASIC? Price is to low to be mined only with GPU, or exist efficient private miner....
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
December 09, 2016, 08:43:04 PM
looks like this going up
Activity: 305
December 09, 2016, 05:41:33 PM
why is the inflation so high with this coin ?
any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

no,actually i wanted a technical answer why the inflation needs to be that high.

it didn't need to be. The  devs over played their hand. They thought abt this coin like a currency strategy,  were everyone would want and need some to buy cloud space. But they over estimated the demand and here we are.
Activity: 2147
Merit: 518
December 09, 2016, 02:52:18 PM
whoa whoa SIA is funded by VCs' (Vencture Capital name)?

U still have time because its still not famous.

How much has been invested?
Activity: 431
Merit: 251
December 09, 2016, 02:24:55 PM
any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

no,actually i wanted a technical answer why the inflation needs to be that high.
December 09, 2016, 01:00:22 AM
You're not investing in the company by purchasing Sia coins.  Sia coins don't gain value because the project takes off.  

Think about it.  You need to buy storage, so you buy some Sia coin.  You go to the Exchange and buy some coin.  You then pay the host for the storage.  The host sells the coin on the Exchange for bitcoin.  Price of SIA remains flat.  There are some middle men, as well, who take a percentage of the coins as part of an investment sale at the earlier stages of the project.

You might think that because Sia coins get locked up into contracts during the term of the storage purchase that this would raise prices.  But since storage is offered at a floating rate determined by the nodes, if the value increases they will ask for less coin, meaning less pickup.  If the rate decreases, they ask for more coin.  Effectively always keeping the value of Sia as close to zero as possible.  The only thing that raises the value is idiotic speculation that somehow Sia profits would go to Sia holders.  

It won't, because the node has an incentive to charge the least possible to get the most contracts filled, so the person with the smallest overhead can charge the least, and it's a race to the bottom.

Sia may be a good product, but the coin is dumb.

Right. Exactly. Its the Dumb business side of the coin.

The Idea behind sia and its technical dev I have no problem with. Its the Business side. The generating of money the Exposure, etc, etc that is the problem with this coin. And will be left in the ashes of altcoin history if not thought about,
Activity: 729
December 09, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
You're not investing in the company by purchasing Sia coins.  Sia coins don't gain value because the project takes off. 

Think about it.  You need to buy storage, so you buy some Sia coin.  You go to the Exchange and buy some coin.  You then pay the host for the storage.  The host sells the coin on the Exchange for bitcoin.  Price of SIA remains flat.  There are some middle men, as well, who take a percentage of the coins as part of an investment sale at the earlier stages of the project.

You might think that because Sia coins get locked up into contracts during the term of the storage purchase that this would raise prices.  But since storage is offered at a floating rate determined by the nodes, if the value increases they will ask for less coin, meaning less pickup.  If the rate decreases, they ask for more coin.  Effectively always keeping the value of Sia as close to zero as possible.  The only thing that raises the value is idiotic speculation that somehow Sia profits would go to Sia holders. 

It won't, because the node has an incentive to charge the least possible to get the most contracts filled, so the person with the smallest overhead can charge the least, and it's a race to the bottom.

Sia may be a good product, but the coin is dumb.
December 08, 2016, 09:34:42 PM
whoa whoa SIA is funded by VCs' (Vencture Capital name)?

U still have time because its still not famous.
Activity: 294
December 08, 2016, 08:44:26 PM
any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.

HAHAHAHA

More like 5yrs. This Damn thing is at 27 sats. Devs are not pulling their weight per marketing/business model just filling their own ego by fixing small bugs here and there. Tell me a product that was released that worked 100%. None why. Because u put it out there generate income and fix it along the way. Look at the kings of industry Microsoft the biggest Bugs but with billionS in revenue, ford, gm, on and on. Its a good product but something else is going on. DEVS?

Tons of Great, Mind blowing inventions have gone nowhere because the public did not know abt them or never advertised. That's what I believe is the fate of SIA coin.

Sia is so good, I missed the last pump, the price was 3 sat, i should really collect some when sia was not famous. Sia is funded with VC, no wonder they don't need ICO, great project.
December 08, 2016, 07:54:05 PM
any reasons for that?

HAHAHAHA

More like 5yrs. This Damn thing is at 27 sats. Devs are not pulling their weight per marketing/business model just filling their own ego by fixing small bugs here and there. Tell me a product that was released that worked 100%. None why. Because u put it out there generate income and fix it along the way. Look at the kings of industry Microsoft the biggest Bugs but with billionS in revenue, ford, gm, on and on. Its a good product but something else is going on. DEVS?

Tons of Great, Mind blowing inventions have gone nowhere because the public did not know abt them or never advertised. That's what I believe is the fate of SIA coin.
legendary
Activity: 1206
December 08, 2016, 02:09:13 AM
any reasons for that?

Or, better yet, check back before then........I think if you wait a year, you'll very likely miss the bus. Version 1.1.0 will be released within the next couple weeks. I'm not saying Sia will moon, but 1.1.0 should be a nice start with the improvements slated for this release.  Not to mention, the Minebox launch should also be favorable for Sia.

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=28542349724534dc599e8f3e0&id=d7138a4fce

Join slack, if you haven't already.  Any additional questions or concerns you might have will be answered more quickly over there Smiley
December 07, 2016, 08:20:25 PM
any reasons for that?

Are you asking why it is worth almost nothing?  Narrow market, limited use, too many coins in circulation.  Over time it should get better, because it is necessary for storage contracts, but they're a long way from here to there.  Check back in a year.
Activity: 431
Merit: 251
December 07, 2016, 06:39:29 PM
any reasons for that?
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
December 06, 2016, 10:23:29 PM
December 06, 2016, 10:22:41 PM
is there a way to use wildcards with the SIA renter? I have uploaded some files with foreign characters in the filename and cannot delete them anymore

Can't you just copy the filename from the file-list and insert it into the command?

An answer from the devs: It is not (yet) possible to use wildcards in the CLI but it should be possible to select and delete the files in the UI. In the UI it is also possible to select a range of files with Shift+Click.

maybe I just let the files where they are and ignore them (in hope that * and ? wildcards will be available sometime)

For future reference, what foreign characters are a problem?  Can they be reproduced here?
Activity: 437
Merit: 255
December 05, 2016, 06:19:21 PM

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 05, 2016, 01:43:14 AM

I tried it (and a lot of other work arounds) and was not successful  Sad

Jump to: