Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 55. (Read 594487 times)

legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1005
Any block explorer with API for NMC?

Edit: Got it from other thread.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 8114
I'm having a problem with the .conf file. Is there a special way it needs to be created? the way I was doing it was with a text document named bitoin.conf and I'd put a user name and pass in it yet it still doesn't work. Namecoind closes automatically by itself still and if I run namecoind commands in CMD I get this error:

error: You must set rpcpassword= in the configuration file:
C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf

The file is in the correct place. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Most likely the file is having .txt appended to it by notepad.  How to check.

Open a command prompt
type
move C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf.txt C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf

Try to start bitcoind again

Hey this is the future calling (present... well past, now) and I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Your advice helped my digital toy go. I'm glad the basics haven't changed much.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
Secure anonymous voting with centralized identification entity: Entity hands out voting tokens (names) to verified IDs. Users do a couple rounds of coinjoin with the voting tokens whenever they feel like it. Vote through the token. Repeat for the next vote.
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
Well done domob, the vision becomes reality ... might be sending a tip to id/domob now it is so easy Wink
Thanks, I'm glad you (and others) like it! Smiley

Would there be any way of permitting access to fields? Ex: The ID and website address are accessible to anyone but other fields are only accessible by consent, someone has to have your permission via their own ID to view your email, phone number, etc. I was thinking something along the lines of levels of permission but entry by entry would probably be more versatile.

I can see some applications for this, but in principle, everything you have in the blockchain is public.  So the only way to achieve what you are asking about is to encrypt certain fields, and share the keys with selected people - or something along these lines.  One could probably work out the details, but so far, noone has stated interest in something like that.  Feel free to share any ideas you have, though. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Saw this in Bitcoin discussion seems interesting enough to post here since its a Trendmicro paper analyzing the namecoin project

Bitcoin Domains

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/cloud-content/us/pdfs/security-intelligence/white-papers/wp-bitcoin-domains.pdf

"This paper will attempt to explain what ADR TLDs are and describe the current scope of .bit domains, enumerate .bit domains’ weaknesses, and present a case study of a .bit Trojan and prospective malicious uses of .bit domains."

I'm curious about the botnet that is operating in the namecoin system and was wondering if you guys had any idea on that part of the paper and how it would be avoided.

The Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™, a cloud security infrastructure that rapidly and accurately identifies new threats and delivers global threat intelligence to secure data wherever it resides, detected a botnet that operates with .bit domains

I believe this is Circa 2013 based on Last access November 12, 2013 on the citations so if I missed the discussion feel free to correct or direct me to it.
legendary
Well done domob, the vision becomes reality ... might be sending a tip to id/domob now it is so easy Wink

What is the spec of this, does it parse full JSONs, etc?

As an example, here is one of the first id namespaces, my id/deepceleron with a signed message:
{"info": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "cert": {"address": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "id": "deepceleron", "info": "deepceleron CA", "authority": "deepceleron", "authbtc": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "authnmc": "N76D6hEHB55cGPk8QiG6ysgMbXb11b3nAH"}, "sig": "GweBRP+1YnKIMmXuwtsk4zlR7jUuPZxiazfNUbheGRMkomMs4lo/XpNpCDVLujrEynCGYe9dxs/M9nOp98EsXpI="}

As you can see, "info" is a Bitcoin address, and other stuff is inside a "cert", and that cert message is signed by the Bitcoin address.
Nah, it directly uses the address that actually holds the name.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

What is the spec of this, does it parse full JSONs, etc?

As an example, here is one of the first id namespaces, my id/deepceleron with a signed message:
{"info": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "cert": {"address": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "id": "deepceleron", "info": "deepceleron CA", "authority": "deepceleron", "authbtc": "1DCeLERonUTsTERdpUNqxKTVMmnwU6reu5", "authnmc": "N76D6hEHB55cGPk8QiG6ysgMbXb11b3nAH"}, "sig": "GweBRP+1YnKIMmXuwtsk4zlR7jUuPZxiazfNUbheGRMkomMs4lo/XpNpCDVLujrEynCGYe9dxs/M9nOp98EsXpI="}

As you can see, "info" is a Bitcoin address, and other stuff is inside a "cert", and that cert message is signed by the Bitcoin address.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Who are devs of Namecoin?

that's a moving target ... there are few of us, some come and go too. Some disappear forever Sad
Activity: 314
Merit: 100
Who are devs of Namecoin?
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Namecoin wallet nice
Congrats it has been a long time coming and will certainly help usability Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
Domob's latest trick:

Merged on git, will be included in the next release.

Note this just looks up the address holding the name so there is still room for privacy improvements, e.g. stealth addresses or something. But for public addresses like donation addresses it's pretty cool.

Oh shit noice!!!  Now we just need Bitcoin Core to integrate it too, then namecoin, bitcoin, and bitmessage can call be used without addresses, but with a single namecoin id.
legendary
Domob's latest trick:

Merged on git, will be included in the next release.

Note this just looks up the address holding the name so there is still room for privacy improvements, e.g. stealth addresses or something. But for public addresses like donation addresses it's pretty cool.
Activity: 229
We support you for as long as you need.
I have restarted the client it still is stuck on 56 weeks?  Wasn't trying to spam, I just include it as a signature, besides we do accept namecoin for products so it seemed appropriate.  But I understand and thank you for the help

https://pixskull.com
Handblown & Custom Engraved Glass

what is the last few lines in your debug.log?

how many connections do you have? (help/debug)

For some reason today it just went thru, after 4 days of trying....hmm strange?  Now if your mining with eligius and put in merge mining, i guess you only get paid on payout times correct?  Is there an area to see what namecoin amount you have?
legendary
Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020
I have restarted the client it still is stuck on 56 weeks?  Wasn't trying to spam, I just include it as a signature, besides we do accept namecoin for products so it seemed appropriate.  But I understand and thank you for the help

what is the last few lines in your debug.log?

how many connections do you have? (help/debug)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
My namecoin wallet is stuck at 56 weeks for syncing, this is the first namecoin wallet I've downloaded.  Any suggestions?

Have you restarted?

And don't spam in your posts
My namecoin wallet is stuck at 56 weeks for syncing, this is the first namecoin wallet I've downloaded.  Any suggestions?

Pages:
Jump to: