Author

Topic: [Antminer S1 Sales open] Price changes daily, now 0.414 BTC for 180GH/s - page 125. (Read 346284 times)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Really? I'm using four RM850s powering two Ants each overclocked to 375, and they all are running flawlessly.

I've used the CX750 to run two Ants, RM850 to run two Ants, Antec HCG-900 to power two Ants, EVGA 1300G2 to power three Ants, and Rosewill RBR1000-M to power two Ants. I really haven't had a bad experience powering Ants.

The only PSU I was a bit uncomfortable running two Ants with was the CX750 because it was drawing 850 Watts at the wall, but the PSU worked for a week or two until I was able to replace it with a better PSU.

In my experience, Ants aren't that picky about which power supply you use as long as it's not a complete piece of crap.

That's interesting, I have to do some more testing then for sure, to see if something else is wrong. I have some various PSUs, including a few CX750 but have not dared to try 2 x Ant's on those. Are you using US source voltage or EU? Although I guess that really shouldn't matter...

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
If you get more Ants, you can save yourself some money and run two off of a RM850. The RM850 can easily handle two over clocked Ants, so a RM1000 is overkill.

Can the RM850 really easily handle to OCd Ants? Maybe I am PSU-cursed but my RM850 could not reliably run even two non-OCd Ants.  Sad

Really? I'm using four RM850s powering two Ants each overclocked to 375, and they all are running flawlessly.

I've used the CX750 to run two Ants, RM850 to run two Ants, Antec HCG-900 to power two Ants, EVGA 1300G2 to power three Ants, and Rosewill RBR1000-M to power two Ants. I really haven't had a bad experience powering Ants.

The only PSU I was a bit uncomfortable running two Ants with was the CX750 because it was drawing 850 Watts at the wall, but the PSU worked for a week or two until I was able to replace it with a better PSU.

In my experience, Ants aren't that picky about which power supply you use as long as it's not a complete piece of crap.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Did anyone have to clean thermal paste off their recent antminers. I didn't do it this time; it seemed okay to touch and under a light ... but I wonder if I should put some arctic silver to use

actually, i have heard that excess thermal goo is frequently encountered, and saw a setup video where the new ant had it.. he said that it was common \... they are assembled in a hurry. better more than not enough, huh? IDK myself but the guy said that it did not affect operability.

That is correct. It does not affect operation however several members from the forum have encountered this issue and they had cleaned it.
Visit the setup & troubleshoot guide, you will find lots of info there.

Activity: 327
Merit: 250
Did anyone have to clean thermal paste off their recent antminers. I didn't do it this time; it seemed okay to touch and under a light ... but I wonder if I should put some arctic silver to use

actually, i have heard that excess thermal goo is frequently encountered, and saw a setup video where the new ant had it.. he said that it was common \... they are assembled in a hurry. better more than not enough, huh? IDK myself but the guy said that it did not affect operability.
Activity: 350
Bitcoin Evengelist
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Activity: 32
If you get more Ants, you can save yourself some money and run two off of a RM850. The RM850 can easily handle two over clocked Ants, so a RM1000 is overkill.

Can the RM850 really easily handle to OCd Ants? Maybe I am PSU-cursed but my RM850 could not reliably run even two non-OCd Ants.  Sad
Activity: 728
There's no such thing as DCHP  Grin
So hey, once i have an antminer set up, running , and adjusted,....
how long can i expect it to function properly before i have to re-tweak it?
...1hr?    1day?   1week?   1 month?    Undecided
id appreciate an inbox, would make it easier to find your reply,... thanx Grin

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

If that is the question then whenever you want.

NOPE... by retweak i did not mean overclock...
 if i leave the house and come back two weeks later.. will things still be running smoothly?

Bro with an Antminer you CANNOT go wrong.
Unless you do it intentionally.

OK... what happens when power is down for 5 min?.......   self ressurecting?
if i start up ten of these and leave for seven months,  how many will still be on the job when i return?

Yes, unless there's a problem with your power supply, an S1 will come back online and resume hashing.  Personally, I have all of my miners plugged into a UPS to prevent these small interruptions to mining.
thanx to the three of you for replies...
i'll be along with more dumb questions as things progress Cool

"what's the difference between dchp and a dipstick?"  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
The most important part is to look at the 12v rail for the PSU. Make sure it have at least 31 amps per S1 or it will blow. If you want to run 2 Ants find a PSU that can do 70 amps to give you some overhead.

Also, not all PSUs have one 12v rail.  If you get one that has multiple, be mindful of your wiring.

M
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Can I pay by credit card AntMiner S1?

Bitmain sells S1 priced in BTC.

Does your Credit Card pay out in BTC?

Activity: 728
The most important part is to look at the 12v rail for the PSU. Make sure it have at least 31 amps per S1 or it will blow. If you want to run 2 Ants find a PSU that can do 70 amps to give you some overhead.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Are you running the 2 pci-e off 1 physical cable?  I have one connection to my PSU that has 2 PCI-e off it. I was running this way but read it was bad so I switched to having one pci-e cable off 2 molex connectors.  Now I read that having the molex to pci-e isn't enough power and isn't safe.  What would be the best method of powering them?

I would not use the molex to PCIx to power an Ant.  The molex cables aren't designed to feed that kind of power.

I think using two PCIx on the same cable (without adapters) from the PSU should be fine.  The manufacturer intended them both to be used on a high end GPU, so you should be fine.
M
+1
 molex has only 1 yellow (12V) line, and is generally only safe for 50-80W (rated at 60W usually). A pci-e 6-pin has 3 12V lines so it can handle a lot more power.  Quality cables tend to be 16AWG or 18AWG and are needed if the antminer is going to draw 160-200W per port.

cheap chinese cables or molex-pci / atx-pci cables tend to be poor quality and often are 20AWG or even 22AWG (I has an atx-pci with 4->3 12V wires burst into flames in minutes. It was marked as 18AWG but during its autopsy the wiring looked like it was probably a 22AWG it was so thin) AVOID THESE

tldr; use one dedicated pci cable per antminer, and make sure its a good quality/brand
Activity: 350
Bitcoin Evengelist
I need to order another psu for my 2 ants on the way.  Would you recommend a single 500w for each or just going with a 850 corsair?

Better efficiency psu will save you some on the power bill if that's a concern for you. For me RM1000 saves roughly $6-7+ at 0.22 kwh in New York ... but its costly to buy. When I'm done with mining, this probably goes into a future desktop rig I'll build or an S2 Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1039
Anyone know what shopping cart bitmain using?
Sushi have the same but what is it?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
And your question is?
When can you overclock?
 if i leave the house and come back two weeks later.. will things still be running smoothly?
if i start up ten of these and leave for seven months,  how many will still be on the job when i return?

Unless your power supply is not capable of running the antminer fully, or you overclock it unstably (generally anything past 375MHz needs a bit of extra airflow) - these miners are rock solid.

If the power goes out and then comes back, they will boot up just fine. no lost settings, no weird smoke or errors.

Ive had mine run for weeks or even months without changing the settings - during that time there have been several power outtages and many (brief) internet disconnections. The miner resumes work once it has booted up (takes about 90 seconds) and has internet
Activity: 3
Can I pay by credit card AntMiner S1?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

Yes, unless there's a problem with your power supply, an S1 will come back online and resume hashing.  Personally, I have all of my miners plugged into a UPS to prevent these small interruptions to mining.

And your question is?
When can you overclock?

Jump to: