Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 78. (Read 594476 times)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?
Hmm, boost 1.53 is installed with the "+universal" variant from MacPorts, and there's no separate boost-filesystem port, so that looks to be it. I do have a /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.a file in that location. I did try running the command with 'sudo' in front, wondering if it might be local filesystem permissions, but that doesn't help either. I'll try re-installing the boost port and see if that helps. Thanks!
Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.
The issue there is the blockchain; in order to do anything, or show the user anything, the web application needs a trusted copy of the blockchain. If it's a locally-running app, most users don't have a database program running on their local machine for a web app to hook into. As a public website that users can visit (like instawallet, or blockchain.info's wallet) that's very doable (the server also connects to the P2P network and trusts its own database records for users to query), and I mentioned that as something I'm looking into, using node, like the bitcoinjs project.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Really does no one consider the possibility of making the GUI a web application that runs in browser on the users own machine? It would be like running an instawallet on your own computer with the possibility of entering in console commands.

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_WUI

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300

I was thinking of something that would run entirely self containe on the users computer. Apache, MySQL, everything. By default it would only allow a local (perhaps even requiring authentication) user to connect.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Security is important and it is best if we base on the Satoshi client.
Before we implement new domains the .bit registration should be made more flexible.
Namecoin should be available for everybody but who is ready to pay for it should have additional features.
What is if somebody register a trademarked name(Google, Microsoft, ...) ? By the usual DNS lawyers are connected and they earn millions or billions. By .bit domains they would engage detectives to find out the real owner and pursue him and the detectives and lawyers earn again.
We could redirect this money flow to the namecoin system.

2 new registration features:
- Registered .bit domains could be contested for the 1.000x (tausendfold) of the regular registration fee and taken away.
- For the 10x of the registration fee .bit domains could be hardened so with no contestation they can be taken away.

This would bring more movement in the registration process and domain problems could be solved with namecoin.
That would bring more namecoin trade, domain hoarders cannot ask any price or they must pay more for hardened domains and would bring also more domain justice.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

Yes it has been considered, even with added functionality of enabling dot-bit browsing and future namespace extensions (ID, etc) ... but the security is difficult.

http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_WUI

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300
legendary
Activity: 1540

I just don't see how that helps getting the namecoin server easier to maintain and use. So you need users to either trust a central hub for all their transactions or build and run their own namecoind...
legendary
We need an updated client GUI which is password protected and intuitive for the masses to make namecoin more popular.
That would raise the need for namecoins and raise the prices what would bring more financial funds for development.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
1) patching latest bitcoind to support namecoin
Right, though it seems no one has a description of how the Namecoin client modified the Bitcoin P2P protocol, not just the RPC protocol, so rebuilding it from scratch would be more difficult. I presume a working namecoin client does allow the "rawtransaction" cli command to show some of the detail in a given transaction structure? (the blockexplorer site for Namecoin doesn't show that level of detail). I'm still struggling to get a working client compiled for my OSX box, so can't check myself.

Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting this compile error trying to build the client? I'm using Macports for the library installations.

Something to with the boost-filesystem package it seems ... maybe that it wasn't compiled for 64bit?
Right, though it seems no one has a description of how the Namecoin client modified the Bitcoin P2P protocol, not just the RPC protocol, so rebuilding it from scratch would be more difficult. I presume a working namecoin client does allow the "rawtransaction" cli command to show some of the detail in a given transaction structure? (the blockexplorer site for Namecoin doesn't show that level of detail). I'm still struggling to get a working client compiled for my OSX box, so can't check myself.

Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting this compile error trying to build the client? I'm using Macports for the library installations.
legendary

Although updating the namecoind client for leveldb and pruning would be nice too .... not sure how easy the nmc merged-mining code would be to rebase onto 0.8.1 though ...

I could certainly live with a version that initially didn't support merged mining. I mean, miners can use (and are using) the old version anyway, we need a client to be able to use the coins and create services to support the chain. My pledge will be paid even if without merged mining.
legendary
The GUI should be easy to achieve once the namecoin support is patched on top of the latest bitcoind, but that does mean some hacking still.

I really think it is best to have this work split in two:

2) tweaking the GUI to support namecoin specific functions

I have pledged 1000 NMC to 1)

lunarboy (100) and marcus_of_augustus (1000) pledged 1100 NMC to 2)

the GUI can be achieved without 1), but I am certainly not interested in that as what I need is the server support.

Is there anyone willing to take this task? Any more pledges? Someone (trusted) to take the funds pledged and deliver to bounty taker after completion?
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
Wonder if it would easier at this point to begin with latest bitcoin as code base and try re-implement vinced's and khal namecoin functionality on top of that ... instead of trying to rebase namecoind ... 0.3.51 on to bitcoin 0.8.1?

On this ... I add my still outstanding bounty pledge for usable GUI to nelisky's ... 1000nmc, so total now 2000nmc for namecoin-qt client.

Also .. has anybody heard from doublec ... I can't believe he really disappeared with the bitparking exchange funds? ( I know where he lives)

I must have worded myself wrong. My pledge is for a working bitcoind, I don't really care for the GUI part at this point. And also rebasing is most simply not possible as the code bases have diverged a lot. Like I have mentioned before I can provide a diff for the namecoin specific changes over the bitcoin source as it was.

Someone else was talking about just getting a namecoin-qt GUI client and renaming the debug window "Namespace Manager" to do name_XXXX cmndline rpc calls .. I thought you were talking about that?

Although updating the namecoind client for leveldb and pruning would be nice too .... not sure how easy the nmc merged-mining code would be to rebase onto 0.8.1 though ...
Activity: 544
DoubleC is alive and well, had few messages from him some days ago about my account, super busy with a hack and repatriating Bitparking funds i'd imagine.

a GUI would be nice osx

+100 NMC pledge
legendary
Why not make a gui client operational via web browser? Run a small Apache server with PHP and just do everything through the browser. Appropriate no for a DNS system. It could be a plugin for chrome or something.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
Wonder if it would easier at this point to begin with latest bitcoin as code base and try re-implement vinced's and khal namecoin functionality on top of that ... instead of trying to rebase namecoind ... 0.3.51 on to bitcoin 0.8.1?

On this ... I add my still outstanding bounty pledge for usable GUI to nelisky's ... 1000nmc, so total now 2000nmc for namecoin-qt client.

Also .. has anybody heard from doublec ... I can't believe he really disappeared with the bitparking exchange funds? ( I know where he lives)

I would think it would be easier to go from 0.8.1 -> new namecoind, rather than trying to bring 0.3.51 namecoind up to date.  Also makes me glad I had pulled my namecoins out of bitparking, even if I did convert and waste them all on satoshidice.
legendary

I must have worded myself wrong. My pledge is for a working bitcoind, I don't really care for the GUI part at this point. And also rebasing is most simply not possible as the code bases have diverged a lot. Like I have mentioned before I can provide a diff for the namecoin specific changes over the bitcoin source as it was.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

I am ready to donate for the developer who brings out an improved client with GUI and password protection.
The amount will be between 5-10 BTC if I ever receive back  this amount from the former namecoin bitparking exchange.
legendary

Think Khal is your man.

I'm planning on spending some time on namecoin again. The price may fluctuate a bit :p

He's still working on the namecoin project, but appears to be quite busy. i'm willing to donate a few coins, perhaps if there is enough of us we could get some development.  Huh

Reiterating my vouch for 1000 NMC to whomever get a working namecoind version (source code, obviously) that matches the functionalities of the current bitcoind and allows for keeping track of the developments of bitcoind going forward. I don't care about the UI, though that would certainly help further adoption, but that's best taken as a separate project or it might become a little daunting to do it all in a short time period.

My bounty can be extended if someone shows interested and provides a timeline.
Pages:
Jump to: