Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine - page 32. (Read 578458 times)

legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
@SISAR: I just sent you a reply.

@GingerAle: You can find more info on the Cryptonite API here: http://cryptonite.info/wiki/index.php?title=Cryptonite_API
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
This is bitcoin based, right? so now I gotta learn how to use the bitcoin daemon?
Yes it's based on Bitcoin but it should also create a Qt binary in the qt folder if you don't want to use cryptonited. Configure using --with-gui to ensure that it does build Qt.

thanks for the heads up, but all my cryptocurrency boxes are headless, so... nothing but daemons.
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
bitfreak! please respond to my PM, thanks!
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
This is bitcoin based, right? so now I gotta learn how to use the bitcoin daemon?
Yes it's based on Bitcoin but it should also create a Qt binary in the qt folder if you don't want to use cryptonited. Configure using --with-gui to ensure that it does build Qt.
legendary
now if I could just get it to build. silly bitcoin codebase needing wonky berkelyDB
It shouldn't be too hard to build on Ubuntu. this post contains instructions for how to build on Ubuntu.

thanks, that dep list is exactly what I needed. sorry, its not hard to build on ubuntu, I just get lazy when it comes to figuring out dependencies.

its building now. This is bitcoin based, right? so now I gotta learn how to use the bitcoin daemon?
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
now if I could just get it to build. silly bitcoin codebase needing wonky berkelyDB
It shouldn't be too hard to build on Ubuntu. this post contains instructions for how to build on Ubuntu.
legendary
It just can't be the only friendly node on network is explorer one, why it is working flawlessly and what is wrong with other nodes?
I'm not sure but I'm guessing there are two main reasons: people still running the old protocol or nodes who cannot share slices from the account tree for one reason or another. Many of the exchange nodes probably have slice sharing disabled because it can freeze up while generating slices. But I've never really had much trouble syncing until recently so it could be something else.

The last build for wallet was roughly a year ago and since then Bitcoin code was massively updated, can we have updated code with XCN as well? Not just fixed networking and backup parts but Coin Control and other features as well.
There is an alternative to the Qt wallet which provides more advanced coin control but it's a bit complicated to set up: https://github.com/MiniblockchainProject/WebWalletQtAlt I will probably release a packaged version which is easy to install and run but I want to fix a few bugs I found the other day first. The problem is I'm just so busy working on other stuff at the moment I don't have much time to focus on Cryptonite. The biggest mistake I made with Cryptonite was probably not doing a pre-mine to fund future development. I figured a pre-mine wasn't necessary because I already had funding for the initial development of Cryptonite and I was really expecting more developers to come in and help work on Cryptonite as an open source project once we released the code but it doesn't look like that will happen.

I disagree with the premine. What you could do now is buy up the coins on the market and then fund developers that way, but thats a lot of personal investment.

Honestly, IMO, the lack of interest in this coin / account-tech is indicative of the fact that many peeps are just hoping that technology will continue to scale with time... i.e., in 20 years, the bitcoin blockchain will be gynormous and growing, the monero blockchain will be 6Xgynormous and growing, but the cryptonite ledger will still be within some range, and will stay in that range.

legendary
electronic [r]evolution
It just can't be the only friendly node on network is explorer one, why it is working flawlessly and what is wrong with other nodes?
I'm not sure but I'm guessing there are two main reasons: people still running the old protocol or nodes who cannot share slices from the account tree for one reason or another. Many of the exchange nodes probably have slice sharing disabled because it can freeze up while generating slices. But I've never really had much trouble syncing until recently so it could be something else.

The last build for wallet was roughly a year ago and since then Bitcoin code was massively updated, can we have updated code with XCN as well? Not just fixed networking and backup parts but Coin Control and other features as well.
There is an alternative to the Qt wallet which provides more advanced coin control but it's a bit complicated to set up: https://github.com/MiniblockchainProject/WebWalletQtAlt I will probably release a packaged version which is easy to install and run but I want to fix a few bugs I found the other day first. The problem is I'm just so busy working on other stuff at the moment I don't have much time to focus on Cryptonite. The biggest mistake I made with Cryptonite was probably not doing a pre-mine to fund future development. I figured a pre-mine wasn't necessary because I already had funding for the initial development of Cryptonite and I was really expecting more developers to come in and help work on Cryptonite as an open source project once we released the code but it doesn't look like that will happen.
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
@GingerAle Sorry about my delayed response, been busy killing brain cells over the weekend and haven't had much time to check this thread.

Do you have any projections on how large the blockchain would be when fully maxed? I.e., the 100 billion addresses as proposed in the "account" document?
I believe I have attempted to come up with a rough estimation in the past but I can't remember what the answer was. You should be able to get a rough idea by checking the current size of the trie and how many addresses exist. It wont be small though, at least a few dozen gigabytes in size. But I highly doubt we'll ever actually reach a point where that many addresses exist, and if we did it would be a very long time from now. We could probably come up with a good solution if it ever starts to become a problem anyway.

Also, does the current implementation address fungibility and privacy at all? What may be fascinating is that, inherently, the account system preserves fungibility once the coins have been absorbed into the account ledger. While the transaction is in the minichain, not so much though. If its not addressed, is there a way to address it?
There has been some discussion in this thread about methods for making transactions more anonymous and private. I think one of the most promising techniques is stealth payments because it should be compatible with the mini-blockchain scheme. Edit: there is also this thread which you may find interesting, but it looks like the links to his paper don't work anymore: Anonymity in the Mini-Blockchain scheme

it seems this balance-type "blockchain" would be a good fit with blockless cryptocurrency, as described here with DAGcoin.
I will read into how DAGcoin works and get back to your later with my thoughts, it seems like it could be an interesting concept.

If I understand how cryptonite works (which I probably don't), when a user goes to make a transaction, they are essentially minting coins (from their available balance).
Coins are never really minted in Cryptonite, even coinbase transactions have an input which points to the coinbase account. Coins get subtracted from one account and added to another when a transaction happens. If you add up all the balances of the accounts in the account tree it will always be the same because the coinbase account started off with all the coins.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
im trying to compile in ubuntu...

gbone@gbone-therock:~/Cryptonite$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: 5: ./autogen.sh: autoreconf: not found

Sad

You need autoconf installed
legendary
im trying to compile in ubuntu...

gbone@gbone-therock:~/Cryptonite$ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: 5: ./autogen.sh: autoreconf: not found

Sad
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
@JasonSW: Not sure why it wouldn't work if you followed my instructions on the last page. I would suggest you try syncing using cryptonited instead of Qt, it is more stable. Once you are fully synced you can switch back to Qt.

It is not good if a procedure to merely sync a wallet requires that much trouble. Also, even though I managed to have wallet synced in like 20 minutes any further syncing (after restart) went super slow. It just can't be the only friendly node on network is explorer one, why it is working flawlessly and what is wrong with other nodes? The last build for wallet was roughly a year ago and since then Bitcoin code was massively updated, can we have updated code with XCN as well? Not just fixed networking and backup parts but Coin Control and other features as well.
legendary
sorry for what seems like spamming this thread. my head gets moving and I can't stop.

it seems this balance-type "blockchain" would be a good fit with blockless cryptocurrency, as described here with DAGcoin.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/dagcoin-a-cryptocurrency-without-blocks-1177633

so instead of having the miniblockchain, as described for cryptonite, you have some kind of DAGchain.... and the balance-type fixes a problem with DAGcoin, in that DAGcoin requires there to be an extant blockchain of outputs to use. If I understand how cryptonite works (which I probably don't), when a user goes to make a transaction, they are essentially minting coins (from their available balance). 
legendary
Very fascinating. Thanks for the updated links. I love how with every other cryptocurrency the insurance against huge blockchains is the sure increase in our ability to store data. What I don't think has been addressed is the fact that most, if not all data, is moving to the cloud, and the only people with massive home storage are those that are operating outside of the cloud (read: dloading content in maybe perhaps not legal ways).

Do you have any projections on how large the blockchain would be when fully maxed? I.e., the 100 billion addresses as proposed in the "account" document?

Also, does the current implementation address fungibility and privacy at all? What may be fascinating is that, inherently, the account system preserves fungibility once the coins have been absorbed into the account ledger. While the transaction is in the minichain, not so much though. If its not addressed, is there a way to address it?
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
@JasonSW: Not sure why it wouldn't work if you followed my instructions on the last page. I would suggest you try syncing using cryptonited instead of Qt, it is more stable. Once you are fully synced you can switch back to Qt.

@GingerAle: it looks like http://cryptoncoin.com is still working. I have no idea why that would work but cryptonite.info will not work. I have opened a support ticket with my host so the main domain should be fixed soon.
legendary
do you guys have active links to any of the original documents that are linked to in the OP?
Activity: 186
Merit: 100

It was frustrating to barely get the wallet working; have tried different things, addnode added exactly as what said, deleted entire directory except wallet.dat and conf also, well but got the same issue! Any ideas? I guess many people would stop looking into this coin (or just me run into this issue?) if the wallet simply not working.
legendary
electronic [r]evolution
website and block explorer appear to be down
It's just the cryptonite.info server which is down, the explorer can still be accessed at http://206.72.193.148

@CRYPTONAIRE: I would recommend you just add the explorer node to your conf file:
Code:
addnode=206.72.193.148
Activity: 556
Merit: 501
I've downloaded the new Windows QT and opened the wallet, but no connections are found/wallet can't sync. Cry

I see that my XCN folder lacks a .conf file; I imagine its inclusion would help a lot. Roll Eyes

Can you please post a working XCN .conf file?? Grin

Thanks.

here I leave some nodes:

Code:
addnode=195.93.239.31
addnode=192.99.32.136
addnode=206.72.193.148
addnode=121.208.152.114
addnode=59.1.52.156
addnode=192.99.32.136
addnode=180.141.88.181
addnode=91.155.234.172