Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][BMR] Bitmonero - a new coin based on CryptoNote technology - LAUNCHED - page 19. (Read 68776 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I just wrote a tutorial. Here it is for your perusal. I hope it will help.

Linux tutorial
(but should be very close for other platforms)

Summary:
Two terminals, once for the daemon and one for the wallet and mining
• terminal 1:
Code:
./bitmonerod
• terminal 2:
Code:
./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(first time)
Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(next times)

Get the precompiled binaries
Windows
Mac
Linux
you can also compile from source (I was not able to do so on Manjaro Linux, but the Ubuntu precompiled work flawlessly)

Open two terminals
For each terminal be sure to go to the folder where you have you binaries (on a graphical interface, the fastest way it to drag-and-drop a file from the file manager then remove the name of the file to have only the folder)

On terminal 1, type this command
Code:
./bitmonerod
Let it sync, it will be MUCH faster than bytecoin, since it is one day old (bytecoin is two years old)
That's all. Don't close (once the daemon is active, you can use show_hr to get your hashrate or  set_log 1/2/3 to change the verbosity of the logs). If you close the daemon whilst you are mining, mining will stop (obviously) and if you open the daemon again the mining won't resume (you must use the start_mining command on the wallet for that)

On terminal 2, type this command:
Code:
./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(I am not sure .bin is necessary)
You will be prompted for a password. Be careful, you won't have to type a confirmation so beware of typos!
Close the wallet with the "exit" command.

Now type this command:
Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file=name_of_my_wallet.bin
and enter your password. If you forgot your password or mistyped it at creation time, delete every file starting with name_of_my_wallet.bin and start over. Every bitmonero would be lost forever, that's why it is important that you do it just after the creation, before any mining.

Mining
And now the good stuff: mining!
Since the wallet is also the miner, enter this:
Code:
start_mining x
where x is your number of threads (use nproc on linux to know it - should work on Mac too; on Windows, either get a utility for this or use this formula: number of CPU (usually 1) time number of cores time 2 (if no support for Hyperthread, remove the *2)
Or course, you don't have to use all your threads (especially if you are using your computer for something else)
Unfortunately, on my machine/OS, I cannot mine on more than one thread at a time. I don't know if it is my machine or my OS.(deleted the blockchain and resynchronized, works now)

By the way: if you want to know your hashrate, type show_hr in bitmonerod. And if you want to change the amount of  information in the daemon, use  set_log 1 (least info) to  set_log 3 (max info)

How can you know that you are actually mining? Check you CPU usage :-) If it less than 80% chances are you are not mining.

I hope this tutorial will prove useful

Edit: I've been suggested to add my address, so here it is:
Code:
46ctfLBhgyzJm61oTtDfu9GbVhG7ito4fNiQjdZcB5bL3mz5ejQrPD29uEkDHFzCVTHGFqAdG456w6ivYp7K23SiGREUiQe

(by the way, this coin is welcome breath of fresh air after the agressiveness and, dare I say, stupidity of the Blackcoin thread)

Thanks to tacotime for the Ubuntu binaries (I could not compile on Arch) and Vilchaco for the show_hr trick.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

Is there anyone with the skill to implement a GUI?

We need a pool server first, obviously I can do the guiminer when we have that using simpleminer as the miner.

It would be great an associate pool with minergate for merged mining ^^
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
There are certainly people with the skill, and most of the GUI code can be ripped pretty easily from bitcoin-qt. The question is how to motivate someone to actually do it.

I will work on a GUI when I get home from work. I would much rather have a refork if thats even possible. We have alot fo discuss.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

We need a pool server first, obviously I can do the guiminer when we have that using simpleminer as the miner.
Monero Core Team
Isn't difficulty little higher? I still have no block with 15 H/s machine. :/
How can I know my hashrate?
What? 0.9 hr! I can't believe it is so low! I have an i5-3337U (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2441). I can't other CPU are 15 times more powerful. Is there something wrong here?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining).

My recollection from reviewing the code changes is that the emissions should be about 1/4 the speed of bytecoin.

Not much advantage to early mining is relative though. Perhaps you have heard about Satoshi's 1m+ bitcoins?

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

There are certainly people with the skill, and most of the GUI code can be ripped pretty easily from bitcoin-qt. The question is how to motivate someone to actually do it.

Activity: 560
I'm also baffled as to why the developer was in such a hurry to get this coin out the door. I suppose he was trying to capitalize on BCN's trending popularity, but unfortunately the big picture was lost.  I thought the reason for this fork was that BCN had already been 80% mined, and that we could start fresh and make the coin more accessible to everyone from the beginning, while making improvements to BCN that its devs may not have forseen 2 years ago.  If that wasn't the reason for this fork, then my post should be disregarded.

No one should disregard this comment. We can attempt to bring validity to all of this or start from scratch and bring forward a better directive with a message that stand true to the reason behind it all. This rush was uneeded and the only ones who will really care about this coin are the ones who wish to get quick on being the first to mine. If anyone wishes to produce a fork that has more focus and community orient I will be more than happy to support with donations to the cause, whether it be money or web support.

Activity: 994
I'm also baffled as to why the developer was in such a hurry to get this coin out the door. I suppose he was trying to capitalize on BCN's trending popularity, but unfortunately the big picture was lost.  I thought the reason for this fork was that BCN had already been 80% mined, and that we could start fresh and make the coin more accessible to everyone from the beginning, while making improvements to BCN that its devs may not have forseen 2 years ago.  If that wasn't the reason for this fork, then my post should be disregarded.

No one should disregard this comment. We can attempt to bring validity to all of this or start from scratch and bring forward a better directive with a message that stand true to the reason behind it all. This rush was uneeded and the only ones who will really care about this coin are the ones who wish to get quick on being the first to mine. If anyone wishes to produce a fork that has more focus and community orient I will be more than happy to support with donations to the cause, whether it be money or web support.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
There may be no pre-mine, but not a single step was taken to make this coin any more accessible than BCN. An easy GUI miner is super critical for early adoption, as is a cross-platform wallet that can be used out of the box. So now the only miners are the same few people willing to fuss around in the command line.

Next week I will start my own fork of Bytecoin - another coin based on CryptoNote technology. It will be started from scratch (from block zero). I will write an anouncement today ot [ANN] subforum. Emission schedule will be more flat and block target will be reduced to 60 sec.
If we're going to create a bcn derivative, I think we need to have a serious community discussion about possible changes and improvements in the next iteration.

The only community discussion this coin saw (regarding the reduced block time) the developer ignored outright. It was made pretty clear that moving to 60 second blocks was not the best approach and had zero long-term benefit.

... It's a valid point that shorter block times will increase a solo miner's chances of finding a block, but even with a cpu-only coin it's only a matter of time before pooling becomes a necessity. At that point the shorter block time yields no benefit to the miners, but you're still left with the additional orphan blocks and wasted work.

Activity: 173
Merit: 100
Thank you both the_darkness and tacotime, it eventually indeed synchronized.

I have started mining but I cant find where is my hash rate displayed, I used "start_mining x" on the daemon, where x is the number of threads I have available.

Also, what is the simpleminer.exe? The bytecoin bundle didnt have such a file, and also there is no documentation about it.

edit: someone else asked about the hashrate, got it.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250

Type show_hr on daemon Smiley
Monero Core Team
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Can someone please look at the image and tell me if you know how to properly synchronize the blockchain?
I'm obviously not an expert, but from the messages it is outputting I would say its not working properly.
I just launched the daemon, nothing else.

Your blockchain is still catching up to the current one. Note the ascending number beside "top block". Just leave it running for a while and it will finish up.
legendary
Can someone please look at the image and tell me if you know how to properly synchronize the blockchain?
I'm obviously not an expert, but from the messages it is outputting I would say its not working properly.

type this command into daemon
Code:
set_log 1

this will let you see every time a new block is added to the chain
type help for other commands
Activity: 173
Merit: 100

legendary

With 15 H/s block every hour or two should come in
legendary
I cannot compile for Arch/Manjaro Sad Bytecoin precompiled works perfectly and I changed nothing on my computer since yesterday

Try these binaries
http://www.filedropper.com/bitmonerouxcompiledtar
Monero Core Team
I cannot compile for Arch/Manjaro Sad Bytecoin precompiled works perfectly and I changed nothing on my computer since yesterday

Edit: thanks to stickh3ad who sent me the precompiled ubuntu version over IRC - they work with Manjaro.
Activity: 532
You have eyes but can see Mt. Tai?!
Pages:
Jump to: