Author

Topic: [ANN][VTR] vTorrent - Share with freedom | 2FA | HD | @Bittrex - page 149. (Read 436160 times)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
Positive movement on trex again: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-VTR

People are less likely to dump the closer we get to the first fork.

More people buying than selling,

We should crack 2k soon.

Anything below $2m marketcap is stealing money from noob sellers.

$2m to $5m is reflective of start up status.

$80m is pissing off Hollywood.

Had a few messages about OTC of VTR as a few BTC on Trex impacts the market quite a bit.

Market cap is keep rising....this one seems like a 100x

I'm far from the largest hodler. Quite modest in fact compared to some of the other long-term hodlers.

As I experienced with Darkcoin, now DASH, when the market picks up a lot of people will take the opportunity to liquidate at a figure they think is fair for what the project promises. Who knows what that will be. My guess is from $1m people will get a sweaty nervous twitch and start taking some of their early adopter profits.  

As noted above, $2m to $5m is a fair value by hard fork nr.2 around Feb 2017, imho, before user numbers start to pick-up. BitTorrent is a viral software by definition.  So I'm personally of the view that organic growth of user numbers should see VTR hit $80m. The project has utility and seeders will help market vTorrent so they can get paid.

Just look at all those people that sold a lot of Darkcoin / Dash, in the $5m - $20m range. How do you think they feel now?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Positive movement on trex again: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-VTR

People are less likely to dump the closer we get to the first fork.

More people buying than selling,

We should crack 2k soon.

Anything below $2m marketcap is stealing money from noob sellers.

$2m to $5m is reflective of start up status.

$80m is pissing off Hollywood.

Had a few messages about OTC of VTR as a few BTC on Trex impacts the market quite a bit.

I'm far from the largest hodler. Quite modest in fact compared to some of the other long-term hodlers.

As I experienced with Darkcoin, now DASH, when the market picks up a lot of people will take the opportunity to liquidate at a figure they think is fair for what the project promises. Who knows what that will be. My guess is from $1m people will get a sweaty nervous twitch and start taking some of their early adopter profits.  

As noted above, $2m to $5m is a fair value by hard fork nr.2 around Feb 2017, imho, before user numbers start to pick-up. BitTorrent is a viral software by definition.  So I'm personally of the view that organic growth of user numbers should see VTR hit $80m. The project has utility and seeders will help market vTorrent so they can get paid.

Just look at all those people that sold a lot of Darkcoin / Dash, in the $5m - $20m range. How do you think they feel now?
legendary
OK, it's syncing but it just seems really slow... around 12kB/s in with 9 connections (6 in, 3 out). Normal?

At the moment. Next fork should see a faster client.

You should fully sync in about 24hrs.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
Everything's a bubble, idiot
OK, it's syncing but it just seems really slow... around 12kB/s in with 9 connections (6 in, 3 out). Normal?
legendary
Cool, good to have you around.

If you have a second computer, test out the in wallet 2FA with a few coins. When you've got the hang of it, don't forget it's there. vTorrent is the only project with in wallet 2FA  Cool
Thanks to coins101 for the bump. I knew those nodes had to go in a file in the same location but for some reason I named it peers.dat :/

So the other main question I had was about new coin creation - I now understand that the PoW stage has long ended and it's PoS only. Is this right? And just 5% increase annually? This could possibly be made clearer on the front page as you see the part about Scrypt mining and it's a tad confusing.

I have the blockchain syncing nicely now so should be staking at some point in the next 12 hours I'd say  Grin

Excited to be a part of this project - wallet looks awesome so far and bittrex integration is a lovely touch.

-SMD

legendary
Activity: 1288
Not many selling at the current level, 166K marketcap is still dirt cheap in fact it's seriously undervalued, it's gonna be interesting to watch the market over the coming days/months.

personally, I'm not selling any until torrents are implemented.
legendary
Can anyone put a list of peers here with instructions on how to add them. still having trouble with wallet and I deleted the old folder. maybe I just need more then the 2 connections im getting

An old post, read it carefully:

Windows wallet no active connections as of 23 Dec. It worked OK since launch. Any ideas?

Please try to add nodes from the first post.

The new beta client will have all of those nodes hard coded and should requires no further action from users.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your support.
I've made a txt file and saved with nodes. Does it need a specific name and place to go as Its still not working. Thanks.

Put all the nodes in text file and save it as 'vTorrent.conf' then move/copy it according to your operating system

For Windows:

The file AppData folder is hidden by default so make sure to enable viewing hidden files.

Code:
Windows drive (C:) -> Users -> $YOURUSERNAME -> AppData -> Roaming -> vTorrent

For Mac:

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/vTorrent/

OR

Code:
/Users/$YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/vTorrent/

For Linux:

Code:
~/.vTorrent/

Please let me know if you still have any problem after following this procedures,

Thank you for your support.

Nodes from front page (always use the front page OP):
Code:
addnode=31.220.49.95:32524
addnode=31.220.49.178:42524
addnode=108.61.242.254
addnode=108.35.173.204
addnode=85.24.143.44
addnode=104.236.20.112
addnode=212.204.164.23
addnode=82.130.210.236
addnode=24.37.155.182
addnode=192.99.13.67
addnode=25.169.124.62
addnode=46.165.209.144
addnode=37.187.144.36
addnode=104.236.43.108

1. Notepad
2. place these nodes in notepad
3. save the notepad file as vtorrent.conf
4. save the file in the directory where your vtorrent wallet is located (see dev instructions above)
5. careful not to save your tile as vtorrent.conf.txt (check when you are saving in notepad that you select 'All files' if you're on windows.

Actually, if more people were staking, I think the chain would be zinging along.

bump for query above

get the latest client here

https://github.com/vtorrent/vTorrent-Client/releases/0.8.1.1

additional release notes, here https://github.com/vtorrent/vTorrent-Client/releases/0.8.1
Interesting project, but finding it hard to get technical information...

1) How do I add the nodes in the OP so that I get more than 1 connection to the network?

I tried typing:

addnode=31.220.49.95:32524
addnode=31.220.49.178:42524
addnode=108.61.242.254
addnode=108.35.173.204
addnode=85.24.143.44
addnode=104.236.20.112
addnode=212.204.164.23
addnode=82.130.210.236
addnode=24.37.155.182
addnode=192.99.13.67
addnode=25.169.124.62
addnode=46.165.209.144
addnode=37.187.144.36
addnode=104.236.43.108

in the console but not sure it worked

2) Where can I mine VTR (pools) and what miner to use, and how does this interact with PoS?

3) Is there a website or anywhere with all this on? (tor site perhaps?)

Thanks!
Activity: 522
Merit: 500
legendary
*if when

You have a typo in there.

I don't disagree with providing options for rights-holders, all I was saying that it is completely hopeless to try and claim it will be possible to stop "illegal" distribution of files.

That's true enough. Its also the reason why rights holders go after the distribution channels.

Trouble is, with every attack they force people to innovate and at some point they will find a situation where they can't control anything. Might as well switch tactics and try to influence development.

With something like VTR on the table they have effectively lost control. With every evolution of the copyright argument on the internet, they have left themselves with less and less control.

VTR, if successful, can easily present a solution which cannot be controlled. This also stands true for other projects promising similar ideas.

The main point in all of this is that it cannot possibly be seen that having anything to do with vTorrent (either via running the client, holding coins or etc) can be construed as being "illegal" otherwise the people that created BitTorrent itself would have been arrested. It's just a program. The end-user is the person who decides how to use the software.
legendary

I don't disagree with providing options for rights-holders, all I was saying that it is completely hopeless to try and claim it will be possible to stop "illegal" distribution of files.

That's true enough. Its also the reason why rights holders go after the distribution channels.

Trouble is, with every attack they force people to innovate and at some point they will find a situation where they can't control anything. Might as well switch tactics and try to influence development.
..Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.

The vTorrent genie is not yet out of the bottle.

Anyone can download and use the vTorrent client. Anyone will be able to seed and set the seeding price.

Why don't movie houses download the vTorrent client and seed their own material? That way it's 100% legal, they set the price and everyone is happy.

If I'm paying to access content, it wouldn't make any difference to me if Disney direct were the distributors. Same goes for music files.

This is where I think creating an originator seed priority payment referral mechanism works.

Just to recap my thoughts on that.

If I download software which is open source, I can sell it on eBay and I can set my price. The trouble is the person I sell it to might also want to sell it. Within a few weeks there could be hundreds of sellers and the price will go down to near zero as people will be happy to make a little money on postage costs.

So I have no incentive to spend time and effort finding good content to sell. I'm just working for others.

Protect my initial time and effort investment by some mechanism and I'm a happy little seeder, as an individual or as Sony, Time Warner, Fox, Dreamworks, etc.

You can even give rights holders a mechanism to sell direct to vTorrent customers. Give them an option to 'buy' titles and as long at the title is stored in a certain folder, the user can watch / listen again and again without having to keep paying for bandwidth.   This is how Amazon, iTunes, etc work anyway.

vTorrent could give rights holders a direct channel to customers, without the hassle of the infrastructure so they can undercut their current distribution channels while still making more profits.

legendary
..Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.

The vTorrent genie is not yet out of the bottle.

Anyone can download and use the vTorrent client. Anyone will be able to seed and set the seeding price.

Why don't movie houses download the vTorrent client and seed their own material? That way it's 100% legal, they set the price and everyone is happy.

If I'm paying to access content, it wouldn't make any difference to me if Disney direct were the distributors. Same goes for music files.

This is where I think creating an originator seed priority payment referral mechanism works.

Just to recap my thoughts on that.

If I download software which is open source, I can sell it on eBay and I can set my price. The trouble is the person I sell it to might also want to sell it. Within a few weeks there could be hundreds of sellers and the price will go down to near zero as people will be happy to make a little money on postage costs.

So I have no incentive to spend time and effort finding good content to sell. I'm just working for others.

Protect my initial time and effort investment by some mechanism and I'm a happy little seeder, as an individual or as Sony, Time Warner, Fox, Dreamworks, etc.

You can even give rights holders a mechanism to sell direct to vTorrent customers. Give them an option to 'buy' titles and as long at the title is stored in a certain folder, the user can watch / listen again and again without having to keep paying for bandwidth.   This is how Amazon, iTunes, etc work anyway.

vTorrent could give rights holders a direct channel to customers, without the hassle of the infrastructure so they can undercut their current distribution channels while still making more profits.
The bottom line for the discussion of legal vs illegal content is that BitTorrent is just a distribution method for files. It is impossible to control if people use it for good or bad purposes and it is impossible to effectively police it in any way besides going after trackers and websites that list torrent files.

First, the argument was about whether it was ok to host illegal files.
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to facilitate P2P networking via centralized servers (i.e. Kazaa)
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to host torrent files if the content was entirely hosted by external parties
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to have magnet links (i.e. lines of text) on websites that 100% hosted no actual content.

IMHO, vTorrent is merely a platform that incentivizes users of BitTorrent. That's it. All questions and discussion about legal vs illegal don't matter because BitTorrent itself is a separate project.

Especially interesting is this link: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/govt-realized-bitcoin-not-shut-says-u-s-federal-prosecutor/

In an almost hour long interview, Kathryn Haun, Assistant Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice in San Francisco and lecturer on digital currencies at Stanford Law School, who prosecuted her own colleagues, Shaun Bridges, a former Secret Services agent and Carl Mark Force, a DEA agent, for public corruption in an investigation arising from Silk Road, the infamous drug bazaar shut down in 2013, stated that  the reason United States government did not shut down bitcoin is because they “recognize you can’t shut down bitcoin.”

“There is simply no way” – Haun said, “with these technologies once the genie is out of the bottle you can’t put it back in…but even if we could hold the developers of these technologies accountable,” the federal prosecutor continued, that would be “counter to the legal system.”

Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.
legendary
For all those sending me PM's, thanks. A brief recap of where we seem to be:

* What is the release schedule?

The next vTorrent release dates are:

Scheduled hard-fork:
-Posv2 at Block 1200000 (roughly mid Dec)
-Posv3 at Block 1300000 (roughly Feb 2017)

* When is torrent functionality coming?

This thread is where the devs say to expect the BitTorrent features:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16427344

currently uploading and seed ratio to generation of TOKEN (which is interchangeable to VTR in client) by seeding algorithm is already implemented

*What limitations are there on the file sizes?

See here for some insight into what the devs are proposing for the BitTorrent integration, including some initial insight into incentives for seeding:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16469171

Quote from: vTorrent devs
There is actually no theoretical limit for the bandwidth or file size that our network can handle at any given moment.

* What's the competition?

JoyStream & MegaUpload 2.0

But consider that the shareholders of JoyStream and MegaUpload 2.0 will benefit from these services. With vTorrent, you can benefit from the popularity of a coin with integration with BitTorrent.

You can also influence development. Just post features that you want to see.

BitTorrent integration is really hard to do, which is why there aren't any projects doing it, apart from vTorrent and JoyStream

JoyStream and MegaUpload 2.0 projects are also not yet live.

* Is vTorrent open source?

Yes, but not yet 100% released.

The devs have said that there are plenty of people waiting to clone vTorrent. So they are going to wait until the main features are released before going open source:

As of now, only vTorrent Core is open sourced, and the reason we need to keep our full client (2FA included) closed source is to prevent other dev to clone our work and claim it as their own (or falsely claim as their project being one of the first to implement those features).

When Bittorrent part of vTorrent is reveal in a few release from now, hopefully our project will then be wildly known in crypto-currency space and the decision to open sourced other part of our project will then be considered again.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16427344
legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002
for anonymous filesharing you could always check out https://www.demonsaw.com/ too
Activity: 242
Merit: 250
I say give an originators fee to give an incentive for people adding new content, and then let others charge what they want. Economics will bring the level down to an agreed rate.

legendary
So will Vtorrent be used for pirated copies or legal content?
Should we not look into more legal way. It will
Have more positive market. Ileggal downloads
Will always be persecuted.

Let's wait and see.

...If anybody have any suggestions or ideas about how we should reward the seeders, please PM me or reply in thread.

I am a particular fan of creating a royalty payments channel:

This way, seeders can set the fees they pass on to rights holders. Rights holders can declare to the market what percentages they are prepared to accept, and again this can change over time depending on the rights holder.

For example, on first release, the rights holder might want to set the seeding price and the royalty percentage they are prepared to accept. As content becomes stale, the price might move to a market based model with the rights holder accepting less in terms of percentage share.

Lets say the rights holder is a software company that releases their software but wants to charge $500. They might want to keep 90% of that and offer 10% to seeders. This is like an affiliates program.

Or, lets say the rights holder is a movie company. They might to release James Bond xyz to seeders to help distribute their film. They might want to charge $5 per stream, and only want to keep 20% for themselves to encourage the market not to pirate the movie.

It would be interesting to have a verified rights holder seeder which shares a percentage with all other seeders. This means rights holders can be the source seeder, but others get a share for being distributors. ISP's would love it if large movie files were distributed on local area networks.

With a rights percentage share option, vTorrent would find itself being listed on sites like download.com and promoted by movie companies.

If you have any ideas on payments / incentives models, I'm sure the devs will be open to listening to views. It's still not too late to make changes or make tweaks to whatever they are planning.
Jump to: