Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcing GekkoScience's new USB stick miner, the aptly-named NewPac - page 7. (Read 27870 times)

Activity: 23
Merit: 29
Activity: 97
Merit: 5
While were at it, ours is 'BLACKFRIDAY2018' for 10% off entire store order as well.

Black Friday sale today @ ASICPUPPY.COM. Use Promo Code: "BLACKFRIDAY" for 15% off your order.

I've got Newpac units in stock!

NewPacs orders placed, thank you for the heads-up on the discounts.

Grabbed a new Plugable as well just in case your Siploar testing results sway me.
copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
the heat sink is
1" wide (same as the PCB),
1 9/16" long
1/2" tall
there is a slight gap between the heatsink and the PCB (thickness of chips) about 1/32" of an inch.

the PCB (without the USB port)
1" wide
3 1/8" long
1/16" tall

the USB port is
5/8" long
and usb port sized for length and width Smiley
Activity: 23
Merit: 29
Hey, can I get the measurements of the Newpac?

I know it is exactly 1 inch across, but I cant remember how long the PCB is and how long the heatsink is.

I'd measure it myself, but it will be a few days before I'm at home and can do so.
copper member
While were at it, ours is 'BLACKFRIDAY2018' for 10% off entire store order as well.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
I find driving the air downward helps cool the sticks and the hub I use since most of them have metal cases. I imagine I'm stressing my shitty hub but the cooler the better eh.

We're not having a sale, but if your grouping up or buying 10 or more you'll be happy with pricing. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007
Black Friday sale today @ ASICPUPPY.COM. Use Promo Code: "BLACKFRIDAY" for 15% off your order.

This post is addressed at a few previous ones

[...]

Thank you for the feedback, I ended up hooking up the plugable into a small GPU rig. Between that move and the recent VH update I am seeing far fewer instances of "missing nonces" and "reset".

NewPacs orders placed, thank you for the heads-up on the discounts.

Grabbed a new Plugable as well just in case your Siploar testing results sway me.

Admittedly the lightweight fan was barely enough cooling for those six sticks; it only worked as well as it did because my shop's ambient temperature is like 60 degrees right now. Really should have had more for long-term safety.

That's a good rule of thumb. When we had a temp sensor on some early test sticks, VH noted issues starting when the [cooler than the chips and heatsink] PCB reached about 120F.

While my ambient temp in my home office is closer to 72F, I have all the excess heat blowing out through the vent cap of the roof.

That was one of the reasons I was looking to build a push/pull tube using the Sipolar to keep them as cool as possible given my environment.

I know it is an expensive idea, but I wondered if or how these would perform in an immersion tank.
copper member
This post is addressed at a few previous ones

do i need to simply disable it or some other remedy?

Unfortunately, there is not alot of options for the Intel USB 3 bug. You can try running the sticks on the USB 2.0 side but that doesnt always work. the USB2 would usually be the ports with the black inner piece apposed to the blue inner piece (USB3). most case front ones are, they have the smaller connector on the motherboard.

I ended up having to use a different PC completely. (admittedly, the first was a laptop and all the ports tied back to the USB3 controller.)

With these sticks, a little bit of cooling goes a long long way. Note that the uncooled 100MHz power draw and the slightly-cooled 200MHz power draw are pretty much the same. My six 650MHz sticks (drawing 14W each) were collectively cooled by a single 12V/200mA fan.

Also note that these guys can be sensitive to extended overheating. Bake the chips too much and they may never work right again.

if your running a single stick, it will run at 100 Mhz passively cooled, we test all our sticks this way because most people that buy from us, buy single sticks and dont understand or care to read. They just plug it in and throw out the instructions.
If you increase quantity or speed, they HAVE to be actively cooled and a handful of "sensitive" sticks require active cooling even at 100Mhz.

Sipolar is in NY customs hoping to have it early next week then I will be purchasing more of these to fill it up.

Thinking about modifying an extra L3 chassis(if the Siploar will fit inside) to make a wind tunnel-ish type setup. Thoughts or suggestions?

While I like the SiPolar 10port, I prefer the Plugable 7 port (and not just beaause we sell them). It's half the cost and will run 4 sticks and USB fans reliably at most speeds. (same one SideHack used in the first post pictures)
I'll be doing some testing this weekend of the SiPolar to see how many and at what speed it can reliably run before we start to see degradation.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Admittedly the lightweight fan was barely enough cooling for those six sticks; it only worked as well as it did because my shop's ambient temperature is like 60 degrees right now. Really should have had more for long-term safety.

That's a good rule of thumb. When we had a temp sensor on some early test sticks, VH noted issues starting when the [cooler than the chips and heatsink] PCB reached about 120F.
We are not retail.
I guess a rule of thumb, maybe pun intended, is if I can't hold heat sink for five seconds it needs down clocks or cooling. The six two packs I have now just have a simple case fan cooling them. Look forward to adding these in.
With these sticks, a little bit of cooling goes a long long way. Note that the uncooled 100MHz power draw and the slightly-cooled 200MHz power draw are pretty much the same. My six 650MHz sticks (drawing 14W each) were collectively cooled by a single 12V/200mA fan.

Also, note that these guys can be sensitive to extended overheating. Bake the chips too much and they may never work right again.

I had 2 NewPacs in a plugable with 2 12v fans (powered separately) in a push/pull set up. The highest I had them at was 200MHz where they were showing the same instances. Have stepped down from there having never touched the volt adjustment from stock.

Sipolar is in NY customs hoping to have it early next week then I will be purchasing more of these to fill it up.

Thinking about modifying an extra L3 chassis(if the Siploar will fit inside) to make a wind tunnel-ish type setup. Thoughts or suggestions?
legendary

Also note that these guys can be sensitive to extended overheating. Bake the chips too much and they may never work right again.
We are not retail.
Still seeing "missing nonces" and "reset" even after trying at 100MHz and one at a time in the plugable. Do I need to turn the dial clock or counter-clock to dial in wattage for stability?

I've found that I have to run at 75 otherwise the unit get's to hot and like in the support thread says it will throw an error to protect your hardware. This is passive cooled, so no fan being used.
While this may not be your issue, I found it the hard way. You may want to check to see if your USB controller is and "Intel USB 3.0 eXensible Host Controller". It was a problem with the 2PAC's and the NewPac looks to be experiencing the same issue.

thank you, checking it now

do i need to simply disable it or some other remedy?
copper member
While this may not be your issue, I found it the hard way. You may want to check to see if your USB controller is and "Intel USB 3.0 eXensible Host Controller". It was a problem with the 2PAC's and the NewPac looks to be experiencing the same issue.
Still seeing "missing nonces" and "reset" even after trying at 100MHz and one at a time in the plugable. Do I need to turn the dial clock or counter-clock to dial in wattage for stability?
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
I expect the efficiency to be better. The worst-case efficiency with the chips I'd be using is on par with the best-case (meaning, bottom voltage and AB enabled) for the NewPac's BM1387. Couple that with only one regulation step (12V->5V instead of 12V->5V->0.83V) at a higher efficiency (upwards of 95%) and it should be markedly better.

yeah I got a meter on the stick at the plug 1.1 to 1.3 amps at 5.1 volts  that would be 5.61 to 6.63 watts at the usb plug.

at the kwatt meter 24.2/3 = 8.0667 watts so  82 % efficient at the high number 70% at the low since it fluxes  say 76% eff.  from wall to usb plug.

if it were 95% or even 90 %  these sticks would be at 21 watts not 24 watts   maybe 20 watts at the kill-a-watt

since they could do 57-60 gh at freq 250

I could do 180gh at 20 watts
Not 180gh at 24-25 watts

3 sticks
legendary
I expect the efficiency to be better. The worst-case efficiency with the chips I'd be using is on par with the best-case (meaning, bottom voltage and AB enabled) for the NewPac's BM1387. Couple that with only one regulation step (12V->5V instead of 12V->5V->0.83V) at a higher efficiency (upwards of 95%) and it should be markedly better.
Activity: 94
Work which will be used toward a pod miner were included in items 1-3, 6, 10, 12 and 14.

If you can make a pod miner with the efficiency of the newpac's,  I'm interested in it even if bitcoin does go back 1.5k.
Pages:
Jump to: