Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite - NEW Thread | 1st mini-blockchain coin | Bounties! - page 96. (Read 215666 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I wonder if this is an opportunity to buy.  Cool

that would be great (if we had an exchange)  Cool

i hope the best to this coin and team.

Still hodling like a pro

We still have 3 exchanges: bx, nova and bter.
And bter is hong kong based, maybe will not be influenced by PBoC ban.
Bittrex or poloniex will be great, yobit can be a good start.
If @bitfreak! is back on the team, sky is the limit.
Activity: 968
Merit: 624
Still a manic miner

that would be great (if we had an exchange)  Cool

i hope the best to this coin and team.

Still hodling like a pro
Activity: 546
Merit: 257
Have you found the Yellow Sign?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
Maybe people will think that xcn is in a bad moment now.

It is but who isn't?

One thing is for sure, there will be some good buying opportunities ;-)

Again, thanks pallas and bitfreak (and btc38 too for reporting this)!

From btc38 website: "warning:It's rather risky to trade crypto-currencies. Please invest by what you are able to afford."
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
Maybe people will think that xcn is in a bad moment now.
But if you look from a different perspective you will see that this is probably not the case: the coin recently got many stability fixes and speedups, bitfreak is back to help me with coin development, we had external contributions to the code and new services, etc.
As soon as we sort out the exchanges situation together, things will look much better.
We value code and honesty of the people who work on the coin more than the current price. And, besides, price will go down and will go up again.
I think that the current price is not that much important: what really matters is the potential of the coin, what price it will be able to reach in the future.
legendary
I cannot really remember what was happening at that time but I don't think there was any active development on Cryptonite in that period and the block explorer was down, which is probably why it went unnoticed. I doubt the exploit had anything to do with wallet problems, the wallet has always been fairly buggy until recently, but many of those stability issues have been solved over the last few months.

Ok, thanks bitfreak and pallas for solving this problem so fast, 260 millions may be gone but for every seller there is always a buyer too.

I hope in xcn's case code really is the law...
legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
The first example of the attack can be seen in this block: http://xcn-explorer.selektion21.de/?b=1007085

That block was mined late June, did this exploit have something to do with wallet problems during summer? I mean there were speculations about bad nodes and stuff like that?

About chinese exchanges, they are all going to close down. Not sure how many of those are going to have a new life somewhere else than in mainland china but it's safe to say that btc38 and bter are going to be closed soon.
I cannot really remember what was happening at that time but I don't think there was any active development on Cryptonite in that period and the block explorer was down, which is probably why it went unnoticed. I doubt the exploit had anything to do with wallet problems, the wallet has always been fairly buggy until recently, but many of those stability issues have been solved over the last few months.
legendary
The first example of the attack can be seen in this block: http://xcn-explorer.selektion21.de/?b=1007085

That block was mined late June, did this exploit have something to do with wallet problems during summer? I mean there were speculations about bad nodes and stuff like that?

About chinese exchanges, they are all going to close down. Not sure how many of those are going to have a new life somewhere else than in mainland china but it's safe to say that btc38 and bter are going to be closed soon.

legendary
Black Belt Developer
Dumped whole month of mining at least have to pay electricity burned

Sorry for your choice, you will miss the price increase which will inevitably happen when we get back into a bigger exchange like poloniex or bittrex.
legendary
Black Belt Developer
meeeh this coins is just done...if u wanna safe coin algorit, its bether to start with new coin and new hipe P.
2many problems with this coin...trust is just lost...

I don't agree. XCN has unique features and is now more stable than ever. Plus, I find that the long history of the coin (almost 4 years) is a big plus, not a deficiency.
If you like pump and dump coins, which are abandoned after a couple months, then yes, you are better with another coin.
legendary
Activity: 1901
Merit: 1024
Dumped whole month of mining at least have to pay electricity burned
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
meeeh this coins is just done...if u wanna safe coin algorit, its bether to start with new coin and new hipe P.

Valid point.
Many of those 260m probably sold in btc38.
That's explains dumps of past days.
What you guys wanna do about that?

And any of you tried to withdraw xcn in btc38?
I can't do that . When I press withdraw bottom page goes to btc withdraw not xcn.

We provided the exchanges with the offending addresses. What they do I don't know nor can force them to do anything.

Could a burn address be created and get the exchanges to send locked coins to it?

This address is still showing astronomical amounts of coins???

CVPaxGgsteGgucAnzmA7EeTj5hzaLCfb7o

That's btc38 address. We can't block it because it contains funds of honest users as well.

Not block it, get them to send the known "fake / stolen " coins to a know burn address and take them out of circulation.
Activity: 247
Merit: 100
legendary
Black Belt Developer

I can't do that . When I press withdraw bottom page goes to btc withdraw not xcn.

We provided the exchanges with the offending addresses. What they do I don't know nor can force them to do anything.

Could a burn address be created and get the exchanges to send locked coins to it?

That's btc38 address. We can't block it because it contains funds of honest users as well.

legendary
Black Belt Developer

Activity: 196
Merit: 15

legendary
Black Belt Developer
1) It looks like the attacker spent most of the smaller outputs and left the massive outputs alone, the latest version should block those massive balances but I calculated they were able to get away with around 260 million XCN from the smaller outputs.
2) I also want to make it clear this bug has nothing to do with the mini-blockchain technology, the bug in the code was pretty obvious and quite easy to fix just by making some signed integers unsigned. Look at the latest changes on pallas's github to see exactly what we did to prevent this happening again.
1) 260ml is much. Even at 100satishi price.
2) It's not a good sign that "obvious" bugs are corrected with such price. Sad

1) as we said, that's the ceiling and we don't know how much of those funds are really accessible by the hacker, the real amount may be much less.
2) it's obvious when you know what it is :-) bitfreak had to create a blockchain analysis tool from scratch to detect the problematic blocks, then we had to find which bug in the code permitted such wrong blocks/transactions, then we had to fix it, then we had to make a tool to create raw transactions on testnet to see if the hole was in fact closed, etc. etc.
Activity: 728
Merit: 106
1) It looks like the attacker spent most of the smaller outputs and left the massive outputs alone, the latest version should block those massive balances but I calculated they were able to get away with around 260 million XCN from the smaller outputs.
2) I also want to make it clear this bug has nothing to do with the mini-blockchain technology, the bug in the code was pretty obvious and quite easy to fix just by making some signed integers unsigned. Look at the latest changes on pallas's github to see exactly what we did to prevent this happening again.
1) 260ml is much. Even at 100satishi price.
2) It's not a good sign that "obvious" bugs are corrected with such price. Sad
Pages:
Jump to: