Author

Topic: [Antminer S1 Sales open] Price changes daily, now 0.414 BTC for 180GH/s - page 126. (Read 346284 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
I need to order another psu for my 2 ants on the way.  Would you recommend a single 500w for each or just going with a 850 corsair?

If you have the money I'd go for a 850 gold.

M
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I need to order another psu for my 2 ants on the way.  Would you recommend a single 500w for each or just going with a 850 corsair?

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Bitcoin Evengelist
Just wanted to share an update on the 2 ants I received yesterday from bitmain, in case anyone wants to compare general stats... may be useful for you.

* Been running for 12+ hours now, clocked at 393 freq and hashing away at an average of 200GH each and I see 0.02962084 BTC at Eligius.

* Got an "x"  on one at 400 freq but went away. Not sure if it was lowering the clock to 393 that did it or multiple reboots. No "x" at the moment. HW errors went down at 393. Now averaging as - Ant 1: 0.43% and Ant 2: 0.26%.

* Temperatures are Ant1: 46C/41C and Ant2: 41C/44C. Have a Honeywell box fan pointed at them. Room temperature is 82F but these are near the window which is open and its 52F outside. The stock fans on the Ants running around 2100 rpm

Waiting for another to deliver on Monday.

The two ants running on an RM1000. I know I know PSU is upside down but it seems to be venting better this way

If you get more Ants, you can save yourself some money and run two off of a RM850. The RM850 can easily handle two over clocked Ants, so a RM1000 is overkill.

Hehe true. In this case, I already had the RM1000 from an older desktop. Corsair power supplies go a long way Smiley
Bitcoin Evengelist
Just wanted to share an update on the 2 ants I received yesterday from bitmain, in case anyone wants to compare general stats... may be useful for you.

* Been running for 12+ hours now, clocked at 393 freq and hashing away at an average of 200GH each and I see 0.02962084 BTC at Eligius.

* Got an "x"  on one at 400 freq but went away. Not sure if it was lowering the clock to 393 that did it or multiple reboots. No "x" at the moment. HW errors went down at 393. Now averaging as - Ant 1: 0.43% and Ant 2: 0.26%.

* Temperatures are Ant1: 46C/41C and Ant2: 41C/44C. Have a Honeywell box fan pointed at them. Room temperature is 82F but these are near the window which is open and its 52F outside. The stock fans on the Ants running around 2100 rpm

The two ants running on an RM1000. I know I know PSU is upside down but it seems to be venting better this way

Are you running the 2 pci-e off 1 physical cable?  I have one connection to my PSU that has 2 PCI-e off it. I was running this way but read it was bad so I switched to having one pci-e cable off 2 molex connectors.  Now I read that having the molex to pci-e isn't enough power and isn't safe.  What would be the best method of powering them?

Nopes, separate PCI-e cable for each blade (RM1000 has 8 PCI-e connectors - pretty generous)
I wouldn't recommend molex, not built for that much power
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

If you get more Ants, you can save yourself some money and run two off of a RM850. The RM850 can easily handle two over clocked Ants, so a RM1000 is overkill.
Bitcoin Evengelist

Move the PSU away from the hot exhaust air of the Ant, any other place would be better than what you have now ...

Yep already done
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
So hey, once i have an antminer set up, running , and adjusted,....
how long can i expect it to function properly before i have to re-tweak it?
...1hr?    1day?   1week?   1 month?    Undecided
id appreciate an inbox, would make it easier to find your reply,... thanx Grin

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

If that is the question then whenever you want.

NOPE... by retweak i did not mean overclock...
 if i leave the house and come back two weeks later.. will things still be running smoothly?

Bro with an Antminer you CANNOT go wrong.
Unless you do it intentionally.

Activity: 327

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

NOPE... by retweak i did not mean overclock...
 if i leave the house and come back two weeks later.. will things still be running smoothly?
legendary
Are you running the 2 pci-e off 1 physical cable?  I have one connection to my PSU that has 2 PCI-e off it. I was running this way but read it was bad so I switched to having one pci-e cable off 2 molex connectors.  Now I read that having the molex to pci-e isn't enough power and isn't safe.  What would be the best method of powering them?

I would not use the molex to PCIx to power an Ant.  The molex cables aren't designed to feed that kind of power.

I think using two PCIx on the same cable (without adapters) from the PSU should be fine.  The manufacturer intended them both to be used on a high end GPU, so you should be fine.

M

http://i.imgur.com/CgUMv60.jpg
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

Activity: 327
Activity: 254
Merit: 100

Move the PSU away from the hot exhaust air of the Ant, any other place would be better than what you have now ...
Bitcoin Evengelist
Anyone having really bad smells from the antminers? I had one running in my game room, and I got a horrible headache, could be cheap glue or something??  These things are going in my garage as soon as I have some wireless antennas.  Probably breathing in some mercury/glue mix.  

Yep there's a normal "electronics" smell for the first 6-8 hours; just keep the room well ventilated and it will go away.

That's the "new computer" smell.  It's a lot like the "new car" smell.  Computer geeks like it (to an extent), it means there's new equipment around. Smiley

M

+1
Bitcoin Evengelist

legendary
Anyone having really bad smells from the antminers? I had one running in my game room, and I got a horrible headache, could be cheap glue or something??  These things are going in my garage as soon as I have some wireless antennas.  Probably breathing in some mercury/glue mix.  

Yep there's a normal "electronics" smell for the first 6-8 hours; just keep the room well ventilated and it will go away.

That's the "new computer" smell.  It's a lot like the "new car" smell.  Computer geeks like it (to an extent), it means there's new equipment around. Smiley

M
Bitcoin Evengelist

If its too bad, check the power supply and cables.
I'm using a corsair 500w power supply.  One thing I did change last night was that I was running the pci-e off 1 daisy chain, it has 2 connectors.  I had ordered a molex to pci-e connector so I switched one pci-e connector on the units to one powered by 2 molex connectors.  Its probably safer like that.  Overall the unit is running very nice, I sold my scrypt mining setup and have more ants on the way.  
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

My guess, you also broke in a new (low cost?) power supply at the same time as your new Antminer.  It is the power supply.  I have not noticed a smell coming from any of mine until I put on a NEW power supply.  

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Ants do tend to give off a pretty bad smell when running.

Hopefully it's harmless and Bitmain didn't use anything that would give off harmful fumes given the completely exposed caseless design of the Ants.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would want to run Ants in an enclosed room that didn't have a constant supply of fresh air.
Jump to: