Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcing GekkoScience's new USB stick miner, the aptly-named NewPac - page 4. (Read 27870 times)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
I having downward and side moment on these anyway. Open air hub and all, not that cooling matters too much there comparatively.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Because some people only have one or the other, and supporting both only added like twenty cents to the cost so why not.
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
our web store still keeps the break out boards and HP1200 power supplies in stock if needed.
https://www.419mining.com/product-category/power-supply/

@419mining, Thank you, but you don't ship outside of US. Only from eBay and I don't see the breakout board on ebay. I have HP800 power supply.
 Smiley

I don't know. Maybe I'm just trying to find out why there's an option to add a fan on the 12V if you can use a USB fan.
legendary
Why would you need both a 12V fan and a USB fan?
copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
My power source would be your breakout board for a HP-DPS800, if I can find it. So it can't run a PI controller and a 12v fan and USB fan?

our web store still keeps the break out boards and HP1200 power supplies in stock if needed.
https://www.419mining.com/product-category/power-supply/
They're both pretty much the same. Both would allow you to run six NewPacs at ridiculous speeds, but the 8-port would allow you to also run a Pi controller or USB-powered fan at the same time.
Assuming you had enough 12V coming in for all of that.

My power source would be your breakout board for a HP-DPS800, if I can find it. So it can't run a PI controller and a 12v fan and USB fan?
legendary
They're both pretty much the same. Both would allow you to run six NewPacs at ridiculous speeds, but the 8-port would allow you to also run a Pi controller or USB-powered fan at the same time.
Assuming you had enough 12V coming in for all of that.
yup vh did an amazing job with the driver, the newpac runs very stable even when running more than 10 at the same time
Gekkoscience's new 8 port/7 port usb hubs are another level quality and build too IMHO...

Are you saying that the 7-port is not the best choice?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Found an whitepaper about asic boost https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1604/1604.00575.pdf
and website of the inventor of asicboost
https://www.asicboost.com/
Just to keep the Record straight:
The company asicboost.com is NOT the 'inventor' of AB. They are a holding company that bought the AB Patent from Dr. Timo Hanke. The company was created to leverage the AB patent as a way to get IP rights from miner manufacturers by using what they call a "Blockchain Defensive Patent License". Thankfully so far they have failed miserably at that. btw: Their only listed Contact is through a Law office in Chicago.

Even Dr. Hanke is not the inventor of ASICboost: Many if not most parts of the AB logic processes and code were created by other developers (Kano is one of them) as speed optimizations originally aimed at CPU then later, GPU based BTC mining and discussed here in the Forum at least a year or more before Dr. Hanke applied for his Patent or published his paper. Kano has made mention of contributing such CPU/GPU code mods back in 2013 (edit: Citations needed). Dr. Hanke was only the first to publicly put it all together targeting it for use in ASIC-based SHA256 processing chips, have the concept (now being hardware-based) published in Academia as a whitepaper, and managed to get his version of AB Patented as such.

edit: Interesting -- I take it the original AB Patent has been revoked or at least suspended while being contested. Checking the AB site they now state that it is Patent Pending whereas previously when they and Halong Mining appeared on the scene back in November 2017 they unequivocally called it Patented. Even more interesting is that when you click on the link for their Blockchain Defensive Patent License, FireFox blocks it stating the site is improperly configured -- given the folks who are suspected to be behind that onerous, IP-grabbing patent license, their site attempting to do something shady does not surprise me in the least.
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
Just received my three NewPac's and the new Gekkoscience Hub

Arctic cooling USB fan added to the hub

All I can say is "WOW"

All put together along with the updated software from vh, painless as always

Running at stock speed and fast

Perfect combination of hardware Cheesy

yup vh did an amazing job with the driver, the newpac runs very stable even when running more than 10 at the same time
Gekkoscience's new 8 port/7 port usb hubs are another level quality and build too IMHO

Activity: 88
Merit: 85
Okay great, but that doesn't have much to do with the specifics of driver implementation.

Asic boost is an option that has to be supported by the pool. The one i am mining on is not supporting it, clear to me now.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
No offence to Bitcoin's, but I only know one whitepaper with a use case in my house.

Also, I haven't tried current software but never was able to get asic boost to work with winX builds. Still you're not losing as much with a stick miner compared to industrial asics. Hopefully I get more time to troubleshoot again.
legendary
Okay great, but that doesn't have much to do with the specifics of driver implementation.
I think there's a known issue with enabling AB on a non-AB pool. It changes something at the protocol level so it won't even connect properly. Not sure if that's exactly what you're seeing but it could be. Check to make sure your pool supports ASICBoost.

Found an whitepaper about asic boost https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1604/1604.00575.pdf
and website of the inventor of asicboost
https://www.asicboost.com/

Edit: seems the people behind this info are doing it with other people ideas.
legendary
I think there's a known issue with enabling AB on a non-AB pool. It changes something at the protocol level so it won't even connect properly. Not sure if that's exactly what you're seeing but it could be. Check to make sure your pool supports ASICBoost.
Won't start, or won't connect to your pool of choice?

won't start, screen stays black.
When i remove the newpac boost option, its all fine again.
Tried putting it @ end of line, @ beginning, @ middel, no effect at all

Could it b the pool i am mining @? Does the pool need to support the boost option?
legendary
Won't start, or won't connect to your pool of choice?
Running mine with GS hub on 600 and 550 of course with cooling. Hardly any Hw errors stable for weeks already with 135 GHs and 125 GHs
Indeed great hardware combination.
The stick @ 550 wasn't able to go that far @ first, 400 was max. Did turn potentiometer about 20 degrees (did turn in little steps), now stable @ 550 and not overheating at all.

Only things i did not figure out yet, was the boost option. CGminer (v4.11.1) won't start when i am using that option.
Activity: 93
Merit: 11
Just received my three NewPac's and the new Gekkoscience Hub

Arctic cooling USB fan added to the hub

All I can say is "WOW"

All put together along with the updated software from vh, painless as always

Running at stock speed and fast

Perfect combination of hardware Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: