Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine - page 64. (Read 578501 times)

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Why is 1GH pool listed first on ANN Huh

They have around 90% of the network hashrate. Shouldn't they be listed last with giant red letters saying "Please mine anywhere but here"?
They are simply listed in the order they were created, gives a bit of incentive for new services to get in early.

That's quite a laissez-faire attitude to take. Isn't it possible that if that one pool was compromised they could wreak havoc on the blockchain? Is XCN not susceptible to double-spends or 51% attacks? Or even if someone just ddos'ed 1GH pool, then they could attempt double spends with relatively small hashrate?

I mean, I guess market cap isn't even in the top 100, so maybe it's not worth worrying about. Just kind of surprising to see no fucks given about one pool owning 90% of hashrate.
legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution

They have around 90% of the network hashrate. Shouldn't they be listed last with giant red letters saying "Please mine anywhere but here"?
They are simply listed in the order they were created, gives a bit of incentive for new services to get in early.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Is there any bounty on an open source pool (coinium/getblocktemplate/ xnonce, xnonce2 in msg)?

Possibly an official pool? Perhaps me/wolf0/xcn for 0.5%/0.5%/1%?

Btw transaction id (for hash) has a slight bug. Msg length is written twice (0808). Not a problem just something that should be noted.

Cryptonite Bounties:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cryptonite-bounty-thread-ideas-and-donations-for-important-projects-735970

Granted, it's not much. My holdings are too small to warrant a donation (at least for now)...
Cheers!
Activity: 85
Merit: 11
Is there any bounty on an open source pool (coinium/getblocktemplate/ xnonce, xnonce2 in msg)?

Possibly an official pool? Perhaps me/wolf0/xcn for 0.5%/0.5%/1%?

Btw transaction id (for hash) has a slight bug. Msg length is written twice (0808). Not a problem just something that should be noted.
Activity: 96
Merit: 25
The RAID in their server broke, twice I think.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8976343

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

Anyone know what happened to the mining pool theblocksfactory.com ?

Been mining XCN there and they just vanished with some XCN I might add.
 Angry

Activity: 288
Merit: 105
The big problem is reproducing the bugs. I have several nodes running that believe it or not have not crashed since launch. The assertion looks bad, but is not enough info. If somebody is willing to post logs and any terminal output it might help. There might be some private info in the logs and maybe we need an anonymizer for them. The easiest way to fix these things is to first get a volunteer who is able to reproduce problem easily and is willing to run test builds. Then we can work on locating problem and dealing with it.

It's my belief that QT is responsible for all things wrong in the universe and moving people to the php based gui is the way to go. This probably needs some polishing as far as install and maybe status things like sync progress.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
I had this same crash just overnight, but it was the 1st time for me. Sucks as I was solo mining, so that's that.  Undecided
In my case, all was fine by simply opening up the wallet again. It just sync'ed, is up-to-date, mining again, no issues at all.

As infrequent as such issues might be, they are critical in nature.
Bitfreak, Catia, if you've been looking into this, any progress?
Thanks for any update guys. Cheers!
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
Crashing started again for me. Now it crashes every few hours, more and more frequently. Only thing that solves it for a while is to completely resync which takes a looong time as it is only using 1 CPU core...

Same problem, can't sync at all, tried from scratch on two different computers.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
Crashing started again for me. Now it crashes every few hours, more and more frequently. Only thing that solves it for a while is to completely resync which takes a looong time as it is only using 1 CPU core...

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Mining instead of buying increases difficulty, which raises the price point at which others sell, because their mining costs increase.

ya just ask litecoin - they will confirm this  Cheesy

Wink  Yes they will.  Your smug sarcasm is entirely misplaced:   

Litecoin's market cap is 3x higher than it was a year ago, and second only to Bitcoin.

LTC enjoys far higher volume than any other altcoin and the security of a much higher network hashrate than any other scrypt coin.

If you want deep background on the price vs difficulty debate, check out cypherdoc's 'Gold down BTC up' thread.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
you forgot to mention that buying on an exchange helps driving the price up, so it's good for the coin.

Mining instead of buying increases difficulty, which raises the price point at which others sell, because their mining costs increase.

ya just ask litecoin - they will confirm this  Cheesy
legendary
you forgot to mention that buying on an exchange helps driving the price up, so it's good for the coin.

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
it doesn't make sense to mine at a loss anyway: better use the money you'd pay on electricity for buying the coins on an exchange: you get more coins!

Sending money to exchanges risks

-your bank closing your account and maybe stealing your money
-the exchange being robbed, having technical difficulties, or stealing your money
-something going wrong with the transfers, and your money being lost

If you don't want to be Goxed or Weexed, paying for electricity to mine is a nice safe choice because the coins never leave your possession.

There are counterparty risks with pools not present with solo mining, but having frequent automatic payments and keeping a near zero balance minimizes them.

XCN is so undervalued and has so much upside potential that risking funds just to be a cheapskate and save a few % is like picking up pennies in front of a bulldozer.

Mining XCN also helps secure the network, which counters the risk of a successful attack.

let's say there is need for both miners and buyers, but miners better pay very low electricity cost ;-)
legendary
it doesn't make sense to mine at a loss anyway: better use the money you'd pay on electricity for buying the coins on an exchange: you get more coins!

Sending money to exchanges risks

-your bank closing your account and maybe stealing your money
-the exchange being robbed, having technical difficulties, or stealing your money
-something going wrong with the transfers, and your money being lost

If you don't want to be Goxed or Weexed, paying for electricity to mine is a nice safe choice because the coins never leave your possession.

There are counterparty risks with pools not present with solo mining, but having frequent automatic payments and keeping a near zero balance minimizes them.

XCN is so undervalued and has so much upside potential that risking funds just to be a cheapskate and save a few % is like picking up pennies in front of a bulldozer.

Mining XCN also helps secure the network, which counters the risk of a successful attack.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
diff still too high for the profit, probably only miners with super cheap electricity or no electricity(which mean stealing) at all are mining, the latter can mine forever if they roi'ed, lucky them

Sometimes things go towards the direction unexpected, likely reason could be that these miners put efforts into mining and consider it as a long term investment that turns out their faith in the coin. That's good anyway.

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1009
Coin of the Magi!
diff still too high for the profit, probably only miners with super cheap electricity or no electricity(which mean stealing) at all are mining, the latter can mine forever if they roi'ed, lucky them

Sometimes things go towards the direction unexpected, likely reason could be that these miners put efforts into mining and consider it as a long term investment that turns out their faith in the coin. That's good anyway.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
Activity: 556
Merit: 501
What is the total supply of XCN going to be?

http://explorer.cryptonite.info/?page=stats

Specifications

- Block time: 1 per minute
- Block reward: changes every block (half life of 10 years)
- Max block size: changes every block (100 block average * 2)
- Difficulty adjustment: changes every block (1000 block filter)
- Coin supply: 2^64-1 units (1.84 billion coins, 10 dec places)
- Mining algorithm: M7 PoW
- Coin Maturity: instant
- Pre-mine: none
Pages:
Jump to: