Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcing GekkoScience's new USB stick miner, the aptly-named NewPac - page 3. (Read 27870 times)

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
The usb2 type B connector is different from what ive seen and doesnt fit the port on the hub. I ordered the usb2 version for the couple of bucks it costs.

Edit:-

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-USB-Type-A-and-USB-Type-C

Check that link out the connectors are distinctly different. (Ignore the title, look at the images).
Activity: 71
Merit: 11
That cable is the USB 3.0 type. You need the same A to B but a USB 2.0 type.

Is USB 2.0 absolutely necessary? If i were to use a usb 3.0 usb-a to usb-b connecter would it not just throttle down to usb 2.0 speeds? I thought Usb 3.0 was backwards compatible.
What type of usb cable is needed to connect the gekko hub to a pc usb port? Mine just arrived and there is no usb cable included.

Can a usb-a to usb-b cable be used to connect the gekko hub to a pc usb port? Something like this: https://www.4cabling.com.au/3m-usb-3-0-am-bm-cable.html.

That cable is the USB 3.0 type. You need the same A to B but a USB 2.0 type.
What type of usb cable is needed to connect the gekko hub to a pc usb port? Mine just arrived and there is no usb cable included.

Can a usb-a to usb-b cable be used to connect the gekko hub to a pc usb port? Something like this: https://www.4cabling.com.au/3m-usb-3-0-am-bm-cable.html.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
... Is it true that philipma1957 mines using solar power?  I read that in another thread and my attention pricked up immediately.  I have not seen any threads around devoted to utilizing solar power to mine bitcoin or anything else, but then again I just recently started browsing the mining section.

Yes me and buysolar have two locations.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
In the support thread or here I talk about the heat sink being too hot to touch without cooling. I'd always use a fan or downclock if not.
So was that with the gekko version of cgminer or the standard version?

It was with the Gekkoscience build of cgminer.
So was that with the gekko version of cgminer or the standard version?
Just received 2 of these in the mail today. After mining with them for a couple of hours I thought to post my experience here to help out people who are trying to decide to buy this or not.

The pros:

- cgminer picks up and runs the miner with no problems (I have had miners in the past that have caused me lots of trouble in this area)
- Overclocking actually works (I had mine overclocked to 150 MHz for a stable 34Ghs/second)
- Active support thread on bitcoin talk if you need asistance

The cons:

- Passive cooling is terrible (Ran mine off passive cooling for about 10 minutes and the miner began to fail due to heat stress, Active cooling even at base 100mhz is a MUST!)

cgminer screenshot:

https://imgur.com/VOrfYkp
Activity: 1190
Merit: 306
The idea being that the miners use minimal power in for the output, yes in Gh, there by creating a VERY efficient mining tool that allows for not only people looking for creative power efficient ideas, but schools and teaches a cost effective way to teach how blockchain/mining works.

Would give you merit for your post too if I had it.  This idea of stick mining has been bumping around in my head for a while now but I have yet to take the plunge and actually buy any hardware.  Learning about mining is a reward in and of itself, but my concern is that it won't be worth it financially.

But that setup in the op (looks like 36 sticks, did not count) is a thing of beauty.  

Is it true that philipma1957 mines using solar power?  I read that in another thread and my attention pricked up immediately.  I have not seen any threads around devoted to utilizing solar power to mine bitcoin or anything else, but then again I just recently started browsing the mining section.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
6 NewPacs is 12 ASICs, like the R606. However the pod doesn't require a high-powered USB hub, or an external fan, or a screwdriver and meter for voltage adjustment, and the main regulator is rated for higher current which means the potential for more speed.
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
So 6 of these NewPac is the same as your R606?
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
We are not retail.
Yea, Terminus R606.

A few sellers out there for First batch North American Pre Orders.

Our listings are www.minefarmbuy.com/product-category/gekko-science
legendary
Activity: 1793
Merit: 1028
IS A NEW POD MINER IN STORE? --

I saw a post about an "Optimus606".  It was on the top of this hardware thread for a brief time.  The post described a pod miner similar to the Terminus808, but using the newer 1387 chips as in the current NewPac stick miner.

Is it to be available in the near future?       --scryptr
We are not retail.
Awesome, thanks buying and working with us.  Cheesy
Activity: 93
Some numbers

Second GekkoScience hub & 6 Newpacs arrived yesterday (Thanks MFB)

2 Gekko hubs & 12 Newpacs setup to run at 200Mhz

ASICBoost on is 67W at the wall

ASICBoost off is 73W at the wall

Hash rate is 543Gh/s's at CK's pools

Cooling with plug-in Arctic Breeze Mobile fans, 2 per hub

Raspberry Pi3+ with VH's latest code

Gotta love in-home, quiet mining.....

Cheesy

copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
What is the point in mining using Gh?  Huh Huh Huh

The idea being that the miners use minimal power in for the output, yes in Gh, there by creating a VERY efficient mining tool that allows for not only people looking for creative power efficient ideas, but schools and teaches a cost effective way to teach how blockchain/mining works.
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
Because some people only have one or the other, and supporting both only added like twenty cents to the cost so why not.

Thumps up
Activity: 279
Merit: 107
What is the point in mining using Gh?  Huh Huh Huh
Pages:
Jump to: