Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | True Decentralization (No Pools) | Testing New Masternodes - page 31. (Read 810028 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
There was an update due, but that is going to be deferred, because there is an update due  Grin
legendary
no found blocks in last 24h :/
Net hashrate is almost the same ... Are there problems or this is pure luck?, Normally I'd expect at least 10 blocks mining with 3 750Ti

All seems ok to me.
Activity: 666
Merit: 500
im test SpreadCoin-Qt on mac 10.10.3 ^ sync good ^ work fine !

Thx georgem
legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001
no found blocks in last 24h :/
Net hashrate is almost the same ... Are there problems or this is pure luck?, Normally I'd expect at least 10 blocks mining with 3 750Ti
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278
Damn, this thread is starting to heat up and get addictive.

Hopefully, we'll have some servicenode testing in the not too distant future to distract you again  Wink

All I've done is bring the published list of SPR developers into line with reality and make people aware that I'm not in a position to commit to being a developer.

I'll still be pitching in occasionally but in several areas my perceptions are starting to differ sufficiently from (what I perceive to be) the consensus that it basically renders irrelevant any contribution I might make in that context, so I'm opting to keep my own counsel there.

Cheers

Graham

Activity: 178
Merit: 100
Nodes That Serve
Devs
Georgem
gjhiggins
elbandi
Gladimor (TBC)
A-Russo
MrSpread (MIA)

I seem to be doing more harm than good.

Cheers

Graham

How so?
I always appreciate your comments and your contributions.
Always reminding me that I could be forgetting something important.

Stick around!

+1

Things are just starting to cook around here.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
Devs
Georgem
gjhiggins
elbandi
Gladimor (TBC)
A-Russo
MrSpread (MIA)

Cheers

Graham

How so?
I always appreciate your comments and your contributions.
Always reminding me that I could be forgetting something important.

Stick around!
legendary
I don't think the comment about licensing and project liabilities was meant in any negative way.
-snip-
And I'm not really in a position to devote the time, I'm overdue getting back to documenting DOACC and developing Minkiz content.

Cheers

Graham

Damn, this thread is starting to heat up and get addictive.

Hopefully, we'll have some servicenode testing in the not too distant future to distract you again  Wink
legendary
I don't think the comment about licensing and project liabilities was meant in any negative way.

Me neither.

It wasn't a rage quit, I shouldn't really have been on the list in the first place.

Originally, I punted some stuff at Mr Spread and he picked some holes in it. palmdetroit cleaned it up and issued a pull which Mr Spread accepted. Hardly rates as “dev” status, so when the dev list was posted including my name, I debated with myself whether I ought to withdraw at that point, decided that such an action could easily be misconstrued as having negative connotations and decided to correct it later when things had settled a bit.

Today's reposting reminded me and I gave a ironically self-deprecating reason obliquely referencing the fact that I'd wound up georgem, without actually gaining anything.

And I'm not really in a position to devote the time, I'm overdue getting back to documenting DOACC and developing Minkiz content.

Cheers

Graham
legendary
Devs
Georgem
gjhiggins
elbandi
Gladimor (TBC)
A-Russo
MrSpread (MIA)

Cheers

Graham

As a first step I would be happy if someone could just build linux 32/64bit binaries using gitian, complete with signatures etc...
and create a tutorial / video explaining how he did it.

You're not the only one hoping for a visit from the software fairy.

But even so, what you're wishing for won't help anyone much. It's not the process of compiling the linux binaries that typically presents problems, the nightmare is in the identification of the precise population of the architecture- and version-specific support libraries that are required for the successful compilation/execution of Windows and Mac binaries for different versions of the respective OSes/architectures. The process is so involved and time-consuming (typically, days of trial-and-error compilation required) that those who've been consistently successful are obliged to amortize the cost commercially by selling the service.

It's not rocket surgery and I'd be quite prepared to take a stab, except that it'd be a week/fortnight's work in return for a grand sum of about $5. It just doesn't make economic sense unless I can amortize the cost in a sustainable way.

Those looking to a future for the SPR blockchain have few options: crowdfund a commercial solution or pitch in individually on a volunteer basis either to build OS-specific binaries on their own platforms and find a solution for the distribution and liability issues (the most significant barrier) or fund their generation by a limited-liability commercial service.

In short, the collectively-chosen product option does not include support for gitian builds, this is an optional extra with an associated additional cost aimed at providing some liability protection for the publisher from “your binary lost my 3.5 million SPR, you’ll be hearing from my lawyer”.

Lots of angles change dramatically when the business plan is taken seriously; volunteers receive scant protection and in consequence are extremely vulnerable to vexatious assumptions of liability. By contrast, those who provide limited-liability commercial solutions are well-protected and vulnerable only to liabilities arising from their own malfeasance.

Cheers

Graham

So how does bitcoin do it?
Who is responsible / liable for the gitian-built wallets you can download at bitcoin.org?

Isn't the MIT license handling exactly the things you are so afraid of?

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Most important part of this license:

"THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND"

legendary
Devs
Georgem
gjhiggins
elbandi
Gladimor (TBC)
A-Russo