Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 744. (Read 1191996 times)

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

Why the zcash choice.

A similar question was posted before and this was jl777 answer:

Did the dev team ever consider using Zcoin over Zcash?
you must be kidding.

why would we choose an obsolete 3 year old libzerocoin implementation that has significant bloat issues?

it would be like choosing an Intel 8080 CPU over Xeon

so no, never considered zcoin

I was thinking more of how parameter generation happens in both, I just read this comparison,

http://blog.zcoin.tech/zcoin-and-zcash/
You mean "Zcoin uses parameters generated 25 years ago from the RSA Factoring Challenge." those "secure" parameters??

If you would rather trust parameters generated by a single entity that has been caught putting backdoors into encryption, then that is your choice. Keep in mind that if anybody in the 25 years has gotten a hold of the RSA factoring parameters, it is compromised. What assurance is there that it hasnt been compromised?

As opposed to zcash which will use a carefully thought out parallel oblivious transfer method with a peer reviewed research paper where all participants need to be compromised.

We might as well compare zcash to ring signatures.

There is a lot of FUD against zcash parameters, but nobody has described to me how all the zcash parameter creation participants will be fooled into running the mystery laptop gift that just arrived in the mail. Or that they can all be bought. Or all their systems can be compromised.

It is not that any one of them can be compromised to compromise the parameters. ALL participants need to be compromised.

Good points, I'm still trying to get my mind around things. Which organisation created the Zcoin parameters 25 years ago? That is the key 'trust' point in Zcoin
RSA
you are putting your trust in RSA
the same one as in this article: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/report-nsa-paid-rsa-to-make-flawed-crypto-algorithm-the-default/

Ok thats great, always straight to the point answers - i appreciate it..
Activity: 515
Merit: 502

Why the zcash choice.

A similar question was posted before and this was jl777 answer:

Did the dev team ever consider using Zcoin over Zcash?
you must be kidding.

why would we choose an obsolete 3 year old libzerocoin implementation that has significant bloat issues?

it would be like choosing an Intel 8080 CPU over Xeon

so no, never considered zcoin

I was thinking more of how parameter generation happens in both, I just read this comparison,

You mean "Zcoin uses parameters generated 25 years ago from the RSA Factoring Challenge." those "secure" parameters??

If you would rather trust parameters generated by a single entity that has been caught putting backdoors into encryption, then that is your choice. Keep in mind that if anybody in the 25 years has gotten a hold of the RSA factoring parameters, it is compromised. What assurance is there that it hasnt been compromised?

As opposed to zcash which will use a carefully thought out parallel oblivious transfer method with a peer reviewed research paper where all participants need to be compromised.

We might as well compare zcash to ring signatures.

There is a lot of FUD against zcash parameters, but nobody has described to me how all the zcash parameter creation participants will be fooled into running the mystery laptop gift that just arrived in the mail. Or that they can all be bought. Or all their systems can be compromised.

It is not that any one of them can be compromised to compromise the parameters. ALL participants need to be compromised.

Good points, I'm still trying to get my mind around things. Which organisation created the Zcoin parameters 25 years ago? That is the key 'trust' point in Zcoin
RSA
you are putting your trust in RSA
the same one as in this article: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/report-nsa-paid-rsa-to-make-flawed-crypto-algorithm-the-default/

JL777 how do you feel about Komodo and SuperNET if SAFE successfully launches?

Having a server-less internet seems ideal, do you have views on this and how SuperNet will combine or be independent from this?
I am sorry if this has been asked before..

Why the zcash choice.

Zcoin is the same but allows the overall coin balance of the platform to be known so that if a major error happens it can be caught.

https://soundcloud.com/cryptoholics/ep02-interview-with-riccardo-spagni-of-monero-and-gary-le-of-zcoin
Activity: 383
Merit: 252

This is an pretty impressive ammount you have there  Wink
Allow me the question, how will you ensure you can definitely get one node actively running? I understand there are 16 spots in each region. Everybody has one vote for each of the 4 regions. So for one region there could be the scenario, that you will be outvoted, especially with combined voting power of others. This assumtion is also valid for the other regions. Just curious how you can ensure this offer with 100% confidence...
Cheers!

Yes, I was not aware of this aspect of the election process (each KMD votes in each region). I had anticipated a node quota being 1/64 of 100M KMD, with this scheme a node quota will be 1/16 of KMD, which is 6.25% of the vote. Even with ~2.7% of the vote I am clearly well under half a quota now. I am considering whether to run now at all as I don't believe I would get elected now. My 'plan B' option of hiring a node operator myself to run a 'guaranteed' node looks to be dead in the water. Maybe 2-3 other individuals could combine votes with me into 6.25% of the total vote and then we run 4  guaranteed nodes, but that is more difficult. As I said above, I prefer a set-and-forget arrangement that gives me a nice income stream. Less is more for me if the arrangement is simple and easy to manage!

Others have mentioned the likelihood of 'voting pools' starting eventually, similar to mining pools in PoW coins, and forging pools in NXT. I will wait and see what happens there. I am not too keen on the idea of just selling my vote to the highest bidder, but 2.69% of the vote does have some value. I do want to see viable and stable node operators emerge, but where there are elections and money involved, there will always be coalitions, horse-trading, & deals made to get people elected. I will wait and see what happens. I will say I have no complaint on the election scheme. I was not aware of this detail, but it makes sense why it was chosen.

I don't think selling votes makes much sense until KMD price is A LOT higher, most nodes will make a small loss or small profit for a couple of years, even with the subsidy, so node runners wont have cash to buy votes. When KMD price is high it'll be a different story ... that's when things might get Funky with vote trading.

How many KMD can a node mine in a month anyway?

Approximately  2700 a month if there are 48 notary nodes,  that number doesn't factor in non-notarynode miners, so it will probably be lower than that.
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

This is an pretty impressive ammount you have there  Wink
Allow me the question, how will you ensure you can definitely get one node actively running? I understand there are 16 spots in each region. Everybody has one vote for each of the 4 regions. So for one region there could be the scenario, that you will be outvoted, especially with combined voting power of others. This assumtion is also valid for the other regions. Just curious how you can ensure this offer with 100% confidence...
Cheers!

Yes, I was not aware of this aspect of the election process (each KMD votes in each region). I had anticipated a node quota being 1/64 of 100M KMD, with this scheme a node quota will be 1/16 of KMD, which is 6.25% of the vote. Even with ~2.7% of the vote I am clearly well under half a quota now. I am considering whether to run now at all as I don't believe I would get elected now. My 'plan B' option of hiring a node operator myself to run a 'guaranteed' node looks to be dead in the water. Maybe 2-3 other individuals could combine votes with me into 6.25% of the total vote and then we run 4  guaranteed nodes, but that is more difficult. As I said above, I prefer a set-and-forget arrangement that gives me a nice income stream. Less is more for me if the arrangement is simple and easy to manage!

Others have mentioned the likelihood of 'voting pools' starting eventually, similar to mining pools in PoW coins, and forging pools in NXT. I will wait and see what happens there. I am not too keen on the idea of just selling my vote to the highest bidder, but 2.69% of the vote does have some value. I do want to see viable and stable node operators emerge, but where there are elections and money involved, there will always be coalitions, horse-trading, & deals made to get people elected. I will wait and see what happens. I will say I have no complaint on the election scheme. I was not aware of this detail, but it makes sense why it was chosen.

I don't think selling votes makes much sense until KMD price is A LOT higher, most nodes will make a small loss or small profit for a couple of years, even with the subsidy, so node runners wont have cash to buy votes. When KMD price is high it'll be a different story ... that's when things might get Funky with vote trading.

How many KMD can a node mine in a month anyway?
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
after BTCD swap , did number of  kmd coin for btc investors will drop.

No each BTC investor gets 1 KMD for each 0.00012907 BTC he invested. The number of KMD coin for BTC investors was announced by KomodoPlatform after the end of the ICO.

Each BTCD holder swaps one BTCD for 50.448 KMD, but that doesn't change the number of KMD the BTC investors get.

Calculation were made, and the official (more precise) exchange rates are:
1 KMD = 0.00012907 BTC
1 BTCD = 50.448 KMD

Total Market Cap: 12,900 BTC

I think you all mean 0.012907.

.00012907 would mean you get  770950 KMD for each xbt you have invested.

1 XBT = 100 satoshi  

129 XBT = 1 KMD

Not to be a picky, but Kraken uses XBT as a representation of BTC. Not that Kraken should decide terminology, but just pointing out that XBT isn't used universally the way you specified.

I use quadrigacx and its xbt also.
Just making sure the numbers are what they are as I invested the equivalent of 4.39 BTC and my projected total is north of 33000 KMD as per the Komodo ICO page
Activity: 1148
Merit: 512
I wonder when the election process is available for voting and how to vote for this ?
and the KMD windows wallet will be available before KMD distribution?
Activity: 116
Merit: 10

No each BTC investor gets 1 KMD for each 0.00012907 BTC he invested. The number of KMD coin for BTC investors was announced by KomodoPlatform after the end of the ICO.

Each BTCD holder swaps one BTCD for 50.448 KMD, but that doesn't change the number of KMD the BTC investors get.

1 KMD = 0.00012907 BTC
1 BTCD = 50.448 KMD

.00012907 would mean you get  770950 KMD for each xbt you have invested.

1 XBT = 100 satoshi  

129 XBT = 1 KMD

Not to be a picky, but Kraken uses XBT as a representation of BTC. Not that Kraken should decide terminology, but just pointing out that XBT isn't used universally the way you specified.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001
www.neutroncoin.com

1 KMD = 0.00012907 BTC
1 BTCD = 50.448 KMD

.00012907 would mean you get  770950 KMD for each xbt you have invested.

1 XBT = 100 satoshi 

129 XBT = 1 KMD

Activity: 34

1 KMD = 0.00012907 BTC
1 BTCD = 50.448 KMD

.00012907 would mean you get  770950 KMD for each xbt you have invested.
Activity: 122
Merit: 10
Many of which hold an event for ICO and I saw Komodo is much better getting 2636.37 BTC at this time, just waiting to see what the latest here
I think it's more than what you write Smiley
Activity: 5

1 KMD = 0.00012907 BTC
1 BTCD = 50.448 KMD

Activity: 537
Merit: 259
after BTCD swap , did number of  kmd coin for btc investors will drop.
Activity: 688
Merit: 500
After the crash of ZEC... I don't think this coin will do something... and with all those new scam clones of ZEC (ZCL, ZDASH,...) it won't help either.

I hope people can ask for a refunds Wink

Are you talking about one of those coins you mentioned or Komodo? Sorry but, most of us disagree with you and we have put our BTC on the line to prove it. And, ZEC didn't crash, it is simple reaching its true value. KMD tech is miles ahead of ZEC already.

lol,kmd is waiting for the zec anon tech...
how about copy this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-zcoin-xzc-implementing-zkp-privacy-without-trusted-setup-1638450
Activity: 420
AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84
After the crash of ZEC... I don't think this coin will do something... and with all those new scam clones of ZEC (ZCL, ZDASH,...) it won't help either.

Are you talking about one of those coins you mentioned or Komodo? Sorry but, most of us disagree with you and we have put our BTC on the line to prove it. And, ZEC didn't crash, it is simple reaching its true value. KMD tech is miles ahead of ZEC already.
Activity: 388
Merit: 100
Many of which hold an event for ICO and I saw Komodo is much better getting 2636.37 BTC at this time, just waiting to see what the latest here
Activity: 784
Merit: 253
Set Your Ideas Free
Important info for notary node candidates!

According to the latest estimation we will have the following number of notary node candidates:

EU: 21
NA: 18
Asia: 8
SH: 21

However on komodoelection.com website there are only 29 candidates.

please make sure you are on komodoelection.com as well as on komodometrics.com
-> if you are not, then you are not a candidate
-> if you decided not to run, please let us know
-> also make sure you can be reached within a reasonable time

Deadline November 27th, 3PM UTC
Activity: 784
Merit: 253
Set Your Ideas Free
Any ETA on when I can exchange BTCD for KMD?  I saw that BTCD can be exchanged 2 weeks after the 20th.  Will the BTCD exchange happen on the same site as the BTC ICO?

Yes, it can be done through the ICO site. We are working on that feature, and no date for its completion yet. However everything should be ready within 2 weeks.
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126

key word you mention is "clones". KMD is a fork and much much more development work has gone into it.
Jump to: