Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Butterfly Labs - page 24. (Read 64445 times)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500
bitcoin hodler
September 03, 2012, 02:48:12 PM
First and foremost, I'm going to get customer service on track and then get production optimized and producing units as fast as possible.  I will also be examining our supply chain and getting that beefed up so we can meet demand going forward. 

I have a question about sending the hardware abroad. I live in Czech republic and I'm wondering if the people who ordered the BFL ASIC in USA will get it earlier because you will send it all in one batch or do you also take into account that you are sending it abroad and it will take a lot longer to get to us then to people in USA.

Thank you
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
September 03, 2012, 11:24:51 AM
^^^  This is a really good thought.  Having replaceable chips would at least provide a modicum of protection against any unforeseen changes in the protocol later on.  Also, shipping would be so much simpler for BFL as well without having to produce another device, just send out the chips.
Activity: 988
September 03, 2012, 01:48:36 AM
BFL_Josh:

After reading https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1155021
Will the new BFL hardware have chip sockets if/and/or when they need to be upgraded, due to a change in the bitcoin algorithm ?

If not, what is the plan for those of us who have purchased the SC generation and are left with useless hardware?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 02, 2012, 04:12:26 PM
P2pool will solve a new p2pool block every 10 seconds
"a new p2pool block"

A significant modifier. Just so long as we acknowledge that this is not a bitcoin block. Which pays 50+ BTC. And happens about every 10 minutes.
legendary
Activity: 952
September 02, 2012, 04:07:22 PM
Well, it's not gonna find a block every 10 seconds. Smiley

But, yes, the BFL singles do not work well on p2pool.

Don't know about the mini-rigs as I'm too poor to contemplate having one of those.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool

P2Pool creates a new block chain in which the difficulty is adjusted so a new block is found every 10 seconds.

P2pool will solve a new p2pool block every 10 seconds, and send out a LP. Singles lose an average of ~2.5 seconds per LP.
September 02, 2012, 04:03:17 PM
Well, it's not gonna find a block every 10 seconds. Smiley

But, yes, the BFL singles do not work well on p2pool.

Don't know about the mini-rigs as I'm too poor to contemplate having one of those.
legendary
Activity: 952
September 02, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
Just use p2pool, pool problem solved
So far, there's little incentive to use BFL gear on p2pool.  That's why I haven't even taken a moment to look into the advantages I've heard about with p2pool.  I'll mine where I get the most out of my equipment.

It's my impression from this comment by kano, and the fact that p2pool is designed to find blocks (and thus receive a LP) every 10 seconds, that BFL equipment would be horrible for p2pool. You're talking about a 20-25% reject rate, guaranteed.
Activity: 348
September 02, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
So far, there's little incentive to use BFL gear on p2pool.  That's why I haven't even taken a moment to look into the advantages I've heard about with p2pool.  I'll mine where I get the most out of my equipment.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
September 02, 2012, 10:29:22 AM
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
September 01, 2012, 11:21:41 AM
All pools should create 2 servers with varied difficulty, one for FPGA/GPU miners and one for high powered ASIC miners.
And then just adjust share prices accordingly.

If the intent is to make FPGA/GPU and ASIC get = BTC maybe base it on per kWh * investment / GH/sec

Sounds great Smiley

However private pools are not that hard to set up..
Activity: 336
September 01, 2012, 09:26:27 AM
All pools should create 2 servers with varied difficulty, one for FPGA/GPU miners and one for high powered ASIC miners.
And then just adjust share prices accordingly.
Activity: 628
Merit: 504
September 01, 2012, 05:43:47 AM
Probably, but there are competitive issues that outweigh that at the moment.
For the sake of clarity. A pool operator working at the one place currently developing ASICs. And it would certainly be unfair to let his pool suddenly have a huge advantage by switching to ASICs first.
I think its not up to them which pool people choose to mine at. All they can do is to arrange the best place to mine at, so their customers choose to mine at EMC. Its sounds more like choosing between republicans and democrats - you're not really making any real choice there =), but it can come to that point. Nowdays, obvious manipulation works only in 3rd world countries, and coutries that think they're not 3rd world (ex. Russia, Belorussia) =)...but I'm getting off topic here, sorry...its always up to you to decide what I'm saying Grin
Activity: 389
September 01, 2012, 12:17:50 AM
For the sake of clarity. A pool operator working at the one place currently developing ASICs. And it would certainly be unfair to let his pool suddenly have a huge advantage by switching to ASICs first.
Well, there is no way of knowing.  BFL could simply open up there own pool as well (and/or probably has one (for testing rigs - heh)).

Same happens in real life anyway.  Are we to fault people that own two different companies that can work together?  If anything, I am jealous.
As much as anyone he was an industry expert, mining is what he was working on before he worked with BFL. He was also involved with the community so I expect that BFL were hoping to buy a little goodwill as well, or at least some insight. He also said he worked next door previously. So from everything I know it sounds like a great fit, and that it should be working well for all parties involved. I can't fault anyone for that.

I just felt like giving him a hard time  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1499
Merit: 1164
September 01, 2012, 12:14:41 AM

Well, there is no way of knowing.  BFL could simply open up there own pool as well (and/or probably has one (for testing rigs - heh)).

Same happens in real life anyway.  Are we to fault people that own two different companies that can work together?  If anything, I am jealous.
Activity: 389
August 31, 2012, 11:56:23 PM
August 31, 2012, 10:13:27 PM
(a sound of satisfaction)

The Memory Hole is such a useful device.  Wink
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
August 31, 2012, 10:09:52 PM
legendary
Activity: 1876
August 31, 2012, 09:07:15 PM
No. But you have stated that you will keep the personas discrete.

If not, there is no longer a difference between BFL and EclipseMC in your statements.

I would have to agree with this.

When i see 'anaba' i think miner, pool operator, eclipsmc

when i see bfl_josh i think  bfl employee
August 31, 2012, 09:03:54 PM
No. But you have stated that you will keep the personas discrete.

If not, there is no longer a difference between BFL and EclipseMC in your statements.
legendary
Activity: 1499
Merit: 1164
August 31, 2012, 08:17:30 PM
You need to watch which account you're posting with.

Why?  We all know it is the same person.  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: