Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming) - page 321. (Read 790393 times)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100
Nodes That Serve
Been syncing for a few hours, gone from 7 to 17 connections.

Code:
{
"balance" : 820215.08398676,
.}

err, wtf  Roll Eyes

yeah, right
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything
Alright.  I'm going to give this a go.  I have an unexpected free hour to get this going.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Pal from DRK has given me some guidance based on running many masternodes:

* Uses vps providers mainly found on http://lowendbox.com/

* Worth looking at but not on lowendbox: Digital Ocean or Vultr

* Too cheap gets you into trouble with deamon crashing

> min 256 RAM + 256 vSwap, better 512 MB

> Monthly bandwidth is ~150 - 180GB for one DRK masternode

[If you're reading, thanks  Wink]
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Maybe I'll run a full SPR node and full Bitcoin node on the same server Cheesy
legendary
Decentralize Everything
So 4 dev or project members have already volunteered to run a static full spreadcoin node,
and their servers are already up an running.

Anyone else?

What about you...

...Gladimor?
...Stonehedge?
...e1ghtspace?
...defunctec?
...ScamAlert?

Would be great to get atleast 8 people on board.

EDIT: I will release a new wallet soon.

I'm a definite.  Any ideas on approx bandwidth usage?  

Time is the only issue for me.  Will spin one up ASAP.

EDIT:  Actually, any suggestions for all round specs?  I'll prob stick with AWS for ease.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
So 4 dev or project members have already volunteered to run a static full spreadcoin node,
and their servers are already up an running.

Anyone else?

What about you...

...Gladimor?
...Stonehedge?
...e1ghtspace?
...defunctec?
...ScamAlert?
...a-russo?

Would be great to get atleast 8 people on board.

EDIT: I will release a new wallet soon.
legendary
legendary
spreadcoin.info
Does anybody know who "Susel" is?

He/She is mentioned in the About-Section of the spreadcoin-qt wallet:

"The logo is made by Susel."

Mr. Spread:
The rewards will go to:
1. 5000 SPR goes to Susel (I contacted him and still waiting for the original vector logo).
2. 2000 SPR goes to hardroad, for the 2nd place (I excluded from the list second logo from Susel and original).
3. 1000 SPR goes to LitcoinCollector, for the 3rd place.
And a present for everyone else who participated - 300 SPR. This is e1ghtSpace, coolmancarl and zeca pagodinho.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.975;wap2

It's this user here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/susel-394660

Hasn't been very active (only 1 month), and exactly during the time when Mr.Spread made the "logo contest".
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Whatever happened to NoobKidontheblock?!
legendary

Mr. Spread:
The rewards will go to:
1. 5000 SPR goes to Susel (I contacted him and still waiting for the original vector logo).
2. 2000 SPR goes to hardroad, for the 2nd place (I excluded from the list second logo from Susel and original).
3. 1000 SPR goes to LitcoinCollector, for the 3rd place.
And a present for everyone else who participated - 300 SPR. This is e1ghtSpace, coolmancarl and zeca pagodinho.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.975;wap2
legendary
Decentralize Everything

There is a graphics studio in Australia called Susel...
legendary
spreadcoin.info

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Might get some spread today I like the project.
Activity: 462
Merit: 500
legendary
Bitcoin nodes have gone from 10k, to around 6k in about 12 months.

Feedback from nodes

As part of the bitcoin core developer team, Mike Hearn sees the issue of nodes dropping from 10,000 down to under 7,000 as a significant problem. To Hearn, the core of the issue is disinterest in both expending computing resources and electricity toward something that may have diminishing value.

On the bitcoin developer mailing list, Hearn has proposed added functionality that would allow communications between nodes and the developers to better understand why so many are dropping out.

Hearn also wants to exclude consumer wallets installed on laptops and desktops from the network as well.

This is because their number will continue to decline no matter what – and they appear to only be working when users are awake during the day.

One of the reasons why lots of nodes are important is redundancy, according to Hearn:

"It makes [the bitcoin network] 'seem' bigger, more robust and more decentralised, because there are more people uniting to run it. So there's a psychological benefit."

Moving forward

Bitcoin core developer Jeff Garzik believes that community attention to the lack of nodes supporting the network is what the industry needs in order to boost numbers:

"I agree we need more full nodes. I've long been a proponent of such calls for more nodes."

However, such calls for voluntary support might not be enough motivation for people to do so, though, so, one logical idea that has been floated is to give nodes some sort of incentive.

However, that's probably not feasible right now: over the past six months, miners have been averaging a daily reward of 15.98 BTC per day, according to Blockchain.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-nodes-need/
legendary
Activity: 1092
The maximum number of service nodes at the moment is ~880 based on a coin supply of ~2,540,000.

This means that number 1 wallet would be able to run ~68 service nodes ( without worry about being dropped by the spread.  Interesting stuff.

68 full service/bitcoin nodes.  That would be a serious commitment to bandwidth bills Cheesy

Interesting, what is the calculation that you made to come up with 68?

I was going by mental arithmetic so I'll show you my rough working from memory.  I apologise for the mental back of fag packet calculations!

Number 1 wallet has ~200k SPR

Current coin supply is ~2,500,000

Max number of snodes (coin supply/2880)= 868

Based on the false premise that every coin will be used in a servicenode (I have no data to guess how many coins will be in snodes):

Max coin supply / Max snodes = 2880SPR

Meaning that if I was the owner of #1 wallet and I wanted to guarantee that all of my service nodes were in the spread I'd load each node with  2800SPR which means that I'd be able to afford to fund roughly 68 snodes in this way.

EDIT:  Correcting price error

A quick check on AWS estimates that it would cost $3000pm to run the following:

68 x T2.micro
68 x 60GB magnetic volumes
13,600GB outbound traffic
1360GB inbound traffic (free anyway)

This means the #1 wallet holder would need to see about 130,000SPR per month (at current price) to break even)

goodness gracious, that's certainly cost prohibitive.  I was thinking a remote server in the range of $ 5 month/node would be borderline feasible but would need the price of spr to reach beyond .000205 to be profitable.

Since the primary objective is decentralization, why not tie cpu mining to spr's first reward service?  It would strengthen the network, be something anyone could jump into with little cost, wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and provide preliminary insight into how the competition dynamics will play out.   

The price's you refer too (.000205) will be smashed if servicenodes are released.

I saw a peak of around 0.0006+ when MrSpread was testing masternodes.

So SPR SN's will be profitable... Potentially very profitable!
legendary

goodness gracious, that's certainly cost prohibitive.  I was thinking a remote server in the range of $ 5 month/node would be borderline feasible but would need the price of spr to reach beyond .000205 to be profitable.

Since the primary objective is decentralization, why not tie cpu mining to spr's first reward service?  It would strengthen the network, be something anyone could jump into with little cost, wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and provide preliminary insight into how the competition dynamics will play out.  

This does more to highlight the prohibitive cost of outgoing/upload traffic on AWS. While AWS are pretty gold standard, the costs can get out of control if not manged properly. There are plenty of other options that are much cheaper, and as stonehedge says, would cost around $5/month or a little more.

There are VPS providers who can provide the required bandwidth for a full bitcoin node for far less it seems.

If everyone used AWS, then we wouldn't have decentralization. We would become an Amazon subsidiary.

Also, its worth remembering that this is a for-profit-project.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10656234

The services that will be underpinning everything will need to make it very financially attractive to own a servienode and run a bitcoin full node.

I don't see services as being only marginally attractive. They should be good enough to provide a high primary or secondary income depending on where you live and how many servicenodes you set-up.
legendary
Decentralize Everything
The maximum number of service nodes at the moment is ~880 based on a coin supply of ~2,540,000.

This means that number 1 wallet would be able to run ~68 service nodes ( without worry about being dropped by the spread.  Interesting stuff.

68 full service/bitcoin nodes.  That would be a serious commitment to bandwidth bills Cheesy

Interesting, what is the calculation that you made to come up with 68?

I was going by mental arithmetic so I'll show you my rough working from memory.  I apologise for the mental back of fag packet calculations!

Number 1 wallet has ~200k SPR

Current coin supply is ~2,500,000

Max number of snodes (coin supply/2880)= 868

Based on the false premise that every coin will be used in a servicenode (I have no data to guess how many coins will be in snodes):

Max coin supply / Max snodes = 2880SPR

Meaning that if I was the owner of #1 wallet and I wanted to guarantee that all of my service nodes were in the spread I'd load each node with  2800SPR which means that I'd be able to afford to fund roughly 68 snodes in this way.

EDIT:  Correcting price error

A quick check on AWS estimates that it would cost $3000pm to run the following:

68 x T2.micro
68 x 60GB magnetic volumes
13,600GB outbound traffic
1360GB inbound traffic (free anyway)

This means the #1 wallet holder would need to see about 130,000SPR per month (at current price) to break even)

goodness gracious, that's certainly cost prohibitive.  I was thinking a remote server in the range of $ 5 month/node would be borderline feasible but would need the price of spr to reach beyond .000205 to be profitable.

Since the primary objective is decentralization, why not tie cpu mining to spr's first reward service?  It would strengthen the network, be something anyone could jump into with little cost, wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and provide preliminary insight into how the competition dynamics will play out.   

This does more to highlight the prohibitive cost of outgoing/upload traffic on AWS.

There are VPS providers who can provide the required bandwidth for a full bitcoin node for far less it seems.
Jump to: