Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 85. (Read 594428 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
While were in development stage lets solve some more problems, like the removal of ssl certificate authority! How about when you register a domain you get a private and a public key for it, then when you go to a website you browser asks namecoin for the public key for that domain, and then a secure connection is established. This system can be implemented into the existing ssl standard. What do you guys think?

Very interesting idea ... I'm listening. Sounds almost too simple (i.e.too good to be true) could be brilliant. Flesh it out some more.

Would greatly increase potential benefits of namecoins if we could do away with those lecherous certificate "authorities
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
While were in development stage lets solve some more problems, like the removal of ssl certificate authority! How about when you register a domain you get a private and a public key for it, then when you go to a website you browser asks namecoin for the public key for that domain, and then a secure connection is established. This system can be implemented into the existing ssl standard. What do you guys think?
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Freelance videographer
I need hlep with namecoin as im compeltely new to this,I need to take this oppourtunity but hte instructions are too hard for me also the setup is very hard for me.

What is the value of namecoin vs other currencies?
2.How do I trade them?
3.How to set up pooled and solo mining on GUIminer?
4.How do I get a namecoin domain?As I hear that thats your username.

Can someone who knows this please walk me through the setup thank you?
Activity: 36
Latest OS X binaries

64-bit only

Code:
$ ./namecoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 32190, ...
}
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
Latest Windows binaries last commit: June 18, 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30252547/namecoin_2011-06-18.zip
SHA-1: 422CBA703E1ED6CC976E598640EF6AE14D30E113
3D47C4C7FBB2816D1C2586DF8917DBD838B8138A (fixed)

commits since last release:
2011-06-18   Merge pull request #5 from pvwoods/master
2011-06-17   VALIDATION CHANGE to increase expiration and decline network fees faster
2011-06-15   cleaned up some copy references to 'bitcoin' so that they now say 'namec...
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
I'm having a problem with the .conf file. Is there a special way it needs to be created? the way I was doing it was with a text document named bitoin.conf and I'd put a user name and pass in it yet it still doesn't work. Namecoind closes automatically by itself still and if I run namecoind commands in CMD I get this error:

error: You must set rpcpassword= in the configuration file:
C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf

The file is in the correct place. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Does that path exist on your computer? Is that where you put the file? You do have file extensions showing under folder options, correct?
guys, it's
%appdata%\namecoin\bitcoin.conf
foo
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
Tip for Windows users: I discovered that if you create a shortcut to namecoind.exe and execute that instead of the exe directly, namecoind will go into the background so you don't need to have a useless command prompt window hanging around. Smiley
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I'm having a problem with the .conf file. Is there a special way it needs to be created? the way I was doing it was with a text document named bitoin.conf and I'd put a user name and pass in it yet it still doesn't work. Namecoind closes automatically by itself still and if I run namecoind commands in CMD I get this error:

Does that path exist on your computer? Is that where you put the file? You do have file extensions showing under folder options, correct?
Activity: 42

Most likely the file is having .txt appended to it by notepad.  How to check.

Open a command prompt
type
move C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf.txt C:/Users/Edit/AppData/Roaming/Namecoin/bitcoin.conf

Try to start bitcoind again
Activity: 84
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005
Activity: 371
Merit: 250
listreceivedbyaddress

you forgot the d... Sad
legendary
ok, read that the windows client might not show anything after running
Code:
start namecoind

So with that open, I went ahead and open another command line windows, and issued
Code:
namecoind listreceivebyaddress 0 true
Then I get
Code:
error: <"code":-32601,"message":"Method not found">
legendary
Win7, tried running
Code:
start namecoind
A new windows pops up, but nothing happens.

What exactly should be in the bitcoin.conf file?
I have
Code:
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcport=8336
daemon=1

I also have the Win version of bitcoin client running.
Is the port number and daemon causing problems?
Crs
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Turns out GPU Solo mining for namecoins is scary as fuck. All you get to see is how much your hashrate is in GUIminer, but the whole time namecoind won't report any indication at all that you're mining. You just sit there and hope to fuck its working.

Is that about the jist of it?

My rate is 750mhash/s, so I should get a block a day. I just read one guys report who has twice my hash rate, but he only gets 1 block a day. Mine has been going for about 18 hours now. Gunna have a nervous breakdown in the next 6 hours if namecoind getinfo tells me I still have a balance of 0.00000000.
When you'll find a bock you will see something like this:

nmc@nmcpc:~$ tail bitcoin1.log
[14/06/2011 01:04:04] Phoenix r100 starting...
[14/06/2011 01:04:04] Connected to server
Result: 00026a32 accepted
Result: 00044ecc accepted

[331.40 Mhash/sec] [2 Accepted] [0 Rejected] [RPC]nmc@nmcpc:~$

Or you could use the ./namecoind listtransactions command. Cheers!
Activity: 144
Merit: 101
Also, http://dot-bit.org/forum/index.php

Best place to go for Namecoin questions... starting to become more widely used as of this week.

I think we should have a Namecoin link on the home page that redirects to the Namecoin forum. We have a lot of people posting Namecoin-related posts here, and very few posting on the actual Namecoin forum.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
Also, http://dot-bit.org/forum/index.php

Best place to go for Namecoin questions... starting to become more widely used as of this week.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
Turns out GPU Solo mining for namecoins is scary as fuck. All you get to see is how much your hashrate is in GUIminer, but the whole time namecoind won't report any indication at all that you're mining. You just sit there and hope to fuck its working.

My rate is 750mhash/s, so I should get a block a day. I just read one guys report who has twice my hash rate, but he only gets 1 block a day. Mine has been going for about 18 hours now. Gunna have a nervous breakdown in the next 6 hours if namecoind getinfo tells me I still have a balance of 0.00000000.

You may also want to try "namecoind listtransactions" to see if there's anything coming in that isn't confirmed yet (so not showing in wallet).
Activity: 500
Merit: 253

Activity: 33
Win7, I ran:
Code:
namecoind listreceivebyaddress 0 true
then i get
Code:
Error: couldn't connect to server

Yes, I have the bitcoin.conf file set up

Make sure namecoind is running. There should be two windows open- the command prompt where you type in whatever you need, and the namecoind server. You'll know it's running if it says "bitcoin server starting"

Also ensure you're calling the correct location with the cd command.
Pages:
Jump to: