Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S1 Upgrade Kit - page 6. (Read 16012 times)

Activity: 569
Merit: 500
September 20, 2014, 02:16:38 PM
Just received a reply from bitmain

Hi,
Please upgrade the firmware with S3's version:
https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633

make sure uncheck "keep settings". after upgrading, select the “miner configuration” tab. Select “advanced” and set the frequency at the default of 225M,  click “Save and apply”, all will be better.

Best Regards

BITMAIN

Sweet thanks!  Afraid I'd done something wrong on the install when everything looked tip top.

Would've been nice if they mentioned flashing the firmware on the video though...would've had them
hashing last night at 1am.

Oh, and for anyone considering the upgrade...you're better off underclocking and undervolting your S1's and paying the extra for the nicer looking (and less dangerous, the heat sink blades are sharp) S3's or at this point perhaps the S4 if you can budget it when they announce the price.  Your money will likely go further...we've now got a pile of s1 boards we're not sure what to do with yet...curious if we can build a large underclocked undervolted machine with multiple blades.

Only problem with the logic of keeping the s1 hashing and buying an s3 instead is....
You need a power supply for the S3 which is more $$$ spent. granted u need to spend $ for heatsink compound.
calling the heatsinks on the kits dangerous is a bit wacky.
buying an S3 and selling the S1 may be the best route but they are going for around $80 now and they are heavy so shipping is near $20.
so it comes down to convenience. the less bothersome route is the S3 upgrade kit and why I chose that route.
 Yeah they should be cheaper... but people who whine about prices gain nothing but wet faces.
They are selling so, the price complaint is pointless
Activity: 511
Hempire Loading...
September 20, 2014, 01:12:57 PM

Hi,

make sure uncheck "keep settings". after upgrading, select the “miner configuration” tab. Select “advanced” and set the frequency at the default of 225M,  click “Save and apply”, all will be better.

Best Regards

BITMAIN

Sweet thanks!  Afraid I'd done something wrong on the install when everything looked tip top.

Would've been nice if they mentioned flashing the firmware on the video though...would've had them
hashing last night at 1am.

Oh, and for anyone considering the upgrade...you're better off underclocking and undervolting your S1's and paying the extra for the nicer looking (and less dangerous, the heat sink blades are sharp) S3's or at this point perhaps the S4 if you can budget it when they announce the price.  Your money will likely go further...we've now got a pile of s1 boards we're not sure what to do with yet...curious if we can build a large underclocked undervolted machine with multiple blades.
Activity: 569
September 20, 2014, 12:18:28 PM
Mine are working just like they are s3's.
I flashed to the non gui frequency s3 firmware.

I have them all overclocked to 243 and they are hashing the same as my s3's same temperatures and much less hardware errors.
Probably because I applied the heat sink compound properly. Arctic Cool MX-4.
Activity: 251
Merit: 100
Du hast
September 20, 2014, 09:15:51 AM

Hi,

make sure uncheck "keep settings". after upgrading, select the “miner configuration” tab. Select “advanced” and set the frequency at the default of 225M,  click “Save and apply”, all will be better.

Best Regards

BITMAIN
Activity: 361
Merit: 267
September 20, 2014, 07:03:38 AM
Yeah, flash the firmware to the latest version for the S3 that Bitmain has on their support site.  That will get you going, it's working for me.

Thanks for the info, I just got confirmation that my upgrades shipped early this morning; I guess I should see them by the end of next week.
Du hast
September 19, 2014, 09:11:00 PM
Yeah, flash the firmware to the latest version for the S3 that Bitmain has on their support site.  That will get you going, it's working for me.

That was the ticket, antMiner_S320140826.bin and all is well.  Was terrified I'd brick the unit

Thanks!
Activity: 729
September 19, 2014, 08:23:05 PM
Activity: 729
September 19, 2014, 07:58:24 PM
I've been trying to search the board on this upgrade, I've completed 1 of 4, but am unable to get the unit hashing, I've sent email to bitmaintech, asking if there is a firmware update needed?  Has anyone alredy gone through this and could share some knowladge

Got mine today, assembled it, but lost it on the network.  Not sure yet, will let you know if I can get mine hashing...
Du hast
September 19, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
I've been trying to search the board on this upgrade, I've completed 1 of 4, but am unable to get the unit hashing, I've sent email to bitmaintech, asking if there is a firmware update needed?  Has anyone alredy gone through this and could share some knowladge
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
September 18, 2014, 07:06:47 PM
I thought it was supposed to come with a cover?

Nope:
https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002014081313175081722f1GeUO063F

S1 Upgrade Kit includes:

1.  2 units of hash boards

2.  2 units of mini customized heat sink

3.  1 unit of adapter board

4.  1 unit of control board holder

5.  1 fan including the fan's cover and screws

6.  4 units of white plastic brackets, 2 units of 2x10 pin cables, 8 screws, 8 spring screws

7.  You shall prepare our own thermal paste, which is easy to be ordered:
Thanks for the video, are your using the Philip screw ?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
September 18, 2014, 07:04:33 PM
maybe there is a reason they can't supply the paste customs who knows yea  they could have mounted it or offered that option. but one kit which you can order right from them not two  if the  poster who posted a how to  is right then  the price is right, i know that sounds cheesy .

I don't know yet I'm gonna try once i get two more 0.2 mind I'm gonna try to buy one not 2.  btw i started Ming about a month ago big time and now all most have that  first coin its  been a thrill for me .

Nothing cheesy about that, just a doubting Thomas!
Here's a shot of the account I used (even to get a single S3!)

awesome no doubting on my part i just don't want to confirm some thing i have not done yet . Smiley. unless you do some one else does with proof  Smiley .

and  cheesy I meant the saying the price is right .
Activity: 518
September 18, 2014, 05:54:25 PM
maybe there is a reason they can't supply the paste customs who knows yea  they could have mounted it or offered that option. but one kit which you can order right from them not two  if the  poster who posted a how to  is right then  the price is right, i know that sounds cheesy .

I don't know yet I'm gonna try once i get two more 0.2 mind I'm gonna try to buy one not 2.  btw i started Ming about a month ago big time and now all most have that  first coin its  been a thrill for me .

Nothing cheesy about that, just a doubting Thomas!
Here's a shot of the account I used (even to get a single S3!)

legendary
September 18, 2014, 05:44:23 PM
I thought they would at least mount the heatsinks on the new boards. When I saw they were going to offer
these kits. Now it doesn't seem like such a great deal.

they can't  because of how the upgrade works to me i rather they did not mount them  but as they prefect it and put out more upgrades well see better improvements in how do it etc .
my point is the price doesn't reflect the labor needed to reconfigure. but thats just my not so humble opinion.

I agree there are not really meant for the  newbie or user so to speak more for the DIY that don't  mind and want to save some money and re use old parts  for a time .

ok a but the paste is like 3 bucks paste and that a jar i ordered one off amazon.

Me I'm one Smiley.
Same here I wouldn't mind putting it together but hell attach the heatsinks and include the paste.
Or drop the price some more. I have enough paste to last me a lifetime but that isn't the point.

maybe there is a reason they can't supply the paste customs who knows yea  they could have mounted it or offered that option. but one kit which you can order right from them not two  if the  poster who posted a how to  is right then  the price is right, i know that sounds cheesy .

I don't know yet I'm gonna try once i get two more 0.2 mind I'm gonna try to buy one not 2.  btw i started Ming about a month ago big time and now all most have that  first coin its  been a thrill for me .
legendary
September 18, 2014, 05:43:15 PM
I thought they would at least mount the heatsinks on the new boards. When I saw they were going to offer

they can't  because of how the upgrade works to me i rather they did not mount them  but as they prefect it and put out more upgrades well see better improvements in how do it etc .
my point is the price doesn't reflect the labor needed to reconfigure. but thats just my not so humble opinion.

I agree there are not really meant for the  newbie or user so to speak more for the DIY that don't  mind and want to save some money and re use old parts  for a time .

ok a but the paste is like 3 bucks paste and that a jar i ordered one off amazon.

Me I'm one Smiley.
Same here I wouldn't mind putting it together but hell attach the heatsinks and include the paste.
Or drop the price some more. I have enough paste to last me a lifetime but that isn't the point.
Activity: 770
September 18, 2014, 05:31:29 PM

I agree there are not really meant for the  newbie or user so to speak more for the DIY that don't  mind and want to save some money and re use old parts  for a time .

Me I'm one Smiley.
legendary
September 18, 2014, 05:28:15 PM

to be very honest i have never seen such a good grade that uses all most of the old parts i was so impressed by thought and care they put into it i mean that .

Me I'm one Smiley.
September 18, 2014, 05:24:55 PM

legendary
September 18, 2014, 05:21:08 PM

they can't  because of how the upgrade works to me i rather they did not mount them  but as they prefect it and put out more upgrades well see better improvements in how to do it etc .
legendary
September 18, 2014, 05:16:08 PM
I wonder if that will make much difference in the temp compared to a real S3+

polly not just noise i would think it is actually a S3 but a upgrade kit with out a controller and a case. its is a real S3 just not the full  S3 .

Upgrades of any kind in my 20 years of  building PC etc are about the same .  all these are is a PC that are made to do one thing .
September 18, 2014, 04:32:56 PM
Pages:
Jump to: