Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 56. (Read 594487 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
hei, i'm confused. can someone explain how it works?
can i just register a .bit domain with nmc-qt and than upload .html files to make a website work as .bit? and isers without the nmc-qt cant access it, right?
thank you for answers

No its just dns, you still need hosting. this isnt tor
nmc is just a registrar like name.com
Activity: 803
Merit: 500
hei, i'm confused. can someone explain how it works?
can i just register a .bit domain with nmc-qt and than upload .html files to make a website work as .bit? and isers without the nmc-qt cant access it, right?
thank you for answers
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
Thanks how did one survive though? They were all created together? Seems like only one got renewed.
I assume you modified the value - that is the same as renewing.

whats the lookup command? name_show? is this what bitmessage does?
Probably. There are other commands that let you get the information, though.

ps whats an fpr address?
I have no idea Smiley

{
"name" : "id/phelix",
"value" : "{\"bitmessage\":\"BM-NB81CEbJSvP5ScNtJXTP2CzRrfQkKVvh\",\"fpr\":\"FC819E25D6AC1119F748479DCBF940B772132E18\"}",
"txid" : "8618e472f5339158703dc896a8c157d8039498d78a82da3e98923cb668816e1a",
"address" : "N7KwTy5875Mss5hdwKoP8QdvpKhddSDs3c",
"expires_in" : 10175
}

looks like name_show https://github.com/domob1812/PyBitmessage/blob/master/src/namecoin.py#L82
ah, that's the full fingerprint for my gpg key. Thanks for the tip!
legendary
Thanks how did one survive though? They were all created together? Seems like only one got renewed.

ps whats an fpr address?
I have no idea Smiley

{
"name" : "id/phelix",
"value" : "{\"bitmessage\":\"BM-NB81CEbJSvP5ScNtJXTP2CzRrfQkKVvh\",\"fpr\":\"FC819E25D6AC1119F748479DCBF940B772132E18\"}",
"txid" : "8618e472f5339158703dc896a8c157d8039498d78a82da3e98923cb668816e1a",
"address" : "N7KwTy5875Mss5hdwKoP8QdvpKhddSDs3c",
"expires_in" : 10175
}

looks like name_show https://github.com/domob1812/PyBitmessage/blob/master/src/namecoin.py#L82
legendary

ps whats an fpr address?
I have no idea Smiley
legendary

ps whats an fpr address?
legendary

I wish they wouldnt just disappear then and lets me reregister/renew
legendary
Where's that? Do you have the link to the old zip? Let me delete the database and try the old one.

They shouldn't be expired, they were created with the only one left. Only difference is the rest had no data.

The old version will should make no difference. You will have to redownload the blockchain to use it.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3436752

If you dare pm or bm (BM-NB81CEbJSvP5ScNtJXTP2CzRrfQkKVvh) me on or more of the missing names and I will take a look.

Try to dump the privkey for the address that currently holds the name.

wth youre right 3.72 is the same, i swear they were still there

they disappear once it hits a certain block
It looks like they expired. They are not even taken by somebody else. You are aware that you have to renew names every 36000 blocks (~200days)?

If you are not fully synced it is possible that the names still show up because the client does not know yet that they expired.

I would suggest for you to try and reregister. Note that some of the namespaces you used are obsolete, though. Currently d/ and id/ are active.

In the GUI click    help --> "debug window" --> console tab     then enter "name_history d/yourfancyname" to get some information about it.

i bmd you, do you have pgp?
72132E18 but IMHO bitmessage is safe enough as it is
legendary
Where's that? Do you have the link to the old zip? Let me delete the database and try the old one.

They shouldn't be expired, they were created with the only one left. Only difference is the rest had no data.

The old version will should make no difference. You will have to redownload the blockchain to use it.

If you dare pm or bm (BM-NB81CEbJSvP5ScNtJXTP2CzRrfQkKVvh) me on or more of the missing names and I will take a look.

wth youre right 3.72 is the same, i swear they were still there

they disappear once it hits a certain block

i bmd you, do you have pgp?
legendary

legendary

legendary
many of my names seem to have disappeared after the last update
Looks a bit like you did some experiments with directory names and then mixed up older and newer versions of your wallet.dat backups. What does the "validateaddress" command give you on the addresses of these names? "ismine"=true?

i dont think so

yes it says true

if i delete the database, they appear but disappear at or close to synced

out of many, only 1 shows, i dont think they expired as 1 is still good, the other may have no data tho, are those filtered?
did you try to start with -rescan, like
Code:
namecoin-qt -rescan

still gone ive also tried deleting everything but the wallet
Did they expire? What does name_history say? I don't see how the update could be directly responsible.
Activity: 79
Merit: 12
How long a name will stay until it expires?
36000 Blocks. This currently equals to around 200 days.

200 days? my god, i'm sure many people are going to lose their domain names or IDs very soon,
it should be a year or more than a year and stop resolving after a year.

I bet some people would like to be able to pay for longer registration periods,
even if it's more expensive than just renewing every year,
just to have the security to not run into trouble.

what's the official fee plan? 0.01 forever and for TX follow bitcoin fees?
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
36000 Blocks. This currently equals to around 200 days.

name_update: error: {"code":-5,"message":"Invalid namecoin address"}
This shows that you made a syntax error. The error message "Invalid namecoin address" is displayed only when you transfer a name to somebody else. This is not what you want.

Check the value field of your name_update command. I think there is a space or a special character in your value field.
legendary
Looks a bit like you did some experiments with directory names and then mixed up older and newer versions of your wallet.dat backups. What does the "validateaddress" command give you on the addresses of these names? "ismine"=true?

i dont think so

yes it says true

out of many, only 1 shows, i dont think they expired as 1 is still good, the other may have no data tho, are those filtered?
Code:
namecoin-qt -rescan

still gone ive also tried deleting everything but the wallet
Activity: 44
Merit: 0

One of my names does not resolve any more, but when  I tried to re-extablish it with historical commands those commands failed

name_update: error: {"code":-5,"message":"Invalid namecoin address"}

name_firstupdate: error: {"code":-1,"message":"this name is already active"}

legendary

i dont think so

yes it says true

Code:
namecoin-qt -rescan
legendary

i dont think so

yes it says true

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: