Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 364. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
January 17, 2016, 11:09:12 PM
On this:

4/ I would like to have a preferred list of storage clients, say I want to support a charity with cheap storage below the SC market rate, if they give me their wallet address I can add that and support them privately, without hurting the overall market rate.

you could configure your firewall to be open on port 9982 only to known IPs (i.e. those you want to support). That way, no one else could upload to your host.

This does seem rather pointless though, since data that is uploaded is currently made 6x redundant on the Sia network. Also, files are split in pieces and distributed across hosts. This is all to ensure that even if a significant number of hosts go down data is still safe

Meaning, your preferred partner still have to upload to multiple other hosts besides yours. In fact, your host may not even be selected by the Sia client running on your preferred partners computer as host selection is random, though weighted by published price.

I think that what you are requesting is not really compatible with the Sia protocol and if enforced would reduced the networks reliability overall.

If you wanted to support just one uploader, you would be better simply using rscync etc.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
January 17, 2016, 08:37:41 AM
Hi, SC newbie here.  First of all getting synced was easy, well done!  Grin
Some feature requests:
1/ I missed the notification to port forward, it vanishes after a few seconds, can you make it persistent?
2/ Looks like I have to have the wallet fully unlocked to be a farmer and pick up contracts, seems very insecure.  Can you make the wallet 'unlocked for farming only' and to fully unlock you need the passphrase again, (I have seen similar on other coins)?
3/ On the subject of security, I know you (and so do I) want a secure coin, but please add a user generated passphrase option.  I dont want my passphrases written anywhere.  Set a standard if you like, 50+ characters mix of upper/lower + numbers and special - my 'memory wallet' passphrases exceed that.
4/ I would like to have a preferred list of storage clients, say I want to support a charity with cheap storage below the SC market rate, if they give me their wallet address I can add that and support them privately, without hurting the overall market rate.
5/ Please let me run Sia from my NAS drive where I have 1.5 TB free.
6/ Creating an app for Synology boxes would probably help you with storage volumes.
7/ Please allow Sia to be minimised to the sys tray in windows.

I tend to have a lot of crazy ideas, thanks for listening and good luck!

Activity: 543
Merit: 501
January 12, 2016, 10:16:52 AM
For clarity sake can Taek confirm that if you have funds in a pre-v3 wallet and import into a v4 wallet which includes the HD Wallet ... only newly created addresses are protected by the HD seed (i.e. it does not create  a transaction to move all funds from old addresses into a new HD derived address) and any older address and thus funds will not be recoverable without the full wallet backup i.e. assuming the HD seed will restore your full balance is wrongly assumed.

v0.3.3.3 is the first wallet that was on the real chain. Any siacoins you made with an earlier wallet do not exist.

If you import coins into a wallet, only newly created addresses are protected by the seed (btw, it's not an HD seed, it's just a normal seed). Over time (as you upload stuff and spend money), the coins will slowly be moved over into new addresses (just by nature of how the wallet does refund addresses), but there is currently no 'sweep' button that would allow you to transfer all coins to addresses on a new seed. We'll add sweeping at some point, but probably not for a few months.
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
January 12, 2016, 10:06:57 AM
I'm currently running "Sia UI version: 0.4.6-beta   Sia version: 0.4.4" (as per the About section of my wallet)

Do I need to update to v.0.4.8 or can I just wait until v.0.5.0 is released and update direct to that from 0.4.6?

Also (another basic question I'm afraid): How do I back up the wallet?

Thanks in advance  Smiley

For some reason I thought there was a 'back up wallet' button in the UI, but I guess not. I'm surprised we made it this far without adding that. In the folder containing the UI, go to resources/app/Sia/wallet/wallet.json. You can copy it over.

When upgrading, it's probably okay to go from 0.4.4 to 0.5.0, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember there were some problems with 0.4.4 which is why we released later versions with a quick turnaround.

Thanks Smiley
Activity: 821
Merit: 1000
January 12, 2016, 09:26:27 AM
For clarity sake can Taek confirm that if you have funds in a pre-v3 wallet and import into a v4 wallet which includes the HD Wallet ... only newly created addresses are protected by the HD seed (i.e. it does not create  a transaction to move all funds from old addresses into a new HD derived address) and any older address and thus funds will not be recoverable without the full wallet backup i.e. assuming the HD seed will restore your full balance is wrongly assumed.
Activity: 301
January 12, 2016, 03:57:57 AM
could you please provide clear instructions how to import siafunds to wallet using your private key ?

I used siag and now I have the .siakey.

Add from and to which Sia versions.

Not sure what do you mean ? Smiley

I recieved my siafunds in the genesis block. To pregenerated sia address.

I just downloaded the program to generate te sia address before v0.3.1 was realeased but  I haven't been using any sia wallet yet.

In the current version of sia, you can use the command line. I don't think there's GUI support yet. 'siac wallet load siag [keyfile]' is the command that you want to run to load the siag address into the wallet. You'll need to restart Sia after you do the loading.

We're planning on adding a command line to the GUI at some point soon. It's tough to be certain which features to add in what order.

OK, So what we have to save files for future versions siafunds access?
Activity: 301
January 12, 2016, 03:45:56 AM
Hi Taek,

could you please provide clear instructions how to import siafunds to wallet using your private key ?

I'm not very tech savvy so if you could do step by step for dummies that would be great.

Cheers  Smiley

I have not moved from before client sia V4.
for fear of losing them.
How the way to a new client?
January 11, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
We have the release candidate for the daemon ready

Wow so nice thanks Dev, this coin is having a really nice development and for me actually the storage system is quite better than storj

Yeah, you can actually use it for storing stuff.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
January 11, 2016, 06:41:41 PM

http://pixeldra.in/l/ebWP48#item=0

Pick your favorite OS and give it a shot. We've moved the release date for the 0.5.0 full release to Jan. 22nd.

Wow so nice thanks Dev, this coin is having a really nice development and for me actually the storage system is quite better than storj,  thanks for not do a pump and dump and please  the good work
January 11, 2016, 05:59:21 PM

http://pixeldra.in/l/ebWP48#item=0

Pick your favorite OS and give it a shot. We've moved the release date for the 0.5.0 full release to Jan. 22nd.
January 11, 2016, 02:06:56 AM

I just downloaded the program to generate te sia address before v0.3.1 was realeased but  I haven't been using any sia wallet yet.

In the current version of sia, you can use the command line. I don't think there's GUI support yet. 'siac wallet load siag [keyfile]' is the command that you want to run to load the siag address into the wallet. You'll need to restart Sia after you do the loading.

We're planning on adding a command line to the GUI at some point soon. It's tough to be certain which features to add in what order.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
January 10, 2016, 02:52:02 PM

Activity: 700
January 10, 2016, 02:14:26 PM
Do not forget to pick up some $QTL too.

And Spreadcoin overall.
January 10, 2016, 02:02:35 PM

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
January 10, 2016, 01:30:05 PM
Hi Taek,

I'm not very tech savvy so if you could do step by step for dummies that would be great.

Cheers  Smiley
January 10, 2016, 11:38:33 AM
I'm currently running "Sia UI version: 0.4.6-beta   Sia version: 0.4.4" (as per the About section of my wallet)

Do I need to update to v.0.4.8 or can I just wait until v.0.5.0 is released and update direct to that from 0.4.6?

For some reason I thought there was a 'back up wallet' button in the UI, but I guess not. I'm surprised we made it this far without adding that. In the folder containing the UI, go to resources/app/Sia/wallet/wallet.json. You can copy it over.

When upgrading, it's probably okay to go from 0.4.4 to 0.5.0, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember there were some problems with 0.4.4 which is why we released later versions with a quick turnaround.
Activity: 577
January 09, 2016, 06:13:25 PM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
January 09, 2016, 03:45:26 PM
Sia Extension for the GNOME desktop

I have made an extension for the GNOME desktop that features folder auto-sync and some useful wallet features. I consider this a BETA, as there are still features I'd like to add and features to depends on the upcoming 0.5.0 to work properly (like files in sub-folders being displayed properly in the Sia-UI wallet). I have yet to fully stress test it. If anyone would like to test this thing before I put it up on extension.gnome.org that would be great!

This extension obviates, to some extent, the need to use the Sia-UI if you're running the GNOME desktop. It auto-starts siad, syncs the Sia folder in your home-directory (recursively) and indicates file upload progress and health (i.e. redundancy) of your files. Also, you can send funds and create addresses for receiving funds.

The code:
https://github.com/pmknutsen/gnome-shell-sia/

Screenshots:

hey what fonts are you using ? or what are they ?
January 09, 2016, 03:39:36 PM
v0.5.0rc release today?

We're doing the final testing and starting to pull everything together. We're not planning on sleeping until the rc is ready, but we are expecting to need a lot of coffee.
January 09, 2016, 02:06:35 PM
v0.5.0rc release today?

From Taek on Slack this morning:
what's coming out today is 0.5.0-rc1. There will not be a Github release for it, just some binaries we share around.

0.5.0 is targeted for the 19th.

We release a 'release candidate' so that error-tolerant users can help us find bugs or features that we missed. Then we fix any major problems before launching the actual release.

Jump to: