Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 77. (Read 594476 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
nmc client based on the default bitcoin qt client coming soon..

Are you serious?? ... this would be exceptional, i hope you are not jagging our chains here?
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
What are the possibilities of creating a merged Lite client like Multibit or Electrum by incorporating into their existing structure. Perhaps as an Add-on for NMC compatibility?    Huh
legendary
Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020
nmc client based on the default bitcoin qt client coming soon..
Activity: 504
Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.
The issue there is the blockchain; in order to do anything, or show the user anything, the web application needs a trusted copy of the blockchain. If it's a locally-running app, most users don't have a database program running on their local machine for a web app to hook into. As a public website that users can visit (like instawallet, or blockchain.info's wallet) that's very doable (the server also connects to the P2P network and trusts its own database records for users to query), and I mentioned that as something I'm looking into, using node, like the bitcoinjs project.

Actually I was thinking the pesron would be a running a full LAMP setup. Albeit customised.

LAMP for a local GUI? Huh That really does not make sense.

No really, I have a version of an instawallet running on my local machine in a VM image that is basically a vanilla Ubuntu LAMP installation with the coind server running. I log in through my browser on my host computer and I can send, receive, check stats of the network, etc...

I know it's not the best way of doing it, but it does work.
Whatever you develop for the namecoin network it is better than nothing and the community will surely accept it positively.
Best would be a Satoshi based client for the security. However if you like and can work better in a web environment it would be also helpful.
From LAMP as I see it would be enough A+P for a web client and it would be portable for every operation system. If you make it minimalistic without unnecessary complications it will be  easier for others to understand it and eventually continue your work.
Yesterday I started also to make something browser based for namecoin(just html with javascript) and I intend to release it this week.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.
The issue there is the blockchain; in order to do anything, or show the user anything, the web application needs a trusted copy of the blockchain. If it's a locally-running app, most users don't have a database program running on their local machine for a web app to hook into. As a public website that users can visit (like instawallet, or blockchain.info's wallet) that's very doable (the server also connects to the P2P network and trusts its own database records for users to query), and I mentioned that as something I'm looking into, using node, like the bitcoinjs project.

Actually I was thinking the pesron would be a running a full LAMP setup. Albeit customised.

No really, I have a version of an instawallet running on my local machine in a VM image that is basically a vanilla Ubuntu LAMP installation with the coind server running. I log in through my browser on my host computer and I can send, receive, check stats of the network, etc...

Sounds very complicated. Smiley
I wonder if Namecoins has just uncover a flaw in the Bitcoin system.

Just take a look at what happen with Namecoins now, someone just brought up some serious hash power, taking the dificulty from 3500 all the way up to 55k, then retired back to Bitcoins (i guess).
Now Namecoins are on a depresion, pleople stoping mining them, next dificulty is stimated at 16k, but at this rate it will not happen until 07/08/2011.

I just think its way to easy for a big spender to crush NMC with less then a million dollars, because you would be able to do a 51% attack, correct?

This is why the popular alt coins use scrypt, so ASIC miners can't just jump chains to cause havoc. If a coin can be mined with a Bitcoin ASIC then its doomed, the hashing algorithm must be different.

Bitcoin can't suffer from this problem because it has already attracted the largest amount of hash power. Even if every alt coin switch to Bitcoin it would not change the difficulty too much.

If you make a alt coin based on the SHA hashing of Bitcoin then you will be attacked easily.
This is absolute nonsense. Exactly the opposite is the case. The Namecoin network had all the time a higher hashrate/market volume than any other chain. This is because of the merged mining with bitcoin. Because of this high hashrate it is not profitable to make solo mining for namecoin and it has the lowest mining reward.
Scrypt doesn't protect at all against miner switch, they need only to change the mining program even if it is using different parameter but they cannot bundle their efforts to protect the network if they are different parameters.
Just compare the facts:
http://dustcoin.com/mining
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
I wonder if Namecoins has just uncover a flaw in the Bitcoin system.

Just take a look at what happen with Namecoins now, someone just brought up some serious hash power, taking the dificulty from 3500 all the way up to 55k, then retired back to Bitcoins (i guess).
Now Namecoins are on a depresion, pleople stoping mining them, next dificulty is stimated at 16k, but at this rate it will not happen until 07/08/2011.

I just think its way to easy for a big spender to crush NMC with less then a million dollars, because you would be able to do a 51% attack, correct?

This is why the popular alt coins use scrypt, so ASIC miners can't just jump chains to cause havoc. If a coin can be mined with a Bitcoin ASIC then its doomed, the hashing algorithm must be different.

Bitcoin can't suffer from this problem because it has already attracted the largest amount of hash power. Even if every alt coin switch to Bitcoin it would not change the difficulty too much.

If you make a alt coin based on the SHA hashing of Bitcoin then you will be attacked easily.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

legendary

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
I'll see if i can get it compiled on a Mac OS for you and either tel you what I did or you could try my binary if you like ... what OSX are you on and 32 or 64bit? (also might be able to do it using clang I suppose)
I'm on 10.6.8, trying to use Macports libraries to get it to work. Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
tried namecoin, wouldnt work.
Activity: 106
Of course, the bitcoin dev/miners will say "bloat!" as soon as anyone try to store any information on it,

the value of nmc relies on the functions as a distributed database storage, and a un-censored dns, (imagine the goverments start blocking bitcoin exchanges!)

the merged mining was setup to assure the survival of nmc in all cases, however it had the side-effect of making nmc mining unproffitable.

however without a proper follow-up of updates and easy-ness of use it's not going to take-off, (chicken and egg problem)

it was thought that in the future, some-one will develop this, as in the current-state, a regulat user cannot figure how to use it.

I'm not sure if this was deliberated to prevent outsiders to use this technology or vinced got suck on something or just moved-on after losing interest.

PD: maybe lowering the transaction fees and giving some advertisement of the advantages of nmc will encourage the adoption of nmc from the colored-coin people. It is remarkable that much more information can be stored in nmc than btc. The system must be updated, but the only one that can do it is people holding nmc, the rest don't care...
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?
Hmm, boost 1.53 is installed with the "+universal" variant from MacPorts, and there's no separate boost-filesystem port, so that looks to be it. I do have a /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.a file in that location. I did try running the command with 'sudo' in front, wondering if it might be local filesystem permissions, but that doesn't help either. I'll try re-installing the boost port and see if that helps. Thanks!
No luck; still getting that error. Is anyone else's darwin/osx gcc-fu better than mine and can get a Mac binary compiled? I can muddle my way through C code (I'm a PHP/Python dev, mostly), but all the compiling nuances I haven't gotten my head around entirely.

I'll see if i can get it compiled on a Mac OS for you and either tel you what I did or you could try my binary if you like ... what OSX are you on and 32 or 64bit? (also might be able to do it using clang I suppose)

It's great someone is taking a look ... interesting that vinced used OP codes inside Script, I've never taken that close a look ... adds to the mystery who was vinced and the contention that he was one of 'team nakamoto'
legendary
Okay, so I can't get a working binary on my Mac right now, but I can delve through the source code, and that has been very enlightening, namely, that Namecoins really are just colored coins! I had thought that the Namecoin alt had modified the transaction structure in some way to handle setting the value of the registered name, but that doesn't look to be the case. Instead, Namecoin uses the Script of the transaction to set a value, and enforces that subsequent "name_update" transactions absorb the most recent unspent transaction of the same 0.01 NMC that was used to initialize the name in the first place. Namecoin usurps a few of the Script constants (namely OP_1, OP_2, and OP_3) and gives them special meaning. It constructs the Scripts to properly validate with the standard Bitcoin parser (it uses OP_DROP to drop off its special values before continuing with a standard transaction Script).

Namecoin's blockchain is at the same speed as Bitcoin's (10 minutes), and uses the same hashing methodology, just the genesis block is based on a different string. That aside, it looks to me that Namecoin's transactions would qualify as valid, non-standard Bitcoin transactions (non-standard because they use different opcodes in their Scripts). As far as I can tell, most all the other changes to the Namecoin source compared to Bitcoin's are to implement the merged mining idea.

So... given that "non-standard transactions" might be entering the community's awareness more, due to 0.8.2 marking microtransactions as non-standard, the question that comes to my mind is why is this an alt-chain at all? The same mining pools that have been convinced to run namecoin pools, could probably be convinced to run pools that accept non-standard Bitcoin transactions (or specific non-standard transactions that conform to a "namecoin standard script") instead, and "namecoins" could become colored Bitcoins with a particular script giving them a data value as well. Is there a strong benefit to having this be a completely separate blockchain?
Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?
Hmm, boost 1.53 is installed with the "+universal" variant from MacPorts, and there's no separate boost-filesystem port, so that looks to be it. I do have a /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.a file in that location. I did try running the command with 'sudo' in front, wondering if it might be local filesystem permissions, but that doesn't help either. I'll try re-installing the boost port and see if that helps. Thanks!
No luck; still getting that error. Is anyone else's darwin/osx gcc-fu better than mine and can get a Mac binary compiled? I can muddle my way through C code (I'm a PHP/Python dev, mostly), but all the compiling nuances I haven't gotten my head around entirely.
Or even contact the colored-coins people, they sure will want a data storage solution like NMC.

Colored coins could be integrated with the namecoin system and it would be fine if they animate the consumption of namecoins.
Activity: 106

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_WUI

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300

I was thinking of something that would run entirely self containe on the users computer. Apache, MySQL, everything. By default it would only allow a local (perhaps even requiring authentication) user to connect.
What would be the advantage over a normal GUI?

A browser api that connects with a blockchain.info style page , will raise awareness and will be easy for the user, since he don't have to download all the nmc blockchain, or it could also connects to the local nmc-qt or nmc-id.

however for that to happen, as i understand the namecoin-id or the server side equivalent needs to be updated to support all the improvements,
if not is a work half-done and we could encounter bugs or security issues in the future.

I don't know the reasons of the abandon of the nmc project, but i know for sure that their value will skyrocket if there's a system in place. Even tor it's easyer to use than this at the moment. This project was supposed to super-seed tor making it more user friendly with proper name-addresses.

I would suggest offering the bounty in btc or fiat and maybe posting in a developers job for bitcoins page.
Or even contact the colored-coins people, they sure will want a data storage solution like NMC.
legendary

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_WUI

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300

I was thinking of something that would run entirely self containe on the users computer. Apache, MySQL, everything. By default it would only allow a local (perhaps even requiring authentication) user to connect.
What would be the advantage over a normal GUI?
Pages:
Jump to: