Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 75. (Read 594476 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

I have a new idea. These would be most important imho:
- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- signmessage
- verifymessage

Oh, these will be first at least in what I am working on.  Really for no other reason then they came first, so they will be easy to work into the code as I work up the timeline.   At the moment though I just got done putting in some fixes for the coinbase.   Now I have no real way to test these.  So,  is anyone running testnet these days for namecoin?  Anyone up to helping to test? Or anyone have a networked connected box/vps I can use to run it on the testnet?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
[...]
How's this for a plan? I need the following RPC calls added:
- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- importaddress (from codeshark's PR, I can dig the number if needed)
- listunspent
- createrawtransaction
- decoderawtransaction
- getrawtransaction
- sendrawtransaction
- signrawtransaction
- signmessage
- verifymessage
- listaddressgroupings (I can live without this one, but it is useful)

I also need all the tx to be available for querying, not just those for wallet addresses (I think that's already the way it is).

- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- signmessage
- verifymessage

What? Where did you take that those would be the most important *for my needs*? Smiley

So, in a nutshell no, that will not be enough, not even close to it, for my needs. I will, however, be glad to tip anyone that pushes those 4 rpc calls into namecoin.
hehe.

I am wondering what is the best way to go forward. Try and rebase on v0.8 or improving the current codebase? Rebasing would probably be a hell of a lot of work. Is there any good library we can build on by now?

edit: here goes the idea: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/nmc-brainstorm-file-signing-210876 [NMC] Brainstorm: File Signing
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
[...]
- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- listunspent
- createrawtransaction
- decoderawtransaction
- getrawtransaction
- sendrawtransaction
- signrawtransaction
- signmessage
- verifymessage

I also need all the tx to be available for querying, not just those for wallet addresses (I think that's already the way it is).

- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- signmessage
- verifymessage

What? Where did you take that those would be the most important *for my needs*? Smiley

So, in a nutshell no, that will not be enough, not even close to it, for my needs. I will, however, be glad to tip anyone that pushes those 4 rpc calls into namecoin.
legendary
[...]
- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- listunspent
- createrawtransaction
- decoderawtransaction
- getrawtransaction
- sendrawtransaction
- signrawtransaction
- signmessage
- verifymessage

- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- signmessage
- verifymessage

[...]
i'm sure some more people are holding huge stacks of nmc,
they should step-up, join together, make a foundation or something to manage the bounties and pay someone
[...]

There is a little known Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund:
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=473&p=2694

I was not even aware there is a Namecoin subreddit now: http://www.reddit.com/r/namecoin
legendary
Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Shouldn't this be in Alternate Cryoptocurrencies?

No. Namecoin is special since it was designed as a complement for bitcoin (data storage, naming spaces, etc) not a competitor (merged-mining).

And besides it has been in this section since April 2011 and now you want to move it?

snailbrain:

Namecoin-qt - based on Namecoin 3.50 + Latest Bitcoin-qt

Awesome. I think this alone will be sufficient to revive interest in namecoins and its vision. Make sure it is well-tested, I can help with that ...
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
This is a preview:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40390855/namecoin_wallet.html
Logo, domain, translations will come and may be other features also.
Activity: 544
Today, yes. But this is a thread of historical value. Above people event planted the rumor vinced could be an alter ego of the great Satoshi himself.  Cheesy

Also it's so messy in the Altcoins section these days.  Wink

Far too many Alt errr Egos  Tongue
legendary
Today, yes. But this is a thread of historical value. Above people event planted the rumor vinced could be an alter ego of the great Satoshi himself.  Cheesy

Also it's so messy in the Altcoins section these days.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians

not far off..

currently encrypt wallet not working
and ----->> sending coins seem to go into oblivion Smiley (but working from console it seems).. other than that, seems "ok"... will upload something soon

Good work. I like it.
Namecoin is great.
-----------
My utility is a Merged Bitcoin and Namecoin Address and Brain Wallet with the same private key.
Its a fork of bitaddress.org and the same pass-phrase can be used to generate the BTC and NMC address.
So it is less to memorize. I took this idea from the Casascius utility.
legendary

not far off..

currently encrypt wallet not working
and ----->> sending coins seem to go into oblivion Smiley (but working from console it seems).. other than that, seems "ok"... will upload something soon

I have done a little bit Namecoin development in JavaScript but I think it will be useful.
It is still not ready the logo, domain reservation and some translations are incomplete.
Do you want to see it now or do you wait a couple of days until it is ready ?
legendary
funny.. i actually thought this myself

Satoshi = Vinced
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Also, I will accept paying the bounty for a working namecoind as described above even if it doesn't have the merged mining stuff in, as that is something well served afaik with the outdated client.

That is simply not going to work, unless you mean a namecoin fork or alternative.  Namecoin needs merge mining to at least validate the blocks already made with it active, even if you turn it off in this new version.   Merged mining is a forking change.

I just arrived at the same conclusion myself; I got a nodejs implementation able to connect and download the namecoin blockchain up until the merged mining fork at block 19200. Looks like I'll have to delve into the Aux-POW logic to make any more progress.

Updated Mac port, and a gui version for sending coins for windows as well.

--URL REMOVED--

Can you share the source code? Pushing binaries around is dangerous (for users) at best.

Yes.   Binaries from unknown sources are very dangerous.  

It's great there is some new namecoin work being done, but it has to be in the open for all of us to see or else no one will trust it.

Post the source on github or another suitable location and let us all review it.  

The benefits of having a compiled binary is speed and simplicity in that its one file to move around, but then you run into these issues; you need to have a trusted compiler who can GPG sign the results and be trusted by the community. That's why I'm liking the possibilities of a Nodejs implementation; it has the power of server and a client, and doesn't have to be compiled, so is a lot easier to verify it's not been tampered with. The advancements in the Bitcoin source have added lots of great features for wallet manipulation and security, and building on a different platform doesn't take full advantage of that, but those can be added incrementally. I'm glad this thread necromancy has revitalized some developers to come out of the woodwork! Cheesy
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
ooohhhh aaahhhhhhhh, namecoin updates.  im so excited!
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
what has happened to Vinced and Khal?

I'll keep all updated..

I am passionate about NMC, and would love to see this crypto become no1 coin Smiley

As far as I know, Khal is still around but difficult to get hold of ...  Sad

It seems this project has kept him busy recently:
Free bitcoins with Surf4Bitcoin.com

This quote may explain a little more:

Will you use some of the money you make from this to do something for namecoin and bring it back from the dead? Or is namecoin a lost cause?    Undecided
I had no time to give to namecoins those last months (spent on charityad mainly), and we still lack support from developers or anybody. Maybe there are some things that could be done to improve this ?
Now that i'm a bit more available (I started to read this forum again some weeks ago :p), i'll take [some] time to make things evolve a bit ( do you know a magical way to get help from people ? :p).

Namecoin has great potential but had a rocky start with the miners basically raping it in the early days before merged mining, left it hanging for months stuck on a too high difficulty for a short term gain (it actually makes a great case study for a potential bitcoin attack). Many early developers lost interest and moved back to bitcoin and surrounding ventures after the mining attack.

Vinced hasn't been seen since v. early days ... there is some suspicion he was satoshi also (the level of code changes needed, speed and accuracy with which it was produced, use of british english and his disappearance around same time all point towards that). The namecoin idea was partly to keep bitcoin blockchain free from data storage and exclusively for transactions by providing namecoin for data storage ... so nothing has changed, we are still arguing over keeping data storage off bitcoin blockchain but namecoin cannot get even one bitcoin dev interested ...

It is probably the best piece of coding of the alt-coins next to bitcoin but is becoming out-dated and there are some unresolved issues regarding appropriate levels for fees (yes that old chestnut again) which are more complex than bitcoin's issue with fees since name transactions are involved. Nothing insurmountable in my opinion. Namecoin DNS is only a tiny part of what namecoin is capable of ....

Yes I feel it is the only legit cryptocurrency besides Bitcoin itself, since it is not just some pump-and-dump clone coin created only as some get rich quick scheme but has an actual use (potentially many) which, as mentioned, will compliment Bitcoin and not be in competition with it among speculators.  

Yes, please we need a gavin for namecoin ... or at least a coordinated dev effort. Khal needs help or may even want to hand over the keys to the main github source and forum to allow some new blood in ...

Perhaps if khal sees more people willing to step up and help out he may find more time to devote to it himself.  I hope it can start moving again. Namecoin has so much potential...

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

I'll keep all updated..

I am passionate about NMC, and would love to see this crypto become no1 coin Smiley

As far as I know, Khal is still around but difficult to get hold of ...  Sad

Namecoin has great potential but had a rocky start with the miners basically raping it in the early days before merged mining, left it hanging for months stuck on a too high difficulty for a short term gain (it actually makes a great case study for a potential bitcoin attack). Many early developers lost interest and moved back to bitcoin and surrounding ventures after the mining attack.

Vinced hasn't been seen since v. early days ... there is some suspicion he was satoshi also (the level of code changes needed, speed and accuracy with which it was produced, use of british english and his disappearance around same time all point towards that). The namecoin idea was partly to keep bitcoin blockchain free from data storage and exclusively for transactions by providing namecoin for data storage ... so nothing has changed, we are still arguing over keeping data storage off bitcoin blockchain but namecoin cannot get even one bitcoin dev interested ...

It is probably the best piece of coding of the alt-coins next to bitcoin but is becoming out-dated and there are some unresolved issues regarding appropriate levels for fees (yes that old chestnut again) which are more complex than bitcoin's issue with fees since name transactions are involved. Nothing insurmountable in my opinion. Namecoin DNS is only a tiny part of what namecoin is capable of ....

Yes, please we need a gavin for namecoin ... or at least a coordinated dev effort. Khal needs help or may even want to hand over the keys to the main github source and forum to allow some new blood in ...
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
If someone else is working on this project, let me know asap and I will give up... i wouldn't bother changing or trying to roll out an update namecoin (3.50+) until we find out off the Khal/vinced and/or the community what updates are required... also what i have had done thus far will have been a complete waste of my time.

I'll keep all updated..

what happend? no idea... please someone explain...

Man, i hope you have the knowledge and time to keep going.
We need the Gavin Andressen of namecoin, someone that can do proper bitcoin follow up,

and as the good guys here offering the bounty, they really need to setup a dev team and convince them that nmc
can be as valuable as ltc or more if the proper dev follow-up is mantained.

i'm sure some more people are holding huge stacks of nmc,
they should step-up, join together, make a foundation or something to manage the bounties and pay someone

i would love to help but i'm out off the loop, since i've work long time in IT admin.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
I didn't think the merged mining issue through, you are correct. I was going for "no need to allow mining" but obviously full merged POW is needed to verify blocks, so that's moot.

So the only viable option is improve on the current 0.3.50 codebase, I guess. I would still think it possible to hook into the latest bitcoind to support NMC, but that's likely much less trivial than I assumed from the start.

- importprivkey
- dumpprivkey
- listunspent
- createrawtransaction
- decoderawtransaction
- getrawtransaction
- sendrawtransaction
- signrawtransaction
- signmessage
- verifymessage

Pages:
Jump to: