Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 13. (Read 45657 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

I would like to point out that it's been more than a week.

Do your calendar and clock require a repeater and other clock in a 150 meter radius in order to function?
I guess it needs to be recharged at least once a day...
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Do your calendar and clock require a repeater and other clock in a 150 meter radius in order to function?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
Activity: 686
Wat

Most excellent, Matthew. 

Will it come with horse wallpaper?

Don't put it past me to include easter eggs like that.

A secret episode of bittalk.tv only available to ellet owners lol
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Will it support ipv6? Launching a mobile device right now that doesn't support ipv6 would pretty much make it obsolete before even being manufactured. Although it would be a great upsell for later versions. Planned obsolescence and all that.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
So what is this secret weapon I heard about before cut off from the chat?

I'm guessing it's a wrist watch? hehe
Come on, spill all the info, you know you want to.
Just how far along is it, anyway? It's been more than a week since it was supposed to be announced in a week. I see that the OP has been edited.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
So what is this secret weapon I heard about before cut off from the chat?

I'm guessing it's a wrist watch? hehe
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
I'm just going to briefly jump into this thread to correct some misinformation about amateur radio (ham radio):

1) the international governing organisation is IARU; not FCC

I'm not concerned with the IARU, it's the FCC that controls my license.

2) FCC is an obsession of the American radio amateurs. The reason for this is that historically most American hams held radio-operator positions in some military service. Most importantly they bring with them paranoia and indoctrination prevalent in the American military.

Nope, it's because it's the law in the US.

5) Amateur radio actively encourages experimentation with the following disclaimers:

5a) don't interfere with other radio users
5b) identify your transmission in a way that can be discerned by ear by an ordinarily skilled radio operator using oridinary equipment
5c) publish all the technical information required to demodulate your experimental transmissions
5d) maintain (for about a year) the original text,voice,video,whatever used in your experimental transmissions and be ready to submit them to the licensing authorities
5e) there are additional restrictions on use of high power or wideband transmitters.

The rule 5b) means that every about an hour you have to transmit your callsign using Morse code or one of the classical audio modulations. In case of digital radio the Morse code doesn't have to be transmitted using unmodulated carrier (CW). It is sufficient to alter the parameters of your digital modulation in such a way that when listened on the audio the operator can by ear discern those changes and understand them as Morse code.

Digital radios can transmit the callsigns in their normal mode, so long as they are in the clear. In the case of modified wifi gear, this usually means in the SSID.

6) Amateur radio clearly prohibits for profit broadcasting and advertising. This rule is frequently misunderstood to prohibit any commerce or any monetary exchange. It isn't against the rules to facilitate person to person exchanges of value.
Again, nope.  Not in the US anyway.  The classic example is that you can't order a pizza over ham radio bands but you can over CB. Although bitcoin's protocol doesn't actually facilitate a business transaction, it's the result of one, so I don't know how it would work out.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Hello!
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
 Plus, the fact that your broadcasting noise would raise questions and it wouldn't be too hard to track down the transmitter to get those questions answered.

And that’s where I get the affirmation that transmitting encrypted through ham radio data is a bust. Glad we talked this out guise.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
watching. will be great to see how this + bitcoincard develops..
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Most excellent, Matthew. 

Don't put it past me to include easter eggs like that.
legendary
Activity: 1904

I was under the impression scrambling is just a measure to prevent anyone from just "listening in" by turning on their ham radio--I'm talking about the following

Digital Represented values are encrypted into a Digital format by a key the receiver already knows.
The digital encrypted message is converted into analog values that are represented by a key table that the receiver already knows.
Now the sender broadcasts the message in analog(sound/light spectrum) but it isn't represented with two values, instead it is represented by the whole analog spectrum.
The receiver decodes the analog signal with a key table... Then decrypts the signal into digital represented values.

Im not sure what my "theory" would make the broadcast sound like to a listener but at least it doesn't sound like off and on ticks and thus the FCC would get a signal but it would be static... so the FCC could prove a signal is coming from somewhere but not know why they are broadcasting static Tongue (of course im still assuming my broadcast would sound like static or weird noises of some sort... makes me want to try it out...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambler
Wikipedia gives me the impression scrambling is just packets of analog signals moved in different positions in the timeline where the reciever has a decoder that buffers packets and then puts them in the correct order for play back.

I'm interested in your opinion because you seem to know what your talking about.
i don't think you can do that losslessly. there needs to be some kind of binary system in it, so you can make it digital again.

You just need to quantize it, not necessarily binary.  For example you could take each byte of binary data, and map it onto an analog signal.  The low end of the signal would be 0 and the high end would be 255.  Of course, you will need redundant transmission and error correction because your analog signal will get distorted by noise.  The more bits you map to each analog value, the more problems you will have with errors.
exactly what i was talking about. i just could not put it into words. would such signal be detectable because of the "hops", like there is only 34 and 35 but not 34,5. would it not leave a empty "space" between 34 and 35?

You would have ranges where each value would be represented.  Say 34-35 represents 01101100 (arbitrary, don't try to figure it out).  You would have a tradeoff between accuracy and obfuscation.  If you broadcast 34.5 you'll have the best chance of falling in the proper range after your signal is corrupted by noise.  If your signal is strong enough and there is minimal noise, you can choose any random number in the range each time.  You could probably make it look a lot like analog noise if you tried hard enough, but you would have a tough time broadcasting over any distance.  Plus, the fact that your broadcasting noise would raise questions and it wouldn't be too hard to track down the transmitter to get those questions answered.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive

Most excellent, Matthew. 

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Ill be watching this, good work.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!

I was under the impression scrambling is just a measure to prevent anyone from just "listening in" by turning on their ham radio--I'm talking about the following

Digital Represented values are encrypted into a Digital format by a key the receiver already knows.
The digital encrypted message is converted into analog values that are represented by a key table that the receiver already knows.
Now the sender broadcasts the message in analog(sound/light spectrum) but it isn't represented with two values, instead it is represented by the whole analog spectrum.
The receiver decodes the analog signal with a key table... Then decrypts the signal into digital represented values.

Im not sure what my "theory" would make the broadcast sound like to a listener but at least it doesn't sound like off and on ticks and thus the FCC would get a signal but it would be static... so the FCC could prove a signal is coming from somewhere but not know why they are broadcasting static Tongue (of course im still assuming my broadcast would sound like static or weird noises of some sort... makes me want to try it out...)

Wikipedia gives me the impression scrambling is just packets of analog signals moved in different positions in the timeline where the reciever has a decoder that buffers packets and then puts them in the correct order for play back.

I'm interested in your opinion because you seem to know what your talking about.
i don't think you can do that losslessly. there needs to be some kind of binary system in it, so you can make it digital again.

You just need to quantize it, not necessarily binary.  For example you could take each byte of binary data, and map it onto an analog signal.  The low end of the signal would be 0 and the high end would be 255.  Of course, you will need redundant transmission and error correction because your analog signal will get distorted by noise.  The more bits you map to each analog value, the more problems you will have with errors.
exactly what i was talking about. i just could not put it into words. would such signal be detectable because of the "hops", like there is only 34 and 35 but not 34,5. would it not leave a empty "space" between 34 and 35?
legendary
Activity: 1904

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1073
I'm just going to briefly jump into this thread to correct some misinformation about amateur radio (ham radio):

1) the international governing organisation is IARU; not FCC

2) FCC is an obsession of the American radio amateurs. The reason for this is that historically most American hams held radio-operator positions in some military service. Most importantly they bring with them paranoia and indoctrination prevalent in the American military.

3) It is a violation of the amateur radio rules to transmit radio signals that require some secret to interpret.

4) Bitcoin uses cryptography for signatures, not for encryption. All information required to understand the transmissions is public.

5) Amateur radio actively encourages experimentation with the following disclaimers:

5a) don't interfere with other radio users
5b) identify your transmission in a way that can be discerned by ear by an ordinarily skilled radio operator using oridinary equipment
5c) publish all the technical information required to demodulate your experimental transmissions
5d) maintain (for about a year) the original text,voice,video,whatever used in your experimental transmissions and be ready to submit them to the licensing authorities
5e) there are additional restrictions on use of high power or wideband transmitters.

The rule 5b) means that every about an hour you have to transmit your callsign using Morse code or one of the classical audio modulations. In case of digital radio the Morse code doesn't have to be transmitted using unmodulated carrier (CW). It is sufficient to alter the parameters of your digital modulation in such a way that when listened on the audio the operator can by ear discern those changes and understand them as Morse code.

6) Amateur radio clearly prohibits for profit broadcasting and advertising. This rule is frequently misunderstood to prohibit any commerce or any monetary exchange. It isn't against the rules to facilitate person to person exchanges of value.

7) Politeness and common courtesy gets you far more in amateur radio than the strict obeyance of the rules and regulations.
Pages:
Jump to: