Author

Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000 - page 159. (Read 2170648 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
A couple of things on my mind today.
Plots don't last and it is really difficult to keep replacing corrupted ones let alone find it. Jminer at least that one did tell you however Blagos is what I use right now and needs to tell you. Corrupted plots might be because it is a usb drive with the internal drives.

What pool is charging for a how-to guide? Goto https://cynin.burst-team.us:446/home/public/how-tos

Yes at least Crowetics and others is free thankyou.

Yep.

H.

Yes awesome thankyou.... It was an external  5TB Seagate USB hard drive on a usb 2.0 port going up against a WD 2TB  and 1TB Seagate internal drive
( just saw post 1-5 above hard drive tests)

Seagate have a horrible reputation, I'fve had three die under normal operation - not mining on them - mining may have accelerated your drive's death, but it was terminal to begin with ... ;-)

H.

Drawing conclusions based - or perhaps exemplified? - by your own experience of HDDs, seems like a statistical nightmare, dear H, even if one happens to be right.

Here's same data:
Three-year, 27,000 drive study reveals the most reliable hard drive makers

Hard Drive Failure Rate Hitachi Vs Western Digital Vs Seagate Comparison

You also have the HDD dedicated http://www.storagereview.com

Activity: 539
Plots don't last and it is really difficult to keep replacing corrupted ones let alone find it. Jminer at least that one did tell you however Blagos is what I use right now and needs to tell you. Corrupted plots might be because it is a usb drive with the internal drives.

What pool is charging for a how-to guide? Goto https://cynin.burst-team.us:446/home/public/how-tos

Yep.

H.

Yes awesome thankyou.... It was an external  5TB Seagate USB hard drive on a usb 2.0 port going up against a WD 2TB  and 1TB Seagate internal drive

Seagate have a horrible reputation, I'fve had three die under normal operation - not mining on them - mining may have accelerated your drive's death, but it was terminal to begin with ... ;-)

H.
Activity: 724
Merit: 504

Yep.

H.

Activity: 539

Plots shouldn't be getting corrupted - they're read only, but I could see a USB Thumbdrive getting stressed.

I see now that somethings are fixed the latest issue with new miners are the plots.
I wish there was a universal plot that can be copied around. Easier way to Add in the account information since sometimes we need to change addresses. What file format is this plot, can I open it up and edit the contents?

No, the contents of plot files are created based on your burst address and the nonce number, they're totally unique to your address.

Instead of changing the award system how about the pools change the language about finding blocks and halving our awards etc. I'm tired of reaching 2000+ and getting it halved all the time. Can some one explain why it can't be a flat fee  only?

I'm not sure I understand? What pool are you mining on? You might want to try burst.ninja, totally transparent and very fair payout system, and a flat low percentage of earnings as fee.

We need more interest in this coin so it might start with the pools allowing more of the funds to go to the miner. increase or tack on more fees like a tax to go toward crowd funding, assets etc.

What happened to the multipool?

What happened to the plot fixing program?

Why does a pool I tried need to charge me for a how to guide. I thought these guides are created to help the miners to mine? They were good you know.

Yep.

H.
Activity: 724
Merit: 504
Plots don't last and it is really difficult to keep replacing corrupted ones let alone find it. Jminer at least that one did tell you however Blagos is what I use right now and needs to tell you. Corrupted plots might be because it is a usb drive with the internal drives. ( I will go back to Jminer as it was working before and need to see why. )

I see now that somethings are fixed the latest issue with new miners are the plots.
I wish there was a universal plot that can be copied around. Easier way to Add in the account information since sometimes we need to change addresses. What file format is this plot, can I open it up and edit the contents?

Instead of changing the award system how about the pools change the language about finding blocks and halving our awards etc. I'm tired of reaching 2000+ and getting it halved all the time. Can some one explain why it can't be a flat fee  only?
We need more interest in this coin so it might start with the pools allowing more of the funds to go to the miner. increase or tack on more fees like a tax to go toward crowd funding, assets etc.

What happened to the multipool?

What happened to the plot fixing program?

Can we get a vote to see which miner everyone uses?

Why does a pool I tried need to charge me for a how to guide. I thought these guides are created to help the miners to mine? They were good you know.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
quotation clip clip from prior post by some scared and frustrated dude, o no.. I lost 3 satoshi,

I invested 200k BURST a month ago. Today I sold all of it! (bought at 0.00000032 sold at 0.00000029).

you sold it way too quick, common mistake, if 3 satoshi of the difference make a difference to you, Today I believe it is double,, my advice is mine it and stash it, it could be that they are forces out there trying to hold a crypto down via psyops etc dont get caught empty handed

BURST could be a billion dollar cap in the future, because it consumes almost no electricity and that is huge

potential upgrades could be in some kind of interest bearing technology like POS, and maybe like VPNCoin does with local VPN transfer (find it both funny and dangerous but very innovative) but different here, reselling encrypted distributed storage but for that one needs serious development but all feasible

this is me q327K091, your own hero member , I do go stealth sometimes
Activity: 286
Merit: 250

Jeez... I agree that Burst is a winner but only technology-wise. It's innovative as no other coin. Great.

But we have had a little price crash...? You're lying if you saying the "crash" is from 100 to 30sat. There is a very steady downward-trend since the pump to +200sat back in February. In that perspective, a majority of miners have stayed extremely loyal. I'm convinced they are loyal due to the basic technological breakthroughs that Burst has, coupled with the low cost of mining, hoping something magical will happen. Like the coin will be magical discovered by the masses after 15 months since launch.

That won't happened, coz Burst is just as big of a failure when it comes the utility, current and coming development, and PR, as it is a winner when it comes to innovation and technology.

Greed..., yup, perhaps, but greed is good. Read Douglas' monologue from the movie and you understand what I mean. Greed drives people like pure technology does not.

That said, I do think that a clone with a different emission rate will be more successful, but I'm quite pessimistic to whether only changing the emission rate is enough as incentive to make a star out of PoC/AT/ACCT/etc. A clone would have a way better chance to be successful if it's backed by some serious investors from the get-go, enabling to pay for developers and PR, or developmental collaboration with a coin as Sia.

But perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps a different emission rate will suffice. I'd say "let's see". And let's see what will happen to Burst with competition out there.

I agree with you all the way, except i think we should leave the burst inflation as it was designed.

also agree the "crash" can be seen different depending on when you set the top. what i meant was probably something along the lines of "recent crash".

Activity: 286
One of my Wallets showed today:

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "qtp1800503195-1502"
2015-09-24 08:56:10 INFO: CRITICAL ERROR. PLEASE REPORT TO THE DEVELOPERS.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Has anybody a fix for that?

Start the wallet with more memory allocated.  Or make sure the computer on which it runs, have enough memory to pass on to java.

this is my runner batchfile :

https://github.com/DennisFantoni/burstcoin/blob/master/run_repeat.bat

( although i have set the version to 60 in production )

the line

set MAXRAM=700m

determines how much RAM is allocated to the wallet. bump it up if it's not enough, but if you already have a high number, it is likely bc the operating system is starving for RAM and giving java problems.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org

Good to know people are working on it. If I can do some testing, please let me know. I have an 7970 OC and 16GB DDR3 at hand and a whole lot of USB3 stuff and drives.
Its best to invest all into the GUI Wallet, this keeps it All-in-One and easy to understand.

[EDIT] I need to take back some words! Version 0.1.9.1 has launched without my knowledge and it does use 8GB instead of 1GB in version 0.1.9! Bravo!

100 BURST send to BURST-LNVN-5M4L-S9KP-H5AAC!

Its not doing the 9200 nonce I had before, could that has to do because this is a 2.5" drive and the 9200 was a 3.5"?

Nice to know that the fix works! Next release will use even more RAM (maybe 70% of available RAM). You mean 9200 nonces/minutes? It depends also on transfer/write speeds of your drive.
2,5" drives are slower but ASYNC mode would help with so much available RAM, which isn't implemented yet.  I put it on the to do list.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/burstwindowswallet/

daWallet, I would be willing to make you an account on my home rig (i7 3960X Extreme Edition 6 (12) core, 32GB DDR3, 280x GPU, roughly 35TB HDD space that is mostly plotted, but I could let you replot a few drives if you want) so that you'd have an adequate higher end machine to play around with.

Also, Don't worry people, we're cleaning things up, but yea we could use some help. We have only a couple people that are still dedicated to working on the coin, and I've been busy the past week so I haven't had a chance to do what I want to yet. That is one of the main issues, is we just don't have enough help. If it were something I could work full time on, you better believe everything would be perfect, but I have my company and my day job with the software developer I work for as well, so I sometimes can't dedicate near the time I would like to.

If anyone would like to help (mustang, I'd like to see your video examples, etc) please contact me, or haitch, daWallet, xizmax, anyone on the team!

Or, just come join us in our public/private shared chat hosted on our private servers! http://chat.burst-team.us:3000

Thanks!

Plans now -

1. New OP with easy to see links to all good and working tools with largest links to the easiest ones

2. New graphics for this OP

3. Get more people using the chat and involved with the community and team directly
Activity: 302

Good to know people are working on it. If I can do some testing, please let me know. I have an 7970 OC and 16GB DDR3 at hand and a whole lot of USB3 stuff and drives.
Its best to invest all into the GUI Wallet, this keeps it All-in-One and easy to understand.

[EDIT] I need to take back some words! Version 0.1.9.1 has launched without my knowledge and it does use 8GB instead of 1GB in version 0.1.9! Bravo!

Its not doing the 9200 nonce I had before, could that has to do because this is a 2.5" drive and the 9200 was a 3.5"?

Nice to know that the fix works! Next release will use even more RAM (maybe 70% of available RAM). You mean 9200 nonces/minutes? It depends also on transfer/write speeds of your drive.
2,5" drives are slower but ASYNC mode would help with so much available RAM, which isn't implemented yet.  I put it on the to do list.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/burstwindowswallet/
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004
@mustang9 : I do not find the plotting as hard as you describe it. I found a guide from crowetic that explain this process really well. But you're right, the nonces calculating process is not the easiest thing in the world, but it's for em the only problem I've found so far.
Activity: 785
BURST got Smart Contracts (AT)
http://burst.mininghere.com/faucet.php

I fixed a small bug, it showed wrong transaction!

Hmm, nice job, but not everybody has a twitter account, myself included.

Maybe you should put Adsense, or other adverts on the site like other faucets do, and the claim should be for free.

I will not do Adsense, ...
However, I will add other social media soon. I hope that one of them is your used social network ;-)
Merit: 512

Hmm, nice job, but not everybody has a twitter account, myself included.

Maybe you should put Adsense, or other adverts on the site like other faucets do, and the claim should be for free.

Merit: 512

Pinballdude PM me your BURST address, I will send you a bit of INCOME as a bounty for your hard work, from the bounty address. With the condition to please don't sell it in the near future.

You have worked very hard and you help the mining network too so you deserve it.

We still got 17,000 INCOME in the bounty address  BURST-C9QM-PF9P-MHQF-FQFYT , that will be given out to hard working people who help BURST thrive as a bounty/ reward for their service.

This is to encourage other people to participate in our project too! People need incentives Smiley
Activity: 12

[...] My bets are on the Windows GUI wallet, but we need more power from the build-in plotter. Now its plotting 2TB with my Intel Core i7-3820 (s2011), most of the big crowd have less power. The Windows GUI wallet plots with just 1GB RAM out of my 16GB available? Ok it does 9200 nonce, not bad, but it takes a whopping 48 hours to get one drive finished at 8 cores! Do you know how many noise a PC makes for 48hours when its plotting with all 8 cores? And yes, I have water-cooling! Some of the disks I tested plotted on the Windows GUI wallet Plotter won’t ever complete. They will be fully written 100% so the plotter can’t write the entire plot to the drive since its full?!?. It would be nice if the plotter had calculated the Plot upfront instead of me finding out after 48h draining 850watts of power it can’t complete its plot? We also need more power, we need the ability to use all of our RAM available if we want to, we have GPU`s, why can’t we use it in the Windows GUI Wallet?

One week ago I uploaded a fix for the RAM issue. Luxe told me that problem, but he couldn't give me feedback till now and I don't have so much RAM to test it.
Thanks for the information, that you couldn't complete your plots. Thats one number to fix in the code, but someone has to tell me. Btw, there's no problem with incomplete plots, there are missing some nounces but you can mine them anyway without loss.

That all won't change the time the CPU plotter needs... And that's actually a feature of Burst. (High initial costs - low running costs)

I don't have good GPU(s) and I have never plotted with it. The win client is for the masses to get Burst going easily. Maybe I will implement GPU plotting and mining someday or someone else will, but if you want to use your GPUs in parallel or whatever to be one time faster then the ordinary user you have to put some effort in it and understand the available tools and write one or two lines in a terminal or editing one .bat file.  

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL473/10806159/24675080/411678358.jpg

Activity: 302

[...] My bets are on the Windows GUI wallet, but we need more power from the build-in plotter. Now its plotting 2TB with my Intel Core i7-3820 (s2011), most of the big crowd have less power. The Windows GUI wallet plots with just 1GB RAM out of my 16GB available? Ok it does 9200 nonce, not bad, but it takes a whopping 48 hours to get one drive finished at 8 cores! Do you know how many noise a PC makes for 48hours when its plotting with all 8 cores? And yes, I have water-cooling! Some of the disks I tested plotted on the Windows GUI wallet Plotter won’t ever complete. They will be fully written 100% so the plotter can’t write the entire plot to the drive since its full?!?. It would be nice if the plotter had calculated the Plot upfront instead of me finding out after 48h draining 850watts of power it can’t complete its plot? We also need more power, we need the ability to use all of our RAM available if we want to, we have GPU`s, why can’t we use it in the Windows GUI Wallet?

One week ago I uploaded a fix for the RAM issue. Luxe told me that problem, but he couldn't give me feedback till now and I don't have so much RAM to test it.
Thanks for the information, that you couldn't complete your plots. Thats one number to fix in the code, but someone has to tell me. Btw, there's no problem with incomplete plots, there are missing some nounces but you can mine them anyway without loss.

That all won't change the time the CPU plotter needs... And that's actually a feature of Burst. (High initial costs - low running costs)

I don't have good GPU(s) and I have never plotted with it. The win client is for the masses to get Burst going easily. Maybe I will implement GPU plotting and mining someday or someone else will, but if you want to use your GPUs in parallel or whatever to be one time faster then the ordinary user you have to put some effort in it and understand the available tools and write one or two lines in a terminal or editing one .bat file.  

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
I get:
java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | grep HeapSize
Code:
    uintx ErgoHeapSizeLimit                         = 0                                   {product}
    uintx HeapSizePerGCThread                       = 87241520                            {product}
    uintx InitialHeapSize                          := 526385152                           {product}
    uintx LargePageHeapSizeThreshold                = 134217728                           {product}
    uintx MaxHeapSize                              := 8422162432                          {product}

Would refer -Xmx4G  to MaxHeapSize?
Would I need -Xmx16G Huh  or something between 8 and 16?

Elmit, what are you doing with your wallet - running out of heap at ~8GB ?!?!
I never had more than 3 GB IIRC, and that was with
  >20 connected java-miners, (long time ago)
  nxt.myAddress defined (incoming connections) and  
  nxt.maxNumberOfConnectedPublicPeers=50 (reduced now)

Code:
$ java -X

-Xms        set initial Java heap size
    -Xmx        set maximum Java heap size
    -Xss        set java thread stack size
 …

You may freely define your stacksize (-Xmx256G), but when the code actually allocates that and it is more than your system can deliver (virt.mem enabled?) this will still break.
What OS + Java Version ?
Activity: 12
You guys needs to fix your Mining Difficulty, i told the dev that he would get exactly this problem and this was a year ago.
If you check your mined coins you already mined 50% of your 2 Billion coins.

Also you need way more advertisement to get more people interest in this project and i mean not who is interested to invest money but to mine coins.
You only have two choices this time, either fix your mining difficulty or change your mining protocol to PoS.

what's wrong with the difficulty. If miners abandon burst the difficutly gets easier and the remaining miners earn more.  if miners flock to burst, the difficulty gets harder and the miners earn less. I see no problem there.

if burst gets worth more, miners get paid more in real terms, and that will attract miners and make the blockchain more secure, if burst gets worth less, miners get paid less in real terms, and that will make some miners go away.. but then... if the market cap is 1mln usd, we only need to make sure it's  a lot more expensive than 1mln usd to attack the coin.

when all the coins are mined, miners will live off fees. We may or may not have to make some changes to the size of fees when we get to that point, it will depend on the value of 1 BURST.  we can just look at the hash size for the chain at that time, and if the hash size is way too small, we could consider a discussion about increasing the minimum fee to more than one, or perhaps make it possible for miners to not add transactions that have the fee under some level. (not sure if we can do that now)

I think you still don't got it aren't you ? Burstcoin was mined out to 50% already in just one year ! This means your mining difficulty is just to low. In this case you would have mined all your coins in just a total 3 years.

I believe you have things mixed up my friend. How about you go and take a look at a term called 'controlled supply'.
Coin emission has nothing to do with mining difficulty. BURST being 'mined out' in 60 months (IIRC) is by design.

Well, looks like his "design" ain't working.

It is working exactly as designed. You believe that this particular design is not correct/proper/achieving good results and that is perfectly fine Smiley

I believe you have things mixed up my friend. How about you go and take a look at a term called 'controlled supply'.
Coin emission has nothing to do with mining difficulty. BURST being 'mined out' in 60 months (IIRC) is by design.

And might be a good reason to release a clone with a different design to possibly attract more miners long-term...

Perhaps, I do not think that there is enough data in crypto to be able to tell what a good emission rate is, or in fact, whether such a deflationary model works at all Smiley.

Sure, but you will get more data by releasing clones with different emission rates Wink And competition is seldom wrong imho.

We must realize that Burst does have problems with a decreasing network size, making it more vulnerable to 51% attacks and not attracting investors. Experimenting with clones might be a solution. It doesn't mean we don't believe in the basic technology presented in BUST, quite the contrary in fact, I'd say.

we have had a price "crash" from over 100 to below 30.  Network size is supposed to start to adjust down towards 30% when the price adjust down to 30%, it's by design. You want the expenses to match the revenue.

I think you are just greedy and want money taken from users, and given to miners.

Jeez... I agree that Burst is a winner but only technology-wise. It's innovative as no other coin. Great.

But we have had a little price crash...? You're lying if you saying the "crash" is from 100 to 30sat. There is a very steady downward-trend since the pump to +200sat back in February. In that perspective, a majority of miners have stayed extremely loyal. I'm convinced they are loyal due to the basic technological breakthroughs that Burst has, coupled with the low cost of mining, hoping something magical will happen. Like the coin will be magical discovered by the masses after 15 months since launch.

That won't happened, coz Burst is just as big of a failure when it comes the utility, current and coming development, and PR, as it is a winner when it comes to innovation and technology.

Greed..., yup, perhaps, but greed is good. Read Douglas' monologue from the movie and you understand what I mean. Greed drives people like pure technology does not.

That said, I do think that a clone with a different emission rate will be more successful, but I'm quite pessimistic to whether only changing the emission rate is enough as incentive to make a star out of PoC/AT/ACCT/etc. A clone would have a way better chance to be successful if it's backed by some serious investors from the get-go, enabling to pay for developers and PR, or developmental collaboration with a coin as Sia.

But perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps a different emission rate will suffice. I'd say "let's see". And let's see what will happen to Burst with competition out there.

I invested 200k BURST a month ago. Today I sold all of it! (bought at 0.00000032 sold at 0.00000029).
The biggest problem with BURST is Plotting, second is lack of good Guides and software. I think that if there isn’t going to be a breakthrough soon, BURST is lost, this is why:
I do love mining BUSRT itself allot, like the most of us. I like tying up old hardware and re-use it to get involved with the future. This is why Bitcoin ever got into the publicity, without us geeks nothing would have happened and the Block chain technology would not been what it is today. We can’t strengthen this BUSRT community if it there won’t be more interest from the big crowd. We need a more simple proses for everybody to start with BURST, just like Bitcoin and Script had in the past. The Windows GUI wallet works, but most mining guides you find are out of date. The BURST forum has certificate errors so it looks dead and abandoned and most guides available have download links that don’t work anymore or just take you through the very basics without explaining stuff (I know, we are geeks not marketing guru`s). All utilities that have been built by the community to calculate plots, nonces etc. are nice, but we need a simple all-in-one version that does it all. A step by step walkthrough that gets you going, not just explaining wat a Stagger is, but take you through it and gives you a slider at the end rather than editing a .txt and build a code, covert it back to .bat to start plotting. My bets are on the Windows GUI wallet, but we need more power from the build-in plotter. Now its plotting 2TB with my Intel Core i7-3820 (s2011), most of the big crowd have less power. The Windows GUI wallet plots with just 1GB RAM out of my 16GB available? Ok it does 9200 nonce, not bad, but it takes a whopping 48 hours to get one drive finished at 8 cores! Do you know how many noise a PC makes for 48hours when its plotting with all 8 cores? And yes, I have water-cooling! Some of the disks I tested plotted on the Windows GUI wallet Plotter won’t ever complete. They will be fully written 100% so the plotter can’t write the entire plot to the drive since its full?!?. It would be nice if the plotter had calculated the Plot upfront instead of me finding out after 48h draining 850watts of power it can’t complete its plot? We also need more power, we need the ability to use all of our RAM available if we want to, we have GPU`s, why can’t we use it in the Windows GUI Wallet? We also need hardware guides to build dedicated plotters and we need YouTube films that take us through things like “Assets” (which are big scams anyway!), the marketplace, Aliases, messages, Tokens, Transactions etc. None of that is at hand at the moment except if you spend 5 days hoping from one dead forum to another dead forum (this one is alive but a big mess, a moderator would be nice!). Questions like Flash drives, USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 are unanswered or scattered around abandoned forums. Why is all of this a mystery, are the people that are currently mining scared to share their knowledge to the big crowd? Afraid the difficulty would rise? If yes, this Crypto is lost, because without public interest, the value will never increase! Soon the world will found out Bitcoin mining is dead if they haven’t already. BURST would be the next best thing, time is ticking!
I`m willing to make BURST YouTube films and take people through all of it. I spend at least 50 hours on BURST and still don’t have all the required answers I need to build a guide or add any value for people than beyond what’s already on YouTube. I`m very dedicated to get stuff working, but I don’t know many people that have real computer skills that would be able to get this figured out. What I`m trying to say; if I can’t get it working and figured out myself, most of the people won’t. Without public interest, BURST will be a small community with people like you guys mining this crypto, and that way it won’t grow in value like Bitcoin did.
So creators of BURST, please get the big public`s interest, and I believe BURST has a second change. Without improvement, this wonderful technology (PoC) will soon be copy pasted by another Crypto and BURST will be lost. Next week the Antminer S7 orders will be delivered, Bitcoin will very soon loose allot of miners. The will go online to find out if there is money to be made. Be there with BURST while we can!
Sorry for my frustrations, trust me when I say “I do believe in BURST” but there is work to be done!

I get:
java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | grep HeapSize
Code:
    uintx ErgoHeapSizeLimit                         = 0                                   {product}
    uintx HeapSizePerGCThread                       = 87241520                            {product}
    uintx InitialHeapSize                          := 526385152                           {product}
    uintx LargePageHeapSizeThreshold                = 134217728                           {product}
    uintx MaxHeapSize                              := 8422162432                          {product}

Would refer -Xmx4G  to MaxHeapSize?
Would I need -Xmx16G Huh  or something between 8 and 16?
Jump to: