Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Butterfly Labs - page 22. (Read 64445 times)

legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
September 10, 2012, 06:33:56 PM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1075223

It was BFL who made the statement about the second plug.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
September 10, 2012, 06:25:44 PM
Who has deleted posts before?  Certainly not me.

I don't recall anyone stating that there would be a secondary power supply just for the coffee warmer; I'm not saying someone didn't say that, but I don't recall it and it's not true.  The coffee warming aspect is completely secondary to actually mining, so no it probably won't really keep your coffee all that warm.

There will be no secondary power source for the Jalapeno.  In retrospect, we probably shouldn't have associated it with a coffee warmer, but it is flat and you can set your coffee on it.  It gets warm. 

do you have spec's of this product or based on which information you can make such statements?

Yes.

for the record.

No.

I enjoy having you here Josh.  Wink
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 10, 2012, 06:25:29 PM
Do you really want to take that position, BFL_Josh, also AKA ?

Perhaps BFL_Josh has never altered history. But absolutely has in the context of BFL communications.
(Search for "memory hole" and folks can find one of my follow-ups where this happened.)

--

I remember what I've read. And I've read all the BFL related threads starting with the Fall 2011 BFL one's.

I recognize that you're new to BFL corporate membership, but there is a *lot* of history to overcome before BFL has a good reputation.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
September 10, 2012, 06:24:58 PM

No.

That was a rather amusing exchange...  Cheesy
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
September 10, 2012, 06:16:31 PM

I don't recall anyone stating that there would be a secondary power supply just for the coffee warmer; I'm not saying someone didn't say that, but I don't recall it and it's not true.  The coffee warming aspect is completely secondary to actually mining, so no it probably won't really keep your coffee all that warm.

There will be no secondary power source for the Jalapeno.  In retrospect, we probably shouldn't have associated it with a coffee warmer, but it is flat and you can set your coffee on it.  It gets warm. 

do you have spec's of this product or based on which information you can make such statements?

Yes.

for the record.

No.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
September 10, 2012, 06:14:27 PM

Yes.

for the record.
September 10, 2012, 06:12:15 PM

Yes.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
September 10, 2012, 06:09:23 PM

September 10, 2012, 06:07:03 PM

legendary
September 10, 2012, 06:01:38 PM
Fair enough LazyOtto, I'll take you at your word that some sort of announcement was made in the past and deleted/redacted.  Hopefully BFL_Josh will jump in and clear things up once and for all.
September 10, 2012, 05:52:17 PM
Nope, can't find it. However, I've observed the parties involved deleting posts before.

For hearsay evidence, in addition to my recollection, you can see:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1123674

-- edit --
And here's another example of BFL changing their story:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-quietly-changes-from-internal-to-external-power-supply-for-sc-108456

Bottom line, you don't know what you'll get, or when you'll get it, from BFL until you get it.
legendary
September 10, 2012, 05:41:58 PM
Josh (and others at BFL) have stated multiple times that the Jalepeno will be powered by USB.  I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug.  It might be multiple USB ports, but it will NOT have an external power source other than USB.
It will - for the coffee warmer - that has been stated ...
(gotta be the most stupid idea I've yet heard of in BTC mining hardware Tongue)

Go order a real ASIC device - not a coffee warmer toy ...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1177543

... again with more details and even support for developers to get real mining software running on it at release time!
(Yeah my name's there also)
Where was it stated that the Jalepeno would require a power plug?  Everything I have seen from BFL has said that it will not.

Also, an FPGA?  You're kidding, right?

With that said, the maximum wattage a USB port can provide is about 2.5 watts.  So there's your expected power draw maximum (or maybe 5 watts if you believe it will utilize 2 USB ports).
I've heard USB 3.0 provides additional power.  The following thread suggests 4.5w, but it's hardly authoritative.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2255324

Does anybody know for sure what kind of power USB 3.0 can provide?
They wouldn't go with USB 3.0.  That would alienate 95% (NOTE: statistic made up) of the population from using them.

"I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug."

Because BFL has stated it will.

But then again, they also stated "four to six weeks".
I must've missed this announcement.  Where did BFL state that it will have a power plug?  The most recent message about the Jalepeno was yesterday from Josh, and he said that it would be powered by USB.
September 10, 2012, 05:24:46 PM
"I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug."

Because BFL has stated it will.

But then again, they also stated "four to six weeks".
Activity: 348
September 10, 2012, 05:17:19 PM
With that said, the maximum wattage a USB port can provide is about 2.5 watts.  So there's your expected power draw maximum (or maybe 5 watts if you believe it will utilize 2 USB ports).
I've heard USB 3.0 provides additional power.  The following thread suggests 4.5w, but it's hardly authoritative.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2255324

Does anybody know for sure what kind of power USB 3.0 can provide?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
September 10, 2012, 05:15:45 PM
Josh (and others at BFL) have stated multiple times that the Jalepeno will be powered by USB.  I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug.  It might be multiple USB ports, but it will NOT have an external power source other than USB.
It will - for the coffee warmer - that has been stated ...
(gotta be the most stupid idea I've yet heard of in BTC mining hardware Tongue)

Go order a real ASIC device - not a coffee warmer toy ...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1177543

... again with more details and even support for developers to get real mining software running on it at release time!
(Yeah my name's there also)
legendary
September 10, 2012, 02:22:41 PM
I dont care how its made, who by, or what of.  I want to know how fast it will hash, what its power requirements will be and when I can expect to see it.  At present the answers I have are:

Jalepeno- hash at 3.5 GHash/s
Power- Unknown- USB but will have a plug??
Delivery date- Unkown- possibly early November- looking good?

Josh (and others at BFL) have stated multiple times that the Jalepeno will be powered by USB.  I don't know where people keep getting this idea of it having a power plug.  It might be multiple USB ports, but it will NOT have an external power source other than USB.

Delivery date begins late October, and Josh recently stated that he aims to have all of the current preorders shipped by Christmas.
Activity: 389
September 09, 2012, 08:34:21 PM
I dont care how its made, who by, or what of.  I want to know how fast it will hash, what its power requirements will be and when I can expect to see it.  At present the answers I have are:

BFL_Josh has definitely been putting some of this information in the official thread. My understanding is that it can hash using only USB power and should go out late October or November depending on how many they can ship when
Activity: 868
Merit: 500
September 09, 2012, 11:23:20 AM

Activity: 372
September 08, 2012, 06:26:53 PM
Ok, lets deconstruct this a minute.  BFL has stated that our chip is a custom ASIC, end of story.  That's what it is.  bASIC is a Cell Based ASIC, which is another name for a sASIC for all intents and purposes.  So we have a parity there; we've both stated what our chip is.

What's the difference between the your custom ASIC and sASIC?  I understand the answer may be proprietary, my understanding currently is, BFL ASIC is cheaper than bASIC from $/gH stand point.
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
September 05, 2012, 02:43:38 AM
Who ordered a single that got an email that said 9 - 10 weeks?  We just shipped orders from early August today, we are under 4 weeks at this point.  But regardless, the ASIC generation is going to be quite a bit different in terms of construction and parts, so it can't even be compared.  
Me.  I ordered early August (the 8th).  Based on what you said here, I guess I can expect my order to show up in a week or so.  That is very good news!  Here's that part of my order confirming email.

Thank you for your order and payment for the product listed below. Please note that Singles are shipping 9 to 10 weeks from the date of purchase.
Best Regards,
BF Labs

I am 100% OK with this.  Instead of promising 4 to 6 weeks then delivering 6 to 10 weeks later, they told me 9 to 10 weeks and it looks like they will deliver sooner - in (maybe) 4 to 6 weeks.  So: EARLY!  Smiley  I am excited.  (Really!)

Edit: If my new single does show up soon, I will be more of a believer that the SC's will start shipping by early November.  Disclaimer: As stated elsewhere on the forum, I have also ordered an SC upgrade.
Pages:
Jump to: