Author

Topic: [ANN][MAX] MAXcoin - PoW, ASIC Resistance, Keccak GPU Mining - page 512. (Read 914218 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Are you going to release an external miner? Otherwise I don't see how pools will be available at launch. Seeing as this is supposedly a different implementation of SHA-3, everyone will be forced to just mine through the wallet solo initially.

I think the official website mentioned pool will be available at launch.

This is from devs twitter

Luke Crypto ‏@LukeCrypto  12h
@craig_williams1 Hey. We're currently in conversation with two pools. They're porting the software as we speak.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Are you going to release an external miner? Otherwise I don't see how pools will be available at launch. Seeing as this is supposedly a different implementation of SHA-3, everyone will be forced to just mine through the wallet solo initially.

I think the official website mentioned pool will be available at launch.
All this talk of botnets have got me thinking though.  As a software engineer with 27 years behind me and vast experience of writing network software I am wondering how good botnets actually are when it comes to cpu mining solo.  In a pool I can see how botnets would gain a vast amount of hashing power but solo mining is a completely different thing.

First off think about the cpu's that the bonnet will have control off.  The chances are the majority of the cpu's will be low end.  Laptops,  People who are not computer literate enough to protect their machines.  The chances of a botnet having control of a high end gaming rig are low.  Even if they did the chances are that gaming rig will only be on when the person is gaming so the performance for mining will be low because the cpu is in use gaming.

Now think about a botnet of 100 cup's.  Lets go by my previous assumption that those cpu's are low power. Think about how the network will work.  Effectively the botnet is like a pool.  Each of those controlled cpu's mining.  Now think about my i7 running at 4.3ghz.  The chances are my i7 is going to find more blocks than a 100 1 ghz cup's.  The reason is each of those 100 cpu's are all going to be trying to do a calculation and my i7 is faster so it will find it quicker.

Think about 100m race.  if you put Usain Bolt again 100,000 one legged dwarfs then there is still going to be only one winner.

Now I might be completely wrong as I have not red up on how the actually mining and network for crypto coins work but I am sure as hell that it does not share the work equally between all cpu's in a botnet to find the solution quicker.
The Botnet operators deploy their own modified version of CPUminer, they do not deploy wallets, the CPUminer just connects to a pool of their choosing, they are not solomining on their bots.

Correct me if I am wrong since I am not a bot operator. By the time a hacker modify and inject the new codes to the infected computers, that will be a few hours away. Difficulties would already increase.
Like this comment from Max on twitter

Max Keiser ‏@maxkeiser Jan 30
My Irish friend who owns over $100,000,000 in BTC and alts says he's LOVES @maxcoinproject and can't wait to GO BIG!!!

...and the pumps of all pumps begins

So his Irish friend owns 0.5% of all the Bitcoin ?
Anyone else see this in maxcoin twitter

MaxCoin ‏@maxcoinproject  12h
Are there any cgminer guru's willing to lend a hand? We're trying to get a GPU miner built for Wednesday's launch
A Basic example for you.  Think of a rng generator.  It has to pick a number from 0-99 and needs to pic the number 0.  Think of that as the way a block is generated ( OK I KNOW ITS NOT BEFORE PEOPLE SLAM IT…its an example.  )

Now think about 2 cpu's running a loop

int result = 100;
while( result > 0 )
    result = random(100);

That loop will continue until result = 0;  Not going to calculate exact clock cycles of that loop or how fast either cpu could execute it but lets say hypothetically that the 4.3 ghz cpu could loop it 4.3 times faster than the 1ghz cpu.  It means it has 4.3 times the chance of hitting 0 before the 1ghz.  Ok randomness gives both cpu's a chance but the 4.3 ghz has more of a chance.

So this is basically my lottery example and you are agreeing with me.  Huh

Now consider 2 1ghz cpu;s running that loop.  They are both running it at same speed but the odd's of them hitting it before the 4.3 is only slightly more.  They are still running at 1ghz though.  They are not running twice as fast because there are 2 of them they are both running at the slower speed.

What?

Some time ago I had to write a test harness to test some data and speeds.  I suggest you do the same.  create a little app.  Create 6 threads.  Run 1 thread 4.3 times the speed of the other 5.  Write a number generator that uses at least 1000 clock cycles ( a sha-3 algorithm will probably use more than that ).  Run it for an hour and log how many times each threads come to the correct result.

We could discuss this for hours but until you actually see the figures there is no point discussing it any more.

If you do it then come back and show me your results Smiley

It is a lottery in a way and Chaos predicts anything could happen  but when it comes down to practise the numbers speak for themselves.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
How does one begin mining this coin? I'm not so familiar with cpu mining as a whole either. Are there any pools up that I should join or anything and what softwares I should download etc.?

nothing released yet it's release time is 7:30pm GMT tomorrow
Yep I know when it launches but last time when I started to mine a coin right at the launch I had been able to set mining software ready beforehand and there were already dozens of pools up before the actual launch.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 521
How does one begin mining this coin? I'm not so familiar with cpu mining as a whole either. Are there any pools up that I should join or anything and what softwares I should download etc.?

nothing released yet it's release time is 7:30pm GMT tomorrow
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Seriously keep out GPU mining, huge GPU farms are ready to mine this coin, it's not fair at all.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
A Basic example for you.  Think of a rng generator.  It has to pick a number from 0-99 and needs to pic the number 0.  Think of that as the way a block is generated ( OK I KNOW ITS NOT BEFORE PEOPLE SLAM IT…its an example.  )

int result = 100;
while( result > 0 )
    result = random(100);

That loop will continue until result = 0;  Not going to calculate exact clock cycles of that loop or how fast either cpu could execute it but lets say hypothetically that the 4.3 ghz cpu could loop it 4.3 times faster than the 1ghz cpu.  It means it has 4.3 times the chance of hitting 0 before the 1ghz.  Ok randomness gives both cpu's a chance but the 4.3 ghz has more of a chance.

So this is basically my lottery example and you are agreeing with me.  Huh

Now consider 2 1ghz cpu;s running that loop.  They are both running it at same speed but the odd's of them hitting it before the 4.3 is only slightly more.  They are still running at 1ghz though.  They are not running twice as fast because there are 2 of them they are both running at the slower speed.

What?
Activity: 4
Activity: 154
When a cpu is hashing, all it's doing is calculate the block with a random nonce to find the right nonce that will produce a accepted hash.
So why would 5 1ghz cpu trying all different nonce at the same time be slower than 1 4.3ghz cpu?
Think about 100m race.  if you put Usain Bolt against 100,000 one legged dwarfs then there is still going to be only one winner.

No. Think of it as a lottery. Miners will try to guess the correct number. You can buy 5 tickets with your 5GHz cpu, and 1 ticket with a 1 GHz cpu. 5 tickets will win far less than 100 tickets.

Same thing as I said but different analogy.

Not at all same thing.

In fact its not as simple as that.  Each new block starts a new sequence of calculations.  Its not just a case of picking a random number and hoping.  Its running an algorithm trying to find a result.  The i7 has a much better chance because it can handle far more clock cycles than something like a 1ghz cpu so i7 will always have a far better chance.
Really?

5GHz cpu has the same chance as 5x1GHz cpus.
In the end, it is all about the hashrate, more hash is more coin

this only applies in a pool not solo.  Solo the 4.3 ghz cpu would probably get about 80% of the blocks.
Think about 100m race.  if you put Usain Bolt against 100,000 one legged dwarfs then there is still going to be only one winner.

No. Think of it as a lottery. Miners will try to guess the correct number. You can buy 5 tickets with your 5GHz cpu, and 1 ticket with a 1 GHz cpu. 5 tickets will win far less than 100 tickets.

Not at all same thing.

In fact its not as simple as that.  Each new block starts a new sequence of calculations.  Its not just a case of picking a random number and hoping.  Its running an algorithm trying to find a result.  The i7 has a much better chance because it can handle far more clock cycles than something like a 1ghz cpu so i7 will always have a far better chance.
Really?

As stated before this only applies when in a pool not solo

ok its like this.

6 cpu's  1 4.3ghz and 5 1ghz.

All 6 cpu's start a new algorithm.  The first one to find the solution gets it ok.  the 4.3 ghz has more chance of finding the answer because its faster.  The 5 1ghz are all running the same algorithm.  They are not working together to give 5x1ghz they are all running at 1ghz.

You have to consider the 5 x 1ghz as 5 separate machines.  The only way the 5 could run together to give 5ghz is for them to all be running on the same bus, same motherboard but even then the latency would mean they would still only run at about 4ghz.

int result = 100;
while( result > 0 )
    result = random(100);

Activity: 112

Not at all same thing.

In fact its not as simple as that.  Each new block starts a new sequence of calculations.  Its not just a case of picking a random number and hoping.  Its running an algorithm trying to find a result.  The i7 has a much better chance because it can handle far more clock cycles than something like a 1ghz cpu so i7 will always have a far better chance.
Really?

In the end, it is all about the hashrate, more hash is more coin
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

Not at all same thing.

Really?

Activity: 58
Watching this coin Max  Smiley
Activity: 151
I just want to voice my support for this coin. That is all.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Anyone want to sell some ?

I have maxcoin on pre-order   Cheesy
Activity: 10
Waiting for the coin to get launched!! Hope I mine shitloads of them Cheesy
Jump to: