Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 9. (Read 155276 times)

Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!
BFL won't be testing anything until February based on their timeline.

I am quite sure you are correct - i was just saying it might imply Avalon HAS done some testing of assembled units already..  Of course ALL of this conjecture about ASICs is a crap shoot until someone actually receives a finished product.

Someone should open a bitcoin betting site that allows betting on who releases first and how close to original specs they were..   just to REALLY beat a dead horse..
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Yup. Very good product!

Blocks avg. per hour: 4.92
Difficulty:   3,249,550
Next Difficulty: in 947 blocks 3,035,068
Network Hashrate: 21.73 Terahashs/s

I was looking at this set of graphs: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/index.html

and it seems like there was a bit of a spike just a little while ago which could have been testing.  Of course, it could be other things as well even testing by BFL (cough, cough) - and there is the DISTINCT possibility i am misinterpreting the graphs.
BFL won't be testing anything until February based on their timeline.
Activity: 388
Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!
Yup. Very good product!

I was looking at this set of graphs: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/index.html

and it seems like there was a bit of a spike just a little while ago which could have been testing.  Of course, it could be other things as well even testing by BFL (cough, cough) - and there is the DISTINCT possibility i am misinterpreting the graphs.
Activity: 462
Clown prophet
Yup. Very good product!

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
Excellent work team Avalon,

Congratulations because the way it looks you will be the first team to release an ASIC based mining product.

3 Days away and I want you to know we are all happy and excited for you!

Tom
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Bitsyncom, any sign of progress now?

Chips should be sliced by now and should have gone through functional testing...in fact, the assembled units should be nearing completion (I would expect at least 1 day on a testnet for each finished unit).

They may be keeping us in the dark for some reason.
Activity: 406
LTC
I am glad Avalon helping me to dance on Josh bones.

But I should warn all of you about Avalon itself.

No demo, no tests, no bitcoin hashrate increase so far. Only pics with unnamed chips. And 5 days to delivery.

Lets see, lets see...

Hey guys. 4 days left! The question is "4 days left for what?" Say somethething, show something?

From what I understand, you need to kiss them first.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I like google translate coz it allows me to easily understand most things written in most languages.
I only know a small amount of about half a dozen languages, so being able to translate anything at all with the click of a button is great IMO.

For someone as racist as you, that may not be ideal. You probably prefer your ignorance.

For me, it's easy to understand most languages, and for asian languages like Korean, Chinese and Japanese, where it's not as good as others, it gives enough information to usually understand a lot of it also.
Activity: 462
Clown prophet
I am glad Avalon helping me to dance on Josh bones.

But I should warn all of you about Avalon itself.

No demo, no tests, no bitcoin hashrate increase so far. Only pics with unnamed chips. And 5 days to delivery.

Lets see, lets see...

Hey guys. 4 days left! The question is "4 days left for what?" Say somethething, show something?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ
They say you really know a language well if you can get a girl who speaks that language to kiss you.

Did it work? Yeah, didn't think so...  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
^

Said the man that invested into the Chinese company.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Bitsyncom, any sign of progress now?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

I have a suggestion for future 'pre-order' funds management.

I really love this idea.
Presumably people would prove they own the address, and agree to the particular terms by signing those terms using a Bitcoin 'sign message' facility.

More generally - this seems like a form of 'layaway' (or lay-by as it's known here in Australia)

I'd like to see a little lay-by management tool for merchants & customers to view their agreement terms and balances.
..but how could we prevent someone using the same funds as part of deals with multiple merchants where the amounts happen to match?
(some people may just reserve way more resources than they are ever going to be able to pay - negatively affecting the utility of the system for merchants)
I like the simplicity of your proposal.. but some further script magic would seem to be required?

I guess I would say 'so what' if people did multiple pre-orders from the same addy?  For one, the address is public so if the merchant decided to give a shit he might be able to detect doubled-up pre-orders, but why should he care, for one, and more importantly...

The idea would be that the merchant only honors the queue position from the documented address.  If that gets spent it automatically drops out of the queue and the next guy in line gets his chance.

If merchants start using such a mechanism (which I doubt since pre-orders generally are a bit corner-case) it is unlikely that two merchants would have exactly the same notional value for a pre-ordered item, and if they did, they could avoid a collision...unless one of them wanted a collision for some reason I suppose...

---

An interesting artifact would be that being #500 in a queue of 300 ASIC chips (for instance) still gives one a decent chance of getting the item anyway.

An interesting fallout from the above in monetary science terms would be that a fair amount of money could be tied up in queues and not used in circulation.  Most mainstream economists would think this is not such a great thing.  I'm not so sure.  In any event, again, pre-orders are likely to be an unusual thing generally.

But as you allude to in your post, the general idea could probably be used for similar sorts of problems with a bit of scripting and perhaps a tool provided by someone for managing such a thing.

legendary
Activity: 966
Finally... how it is the Avalon hardware ? It is a complete PC with integrated ASIC? used Raspberry Pi? tablet?

The high level controller is to be a small Atheros MIPS board similar to a TL-WR703N running a linux based on OpenWRT.

Like a Raspberry Pi, but even smaller/cheaper/lower-powered, and with no video output.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n
legendary
Activity: 1022
Finally... how it is the Avalon hardware ? It is a complete PC with integrated ASIC? used Raspberry Pi? tablet?
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

I have a suggestion for future 'pre-order' funds management.

This suggestion only works of the vendor does not need to use the funds prior to shipping for operating expenses (and if they do, I would argue that pre-orders and are inappropriate source of funding anyway.)

I suggest that an entity who wishes to queue up in the delivery line simply transfers a particular value to an address that _they_ retain control of.  The address list would be public domain.  When their turn comes up in the queue, they can optionally take delivery.  If at some point prior to delivery they wish to de-queue, they just transfer the funds back out.

Any terms involving exchage rate adjustments (and the like) could be drawn up.  As long as it's clear that the vendor had an option to capitalize on favorable exchange rate moves up front, I'd be totally fine with that.  To clarify:

- if the BTC values go up, the original outlay is taken
 - if the BTC values go down, additional funds are needed to exercise delivery.

In vendor-favorable scheme like the above example, the customer may still choose to take delivery or not.  If not, the next guy in the queue gets the option.

Lots of permutations are possible.  It is the case that people with excess funds could queue up as a speculative move planning to potentially sell their spots (which is why I used a vendor-favorable example above.)  At the end of the day, though, who cares?  Accounting and management of funds should be trivial and mechanical.  Most importantly, it should leave the customer in control.  Bitcoin offers some pretty unique opportunities because of it's transparency and it would be cool to seem them leveraged by vendors in efforts to demonstrate good intentions.

I really love this idea.
Presumably people would prove they own the address, and agree to the particular terms by signing those terms using a Bitcoin 'sign message' facility.

More generally - this seems like a form of 'layaway' (or lay-by as it's known here in Australia)

I'd like to see a little lay-by management tool for merchants & customers to view their agreement terms and balances.
..but how could we prevent someone using the same funds as part of deals with multiple merchants where the amounts happen to match?
(some people may just reserve way more resources than they are ever going to be able to pay - negatively affecting the utility of the system for merchants)
I like the simplicity of your proposal.. but some further script magic would seem to be required?

legendary
Activity: 1112
A structured ASIC costs 300k €

this is exact the pre-orders amount.

€300k x 1.30 = $390k
and producing 300 units with a PCB, CPU, ethernet, case and power supply is free?
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
any sign from Avalon? if they will start to ship next monday they should start to assembly and test the units.

countdown: avalon-asics.com

Pages:
Jump to: