Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][MOTO] Motocoin - page 59. (Read 178225 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
June 24, 2014, 02:21:15 AM
Who's with me?

WilliamLie and I brought some short but poignant arguments to the Hyper thread.  The developers have realized why it is not appropriate to call their coin proof-of-play and, in everyone's best interest, have chosen to retract the verbiage.

This is a win for MOTO and HUC both as the only two coins that can claim this distinction.  (afaik?  Does anyone know of any other current/upcoming coin that is known for sure to use a proof-of-play distribution?)
Looks like they haven't changed it here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-get-free-crypto-for-playing-counter-strike-hyper-cs-server-654249
It still says Proof of Play in the title.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
June 23, 2014, 06:26:52 PM
Who's with me?

WilliamLie and I brought some short but poignant arguments to the Hyper thread.  The developers have realized why it is not appropriate to call their coin proof-of-play and, in everyone's best interest, have chosen to retract the verbiage.

This is a win for MOTO and HUC both as the only two coins that can claim this distinction.  (afaik?  Does anyone know of any other current/upcoming coin that is known for sure to use a proof-of-play distribution?)
June 23, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.
Your pull request became available. If I don't miss anything it only changes median to be mean of two adjacents blocks and adds one to the new target time. What was downright incorrect with my implementation? I was aware of the fact that it is not exactly the true median but this is very minor issue because medians found in either way are very close to each other, I just wanted to make code simpler. Simpler fix would be to make nInterval odd.

From simulation, average variance of resulting TT over time was up to double with the original implementation.  This also could have made the coin susceptible to something similar to the "rollercoaster" attack, and allowed miners to game targettime some by injecting a block with a "chosen" TT at the end of a retarget round in order to bias the new TT selection either up or down.  With a properly calculated median, the calculation cannot be meaningfully biased in such a way, in any case.  Yes, we could make all rounds an odd numbered length as a solution as well, this would be (more or less) equivalent.

The 1 frame increment is unrelated to my previous statements about the TT calculation, and just fixes the potential for chain stall that I found while doing verification on the patch, and would still need to be included with either approach.

The interesting patch, which fixes the difficulty warp attack vector itself, is still forthcoming.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
June 23, 2014, 01:23:22 PM
Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.
Your pull request became available. If I don't miss anything it only changes median to be mean of two adjacents blocks and adds one to the new target time. What was downright incorrect with my implementation? I was aware of the fact that it is not exactly the true median but this is very minor issue because medians found in either way are very close to each other, I just wanted to make code simpler. Simpler fix would be to make nInterval odd.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010
June 23, 2014, 09:10:14 AM
That 40K wall soon be gone, MOTO is way too cheap for such unique concept, it will be hard to collect that much coins for such price. Take it or leave it.
June 23, 2014, 09:10:01 AM
HyperCoin is claiming to be "proof of play" when it appears to me that it does nothing of the sort.   Angry

I posted in their thread asking if I am maybe missing something, and I think as the community with the only real proof-of-play mining system we should work to educate and inform people as to what is/isn't legitimate "proof of play" mining in other coins!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7467822

Who's with me?
June 23, 2014, 08:55:39 AM
It looks like everyone has forgotten about the other exchange. I went and bought at 0.000018 and sold at 0.00005!
But it wasn't much. Only 280 coins

Do you think 0.00007 is the top for now?  I'm not sure this train is stopping and above that 40k wall the market looks thin.  I'm still holding and I suspect the other botters still are as well.  Liquidity crunch incoming?

Looks like it pretty much was, unless the rally resumes at some point today.  Quite a spread on the books now, after someone unloaded only a few thousands of coin into a thin buy side book.  Right now we basically have 1k of buys at 0.000015 to 1k of sells at 0.0000627.  The book is still thin in both directions, and it looks like we may possibly be heading into a liquidity shortage even without breaking into the 40k wall first.  Hard to say.

It looks like github has decided that I am human after all, and my pullreq should now be visible to the world again.  I look forward to any feedback, comments, and criticisms.  Hopefully I'll have the "real" patch ready early this week.
legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 10:30:11 PM
It looks like everyone has forgotten about the other exchange. I went and bought at 0.000018 and sold at 0.00005!

Do you think 0.00007 is the top for now?  I'm not sure this train is stopping and above that 40k wall the market looks thin.  I'm still holding and I suspect the other botters still are as well.  Liquidity crunch incoming?
Well, it's less than 0.00004.
I hope it goes back to 0.00001 so I can buy back in.
June 22, 2014, 09:15:19 PM

legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 07:57:53 PM
June 22, 2014, 07:16:12 PM
Well, helloooooo 0.00005, long time no see!

Seems like I am always away from a PC when moto goes on the move!  I'm glad to see the price has recovered.  I figured it was going to happen soon as I watched the sell walls get nibbled at all weekend.

Still blocked as a bot on the githubs.  If they don't respond to the support ticket soon I'll just pastebin the patches.
Activity: 126
June 22, 2014, 07:00:59 PM
Well, helloooooo 0.00005, long time no see!

Also, great post, HMC! Love game theory Wink
legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 06:32:20 PM
F**K MY F**KING WORTHLESS LIFE.
I sell at 0.00001 and then I decide to buy back in at 0.000018

How much BTC you wanted to spend on 0.000018, so you sooo crying?
We need moore buyers to fly to 0.0005

Do you think the price will rise that high?
Vz
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
June 22, 2014, 05:56:18 PM
I sell at 0.00001 and then I decide to buy back in at 0.000018

How much BTC you wanted to spend on 0.000018, so you sooo crying?
We need moore buyers to fly to 0.0005
legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 04:59:00 PM
The price is going down now. I'm sure it will correct itself by the end of the day.
legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 04:47:46 PM
I sell at 0.00001 and then I decide to buy back in at 0.000018.
I transfer my BTC to C-CEX and forget to buy. I remembered just now and THE PRICE IS 0.00005
I'm actually crying right now.
June 22, 2014, 09:39:34 AM
HunterMinerCrafter, your pull request is not available, error 404.

Odd, I'm not sure why that would be.  I've closed that pullreq and opened a new one (#9) with an improved patch, but now github is telling me:

One of our mostly harmless robots seems to think you are not a human.
Because of that, it's hidden your profile from the public. If you really are human, please contact support to have your profile reinstated.
We promise we won't require DNA proof of your humanity.

Cute.  I've contacted support, but I'm not sure if you can see my new pull req in the mean time.  You might also be able to see the source patch itself at https://github.com/HunterMinerCrafter/motocoin/commit/e1775b573ee4ca0cd83710375a06da7ee6aed30a

This also fixes another (extremely) unlikely corner case problem that I found.  The final calculated frames had a rather obscure off-by-one bug.  In the (astronomically unlikely) case that an entire lookback period was filled with blocks with the absolute minimum framecount solutions, the targettime would be set to be one frame below that absolute minimum, and the chain would stall.  You can prove this to yourself pretty easily in a testnet by commenting the "bnNew += 1;" in the patch and moving the coin finish coordinates to something like (0, -700000000) and just let your biker fall straight onto the coin, with no inputs, for every block in the adjustment interval. (Which I have patched to be 10 blocks on testnet, for now.)  You'll find that your chain quickly stalls in a state where the best you can hope to do within TargetTime is free-fall to one frame away from the coin.  With the patch adding one to the target time frame count at the end, you will find that you will always hit the coin with 0.004 seconds to spare.  (It is unlikely that this would ever become relevant under normal circumstances, but I figure it is a trivial and low risk change so we might as well go ahead and account for it.)

I am still not entirely happy with this improved retarget, and still agree with DeepCryptoAnalyst that we ultimately need to change the formula to something "more traditional" as we've discussed, but for the immediate term I want to get back to finalizing the second patch to introduce proper difficulty scaling.

Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine.

I don't see any good reason for a relaunch.  A hard fork is enough negative press for a coin, I don't know of a relaunched coin that has really thrived after.

I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine

The premine is sort of "what is done is done" for me, water under bridges.  Most-or-all (!?!?) of those coins were obviously sold into the market panic crash and redistributed at what I consider a very discounted price, in any case.  I don't think it would be wise to screw over a broad set of stakeholders because a few people are complaining privately.  If people are really concerned about premined holdings let's all discuss it publicly, in context, and the network participants can decide for themselves what to do when the fork time comes!  Grin

and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there).

Aside from myself, I am communicating with two other bot operators.  There is certainly at least a fourth operator who has not disclosed themselves.  I suspect that there are at least 5 or 6 total.  While there are also still the occasional hand-mined blocks, it is uncommon.

However, everyone has certainly had the opportunity by now to bring their own bots online if they wanted to.  Even the most amateurish developers could have had a useful bot together by now, considering that there is very little competition on the "AI involved" itself, so far.  Anyone without the skillset could have hired even the cheapest developers to build a bot for them by now, there has been plenty of time.  Block chains reward participation by design.... if you're unhappy with the distribution of rewards just participate more.  Participate smarter, not harder.  Participate early and participate often.  Ask not what your participation can do for you, but what you can do for your participation.  A participation saved is a.... ok, I'll stop now.

Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined.

So, what you're saying is basically that early speculative hashers who were willing to make a larger initial investment in time, effort, money, electricity, their wives' sanity, and other such resources will, in the end, see a larger return?  Problem?  Those of us who leveraged more will have profited more, this is an unavoidable consequence of any market and is not at all unique to the crypto space, let alone motocoin.

From what I understand of them, this is precisely how crypto-currencies are expected to function, and will tend toward failure otherwise.  I think this is a pretty well understood property of cryptovaluation, by now.

The three of us bot operators who are in contact seem to undeniably comprise the majority hashing strength, and we also all seem to agree on the direction to be taken, which is not a relaunch.  Since block-chains operate on the premise that the majority of hashing strength decides outcomes, this would imply that a relaunch is not what is going to happen.  Anyone is welcome to spin up a new fork of moto code with a new genesis block, but this would be a new, derived alt and not a relaunch.  The MOTO chain proper will persist, unless a real reason for it not to is brought forth.

With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.

I'm all for a new and better coin, particularly if it has a game that I would personally be more interested in actually playing (dungeon crawler!) and I'd love to get involved (in any capacity, really!) in such coins in the future (let's talk!).... but I really fail to see any argument for killing MOTO.  This coin is a good coin, and there is no reason to write it off due to struggles that any coin has, coupled with some unique growing pains that arose out of the fact that this is the first real 3.0 crypto.  If anything I see the fact that the coin hasn't totally failed on it's own, despite these problems, as a very very very good sign and take it as reason to not explicitly kill the coin.  (If it still manages to fall over on it's own, that is a different story, but I think that if this were going to happen it would have by now!)

The crux of the matter is that on any network like this we will not only have but will *need* bots.  The root problem, it seems, is that we are forced into a trade-off between either having an insecure network or accepting/embracing (and being forced to "balance against") bot activity.  I have now had two players independently tell me that they are skilled enough at MOTO that before the bots they could basically 51% attack "by hand" during certain times of the day simply because of their high level of skill and low competition during those times.  It is somewhat to be expected that a pure skill based coin would be vulnerable since some "savant" player, well coordinated team, etc, could come along and dominate tx selection putting the chain at risk.  If these rare, brilliantly gifted folk don't have some "automated competition" then if one of them also happens to be a bit unscrupulous or perhaps downright evil the whole network could come crashing down by their hand.

As I've repeated many times now, both here in the thread and in PMs, the humans and bots must coexist and there is simply no other option that works, pragmatically.  If the bots win out entirely, everyone basically loses.  If the humans win out entirely, everyone basically loses.

Don't you just love game theory?
June 22, 2014, 08:39:53 AM
Also, would you consider releasing a program that searches for the fall through maps that bots find?
I heard you talking about doing that a few pages back and it seems like a really good idea. PM me if you need testing Wink although I'm sure you won't. Smiley

Yes, I may release such human assistance tools, but not until after the known attack vector on the network is closed.
legendary
Crypto since 2014
June 22, 2014, 04:11:30 AM
Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine. I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there). Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined. With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.
Yes that is a good idea. The new coin should be named Playcoin as suggested by someone else several pages back.
Activity: 204
June 21, 2014, 06:58:33 PM
Anyway, I think that Motocoin should be relaunched, probably under different name and without premine. I got a lot of complains (mostly in PM) about premine and now it is mined only by a small number of botowners (1, 2 or how many of them are there). Even if current issues with bots will be fixed people will still be able to mine only a very small portion of what botowners mined. With new coin there will be no need for hurry to make fix as soon as possible, instead it can be thoroughly designed and tested before launch. You can lead this new project.
Pages:
Jump to: