Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][VOT]: VoteCoin - a new era of anonymous crypto democracy - page 24. (Read 78590 times)

Activity: 273
Merit: 12
For Zcash maybe, but for 0.5MSol/s VOT network only 50 such miners needed to get control over (or ruin?) the network!

Lets try some math.
Current VoteCoin network hash rate is 500 Ksol/s.
Bitmain's Equihash miner costs around $2200 including PSU and shipping, while the miner is capable of mining 10Ksol/s.

To get over 50% of hashrate of VoteCoin network, you need to generate another 500 Ksol/s.
You would have to buy 50 such ASIC miners, so the cost would be 110 000 USD.
(not mentioning that bitmain will sell only 1 device to a single user)
(not mentioning that having 51% of hashrate does NOT ruin the network at all)

If you want to get the same hashrate with GTX 1060 cards, you would need 1666 such cards (300 Sol per card), which would cost you around 400 000 USD today.
So ASIC gives you only 4x the hashrate for your money.
Not mentioning that once the bitmain's ASICs are released, the price for used GPUs will decrease rapidly and you may get 1666 such cards for say 200 000 USD while still getting several years warranty, compared to bitmain's 180 days.

In long term, the ASICs will consume less energy, indeed, so it will be more profitable that GPUs, but other than that, the advantage of having bitmain's ASIC boxes will be insignificant.

-Tom

This is completely not true at all about bitmain limits. If you are a bulk buyer you can buy as many as you want and receive same day as everyone ordering 1. Alibaba trusted resellers are already listing these for presale guaranteeing same day delivery as ordering from bitmain.

ASICs are not the future, and for a coin like this where decentralization is a major factor and you are in favor of centralization, then there is a huge reason for this coin to not become a main use coin. There are plenty of other coins similar that will fight centralization, but you are not going to fight centralization then what is the point of using your coin? Your coin will most likely be hit with several attacks, due to the small size of your coin, and 50 ASICs is nothing compared to what bitmain is selling and has running.
Activity: 265
Merit: 105
The real question is will you be able to sort out the mess if Zcash decides not to fork!?
A bigger team (IntenseCoin) made a right mess out of all the forking against ASICs so I am worried about the VoteCoin team capabilities which, I believe, has much smaller team. Please reassure us Smiley

Exactly for this reason we plan to stick with whatever ZCash decides to do - we will simply adopt their changes and we're happy to go.
-Tom
For Zcash maybe, but for 0.5MSol/s VOT network only 50 such miners needed to get control over (or ruin?) the network!

Lets try some math.
Current VoteCoin network hash rate is 500 Ksol/s.
Bitmain's Equihash miner costs around $2200 including PSU and shipping, while the miner is capable of mining 10Ksol/s.

To get over 50% of hashrate of VoteCoin network, you need to generate another 500 Ksol/s.
You would have to buy 50 such ASIC miners, so the cost would be 110 000 USD.
(not mentioning that bitmain will sell only 1 device to a single user)
(not mentioning that having 51% of hashrate does NOT ruin the network at all)

If you want to get the same hashrate with GTX 1060 cards, you would need 1666 such cards (300 Sol per card), which would cost you around 400 000 USD today.
So ASIC gives you only 4x the hashrate for your money.
Not mentioning that once the bitmain's ASICs are released, the price for used GPUs will decrease rapidly and you may get 1666 such cards for say 200 000 USD while still getting several years warranty, compared to bitmain's 180 days.

In long term, the ASICs will consume less energy, indeed, so it will be more profitable that GPUs, but other than that, the advantage of having bitmain's ASIC boxes will be insignificant.

-Tom
Activity: 62
Merit: 1

VoteCoin will follow zcash regarding this.
Zooko Wilcox said somewhere that ASIC resistance is not such important for zcash, since ASIC makes the network stronger.
So not sure about the outcome yet
-Tom

For Zcash maybe, but for 0.5MSol/s VOT network only 50 such miners needed to get control over (or ruin?) the network! Please correct me if I am wrong. And for sure, such network/blockchain cannot be called decentralized voting platform if there will be only couple of main players (mining farms) on the VOT mining market.

The real question is will you be able to sort out the mess if Zcash decides not to fork!?
A bigger team (IntenseCoin) made a right mess out of all the forking against ASICs so I am worried about the VoteCoin team capabilities which, I believe, has much smaller team. Please reassure us Smiley

Better to be prepared than sorry.

For now I translate such answer as ASICs are welcome to ruin our project/network. A good time to order some ASICs for tests after such answer Cheesy.

I agree with your concern !
Activity: 6
Merit: 0

Zooko Wilcox said somewhere that ASIC resistance is not such important for zcash, since ASIC makes the network stronger.
-Tom

For Zcash maybe, but for 0.5MSol/s VOT network only 50 such miners needed to get control over (or ruin?) the network! Please correct me if I am wrong. And for sure, such network/blockchain cannot be called decentralized voting platform if there will be only couple of main players (mining farms) on the VOT mining market.

Better to be prepared than sorry.

For now I translate such answer as ASICs are welcome to ruin our project/network. A good time to order some ASICs for tests after such answer Cheesy.

-Tom

Activity: 384
Merit: 107
It seems that listing on Open Ledger DEX is free, maybe submit the application form?

https://dex.openledger.info/welcome
Activity: 10
Is there any plan to be listed in Binance like website says ?

Seems they're waiting to see what Zooko/ZCash does...
Activity: 6
Activity: 350
Merit: 10
VoteCoin market demand for this coin is obvious. I hope the team can do this coin well.
Activity: 62
Merit: 1
Any upcoming news for votecoin ?
Activity: 490
Merit: 100
The emergence of anonymous voting system will greatly change the existing rules of coin trading. This is a great progress.
Activity: 82
There was an error on the official VoteCoin pool, it tried to send payments to some invalid address, and since that failed, payments were delayed due to that. It is now fixed and all payments were sent properly.

Also, there was an error in dnsseed servers for VoteCoin, basically there was a full-debug-logging enabled on the dnsseed nodes, and the debug log took 100% of hard disk capacity, and the dnsseed nodes died due to that. This caused problems in sync for new users. This has been also fixed, so new users should be able to connect and sync wallet now without any issues.

We are sorry for the troubles, lets hope it won't happen too often Smiley
-Tom

Thank you! Our new team member syncing now, great job, VoteCoin's team!
Activity: 7
There was an error on the official VoteCoin pool, it tried to send payments to some invalid address, and since that failed, payments were delayed due to that. It is now fixed and all payments were sent properly.

Also, there was an error in dnsseed servers for VoteCoin, basically there was a full-debug-logging enabled on the dnsseed nodes, and the debug log took 100% of hard disk capacity, and the dnsseed nodes died due to that. This caused problems in sync for new users. This has been also fixed, so new users should be able to connect and sync wallet now without any issues.

-Tom

great job! now I have 2 connections and wallet started to sync.. thanks to dev and team!

-Tom
Activity: 3
Please the dev to fix this sync problem.

I have no problem with connection.
- try ping mainnet.votecoin.site
- make sure "addnode=mainnet.votecoin.site" (without quote) is in your votecoin.conf
- restart wallet.

I use votecoind.exe and vot.bat from Ms Windows command prompt  for simplicity
Now i have 2 connections and its seems to go to sync. Tank you Smiley
Activity: 144
The community is doing a great job building and managing the discord. The growth of this project has been a joy to watch.
Activity: 435
Merit: 400

I have no problem with connection.
- try ping mainnet.votecoin.site
- make sure "addnode=mainnet.votecoin.site" (without quote) is in your votecoin.conf
- restart wallet.

I use votecoind.exe and vot.bat from Ms Windows command prompt  for simplicity
Activity: 3
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Same here. I wanted to start mining this coin, but won't until I see it synced.
Anyone else having this issue?

Especially for you. I ran two versions of the wallet (old and new) on different versions of the operating system. The average number of connections is 8. Coins move freely between wallets.
Pages:
Jump to: