Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][BMR] Bitmonero - a new coin based on CryptoNote technology - LAUNCHED - page 17. (Read 68776 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101
I'm seeing a ton of red in bitmonerod - presumably this is the issue displaying itself.

Do I need to re-download the blockchain? Download a new wallet  or bitmonerod? Just leave it mining and it will fix itself?

Thanks.

It's a soft fork so prior blocks should be OK, just need to recompile

Yes. No actions from node operators is needed just now. As soon a fix will be pushed to repo you need to replace old binaries to new ones. But in any way this will not be an urgent issue. The problem now is that nobody can include that transaction in block Wink As soon as it will be accepted network will continue normal operations.
fix coming soon, it looks like get_block_reward doesn't work as intended.

i will pm thankful_for_today with some c code to disable adaptive block sizing and set blocksize limits to those similar in bitcoin, then we should be back on track with a hardfork i hope.

Hello!

It's allright Smiley
I have a fix and I will deploy it now.
Hardfork is not required. The problem is in mining code not in protocol rules.

10 minutes, please Wink

cool, sounds good Smiley

The problem is in block generation code. In one of last updates in Bytecoin there was a bug introduced: it calculates extra-size penalty the wrong way. As a result we see that a mined block isn't accepted by the network. I will consume the big transaction now into correct block. As soon as network accepts this block I will release new mining code to git.

Here is the tx that caused the problem:

id:
blob_size: 20534

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
I'm seeing a ton of red in bitmonerod - presumably this is the issue displaying itself.

Do I need to re-download the blockchain? Download a new wallet  or bitmonerod? Just leave it mining and it will fix itself?

Thanks.

It's a soft fork so prior blocks should be OK, just need to recompile
Activity: 658
Merit: 500

i will pm thankful_for_today with some c code to disable adaptive block sizing and set blocksize limits to those similar in bitcoin, then we should be back on track with a hardfork i hope.

Hello!

It's allright Smiley

10 minutes, please Wink

Thanks.
legendary

Hello!

It's allright Smiley

10 minutes, please Wink

cool, sounds good Smiley

Hello!

It's allright Smiley

10 minutes, please Wink
legendary

Activity: 560
so, should we stop mining or what?  Huh i just found a block few hours back

The current situation is that someone disabled mempool and forked the chain so that the invalid tx doesn't get in the way. But the difficulty hasn't changed much so blocks are being found much more rarely than 1 minute. So you can mine, it's just very slow. A few people are on the freenode channel trying to solve the cause of the problem.
Activity: 543
so, should we stop mining or what?  Huh i just found a block few hours back
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Live fast, die young lol
legendary
so here's the scoop

Code:
 yeah so from what i can tell
blockchain_storage.cpp and/or the rest of the daemon is calculating the coinbase tx subsidies in different ways
it wasn't an issue before, but two hours ago i tried to spend pretty much everything at one of my coinbase tx and the tx hit the network

trying to figure out what in the fork code broke this right now.
Well, that was fun while it lasted.
legendary
blockchain stuck?

i'm getting errors like this http://pastebin.com/i1cDvfBs, not moving any blocks in the right direction

Yeah -- it looks like a tx entered the network that violates client spend rule, and now it's in everyone's mempools

If you want to keep mining blocks you can probably temporarily disable mempool, but obviously no tx will go through the network

I'm gonna dump the blockchain now and have a look
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
blockchain stuck?

i'm getting errors like this http://pastebin.com/i1cDvfBs, not moving any blocks in the right direction
legendary
so, bitmonero blockchain apparently died (lol) and no one is getting new blocks

trying to figure out what went wrong
How long does it take to mine a block with a i7 3770 ?
(just to know if it is doable...)

It's solo mineable with that and perhaps just about anything except the worst mobile CPU. And in fact that's the only option right now so you might as well. Hopefully we'll have a pool within a month but the only ones who have an implementation currently is those MinerGate insiders.
my question may sound stupid, but how do you know when you have found a block ?
I got right after my message a blue message in the bitmonerod.exe screen but when I check the balance It is still 0

Type refresh in simplewallet.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

It's solo mineable with that and perhaps just about anything except the worst mobile CPU. And in fact that's the only option right now so you might as well. Hopefully we'll have a pool within a month but the only ones who have an implementation currently is those MinerGate insiders.
my question may sound stupid, but how do you know when you have found a block ?
I got right after my message a blue message in the bitmonerod.exe screen but when I check the balance It is still 0

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
I just contacted http://cpucoinlist.com/ and sent this message:
Bytecoin (80% mined already, was confidential) and Bitmonero (launched yesterday, essentially a fairer bytecoin)
Both are CPU-only, thanks to the cryptonight algorithm
"CryptoNote brings the equality with an egalitarian proof-of-work pricing function, which is perfectly suitable for ordinary PCs. It utilizes built-in CPU instructions, which are very hard and too expensive to implement in special purpose devices or fast memory-on-chip devices with low latency."

I will add bitmonero and the cryptonote info to the site.

I'm not going to add bytecoin unless it is added to a major exchange. Any coin needs to be on a major exchange within 60 days. That is one of the guidelines used to keep dead coins off the list.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I just contacted http://cpucoinlist.com/ and sent this message:
Bytecoin (80% mined already, was confidential) and Bitmonero (launched yesterday, essentially a fairer bytecoin)
Both are CPU-only, thanks to the cryptonight algorithm
"CryptoNote brings the equality with an egalitarian proof-of-work pricing function, which is perfectly suitable for ordinary PCs. It utilizes built-in CPU instructions, which are very hard and too expensive to implement in special purpose devices or fast memory-on-chip devices with low latency."
Pages:
Jump to: