Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 18. (Read 45657 times)

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
Two words - App Store  Smiley

2 words: kicked out

Perhaps CCM is referring to this section of the OP:
The Ellet can also update automatically from the Ellet store, and wireless download Ellet plugins like margin trading plugins for Kronos.io.

If the intention is to follow Apple's "crystal prison" business model, I would want nothing to do with this device. 
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Store half of seed on the device, and other half on the paper and the other half is your password you manually type in.

So the seed has 3 halves?  Sounds complicated.
"Introducing... the One Point Five system! Three halves to be 1.5 times as secure! Coming to a pocket near you, as long as you have a good memory." Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Store half of seed on the device, and other half on the paper and the other half is your password you manually type in.

So the seed has 3 halves?  Sounds complicated.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Apple will be implementing their own version of the bitcoin software on their devices, and only let you spend it on approved products and services. They wouldn't give that up to the likes of us.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
Two words - App Store  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
In 6 months you'll know more.
Printed with smudgy ink
legendary
Activity: 938
What's a GPU?
[...]rivaling even the iPod.

Such ambition! I can't wait Grin
donator
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Wow, where can I buy some equity in this Matthew guy? He is quite an entrepreneur.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
nothing on it -> can't make ecdsa signatures -> can't send bitcoins.
Load everything from from microsd card or paper

seed-on-paper approach -> steal paper.

or store nothing on the device, store half the seed on paper(QRcode or microsd card) and the other half in your brain that you manually type in upon wanting to load.
(This is obviously not the one size fits all solution as everyone has different security preferences but since we are down this road)
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
As a dedicated, encrypted and hardware locked device, the Ellet is safe from hacking, malware, and even if stolen, cannot be used to take your money.
do you even self believe that? Anything, can be hacked. I don't care about nice and funky hardware features: it will be broken, FAST.

I believe it, its very feasible to have Ellet device not store anything at all and still be able to send bitcoins. Thus in the event of a stolen ellet device there is nothing on it to steal. The wallet seed could be stored by some other means(laminated paper, manually typing it in, or inserting and SD card,etc) and when the ellet device user is ready to send they load it up(This level of security is obviously for only people that hold alot of BTC in their device and/or use it for business transactions)
nothing on it -> can't make ecdsa signatures -> can't send bitcoins.
something on it -> hackable/stealable/cheatable -> can send bitcoins.
seed-on-paper approach -> steal paper.
legendary
As a dedicated, encrypted and hardware locked device, the Ellet is safe from hacking, malware, and even if stolen, cannot be used to take your money.
do you even self believe that? Anything, can be hacked. I don't care about nice and funky hardware features: it will be broken, FAST.

I believe it, its very feasible to have Ellet device not store anything at all and still be able to send bitcoins. Thus in the event of a stolen ellet device there is nothing on it to steal. The wallet seed could be stored by some other means(laminated paper, manually typing it in, or inserting and SD card,etc) and when the ellet device user is ready to send they load it up(This level of security is obviously for only people that hold alot of BTC in their device and/or use it for business transactions)
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
"Ellet" sounds awful  Shocked

I want to go on record in stating that I don't dislike the name because of the way it sounds or looks (in fact, I'm intrigued by the word), but  I am against naming the product such from a marketing standpoint. Unless the domain ellet.com is own by the team, of which I seriously doubt,

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ELLET.COM
Created on: 28-Jun-98
Expires on: 27-Jun-16
Last Updated on: 11-Jul-11

then that fact alone makes it dead-in-the-water, I believe, coupled with the following: https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ellet  =  About 2,120,000 results (0.15 seconds). That's the point I was trying to bring home.

In no way were my earlier posts meant as humor toward the product or Matthew. I was simply intrigued with the product and desire to see it succeed, but with proper branding. The product alone will have an uphill battle, so why add improper SEO into the mix, starting with the product's name.

Allow me to illustrate:

Bob: Nice product you have there. What is it?
Alice: It's an Ellet. I never have to carry any forms of money again, for it's all safely stored on my portable cloud.
Bob: Neat! How do you spell that?
Alice: E-L-L-E-T.
Bob: Great! Simple enough. I'll look it up when I get home. (or search on his smartphone when he has more time)
BoB: (later that same day, he searches for Ellet, remembering the spelling) What the fuck! So many results. Maybe I spelled it wrong. I don't have time for this. Too bad Alice was a stranger, or I would call her to get some more information about that great Ellet thing she had. Damn it!

Now, I hope that the above drives home the important point I've been trying to relay.

Later, Matthew.

~Bruno~
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Seriously tho if you really trust that all smartphone manufactures are not hiding packets of data that send statistical usage and data behind your back(without your consent) then please continue to use the smartphones to trust your money with it.

"Trust but Verify" is my motto. 

Here's a scenario for you.  I receive a paper check from a customer for $1,000 for services rendered.  I take a picture of said check with my smartphone, and it deposits that money into my bank account.  After ACH clearing that night, the next day I walk into my local bank and withdraw said $1,000.

This is a service supplied by several large US banks.  Personally my tin foil hat is just as large as yours appears to be and won't let me utilize this service, but vast numbers of the public do.

The money/time/energy would be better spent integrating this concept into NFC/Bluetooth smartphone transactions.  See how many smartphones around the world are already being used for micropayments.  If you could one-up them by adding paypal, dwolla, btc, etc, you might have a viable business model.

Hence my opinion that the time/energy/money being spent here would be better spent making the software and then hardening software/infrastructure etc.  If Chase Bank can [pay some developers to] do it, surely some group here in Bitcoinia (word?) can do it as well or better.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
The Ellet functions instantly for Bitcoin transactions and incorporates a secure Electrum client written specifically for Ellet architecture.

Can the owner specify the server it will connect to, and eventually set up his own?
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
People who think the resources which are used to provide certain services in the traditional banking system magically appear out of thin air are going to be confused about why it doesn't work the same way in a Bitcoin economy.
Very true, but the original argument was whether a user paid specifically for fraud protection, perhaps as a line item. Not where the funds to cover it came from. I am not disputing that banks create money or at least do so indirectly by getting funds from the fed.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
Why do I need to be suspicious? I have a balance sheet with hard numbers on it. Are you going to argue with math and hard numbers?

As for the opportunity cost, well there is no cost if it isn't any worse than the other options, in terms of features and rates.

And I really don't know how the heck you got to the conclusion that anything was "perpetual". Just because one service pays out doesn't mean that there isn't another that sucks it right back in again. I just don't happen to use the credit services that charge 25% APR just because they can. So sue me for not using credit in the way that a bank would like me to, and leaching off of the non-credit, paying services.
The original question was whether or not the fraud protection provided by banks was free or not. It is not free because the resources the bank uses to refund your money in the event of a stolen card, for example, are resources they aren't using to pay you a higher interest rate on your deposits or provide other services. Likewise, deposit insurance is not free.

People who think the resources which are used to provide certain services in the traditional banking system magically appear out of thin air are going to be confused about why it doesn't work the same way in a Bitcoin economy.

I see, so if I use the bitcoin wallet instead am I going to get those extra interest payments from the wallet company instead of having them held by the bank?  And then I can pay for my insurance with them?
legendary

I think i might stick that in meh sig.... well said!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Why do I need to be suspicious? I have a balance sheet with hard numbers on it. Are you going to argue with math and hard numbers?

As for the opportunity cost, well there is no cost if it isn't any worse than the other options, in terms of features and rates.

And I really don't know how the heck you got to the conclusion that anything was "perpetual". Just because one service pays out doesn't mean that there isn't another that sucks it right back in again. I just don't happen to use the credit services that charge 25% APR just because they can. So sue me for not using credit in the way that a bank would like me to, and leaching off of the non-credit, paying services.
The original question was whether or not the fraud protection provided by banks was free or not. It is not free because the resources the bank uses to refund your money in the event of a stolen card, for example, are resources they aren't using to pay you a higher interest rate on your deposits or provide other services. Likewise, deposit insurance is not free.

Pages:
Jump to: