Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S1 Upgrade Kit - page 4. (Read 16012 times)

Activity: 361
Merit: 267
September 25, 2014, 06:39:14 AM
I've tried most of the frequencies from the default 325, 317, 350... I can't seem to get the unit to hash over 325 GHS, it seems to sit at 290 through 315.

Also, my miner isn't displaying temperature or the second fan speed.

Am I the only experiencing these issues?

I still have 3 more kits to upgrade and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have issues.
Upgraded 2 S1's to S3, neither shows the temp of the second fan.
By the way - why don't you upgrade the firmware from S1 to S3+?  - this is what Bitmain advises and others have done.  That would probably resolve the number of chains issue.

Cheers

I am running the latest S3 firmware...
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
September 25, 2014, 05:17:03 AM
I've tried most of the frequencies from the default 325, 317, 350... I can't seem to get the unit to hash over 325 GHS, it seems to sit at 290 through 315.

I still have 3 more kits to upgrade and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to have issues.
Upgraded 2 S1's to S3, neither shows the temp of the second fan.
By the way - why don't you upgrade the firmware from S1 to S3+?  - this is what Bitmain advises and others have done.  That would probably resolve the number of chains issue.

Cheers
Activity: 125
Merit: 12
September 24, 2014, 11:36:33 PM
I only see two chains on the unit I just ugraded. I'm assuming that you shouldn't see 4... But I'm having issues as well with mine.
Ya this is my second unit. The first one went fine. But this one isn't working and I'm sure it has something to do with the 4 chains. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.
September 24, 2014, 11:19:36 PM
I only see two chains on the unit I just ugraded. I'm assuming that you shouldn't see 4... But I'm having issues as well with mine.
Activity: 125
Merit: 12
September 24, 2014, 11:12:58 PM
having a problem with one of my s3 upgrade kits, does anyone know how to fix this? I think the issue is related to the fact that the miner status screen is showing 4 chains:
September 24, 2014, 10:35:13 PM

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
September 24, 2014, 09:42:40 PM
Listed as Up Coming now from bitmain direct.  Oddly, those I have saved in my shopping cart are still available to be ordered.  Would love to get a few more (have 2) since I still have some S1's staking up space. 
September 24, 2014, 09:37:35 PM
Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
mine just arrived today

Mine are coming Friday "i hope". UPS says they're going to CA and I live in Texas :| Anyone had that happen to them before with Bitmain?

UPS had to track me down because they didn't put my street address (number or name) on the delivery, just my name, city, state and zip... So, I got the kits tonight.

I upgraded 1 unit tonight and it's hashing, but not displaying heat values or second fan speed. Is this normal?  I use the latest S3 firmware.
Activity: 744
Merit: 514
gotta let a coin be a coin
September 24, 2014, 09:26:04 PM
Has anyone ordered any of these in the past week? Do you know if they are still in stock?  Thanks in advance.
I had such fun time upgrading a couple of S1's that I tried to order more upgrade kits today seeing as I have a pile of unused S1's in my basement. Unfortunately it appears like they are no longer selling them.
mine just arrived today

Mine are coming Friday "i hope". UPS says they're going to CA and I live in Texas :| Anyone had that happen to them before with Bitmain?
Activity: 9
September 24, 2014, 09:11:40 PM
Got all 6 of these upgrades in over the weekend. I have 3 of the kits installed all using the original S1 firmware on the controller card. I had to change the asic-freq values to make it work without the S3 firmware update, but these units are consistently hashing @ 500 GH/s. The drawback is that the ASIC listing on the Miner Status page in the GUI still expect 32 chips when there are only 16 values, but past that they work just fine.

I'm using the following settings in /etc/config/asic-freq

option 'freq-value'  '0982'  #250M
option 'chip-freq'    '250'
option 'timeout'      '16'

I was able to make the upgrades for each unit in about 1 hour. I did purchase thermal paste from a local source, then used an old credit card to scrape the old thermal paste off the S1 blades as I removed them. I then incorporated new thermal paste into the old and mixed it with a cotton swab. I used the mixture on each of the ASICs on the new S3 boards and they are all consistently running @ 39-42 C. Once I have the others done I'll post what stats they are running with before and after the S3 firmware updates.
Activity: 434
Merit: 105
September 24, 2014, 09:06:21 PM
mine just arrived today
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
September 24, 2014, 09:01:51 PM
Activity: 518
September 24, 2014, 05:35:18 AM
I'm a bit unhappy with Antminer ATM. I ordered (2) of the S1 rebuild kits back when they first came out. They're already expensive enough, but when I ordered their add said that it included a "bag" of thermal paste. Got them today, NO PASTE!! So I had to plunk down another .1 BTC to Newegg for the good paste and quick shipping. Oh! and they changed their advertisement "AFTER" they shipped my hardware. Real nice customer service Antminer. If you were an American company someone would probably sue you for false advertisement.
Okay, guess I'm done venting, but if you've ordered any of these you'll need thermal paste.

I wasn't expecting any thermal paste with the upgrade kits, so wasn't disappointed.  As any common hardware nerd, i always have some of this stuff around anyway....Smiley

Cheers
I used thermal pads on the chips (1 strip is 1mm thick, 11cm X 2cm) costing about GBP 1.00 and should be enough for 1 complete unit (2 boards). The one care that you need to take with heat-pads is once you have applied them to the chips (as I did rather than to the heatsink), you get one go at placing the heatsink on, else they'll stick to the heatsink in the wrong place and you have to remove them one-by-one  back onto the chips.
I did NOT add any extra paste on the larger heatsink (there was a little bit there to get my hands dirty!) and the unit is hashing away consistently at stock freq of 225 @ 450+ GH/s.
September 24, 2014, 05:22:02 AM
I'm a bit unhappy with Antminer ATM. I ordered (2) of the S1 rebuild kits back when they first came out. They're already expensive enough, but when I ordered their add said that it included a "bag" of thermal paste. Got them today, NO PASTE!! So I had to plunk down another .1 BTC to Newegg for the good paste and quick shipping. Oh! and they changed their advertisement "AFTER" they shipped my hardware. Real nice customer service Antminer. If you were an American company someone would probably sue you for false advertisement.
Okay, guess I'm done venting, but if you've ordered any of these you'll need thermal paste.

I wasn't expecting any thermal paste with the upgrade kits, so wasn't disappointed.  As any common hardware nerd, i always have some of this stuff around anyway....Smiley

Cheers
September 24, 2014, 05:19:20 AM
wifi wasn't a problem after i followed your steps and changed the ip its  hashing away 450+ now i can breath a sy of relief on my other s1's now and start doing them  Cheesy

cheers

Congrats,
Happy Hashing!!!
Activity: 395
Merit: 10
September 23, 2014, 04:07:44 PM

they updated the upgrade kit description before they shipped i asked them about it stop being retarded please they had problems with customs to send thermal paste its not their fault u din't read the memo
Activity: 17
September 23, 2014, 02:22:58 PM
Activity: 729
September 23, 2014, 09:59:33 AM
Should be possible to hash with just one board.  That's easy enough to test.  Just disconnect the one board and see how it goes.

I use WiFi on three of my upgraded S1's.   I will say that the hash rate is slower on these than wired.  Maybe around 40gh slower give or take.  But it is what it is, I'm not rewiring the house for those three units.  They still perform better than the S3's I originally bought. 

I don't own S3+ but I imagine they hash as well as the upgrades do.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
September 23, 2014, 09:14:43 AM
Well I bought 2 kits and upgraded one of my S1's without a problem.  The other S1 had issues when I restarted, the fan was blowing hard, getting up to 53C and finally dying. After removing the heatsink, I noticed the smell and brown spot on the white heat sink paste I used.  The box doesn't hash at all anymore due to this bad board most likely.

Is it possible to operate the S3 on a single blade by only powering that one?  I would rather get half the hash than no hash at all.
Activity: 6
September 23, 2014, 07:31:21 AM
wifi wasn't a problem after i followed your steps and changed the ip its  hashing away 450+ now i can breath a sy of relief on my other s1's now and start doing them  Cheesy

cheers
Pages:
Jump to: