Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][MOTO] Motocoin - page 60. (Read 178225 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
June 21, 2014, 06:43:19 PM

GitHub has a 404 error. Sad
Edit: actually I'm just an idiot. Took off the /pull/8 and it worked. (No surprise there)

Also, would you consider releasing a program that searches for the fall through maps that bots find?
I heard you talking about doing that a few pages back and it seems like a really good idea. PM me if you need testing Wink although I'm sure you won't. Smiley
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
June 21, 2014, 10:54:45 AM
not yet finished all (much) of the verification I'd like to do on it

and of course the very next thing I check I find a big, dumb, obvious deficiency in my patch  Cheesy

I'll fix it up a little further and update the pull req, but you should see the basic idea from the patch as is.  We want to take the average of the center two elements of the sorted list to get the median, not just look at the one block.  (EDIT: to clarify, the retarget as is was introducing excess variance to target time.)

(The change to the control flow is basically because this was re-factored back out of the (EDIT: still in-progress) patch that includes the difficulty time warp fix.)
June 21, 2014, 10:32:29 AM
Yes, I'm not working on anything now but I will look at your patches when they are ready. And what's wrong with my implementation of tt calculation?

See https://github.com/motocoin-dev/motocoin/pull/8 for a draft of the patch for calculation.  Although I've run it on testnet for some days I have not yet finished all (much) of the verification I'd like to do on it, so I'd ask you not to plan to merge it just yet. (EDIT: Of course the patch only applies on testnet right now anyway, there is not a fork point set by it.)

This does not fix the difficulty time warp we've been discussing, of course.

I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
It is for bots.

I think all of the bot miners are also looking forward to being able to mine by hand, as well.  My second patch will scale the rounds of hashing required to generate maps to fix the difficulty time warp attack vector.  As a side effect it will become ever-increasingly difficult for bots to work from a premise of "throw gazillions of bikes down gazillions of maps" and they will, instead, have to transition into better "learners" of various types.

After these patches are both in place, I think that multiple bots will likely be open sourced.  
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
June 21, 2014, 09:49:43 AM
So far the official developers still haven't said much, except for "no eta" basically.  We have every indication that they do not yet have any patch code.

I am working on a series of patches to propose.  The first two are to fix various problems with difficulty targets.  One closes the difficulty time warp attack by establishing a difficulty target for hashing rounds during map generation.  The other fixes the TargetTime calculation itself, to better match what is described in the whitepaper.  (Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.)  We will likely still want to change/replace the target time calculation at some point.
Yes, I'm not working on anything now but I will look at your patches when they are ready. And what's wrong with my implementation of tt calculation?

I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
It is for bots.
p
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 21, 2014, 06:15:03 AM
I play video games really nice!  I am proffesional gamer. That is a coin for me.
Activity: 126
June 21, 2014, 06:06:08 AM
Would it be possible to perhaps have a choice among several games to play to mine? Playing any one of them could win you the block and difficulty would be adjusted on each one of them individually, to ensure that overall/relative difficulty is roughly equal and mining takes equal amount of time on all games. And if players/botters are sticking to one game too much, that one would also be made more difficult (or others made easier) to ensure all games get played.

Now, all we need is to come up with a bunch of fun skill-based games where rounds/maps can be completed in minutes or less and where humans could at least for an extended period of time reasonably compete against AI miners, with every reasonable effort taken to prolong such a period. And past that - it should still be a fun process to come up with AI solutions and watch your bots at work.

A reasonable feature could be an in-built scripting engine into the games and perhaps even a very, very simple and inefficient bot written in it as an example, to encourage others to come up with smarter, more efficient bot logic on their own.

Come on, someone make this happen Smiley
June 20, 2014, 07:12:57 PM
I hope the patch comes out soon.

So far the official developers still haven't said much, except for "no eta" basically.  We have every indication that they do not yet have any patch code.

I am working on a series of patches to propose.  The first two are to fix various problems with difficulty targets.  One closes the difficulty time warp attack by establishing a difficulty target for hashing rounds during map generation.  The other fixes the TargetTime calculation itself, to better match what is described in the whitepaper.  (Right now it is downright incorrect.  Basically it is not actually using a median of the lookback period.)  We will likely still want to change/replace the target time calculation at some point.

Also, will the block time start back at 60 seconds?

My patch would calculate the correct TargetTime at the hard fork, and go from there.  I am not sure offhand what TT that would be on the real chain.

This is going to be interesting with differently sized maps.

I will not be making a patch to change the map size.  For a lot of reasons I decided against implementing it.  If someone else proposes a good patch for it I will adopt it as a miner.

Any ETA for the new version?

The problems to be solved first are very difficult.  Although I feel that I have a good notion for the couple of solutions that I intend to offer up, I'm not confident that I've done enough testing of them yet.

Another question:
Is it possible to fork this coin with the game still working? Or does the game break?
Because someone should fork the new version and call it play coin.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  You could fork the coin into a new coin on a new chain, with the same game as the work function.  It is not hard to do "testnet in a box" with most anycoin.

Actually i'm going to try to do it when the new version comes out. It'll be fun. (unless the game won't work)

It would be interesting to replace the work function with a new game, in my opinion.  We need better coins 3.0 not just lots of competing replica like 2.0 were.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
June 20, 2014, 05:29:02 PM
I hope the patch comes out soon. Also, will the block time start back at 60 seconds? This is going to be interesting with differently sized maps.
Any ETA for the new version?

Another question:
Is it possible to fork this coin with the game still working? Or does the game break?
Because someone should fork the new version and call it play coin.
Actually i'm going to try to do it when the new version comes out. It'll be fun. (unless the game won't work)
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
June 20, 2014, 11:29:56 AM
Wow this has sparked my interest.. which is odd for an Alt besides the bit ones...
Gonna download her and give it a whirl
I quite like the concept.
June 20, 2014, 11:24:16 AM
Market volume is nonexistent

But there is liquidity!  I think everyone is in "wait and see" mode.

(although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks)

Sort of.  A whole $2USD was traded at $0.02994/moto today!  Cheesy

Just got into the office bright and early to discover that MOTO is on the move.  I guess we spoke too soon!  A new high price since the crash was set, volume is #3 on ccex for today, and it looks like the rest of the resistance wall is being nibbled at.

This is shaping up to look like it is probably what I'd call "smart, early money accumulating!"
June 19, 2014, 09:34:16 PM
Market volume is nonexistent

But there is liquidity!  I think everyone is in "wait and see" mode.

(although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks)

Sort of.  A whole $2USD was traded at $0.02994/moto today!  Cheesy

and discussion seems to have died off. Not a nice sight.

Yah, pretty quiet right now...

Are any patches being worked on at the moment?

Yes.  I might even turn one or two into pull requests.

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
June 19, 2014, 07:34:40 PM
Pretty interesting Cheesy
Activity: 126
June 19, 2014, 07:31:29 PM
Market volume is nonexistent (although price seems to be pretty stable around 1000 Satoshis for the past 2 weeks) and discussion seems to have died off. Not a nice sight.

Are any patches being worked on at the moment?
June 18, 2014, 09:58:33 AM
TT seems to be converging on this 16 second point, maybe?
June 16, 2014, 02:01:38 PM
* Introduce forced computational complexity scale into map generation, likely by simply requiring many rounds of hashing.  Pros are ease of implementation and a side effect of hampering (current generation) bots.  Cons are the possibility that map generation could quickly become sufficiently difficult that human players without specialized hardware could be unlikely to be able to generate a map in reasonable time, and might never be able to begin playing a map.  (This could be mitigated some by my "N heads" proposal, though.)

How about we scale the both the map dimensions and rounds of hashing to generate seed?  This should make it pretty easy to get a nice 2^n curve, and as a nice bonus hits the bots with a bit of a "double whammy" on performance.  From some guesstimates, I think that the additional hashing rounds would not impact humans for a very very long time when many many hashing rounds would be required.  Scaling the map dimensions as well might cause the motoF function used map rendering to take a performance hit.  (I don't recall offhand if the rendering does this once off and caches the texture, or if it recalculates each frame.  In any case it should probably pre-cache unless we intend the terrain to be dynamic in the future.)
June 16, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
I think DeepCrypto would agree that any meaningful solution will/must involve calculating difficulty (or difficulties) by some measure of both target time and block acceptance frequency, somehow, and must scale both.

Calculation difficulty shall prevent map preselection cheat. I am not sure that any other difficulty measure would be needed if map will be big enough to force competitors to actually play the game.

And yes. Time warp bug shall be closed somehow anyway. Time warp attack is not very relevant to anti bot measures.

I meant as a solution to the time warp bug.  Basically, I think we can say that block acceptance frequency needs to be constrained/controlled directly by the network via the work function's complexity (not indirectly by how people(/bots) are assumed to play) and until it is it still potentially leaves the attack vector open.  With any solution that only constrains based on target time any new improvement in machine mining that better calculates bad (high TT) solutions could rewrite back to the last checkpoint with a longer, lower difficulty chain.  In other words, if we are only ever constrained by target time then anyone who could just find a way to run the naive bots much much faster could dominate production and/or "51% attack" by difficulty-time-warping the chain, and "should" just not bother with any AI.  This would be an undesirable outcome for everyone.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
June 16, 2014, 11:31:12 AM
I think that it's better to solve difficulty time warp problem in the most obvious and simple way, that is to change the way required work is computed. Currently it is computed as 1/t, that is 15 sec target time is considered to be 4x more difficult (takes 4x more time) to find solution than 60 sec and this is probably not the case. You (and other bot operators) can do some experiments to determine how required time to find solution depends on target time, then we can construct some function that is good approximation of this dependency and use it instead of 1/t.
Another counter-measure is to add checkpoint, it will prevent whole chain forking.

The map shall be enlarged anyway. The current state is ridiculous. Bots or humans they do not play the game but only falling through simple maps. That completely ruined the idea of a mining by play idea. Current state is not stimulating any AI research either.

I think DeepCrypto would agree that any meaningful solution will/must involve calculating difficulty (or difficulties) by some measure of both target time and block acceptance frequency, somehow, and must scale both.

Calculation difficulty shall prevent map preselection cheat. I am not sure that any other difficulty measure would be needed if map will be big enough to force competitors to actually play the game.

And yes. Time warp bug shall be closed somehow anyway. Time warp attack is not very relevant to anti bot measures.
June 16, 2014, 12:39:52 AM
I think that it's better to solve difficulty time warp problem in the most obvious and simple way, that is to change the way required work is computed. Currently it is computed as 1/t, that is 15 sec target time is considdered to be 4x more difficult (takes 4x more time) to find solution than 60 sec and this is probably not the case.

I think Domob already pointed to the fatal flaw in this sort of approach, and DeepCrypto already pointed to the solution.

The problem is that at any time someone could come in with something that massively makes an epic leapfrog in performance, and (at best) just put us back into "block latency race" mode.  I'm not talking cpu->gpu->fpga->asic type progression, but a total smashing of the big O computational complexity of a solver.

You (and other bot operators) can do some experiments to determine how required time to find solution depends on target time,

I might try to put together some numbers, but this might ultimately be harder than it sounds to do accurately, from what I've seen so far.  Lips sealed

then we can construct some function that is good approximation of this dependency and use it instead of 1/t.

I think we need to do this from the start.  This also relates to why the direct association between control of block frequency and target time is necessary to actually call the attack vector closed.

Another counter-measure is to add checkpoint, it will prevent whole chain forking.

Agreed!
Activity: 204
June 15, 2014, 07:27:58 PM
I think that it's better to solve difficulty time warp problem in the most obvious and simple way, that is to change the way required work is computed. Currently it is computed as 1/t, that is 15 sec target time is considdered to be 4x more difficult (takes 4x more time) to find solution than 60 sec and this is probably not the case. You (and other bot operators) can do some experiments to determine how required time to find solution depends on target time, then we can construct some function that is good approximation of this dependency and use it instead of 1/t.
June 15, 2014, 06:40:01 PM
I am definitely not going to fight bots. It seems that all of the proposed solutions can only prevent bots for some time, it may be necessary to perform hardforks every few days/weeks to adapt to new bots. The only thing that I want to fix is this vulnerability, "difficulty time warp" as HMC calls it.

Yes, the "fighting" the bots would be problematic.  Asymmetric warfare problem, basically.  The goal should always be balance for both bots and humans.  We must coexist.

In any case, the difficulty time warp should certainly be the focus.  You still have not really said if and how you plan to address that.

I don't see how a bot owner (HunterMinerCrafter) can continue development to make it more human-friendly and constrain bots. As a bot developer he can improve his bots beforehand before releasing anti-bot patches, this is definitely a conflict of interest which will negatively affect community trust in Motocoin.

There is not really any conflict of interest here.  It is in my best interest to have humans able to remain competitive in the long run, otherwise the coin offers no value over any other random alt coin.

Instead of fighting bots I think that current bots should be released into open source so that everyone can mine again.

Yes, as I've said the best thing for the network right now would be an increase of bot operators, to decentralize the security of the network.

P.S. It seems that someone turned off his bot (maybe it was miniminer), blocks are now mined much slower than before.

Possibly, but I'm not sure why they would at this juncture.
Pages:
Jump to: