Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 15. (Read 45628 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

If you're judging me on my attacks of other supposed hardware that makes claims that not even Apple would make, then you are wasting your time with me because there are much more prominent figures with much deeper pockets who will say the same thing upon learning of their claims.

What would happen to your plans for the Ellet should the claims regarding the Bitcoincard turn out to be true?

Hence the rushed up announcement on his part... The Bitcoincard workshop was coming and he needed to build some hype for his own vapourware as a way to try and fade out the hype for the Bitcoincard vapourware.
I wasn't going to say anything, but after seeing him attacking BitcoinCard, while doing exactly the same thing with this Ellet, didn't felt quite right to me.

PS: I think any kind of Bitcoin wallet with an included tracking system sucks, so, that includes the Bitcoincard and the Ellet.
You won't see me buying any, that's for sure. My cell phone is enough, thank you.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

If you're judging me on my attacks of other supposed hardware that makes claims that not even Apple would make, then you are wasting your time with me because there are much more prominent figures with much deeper pockets who will say the same thing upon learning of their claims.

What would happen to your plans for the Ellet should the claims regarding the Bitcoincard turn out to be true?

Personally speaking, I'd be so excited for them for actually creating new technology that billions in technology investments across the world could not put together. It would be revolutionary.

Officially, It wouldn't affect the Ellet at all as the Ellet is intended to be a functional payment device capable of handling -all- relevant payment methods, utilize the infinite amount of existing infrastructure out there, and provide a marketable form factor and feature set that will bring non-bitcoiners into Bitcoin. Bitcoincard seems to be a nerds toy (no offense) with little to no chance of any kind of adoption in a real world environment. Also, given it's supposed form factor, it is more in competition with Casascius coins than the Ellet.

Yifu is also making a secure tablet for Bitcoin transactions. We have discussed this before several times, that neither of us are in competition with each other either as we offer completely different tools for completely different purposes.

The comments on some threads from some detractors that I'm "scared" of bitcoincard is just not true. I was hopeful, but then did my homework. The claims that I'm "bothered" by it are very true. As I was mentioning on IRC, it always bothers me when vaporware takes center stage over similar new technologies with actual working models. It's just a lesson to future scammers that deceptive marketing and flashy gadgets are apparently the only thing that gets bitcoiners' attention.

I as much as anyone else cannot wait much longer for the official Ellet announcement with all the proof everyone is looking for. It's on the top of my priorities now that the magazine is moderately self-sustaining.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.711305
I'm glad you printed a magazine, but I think the businesses that paid you for advertising were expecting a little more circulation than a few dozen copies. I have heard nothing more of your plans to get Bitcoin Magazine distributed. I want to believe you, but you juggle so many things without following through that it is hard to see where you are going with your businesses.

This post as well as yours will surely be deleted shortly as they are completely off-topic but I do feel it deserves a response of some sort. The magazine advertisers were in contact with us the entire time. You do not give us much credit for resolving issues and like most in the community assume way too much.

The plans to make a magazine in the first place were mine, but once you have a Board of Directors with experience in distribution, infrastructure, security, etc, you lose your ability to discuss every intimate detail with the open public. I promised that I'd keep the community involved in the direction and content of the magazine, but no one said I had to make it easy for competitors to compete.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

Only you say that the device exists and was already built...
Why should I or anyone else believe in you?

Don't believe me then.

When the videos and photos come out this week too, don't believe them.

When it's announced that 50,000 units are manufactured, don't believe it then either.

When your friends are holding it in their hands and using it on a daily basis, don't believe it then either.

I don't know what you want me to say. I cannot be your babysitter in life.

I exist here in ElletSys to be useful, create interesting services, products and technologies, and to support it with all that I know.

If you're judging me on my presentation, you're probably being thrown off by the fact that in the past I am well known for having fun while doing my job. I'm not going to change that just so a handful of detractors will have less FUD to spread.

Have some patience, argue your points with evidence, do whatever you like. It doesn't change anything.
legendary
Only you say that the device exists and was already built...
Why should I or anyone else believe in you?
So, once again here you are presenting vapourware.
You lost me here. Are you referring to the website itself which I didn't link to or the actual product which has already been built?

You should've learnt your lesson with the magazine.
Funny you mention that. Making the first issue of the Bitcoin magazine was a very humbling experience. Despite the constant trolling from the community, I did exactly what I set out to do and everything came together nicely. In fact, when it was finally received by the first readers it received more upvotes on Reddit than any post I've ever seen on /r/Bitcoin  Cheesy. I think although there were many skills learned during the development days of the magazine, the community is the one who needed to learn a lesson from that one.

You should also learn not to accuse other of presenting vapourware when you do exactly the same the thing.

You're a great guy Matthew, but you should learn to deal with competition a little better. The way you deal with it doesn't put you in a good light.

I appreciate the words of advice and I'll mull them over, however I think yourself included, many people here jump to conclusions as to the reasoning behind things far too easily. Bitcoinica hacked? "IT WAS ZHOUTONG!" Magazine late? "IT WAS A SCAM!"

I will gladly take the advice of the community but offer the advice of having some patience as well. I'm working on resolving the issues with ElletSys.com as we speak.
legendary
Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?
Should of read the first post better. Its not on kickstarter yet it will be soon. If you mouse over elletsys.com you can see that is the text they put over for the link(like saying click ), it actually leads to a reddit page. Its not even a redirect.

That's correct. KickStarter is a final stage and more or less for presentation and sales channels only. Going on KickStarter too early in the game is a huge risk to losing investors.

ElletSys.com is still being developed. In the meantime, you can follow the reddit and discuss relevant topics there.

So, once again here you are presenting vapourware.
You should've learnt your lesson with the magazine.
You should also learn not to accuse other of presenting vapourware when you do exactly the same the thing.

You're a great guy Matthew, but you should learn to deal with competition a little better. The way you deal with it doesn't put you in a good light.
Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?
Should of read the first post better. Its not on kickstarter yet it will be soon. If you mouse over elletsys.com you can see that is the text they put over for the link(like saying click ), it actually leads to a reddit page. Its not even a redirect.

That's correct. KickStarter is a final stage and more or less for presentation and sales channels only. Going on KickStarter too early in the game is a huge risk to losing investors.

ElletSys.com is still being developed. In the meantime, you can follow the reddit and discuss relevant topics there.
REF
Activity: 529
Is this device real?

donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
I don't understand how this device will connect to the network without SIM.
I also don't understand how this could work globally.

Anyway, wish you good luck with this project!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
Sorry, I have tried Bitcoinspinner extensively and it is not always snappy..

It will never be as fast as a thin client like paytunia because a thin client does not need to update a local chain.
This is off topic but I don't know what you're talking about. BitcoinSpinner is a thin client, it doesn't have a local blockchain. It uses a server to handle the blockchain. Private keys are stored on the device, the neat thing is that it doesn't require any registration.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Is this device real?

I'm not at liberty to say  Cool
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Is this device real?

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas
Indeed, my $30 has already been spent on this.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Putting something like this in a watch is very interesting idea indeed.

Subbed.

A)I believe I have missed something. I've read through 6 pages of post. I don't see anywhere where it verifies the person sending you the bitcoins actually has them. Can I make a copy of my wallet at one point in time, clone it to a second SDCARD, put it on 2 ellets and send money to 2 people? It doesn't store the blockchain. So if you are in a place with no wireless and no cellular, I can't possibly see how you can't clone your wallet and spend twice. I mean hell, someone can find a way to open one, kill the antennae, and just walk around spending a bucket load of money at say a trade convention. Lets go a step further. Find the spectrum this uses and kill it with a jammer. You could walk around all day just going "oh look, no signal here. Have 30 bucks" and disappear into the shadows.

B) As others said. The name isn't very good, but whatever. It doesn't flow if you ask me.

C) This will be hacked. Saying it can't, just makes you a bigger target. This deals with money, you already have a large mark on your back. See: iphone, onstar, etc

D) I'd say an app I can put on any phone I'm already I'm carrying in my pocket would be a huge plus. I'm not opposed to another device, depending on the size. When you carry a gun in one pocket, earbuds,gum,cellphone in another and a wallet in one back pocket, you really don't wan't to have leave an implant in the other cheek.

E) If you can get it to the right size and display the time, this would make a great watch replacement. Heck, I still might build a strap to keep it on my wrist, no worries about theft under a long shirt then.

EDIT:F) Accept credit cards. I got a square up device a bit ago. This is awesome for me when I'm at shows. Instant payment that everyone already has, especially when they don't carry around a few $100 in cash. As for the fee, I add it to their total.
As far as "A" goes you mis understand how transactions are proccesed with lite bitcoin clients. This device verifies from multiple servers to increase confidence and will output the level of confidence it has when sending,recieivng or checking balances. Something bitcoindcard dosent have the proccessing power to check for(although that is an assumption about bitcoincard specs i could be wrong)

I was very aware of how lite clients work. Which is why I need this information in order for it to all make sense:
Update: Added the following update to the first release statement.

• Connectivity -- The Ellet can connect on the go to any mobile network around the world, no need for any additional mobile accounts, bothersome SIM cards, or the purchase of any external repeater systems. It also works on Wifi too to provide you with uninterrupted signal to suit your needs.

So without any wifi or cellular (granted hard to find today), these things won't work. It's a good thing.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Jeez, you guys are really criticizing this pre-announcement. You haven't even given the "backers" a chance to postpone the actual announcement.
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
Problem is not *your* phone getting hacked but some bitcoin price widget that is installed on millions of phones turn into a bitcoin steal widget sending all the money from all those phones home.

If I'm not mistaken, Android applications are sandboxed and do not have access to other applications private data.

good point.
sandbox can be broken, app could have "Chernobyl"-permissions. shit could happen...
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Problem is not *your* phone getting hacked but some bitcoin price widget that is installed on millions of phones turn into a bitcoin steal widget sending all the money from all those phones home.

If I'm not mistaken, Android applications are sandboxed and do not have access to other applications private data.

good point.

makes me wonder why their even is an anti-virus built into android then....
Activity: 784
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr
I have tried "embedded key" solutions for mobile: they just do not work for me because there is the time when I want to make a quick send and the device wants to update its block chain.

I need to wait a few seconds or minutes and that turns the user experience to really bad compared to just any other payment solutions.

IMHO, thin clients (with backend hosted keys) are the way to go mobile.

The keys do not have to be on the server for the device to be snappy. Try BitcoinSpinner for android or the Ellet once it is publicly available.

Sorry, I have tried Bitcoinspinner extensively and it is not always snappy..

It will never be as fast as a thin client like paytunia because a thin client does not need to update a local chain.
Pages:
Jump to: