Author

Topic: [ANN][VTR] vTorrent - Share with freedom | 2FA | HD | @Bittrex - page 152. (Read 436160 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Volume and price been picking up the last few days, more starting to realise that this isn't a bad gamble, the risk to reward ratio is very favourable the closer we get to the forks.
legendary
Apple CEO, Tim Cook, announces native vTorrent support during the launch of their new MacBook Pro.

You need to angle your boxes a few more degrees, hahahaa, nice try though.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Apple CEO, Tim Cook, announces native vTorrent support during the launch of their new MacBook Pro.

legendary
UK Considers Fines to Force Search Engines to Tackle Piracy

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-considers-fines-force-search-engines-tackle-piracy-161027/

So all this attention on closing down websites, meets decentralized BitTorrent with payment token (vTorrent / JoyStream, MU2), meets IPFS (decentralized web pages) = forcing technology to keep evolving until governments can't do Jack about what users want to do.

There is a move to sensor the internet, I feelthe UK digital rights bill is a small part of it, by using bull shit copyright infringement as an excuse, only a few weeks back Obama handed over the domain registration system to the UN (bye bye net neutrality):

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/icann-control-un/

Can anyone say, "totalitarian tip toe"?
legendary
UK Considers Fines to Force Search Engines to Tackle Piracy

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-considers-fines-force-search-engines-tackle-piracy-161027/

So all this attention on closing down websites, meets decentralized BitTorrent with payment token (vTorrent / JoyStream, MU2), meets IPFS (decentralized web pages) = forcing technology to keep evolving until governments can't do Jack about what users want to do.
legendary
Our premium explorer expires in 2 days: http://cryptoguru.tk/CurrencyInfo/index.php?Currency=VTR

I'll refill it for another 3-6 months when I get some time later today.

If you check out the transaction charts you can see a lot of P2P transfers have been happening of late.

What are these transactions?

Transaction Type:   Other
Newly Generated Coins:   0.00000000
Input:   0.00000000
Output:   0.00000000
Fee:   0.00000000

I'm not sure but I did see some large transactions take place over the time period.

It includes PoS transactions as well as chat messages I assume.

@dev

Is this from the messenger within the client, or testing the token / torrent functionality? Come on, just between us friends  Grin
Activity: 522
Merit: 500
Our premium explorer expires in 2 days: http://cryptoguru.tk/CurrencyInfo/index.php?Currency=VTR

If you check out the transaction charts you can see a lot of P2P transfers have been happening of late.

I'm not sure but I did see some large transactions take place over the time period.

It includes PoS transactions as well as chat messages I assume.
legendary

Has anyone contacted torrentfreak.com with this project?
https://torrentfreak.com/contact/

They cover some super interesting torrent related stuff and seem to have some proper journalists working there.
legendary
Looks like Megaupload 2.0 is competition

https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-2-0-will-outsource-file-hosting-and-prevent-takedown-abuse-161025/

This is good news.

If you look at BitTorrent's Sync development, it wants to offer a service similar to Dropbox. This is basically what MU2.0 is as well.

Looks like vTorrent is in the right sector, at the right time.

[Actually, loving the idea of Sync using VTR  Wink]

Right timing also, M2U alpha release is scheduled for late Jan, our second fork is in Feb, hopefully it will be the big release, so we can get the head start.

From the article

With over a million raised by investors already, MU2 is currently valued at well over $50 million. While this is still peanuts compared to the multi-billion dollar IPO the original Megaupload was working on, it shows that people have faith in Dotcom and his team.

A value of $50M for M2U. If the VTR system is good then the sky is the limit. Grin
legendary
Looks like Megaupload 2.0 is competition

https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-2-0-will-outsource-file-hosting-and-prevent-takedown-abuse-161025/

This is good news.

If you look at BitTorrent's Sync development, it wants to offer a service similar to Dropbox. This is basically what MU2.0 is as well.

Looks like vTorrent is in the right sector, at the right time.

[Actually, loving the idea of Sync using VTR  Wink]
legendary
Lots of marketplace activity in past 24-48 hours

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-VTR

I've been talking about VTR on cryptocopia slack: https://cryptocopia.slack.com/messages/general/

There's some decent people that hang there, looks like some of them are trying to buy in, plus there was that article coins101 posted a link to, people are starting to take notice.

You should join up ik_do, people seem quite receptive to vTorrent, i'm sure they would love to hear your perspective of the project.
Lots of marketplace activity in past 24-48 hours

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-VTR
legendary

The problem is mostly that 50 cents a pop is great in concept, but in a lot of regions anything under a few dollars is prohitably expensive once you add transaction costs and overheads. Which is where bitcoin vTorrent could come in at some point.

The problem here is your pivot point and prism is California biased. Using BitTorrents own mapping of where its users are based:

But viewed from a content creation and distribution point where people live on $1-$2 / day, $0.50 a pop is a big deal.

$0.25 for a Bollywood movie watched by 300m people is $75m. Not bad if you're cutting out most of the middlemen and distribution costs and the movie / TV show has already aired through traditional channels.

It's really good idea, but the devs remain silent on the matter, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what they release in the coming months.
legendary

The problem is mostly that 50 cents a pop is great in concept, but in a lot of regions anything under a few dollars is prohitably expensive once you add transaction costs and overheads. Which is where bitcoin vTorrent could come in at some point.

The problem here is your pivot point and prism is California biased. Using BitTorrents own mapping of where its users are based:

But viewed from a content creation and distribution point where people live on $1-$2 / day, $0.50 a pop is a big deal.

$0.25 for a Bollywood movie watched by 300m people is $75m. Not bad if you're cutting out most of the middlemen and distribution costs and the movie / TV show has already aired through traditional channels.

Nice find coins, I wasn't aware that there was so many torrent users world wide, from the article:

While JoyStream and vTorrent are yet to go live, when they do launch in early 2017 they will be able to immediately tap into 300–500 million existing BitTorrent users, compared to Netflix’s 90 million subscribers.

The potential to reach this existing global market of 300–500 million BitTorrent users has investors salivating at the prospect of backing start-ups that could be the future Netflix or Amazon Video.

This is from torrent freak, it was published in 2012, this is only two torrent clients: https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-surges-to-150-million-monthly-users-120109/

When the dev finally releases vTorrent, anyone with 100K VTR is gonna be quite wealthy.  Shocked

You have to keep reading till the end to see in 2012 there were around 250m BitTorrent users.

"Based on the 150 million active monthly users BitTorrent Inc. reports for their clients, the total number of monthly BitTorrent users can be estimated at more than a quarter billion. And despite these already dazzling numbers, there is still plenty of room for growth."

I think those numbers would have been dented by Kodi and Netflix.

The idea of being able to completely control rights in any capacity is an idea high up in the clouds that will never, ever be achieved. So long as operating systems have BYO software and people can encrypt files there is no way to actually identify what people are consuming.

A good example is Steam which simply made consumption a convenience--you pay and you get what you pay for easily, quickly and without hassle. This is what has to be tackled in the world of media.

Which is why they go after the distributors or anyone they can claim to be a distributor. Kim.com didn't know what 100m people were loading into megaupload, but the service was taken down.

YouTube is one of the biggest sources of pirated content yet you don't see it being taken down or the owners threatened with criminal action. They have a grand bargain with rights holders instead. They help distribute rights holders material and act on take downs, but it doesn't change the facts that YouTube still has more media copyright content infringements than bittorrent.

So you have to atleast offer the functionality to enable rights holders a way to distribute their own material and collect royalties.

Yes, but in every case the stupidity lies with the right's holders. In the case of YouTube many TV networks could've negotiated themselves a pretty penny with worldwide distribution rights--if they made available all the latest TV shows 24 hours after air and charged 50 cents a pop people wouldn't bother with BitTorrent.

The problem is mostly that 50 cents a pop is great in concept, but in a lot of regions anything under a few dollars is prohitably expensive once you add transaction costs and overheads. Which is where bitcoin could come in at some point.

I don't think its a bad idea to have options for rights-holders, I just think trying to get them to actually use it would be fairly futile.

However, having said all that, if vTorrent is successful it will be different to the options that came before it because it won't be possible to take it down (in theory). Kazaa, Limewire, eMule, BitTorrent trackers (The Pirate Bay), Mega and all the other services that have come and gone all had central failing points.

We're now engaged in a race to the bottom, whoever does it cheapest, quickest and easiest will come out as the winner. Rights holders will have to adapt to the technology and not the other way around.

Lets hope that vTorrent launch is a success.
legendary

Nice find coins, I wasn't aware that there was so many torrent users world wide, from the article:

While JoyStream and vTorrent are yet to go live, when they do launch in early 2017 they will be able to immediately tap into 300–500 million existing BitTorrent users, compared to Netflix’s 90 million subscribers.

The potential to reach this existing global market of 300–500 million BitTorrent users has investors salivating at the prospect of backing start-ups that could be the future Netflix or Amazon Video.

This is from torrent freak, it was published in 2012, this is only two torrent clients: https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-surges-to-150-million-monthly-users-120109/

When the dev finally releases vTorrent, anyone with 100K VTR is gonna be quite wealthy.  Shocked

You have to keep reading till the end to see in 2012 there were around 250m BitTorrent users.

"Based on the 150 million active monthly users BitTorrent Inc. reports for their clients, the total number of monthly BitTorrent users can be estimated at more than a quarter billion. And despite these already dazzling numbers, there is still plenty of room for growth."

The idea of being able to completely control rights in any capacity is an idea high up in the clouds that will never, ever be achieved. So long as operating systems have BYO software and people can encrypt files there is no way to actually identify what people are consuming.

A good example is Steam which simply made consumption a convenience--you pay and you get what you pay for easily, quickly and without hassle. This is what has to be tackled in the world of media.

Which is why they go after the distributors or anyone they can claim to be a distributor. Kim.com didn't know what 100m people were loading into megaupload, but the service was taken down.

YouTube is one of the biggest sources of pirated content yet you don't see it being taken down or the owners threatened with criminal action. They have a grand bargain with rights holders instead. They help distribute rights holders material and act on take downs, but it doesn't change the facts that YouTube still has more media copyright content infringements than bittorrent.

So you have to atleast offer the functionality to enable rights holders a way to distribute their own material and collect royalties.

legendary

Jump to: