Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | True Decentralization (No Pools) | Testing New Masternodes - page 416. (Read 810079 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Only had chance to skim it but it's clearly a cut above the usual effort. I've not been able to spot anything obvious that needs correcting. I'll read it in detail later. Good job. Good English, too, fwiw.

I very much agree that this is one of the most well written whitepapers around the alt community.  This is the caliber of work that I always expect to see and am usually very disappointed.

I've been over the whitepaper a few times and over the implementation details a few times.  Unlike Graham, I have spotted a few possibly "obvious" things that lead to some questions and comments.

Most importantly, what prevents a pool from using indistinguishability obfuscation of garbled circuits or Gentry style FHE to deliver (each block) a circuit to a worker that allows the worker to sign valid work, but nothing else? This would add quite a bit of overhead to the signing step for the worker (hitting 1kh/s might even be optimistic, heh) but pooling can still occur and that overhead will only come down in time.

(This is generally an open question going back to at least 2011.  My understanding is it is commonly held that avoiding pooling in general is just mathematically impossible, and specifically because of secure function evaluation.)

Similarly, it seems like a *blinded* multisig escrow (as discussed at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blind-signatures-using-bitcoin-compatible-ecdsa-440572 and elsewhere) could be employed for a decentralized pool, assuming a specific participant is trusted with redistribution of funds.  (However I may have missed a check that would preclude this. It does seem like it would be possible to avoid, and even not all that difficult, unlike the SFE problem.)

Of lesser concern, I haven't seen any check during address generation or signing that the address is actually able to be extracted from signatures.  Not all addresses will be.  It isn't immediately clear to me what happens in this case.  I suspect it just means stales that die somewhere under processblock and never get broadcast.  (?)

Finally, it seems like the goal of avoiding immense gpu/fpga/asic gains over CPU is somewhat precluded by the scheme itself.  By ignoring nonce (other than perhaps the 64-way parallelism you can get "for free" from the masking) and instead iterating on r point values (parallel deterministic selection of k) you can maintain an efficient single-point "wave-front" (and as such a minimum of memory bandwidth utilization) against only one block instance in memory by having each hasher just fill in its distinct signature of the same nonce.  By churning just signature+hash instead of nonce&hash+signature+hash you would eliminate the secondary bottleneck for parallelism, and get performance much more comparable to "just" x11 hashing.

You, of course, want to know what are these ideas but I cannot disclose them; other developer (or even a team) can steal my ideas and implement in other coins.

This is some rhetoric that I'm somewhat surprised to see here.  This sort of statement is usually something I see more often from "shadier" development camps, not the people attempting any "actual" potential innovations.  Most of us doing real work usually *want* to get that work passed by peers as early as we can!

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your noble endeavor.  I hope that I am wrong and that what you are trying to do is not simply impossible.   Wink

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Right now I'm working on further optimizing CPU mining. GPU miner is inevitable and we want CPU mining to be more competitive to it when it will appear and if this miner will be private we want network to have higher hashrate compared to any GPUs which will use it. If all goes well I will release optimized version today.

After that I will hold a giveaway (or several giveaways in different places) to spread SpreadCoin.

Mr. Spread, if there are some interesting and still unimplemented concepts in bitcoin that you still want to implement?
Yes, I already wrote about it:
I have several great ideas about possible features (never implemented before in other altcoins) in addition to poolless mining but they all require thorough design and thought so they will take considerable amount of time.
You, of course, want to know what are these ideas but I cannot disclose them; other developer (or even a team) can steal my ideas and implement in other coins. What I can say now is that I will not introduce any new controversial changes (e.g. pool absence is both good and bad as you said). All further changes will be strictly positive and will not be disruptive (i.e. changing mining algorithm is probably not an option).
Anyway, any new features can only be introduced in a more remote future, currently we need to focus on promotion and exchanges.
Activity: 127
Merit: 101
a bigger exchange is badly needed.
Prior to that, a bigger promotion is badly needed.
Seconded. Any exhange is fine. It's just must be at least one for our convenience. If coin will be popular, volume will be big too, even on small exchange which adopted it first.

But what can we do? An article on some cryptonews site would be nice. But how to interest them in the first place? SPR is very nice coin: it's cpu-only (for most miners, anyway), very decentralized and everybody have roughly equal power to mine. It's as cute as early bitcoin and better than it technically.

Pool absence is both good and bad. But I believe it's much more good than bad.

Mr. Spread, if there are some interesting and still unimplemented concepts in bitcoin that you still want to implement?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Prior to that, a bigger promotion is badly needed.
Activity: 195
Activity: 350
I optimized mining and used optimizations from darkcoin cpuminer. Improvements are not dramatic but hashrate is noticeable faster. This is for 64-bit only. It uses extended instruction sets, I tested in on my CPU but I cannot guarantee that it will work for you, please test (except for the mining these builds are exactly the same as current version).
Windows wallet (64-bit)
Linux wallet (64-bit)
If you want to build from source then checkout the 'cpuminer1.2' branch.

I plan to further optimize mining.

improve more than 25% here.

Thanks
Activity: 177
the price is dirt cheap now Angry Angry

The price ain't bad, it just needs more volume.
@DEV,any plan for the future development??  Huh Huh
the price is dirt cheap now Angry Angry
What do you mean by bigger version, what resolution? Qt wallet has 256x256 logo. Where should it display big logo?

I don't see any logo in the windows wallet in any version.  Huh It doesn't matter, really, but anyway. That's what i had in mind.

You said it like it is something usual but I never saw logo in this place in other coins.

Mr. Spread, can you add the option to show network and local hashrate in kh/s or mh/s? It will make client a bit more userfriendly.
Will do
Mr. Spread, can you add the option to show network and local hashrate in kh/s or mh/s? It will make client a bit more userfriendly.

Network hashrate is displayed in mh/s in the blockchain explorer found here:
http://spreadcoin.net/explorer/

But, yeah local hashrate would look good in kh/s at least. Idk if there is anyone that can pull 1 mh/s at this moment from one machine, given that it is a cpu only coin.

I've made a spreadsheet where you can add your hashrate so we can have a view on what speeds to expect:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPPTYMsdIdEYpwJ-hRfvUVBYHBeySUOH2HV8InXmQwM/edit?usp=sharing

Let's see which cpu gives best speeds and please add other relevant info in the google doc.
Activity: 121
Merit: 10
Why #scattercoin (STC)might go to the MOON‼️

Read the review:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annscattercoinxstc-anonymous-x11-pow-pospayments-online-788444

#STC #CANN   #uro #apex #vdo #LTCD #via #arch #btc

GTFO! Ignored!
Is there no pool still ,how can we get it? solo only?

Yes, only solo.

There will be no pools, spreadcoin is completely decentralized
Activity: 123
Is there no pool still ,how can we get it? solo only?
Activity: 127
wtb some SPR at 0.0003 LTC (about 300 satoshis) Allcrypt.com. Make your order, name your price. Also Allcrypt is pretty laggy today. Well i don't even can place the order. Edit: Lol, looks like I'm too late. There is some pump on betasharex. Edit 2: or not.
What do you mean by bigger version, what resolution? Qt wallet has 256x256 logo. Where should it display big logo?

I don't see any logo in the windows wallet in any version.  Huh It doesn't matter, really, but anyway. That's what i had in mind.
We are also on AllCrypt: https://www.allcrypt.com/market?id=1195

Is there any ideas?
But we need bigger version of current logo for QT wallet (maybe Mr. Spread has it but he forgot/don't care to add it to the wallet).

Great news! We are on 2 exchanges, but we need to start getting some volume.
We are also on AllCrypt: https://www.allcrypt.com/market?id=1195

Is there any ideas?
But we need bigger version of current logo for QT wallet (maybe Mr. Spread has it but he forgot/don't care to add it to the wallet).
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1170
Advertise Here - PM for more info!
We're proud to announce to SpreadCoin community that we added SPR/BTC market pair on BetaShareX Exchange.

BetaShareX offers 2 Factor Authentication, 24/7 helpdesk support, onsite chat support, 30+ market pairs to trade, SSL connection, fast browsing, high security standards.
Enjoy the next generation of cryptocurrency Exchange!

Trade your SpreadCoin safely on https://betasharex.com/trade/SPR/BTC.

Enjoy.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BetaShareX

Email: [email protected]

Support : support.betasharex

IRC: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/BetaShareX

Great news!
Is there any ideas?
You must ask developer, I guess.
In my humble opinion current logo is fine and we don't need another one. But we need bigger version of current logo for QT wallet (maybe Mr. Spread has it but he forgot/don't care to add it to the wallet).

And we are very much in need of promotion. I dunno if Mr. Spread has additional plans for SPR development, but in its current state SPR is fine already. But only about 100 people or less mine it. For wide audience it's still looks like premine. Well, it was not a problem for DRK. But monero for bytecoin in other hand...

My hashrate is still bigger than my share of coins, so my chunk still grows bigger and maybe in my short-time interest to save status quo. And maybe many miners think the same way. But we need promotion for success.

And exchanges can greatly help in this. It doesn't matter if price will be low at the beginning. Some of early miners will sell coins cheap and believers (as me) will be happy to buy cheap.

You can vote for spreadcoin here:
https://askcoin.net/votes

and:
https://bter.com/voting
Jump to: