Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth! - page 65. (Read 94854 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 47

No, what I mean by weakness is something along the lines of a way its privacy features could theoretically be uncovered more easily than another coin out there, kind of like its Kryptonite, or maybe even something like the circulating supply being an issue in the future if it is infinite and increasing so much and will hold the coin back from greater value increases?

I'll definitely check out those links, thanks for the help, I see its on Cryptopia, is that the best place to buy or trade it? Its definitely not my first exchange place but they seem to have the most volume.

There are of course always some points of attack, theoretically speaking. But XSPEC is at least as good as others, I would even claim "better" than all, in some ways. Assuming that the cryptography is sound (which in the case of XSPEC it is) most exploitable vulnerabilities would be in the transport mechanism. To reduce this vulnerability, XSPEC is built on TOR. But as previously stated, coins which just use TOR for transportation but have to exit the network at the end-points are vulnerable at the exit nodes. XSPEC is fully integrated into TOR, thus never leaves the network. Furthermore, with OBSF4 any adversary would find it impossible to recognize the internet package as being TOR, thus would not be able to sniff the package out or block it.

That said, of course we are talking here about technical vulnerabilities ... exploits through social engineering, well, that of course always remains.

With the release of the new version 1.3.4 by then 8th / 9th of Jan, there will be another push to get XSPEC listed on other exchanges. Until now, the volume was not sufficient to try to spread. And out of principle, there is little appetite to pay horrendous sums just to get listed. Btw, Bisq will also be an option and truer to the privacy concept. XSPEC is listed there, but no volume yet.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Its all looking promising so far, but what is the coin's weakness? No FUD or bashing, every coin has a weakness or an area where other coins are better than it, what are the things about XSPEC that an investor needs to take into account? I read somewhere that PoS isn't as good as PoW and can leave a privacy coin open to being hacked or exposed, something about the nodes or PoS means every user needs to choose stealth transactions for it to truly work, I think DASH and PIVX had those problems? Is the supply going to be unlimited or capped? What are those 2 new updates bringing? Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread but happy to be pointed in the right direction to these answers as I'm a big believer in privacy coins and this one seems to be the best so far so I need to be sure of a few things before investing.

Technically, I don't think it has "weaknesses", if by "weakness" you refer to an unplanned vulnerability or bug. Most features are a choice. TOR integration for instance, is a choice. Other coins do it differently. Same with ring signatures. The PoS approach is another choice factor.

As for PoS vs. PoW and hacking, both can be hacked if they are implemented wrongly. And both can be very secure if done correctly. I believe in the future of PoS as it is energy efficient and quantum-resistent. Furthermore, PoW leads to centralization by major mining factories. PoS is truly distributed. You could run a PoS wallet on a mobile phone or a Rasberry Pi if you wanted to.

As far as stealth transactions are concerned: firstly, XSPEC of course supports that. At present, users have to select stealth transactions. In version 2.0, stealth transactions will be the default. Secondly, the XSPEC devs have a working model of stealth staking, a unique feature nowhere available at present. This will also be available in an upcoming version of XSPEC. At the moment PoS uses transparent transactions.

The supply increase is 5% a year and is the "dividend" you get from staking. The 5% is set for the system as a whole. Staking dividends for individuals are more in the 10% range, as some coins are held in non-staking exchange wallets, or are held in offline wallets.

For the roadmap, I suggest you check out https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/

I also encourage you to join the Slack channel at https://spectreproject.slack.com. The devs hang out there as well, and are very responsive.

No, what I mean by weakness is something along the lines of a way its privacy features could theoretically be uncovered more easily than another coin out there, kind of like its Kryptonite, or maybe even something like the circulating supply being an issue in the future if it is infinite and increasing so much and will hold the coin back from greater value increases?

I'll definitely check out those links, thanks for the help, I see its on Cryptopia, is that the best place to buy or trade it? Its definitely not my first exchange place but they seem to have the most volume.
Activity: 252
Merit: 47
Its all looking promising so far, but what is the coin's weakness? No FUD or bashing, every coin has a weakness or an area where other coins are better than it, what are the things about XSPEC that an investor needs to take into account? I read somewhere that PoS isn't as good as PoW and can leave a privacy coin open to being hacked or exposed, something about the nodes or PoS means every user needs to choose stealth transactions for it to truly work, I think DASH and PIVX had those problems? Is the supply going to be unlimited or capped? What are those 2 new updates bringing? Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread but happy to be pointed in the right direction to these answers as I'm a big believer in privacy coins and this one seems to be the best so far so I need to be sure of a few things before investing.

Technically, I don't think it has "weaknesses", if by "weakness" you refer to an unplanned vulnerability or bug. Most features are a choice. TOR integration for instance, is a choice. Other coins do it differently. Same with ring signatures. The PoS approach is another choice factor.

As for PoS vs. PoW and hacking, both can be hacked if they are implemented wrongly. And both can be very secure if done correctly. I believe in the future of PoS as it is energy efficient and quantum-resistent. Furthermore, PoW leads to centralization by major mining factories. PoS is truly distributed. You could run a PoS wallet on a mobile phone or a Rasberry Pi if you wanted to.

As far as stealth transactions are concerned: firstly, XSPEC of course supports that. At present, users have to select stealth transactions. In version 2.0, stealth transactions will be the default. Secondly, the XSPEC devs have a working model of stealth staking, a unique feature nowhere available at present. This will also be available in an upcoming version of XSPEC. At the moment PoS uses transparent transactions.

The supply increase is 5% a year and is the "dividend" you get from staking. The 5% is set for the system as a whole. Staking dividends for individuals are more in the 10% range, as some coins are held in non-staking exchange wallets, or are held in offline wallets.

For the roadmap, I suggest you check out https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/

I also encourage you to join the Slack channel at https://spectreproject.slack.com. The devs hang out there as well, and are very responsive.
Activity: 10
Yea xspec have a huge potencial, join slack, you can ask developers about everything.
Activity: 45
Anyone have issues with wallet sync?  Have the latest wallet from site and it has 0 connections.  I’ve let it sit for hours and still no connections.  Anyone have this problem? Tried using search function in thread but it’s useless.

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue, it should be fixed in an update soon. Here is the fix:

https://github.com/bitcoinx2/spectre/wiki/FAQ#7-i-have-zero-connections

Thanks much!
Activity: 148
Merit: 10
sold all my KOM and ARK to buy the dip (just before cryptopia went offline for maintenance.

There is huge potential here, severely underpriced compared to the rest of the market
 Keep finges crossed.

Yeah hoping Xspec is trading blows with Monero at some point Smiley
Activity: 3
Anyone have issues with wallet sync?  Have the latest wallet from site and it has 0 connections.  I’ve let it sit for hours and still no connections.  Anyone have this problem? Tried using search function in thread but it’s useless.

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue, it should be fixed in an update soon. Here is the fix:

https://github.com/bitcoinx2/spectre/wiki/FAQ#7-i-have-zero-connections
Activity: 45

Thanks in advance
Activity: 23
sold all my KOM and ARK to buy the dip (just before cryptopia went offline for maintenance.

There is huge potential here, severely underpriced compared to the rest of the market
 Keep finges crossed.
Who needs anonymity - those will buy on BISQ.
Who needs investments - those will buy on top10 exchanges, where increased demand will raise the price and thereby invest the project. If, of course, the project needs investments.
If any Bitrex on its own initiative adds XSPEC to the listing, XSPEC itself will not become less anonymous from this.

Huh?
Activity: 5
Is anyone else have trouble finding peers? I've been running the wallet for over an hour still have 0 connections...
Can someone send me a peers list or link to one please?
Activity: 20
Guys help me out here.

I sent some XSPEC today from cryptopia, I sent just  1 xspec to be sure it worked fine and it didn't work. I have the TxId and my address I sent to. Could u guys help me out? I've already checked the explorer and it doesn't even find my adress. Is there something special I'm missing? To be clear, that one coin is not what I'm worried about I just want to send my other coins to my wallet.

Nvm, it was just really slow for some reason
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
Who needs anonymity - those will buy on BISQ.
Who needs investments - those will buy on top10 exchanges, where increased demand will raise the price and thereby invest the project. If, of course, the project needs investments.
If any Bitrex on its own initiative adds XSPEC to the listing, XSPEC itself will not become less anonymous from this.
Activity: 20
Guys help me out here.

I sent some XSPEC today from cryptopia, I sent just  1 xspec to be sure it worked fine and it didn't work. I have the TxId and my address I sent to. Could u guys help me out? I've already checked the explorer and it doesn't even find my adress. Is there something special I'm missing? To be clear, that one coin is not what I'm worried about I just want to send my other coins to my wallet.

Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
I use livecoin.net to buy Spectrecoin and use lovecoin.net to wallet my Xspec...
Today the status of Xspec is "wallet offline temporarily".
Is this common and normal?
It is for livecoin. They constantly have trouble keeping the wallet online. But they do fix it. We have already made attempt to contact them.
Hi there,

I'm putting together an evaluation matrix of all notable Anonymous/Private cryptocurrencies, and could use your help clarifyiing Spectrecoin.    Feedback including reference to something official (website, whitepaper etc) or Dev comments (or devs themselves) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/anonymity-security-and-privacy-anonymous-cryptocurrency-enhancement-comparsion-2669844

This is a great comparison chart! The only concern I have is that it does not differentiate between TOR interaction and TOR integration, which is a HUGE difference. TOR interaction uses TOR for transportation but require the transaction to enter / exit the network at the end-points. TOR integration, on the otherhand, means that the transactions NEVER LEAVE the TOR network. Practically this means that transactions leaving the TOR network are still vulnerable to being monitored at the exit-nodes. If the transaction never leaves the network, it also not vulnarable to such monitoring.

AFAIF, XSPEC is the ONLY coin that is fully integrated in the TOR network. Adding OBSF4 is then the extra kicker, making it truly globally available.

Out of all of these coins which have actually delivered on all of their proposed functions and are ready to go and which are still a work in progress or still to deliver any of these functions?

At least for XSPEC, all of the stated features (TOR integration, OBFS4, Ring Signatures, PoS3, Stealth Addresses) are reality and it works perfectly.  Even the OBFS4 capability, unique among crypto-coins, has been proven to work in places where TOR is blocked. It is field tested and robust.

The devs are now busy with the next set of features, including stealth staking!

Check out the roadmap at https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/. Also encourage you to look at the wiki at http://coinwiki.info/en/SpectreCoin

Then why isn't this coin blasting off? Serious question, not being a smart ass, if its all done and working as intended then surely this must be the most wanted privacy coin on the market, what's holding it back?

Valid question. You can read up on SpectreCoin's history in the wiki.

My 2 cents on this: the devs and the initial community were focused on getting out a technically superior product and stick as close as possible to the "privacy" mantra (for instance: don't try to find a list of names of the devs  ...). In many respects I believe this was a smart move and distinguishes XSPEC from many other coins that are nothing but vapourware and built on promisses.

However, they have not done ANY serious marketing or structured community outreach yet. All of the current gains are mostly based on word of mouth convincing people one-by-one about the technical excellence of, and visions for, this coin.

With the new version 1.3.4 which is due around the the 9th of January, and then 1.4 by of  end of the months, I believe there will be more marketing related activities coming.

I truly believe it can compete easily with the big names out there and will blast off soon enough.

Activity: 70
Maybe thats the big drop on cryptopia? Lets see what 2018 brings. Hopefully a new wallet in short time Wink

It was manipulation, it's already recovered.
Activity: 22
Hi there,

I'm putting together an evaluation matrix of all notable Anonymous/Private cryptocurrencies, and could use your help clarifyiing Spectrecoin.    Feedback including reference to something official (website, whitepaper etc) or Dev comments (or devs themselves) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/anonymity-security-and-privacy-anonymous-cryptocurrency-enhancement-comparsion-2669844

https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FAHuCzTV.png&t=584&c=IWxEgH3WCBa33w

This is solid. Thanks for sharing!
Activity: 183
Maybe thats the big drop on cryptopia? Lets see what 2018 brings. Hopefully a new wallet in short time Wink
the same thing
people from russian topic say that it will be fixed
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
Pages:
Jump to: