Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 52. (Read 594487 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
Will "Backup Wallet" in the Namecoin wallet back up the balance of all associated addresses?
Yes, balances and names.  Note that the usual disclaimer from Bitcoin applies - after doing 100 (or how large your keypool is) operations (including coin transactions and name registrations/updates), you need to back up again at the latest.

Is there anything else that might invalidate a backup?  I suppose creating a new receiving address and receiving coins there is one.

I do not think so - except for encrypting a previously unencrypted wallet.  In this case, you even invalidate all new addresses immediately.  (Since they keypool is flushed.)  But maybe I forgot something here, so please do not depend on that without further checking.

I'm not sure I understand.  Don't all wallets start out unencrypted?

Yes.  The question is whether you actually use (and backup) it in the unencrypted form first, or whether you encrypt it immediately and only then make a backup and start to use it.  You should definitely do the latter.

Is there an easy way to test my backup?  Or just delete the install, reinstall, and import the backup?
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166
Will "Backup Wallet" in the Namecoin wallet back up the balance of all associated addresses?
Yes, balances and names.  Note that the usual disclaimer from Bitcoin applies - after doing 100 (or how large your keypool is) operations (including coin transactions and name registrations/updates), you need to back up again at the latest.

Is there anything else that might invalidate a backup?  I suppose creating a new receiving address and receiving coins there is one.

I do not think so - except for encrypting a previously unencrypted wallet.  In this case, you even invalidate all new addresses immediately.  (Since they keypool is flushed.)  But maybe I forgot something here, so please do not depend on that without further checking.

Yes.  The question is whether you actually use (and backup) it in the unencrypted form first, or whether you encrypt it immediately and only then make a backup and start to use it.  You should definitely do the latter.
legendary

legendary

legendary

legendary
Yes, balances and names.  Note that the usual disclaimer from Bitcoin applies - after doing 100 (or how large your keypool is) operations (including coin transactions and name registrations/updates), you need to back up again at the latest.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010
Hi!

I have been working on www.getdotbit.com for the last few months, in order to help Namecoin reach popularity.

getdotbit.com is similar to the existing namecoin registrars except for 2 key differences, I am offering completely free domain names for your first, and only 1$ for each subsequent purchase.

Oh, and I'm accepting a ton of altcoin through www.ShapeShift.io, so spread the word to the other cryptocoin forums that they can purchase .bit domain names with their coin of choice.

You are open to transfer your name out at any time, as well as update it's nameserver.

I am very open to feedback regarding the site.

Thank you,

Daniel  

Will be looking into this for future article references...; Smiley

Namecoin is still popular though, Netki is using the Namecoin blockchain at its core to provide a Wallet Name Service Smiley
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Hi!

I have been working on www.getdotbit.com for the last few months, in order to help Namecoin reach popularity.

getdotbit.com is similar to the existing namecoin registrars except for 2 key differences, I am offering completely free domain names for your first, and only 1$ for each subsequent purchase.

Oh, and I'm accepting a ton of altcoin through www.ShapeShift.io, so spread the word to the other cryptocoin forums that they can purchase .bit domain names with their coin of choice.

You are open to transfer your name out at any time, as well as update it's nameserver.

I am very open to feedback regarding the site.

Thank you,

Daniel  
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
The only difference is that iXCoin is a fully matured version of a Bitcoin so ixCoin has many advantages on many levels which Bitcoin won't be able to match for 100 years.

You mean there are no more block rewards?  (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/announce-ixcoin-a-new-bitcoin-fork-36218)

How is mining coming along then? And are there many transactions?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Are you talking about iXcoin?  As far as I know, the differences between IXC and BTC are much less than between NMC and BTC.  I've kept a branch of the updated code that "just" adds merge-mining without the name features on purpose, so feel free to use that as basis for an updated IXC.

Thanks but the IXC code has already been updated - we paid for it and it wasn't cheap.  And the massive pools [CEX and its Discus Fish branch] have actually updated (in secret, of course).

IXC is the only Bitcoin twin in the world.  The only difference is that iXCoin is a fully matured version of a Bitcoin so ixCoin has many advantages on many levels which Bitcoin won't be able to match for 100 years.

Other than that, yeah, BTC and IXC are the same.  Exactly the same.  

I can't tell if you're being a troll or just lack the ability to clearly understand how much crap you're talking.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530
www.ixcoin.net

Are you talking about iXcoin?  As far as I know, the differences between IXC and BTC are much less than between NMC and BTC.  I've kept a branch of the updated code that "just" adds merge-mining without the name features on purpose, so feel free to use that as basis for an updated IXC.

Thanks but the IXC code has already been updated - we paid for it and it wasn't cheap.  And the massive pools [CEX and its Discus Fish branch] have actually updated (in secret, of course).

IXC is the only Bitcoin twin in the world.  The only difference is that iXCoin is a fully matured version of a Bitcoin so ixCoin has many advantages on many levels which Bitcoin won't be able to match for 100 years.

Other than that, yeah, BTC and IXC are the same.  Exactly the same.  
legendary
Namecoin is actually one of very few coins, that doing something more than just being a BTC clone.
I think it will be mined in MM as long BTC will be mined.

Given Discus Fish [aka CEX.io] just paid the NMC devs 20,000 NMC to update the code I'd say there are long term [merge mining] plans.  Just like they have obvious plans for the only other coin they are choosing to merge mine [iXcoin].

I'm a bit saddened; however, by the fact they didn't give us any help updating the code.  I guess they fooled me [again] into paying for it.  lol

Are you talking about iXcoin?  As far as I know, the differences between IXC and BTC are much less than between NMC and BTC.  I've kept a branch of the updated code that "just" adds merge-mining without the name features on purpose, so feel free to use that as basis for an updated IXC.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
Namecoin is actually one of very few coins, that doing something more than just being a BTC clone.

Given Discus Fish [aka CEX.io] just paid the NMC devs 20,000 NMC to update the code I'd say there are long term [merge mining] plans.  Just like they have obvious plans for the only other coin they are choosing to merge mine [iXcoin].

I'm a bit saddened; however, by the fact they didn't give us any help updating the code.  I guess they fooled me [again] into paying for it.  lol
legendary
Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003
Don`t panic! Organize!
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
Anybody know what the max cap is for NMC?   There are no specs in the OP.  Thanks!

same as btc, 21million. Note that a certain portion have been 'burned' in the earlier days as part of network rules.

Nice.  Looks like CEX.io [discus fish] wants to keep it alive [unlike other merged mined coins].  That's a great sign.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Anybody know what the max cap is for NMC?   There are no specs in the OP.  Thanks!

same as btc, 21million. Note that a certain portion have been 'burned' in the earlier days as part of network rules.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Oh ok. Sad that you need a plug in. That mean that I will now be able to use .bit to host my domain name since I will not join easily everyone.  Embarrassed

Maybe I'm wrong. Any clarification is welcome.  Grin
legendary
Does .bit domain really work ? I didnt manage to find any domain working.

Do we need to do something?

Cheer

Valkir
if on windows you not only need the blockchain but you need a plugin for the browser or meowbit.
Namecoin should have a .bit presence for testing purposes but I don't think they do.

There are quite some .bit sites you can try for testing.  nf.bit is the Namecoin forum, domob.bit my website and nameid.bit the .bit version of NameID.  Any of them should work - the latter two use the "import" feature, and thus probably do not work with Meowbit (is this even still around?).  It should work fine with FreeSpeechMe / NMControl-based resolvers in general.
Pages:
Jump to: