Author

Topic: [ANN][SHIFT] The New Web | IPFS/Phantom | ShiftNrg.org Hosted Decentralized! - page 125. (Read 547569 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
We were going to leave this coin alone but the Shift Team has some Cowboys, so we have decided to just fuck the coin up.  If you are mining Shift it is very likely you are mining nothing but orphans from here on out.

Looks like we pushed the right buttons then Smiley

Maybe we're gonna go ahead and push some more, just to see how much you are willing to risk. I think your
farm is worth more than our whole blockchain so you're currently on the losing side of this.

Exchanges are aware of the situation and won't be activated until there is a permanent solution, so feel free
to put your mining efforts into cold storage?

Not sure what buttons you pushed but ok.  It won't take a farm it will only take about 3 GPU's to attack your chain in the next day or two.  Hashrate is dropping quickly.   Roll Eyes

That's ok, if you're in our slack you probably noticed already but here's what i just posted:

hey everyone, looks like we are under threat again, if you are currently mining there's a possibility
your efforts are worthless at this moment so you have our full understanding should you decide to
switch your miners. this is no time for noble actions because we wouldn't want any of you to suffer
from what we are currently experiencing due to the actions of a few bullies

So yeah, not sure what you're trying to accomplish, you have your ways, we have ours. You're not
hurting us much, so feel free to waste your electricity Smiley

PERFECT
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
We were going to leave this coin alone but the Shift Team has some Cowboys, so we have decided to just fuck the coin up.  If you are mining Shift it is very likely you are mining nothing but orphans from here on out.

Maybe we're gonna go ahead and push some more, just to see how much you are willing to risk. I think your
farm is worth more than our whole blockchain so you're currently on the losing side of this.

Exchanges are aware of the situation and won't be activated until there is a permanent solution, so feel free

Not sure what buttons you pushed but ok.  It won't take a farm it will only take about 3 GPU's to attack your chain in the next day or two.  Hashrate is dropping quickly.   Roll Eyes

That's ok, if you're in our slack you probably noticed already but here's what i just posted:

hey everyone, looks like we are under threat again, if you are currently mining there's a possibility
your efforts are worthless at this moment so you have our full understanding should you decide to
switch your miners. this is no time for noble actions because we wouldn't want any of you to suffer
from what we are currently experiencing due to the actions of a few bullies

So yeah, not sure what you're trying to accomplish, you have your ways, we have ours. You're not
hurting us much, so feel free to waste your electricity Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004
Don't want to dismiss this too soon but how is it different from Decred (DCR)?
It seems to copy its features (Pos/Pow hybrid, self-funding....)?
As long as the block retarget will stay as slow as it is, those attacks will be unavoidable.

This happened a few years ago with other coins as well.. on X11 for example.. Thats why KGW / DGW etc. was invented.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!

IMO, in order the end user to understand what's Shift, the website should explain in simple terms what's the purpose of this project, its benefits, and its usage. Words like "Phantom", "Gshift", and "bunders" make no sense.

Hi X1235,

thanks for the input, we have received this feedback quite a lot before. The ANN and homepage redesign to
provide better information are just a few steps away from finished, but have been forced to deal with the
fallout of what we experienced over the last weeks.

We see the need for simplified communication to better reach the general public, however we are in a very
early alpha stage and are currently only viewing more experienced users as our target group.

Once things get back to normal we will increase our effort to provide simple to understand information!

Activity: 671
Merit: 505
IMO, in order the end user to understand what's Shift, the website should explain in simple terms what's the purpose of this project, its benefits, and its usage. Words like "Phantom", "Gshift", and "bunders" make no sense.
Activity: 939
Merit: 261
Data HDD Repair - Recovery of lost information
As long as the block retarget will stay as slow as it is, those attacks will be unavoidable.

This happened a few years ago with other coins as well.. on X11 for example.. Thats why KGW / DGW etc. was invented.

True!!...

Before Hash Rate: 5 GH/sec

BLOCK TIME - 180 Seconds
BLOCK REWARD - 10 Shift
Activity: 32
shift.4miners.net

As a result of recent issues we temporarly suspended payments from pool until we get green light from the SHIFT developers. They working hard to pick the best way possible for the curency. All miners will be credited according to their work regardless wich way devs will choose, so keep calm and happy mining. Cheesy

I also would like to thank the developers for the amazing game - http://game.shiftnrg.org, it was really enjoyable. It took me more than six hours to beat that. Cheesy Funds that I won will be used as reserve for the pool, current development and possible future rewards for miners. There will not be a dump. Wink
Code:
Wallet address: 0x9d8d6ad0ed794ae8b7d2f06aeb03331d751583c8
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1240

Attack was possible because of very low network hashrate.
SHF is extreamly undervalued when compared to its potential, active team and what have been delivered already
Thanks to the viral game SHF was spotted by many new investors.
Everyone knows that higher price attracts miners because mining becomes more lucrative - so it is normal that hashrate is also rising naturally.
As hasrate is rising conducting successful attack becomes more expensive.

Shortly: It was the last moment to conduct such attack cheaply, so he did it... and i'm pretty sure he won't hesitate to do it again and again and again... And it is obvious that the price will collapse after bittrex enable trading again (if they do not decide to delist SHF completely if losses are unrecoverable).

Losses will be recoverable. As stated before we will keep markets and wallets deactivated as long as
needed for each but these are teething problems, they stand in no relation to the potential gain our
project can bring as a whole.

Welcome to crypto…

We're not exactly struck with luck so we'll bite through it and move on. The world has seen worse Wink

Activity: 160
Merit: 100
Attack was possible because of very low network hashrate.
SHF is extreamly undervalued when compared to its potential, active team and what have been delivered already
Thanks to the viral game SHF was spotted by many new investors.
Everyone knows that higher price attracts miners because mining becomes more lucrative - so it is normal that hashrate is also rising naturally.
As hasrate is rising conducting successful attack becomes more expensive.

Shortly: It was the last moment to conduct such attack cheaply, so he did it... and i'm pretty sure he won't hesitate to do it again and again and again... And it is obvious that the price will collapse after bittrex enable trading again (if they do not decide to delist SHF completely if losses are unrecoverable).
Activity: 994
Merit: 513
How if someone bigger is paying the hacker to attack shift. The only reason I can think of is we became a threat to them. Amazing team and great innovation. Shift team, keep it up. S#!t like this will only make us stronger.

The reason is this:

(snip)

Correct, we have received an extortion attempt for 20 BTC prior to it. Since we don't have that kind of funding he decided to attack the network..

(snip)

Welcome to crypto…
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
How if someone bigger is paying the hacker to attack shift. The only reason I can think of is we became a threat to them. Amazing team and great innovation. Shift team, keep it up. S#!t like this will only make us stronger.
Activity: 1568
Merit: 502
Just played game on http://game.shiftnrg.org/ its amazing.
Really tech games feel.

Well will like to go for bounty by contributing in translation, social media, post etc.

I am from India and I checked that there is still no announcement in local thread about SHIFT.

If still bounties are not reserved Kindly reserve for me for Indian translation.
Hopefully the attacker gives up. Anything the rest of us can do to help? I have a measly 90 MH/s  Grin
Keep up the good work!

We are researching a few different solutions from rolling back the chain to swapping the codebase for something more secure.

For the most part there's nothing you can do right now except wait and relax, no balances have been harmed and your coins are safe no matter where they are!

Activity: 50
Hopefully the attacker gives up. Anything the rest of us can do to help? I have a measly 90 MH/s  Grin
Keep up the good work!
Jump to: