Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 102. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

This is an ongoing issue with Bitmain in general. I too was just hit with a failed part, and the turn around on failed product WILL result in serious loss in mining payouts. There is an advantage to going with Bitmain for mining hardware, however due to their support on hardware with issues, you need to factor in as serious losses in revenue .

Yeah I've accepted that I will probably never reach ROI, and its very frustrating/depressing watching your investment go from bad to worse.

Bad to worse => to worser....

Got the blue screen of death.... S2 turns on but only getting a blank blue LCD display on the S2. I've re-imaged SD card but did nothing. Waiting for a Bitmain to reply for a RMA request.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
At a guess, the 'very low cost', would most certainly be having to buy an additional PSU, or several 1 kW PSUs ( for example ).

I would think it more likely that Bitmain will have an upgrade path to replace the cards with ones containing chips of a smaller process node (28nm).

If they are going to ship these out at 'very low cost', then yes, otherwise all those with current S2's will be incurring more than 'very low cost' to upgrade.
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
I did not expect that I have to reinsert the cards, but now it works. Hashing with avg 1006.35 GH/s.

After all the horror stories written throughout this thread, I have it on record in the forum that I would never own an S2 and thought Bitmain had lost it. Due to a weird set of circumstances (A fellow mining buddy in trouble, favors called in and a diverted order) today I nervously received a batch 4 S2.

First impressions were that the box was intact and the foam packaging looked pretty good. First thing of course was to unscrew the cover and check the cards ... none were out of their connectors, but ALL easily pushed down into position by a couple of mm to fit back into their sockets securely. The two rails that are supposed to keep them in place were a little high, so there was room for movement ... especially as the S2 had been packed upside down in the box! Also the screw holes in the holding rails had been drilled too big, so the screws had popped through.

So ... time to switch on ... and nothing. It powered up, but the fans continually ran at full speed and the display was blank.

I checked the display cable ribbon (looked OK), and then the Ethernet cable, which had slightly come adrift of the controller board.

Take two: switched back on ... and it has been hashing away fine ever since.

So Bitmain are getting there, still a few little tweaks maybe to protect these miners during shipping. Why not make the blades lock into position like PCIe cards?

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
At a guess, the 'very low cost', would most certainly be having to buy an additional PSU, or several 1 kW PSUs ( for example ).

I would think it more likely that Bitmain will have an upgrade path to replace the cards with ones containing chips of a smaller process node (28nm).
I'd agree with you there. Getting the existing cards to 200GH/s each is going to be impossible, even with a heatsink upgrade. That's the same rate as an overclocked S1, but the S1 has 8 of the TPS53355 regulators (one per 8 chips) while each S2 card has 4 (one per 16 chips). Not to mention having to deal with ~4kW of heat in a 4U chassis.

So how much extra does the case, PSU, and controller add to the total package? I'm wondering how much savings can be had here. This really does sound great, but if it produces a stack of old cards that has no resale value, the cost benefit of just buying cards would have to be better than that resale value.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

I'd agree with you there. Getting the existing cards to 200GH/s each is going to be impossible, even with a heatsink upgrade. That's the same rate as an overclocked S1, but the S1 has 8 of the TPS53355 regulators (one per 8 chips) while each S2 card has 4 (one per 16 chips). Not to mention having to deal with ~4kW of heat in a 4U chassis.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!

I agree, probably a card replacement, but also with fewer W/Gh, so the existing psu might suffice.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
Interesting.  Be able to overclock to 2 TH/s just buying an additional PSU for a couple hundred more.

If that's the case, I have to get me one of these!   Cool
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
Activity: 532
TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain
A short good news for the S2 buyer is that we will let the S2 to upgrade to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s at very low cost which you can only image now in the August or September. It still depends on many factors to let us achieve that and detailed plan needs to be drafted, But we are very confident that we can make it.

Just so we're clear, are you saying that you will provide a low cost way to overclock the current S2 to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s in August or September?

:-)

Did you think will take Bitmain 3 months to do OC?

Activity: 64
Merit: 10
And also to be clear, even though August or September is a lifetime away in this game....

are you planning on allowing 1.8 or 2 TH using the same 1000 watts of power, or 1800-2000 watts of power?

Activity: 742
A short good news for the S2 buyer is that we will let the S2 to upgrade to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s at very low cost which you can only image now in the August or September. It still depends on many factors to let us achieve that and detailed plan needs to be drafted, But we are very confident that we can make it.

Just so we're clear, are you saying that you will provide a low cost way to overclock the current S2 to 1.8TH/s or 2TH/s in August or September?
TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

Bitmain rocks!
Activity: 741
Merit: 514
https://www.bitmain.com
legendary
Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001
lol, newb.

wat is she hashing at now?
I did not expect that I have to reinsert the cards, but now it works. Hashing with avg 1006.35 GH/s.
legendary
Just received my first S2 today, but I am wondering that I do not get more than 600GH/s.

I already have the latest firmware installed. Do you have an idea what might be wrong?
Kind regards

You should have 10 blades listed, I only see six.  You should check to make sure all the blades inside your miner are connected securely.
Thank you, that was the problem Smiley
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
Just received my first S2 today, but I am wondering that I do not get more than 600GH/s.

I already have the latest firmware installed. Do you have an idea what might be wrong?
Kind regards

You should have 10 blades listed, I only see six.  You should check to make sure all the blades inside your miner are connected securely.
legendary

Kind regards
Merit: 269
New price for AntMiner S2 1 TH/s Miner Batch 4: 2459 USD each one, shipping cost included.

Glad to see you have improved the design of batch 4 and secure the cards during shipping.

Hopefully still as planned the 28nm chip is still due to hit early June 05 I think you said in email.

I hope that you ensure batch 1 will be shipped secure and full design is taken into consideration.

Anyway good progress with the S2 in deign wise - it may have taken you 4 batches just to get it going but hope customer will be happier to know that less chance of a brake in transit.

Roll on S3  Grin

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
just out of curiosity - has anyone calc'd what these need to cost to be 100% certain of a decent roi - not just breaking even

Well I'm a little more bullish on difficulty increases, given 11% per increase over the next few months.

Static:

Difficulty Increment: (?) 11%
Electricity Price: (USD/kWh) 0.1
Pool Fee: 2%
Hash Rate: (GH/s) 1000
Hardware Power: (Watts) 1000
BTC/USD: $433.989

@ $2000 Break even in 185 days, total profit before negative return kicks in: 0.314BTC
@ $1900 159 days, 0.57BTC
@ $1800 145 days, 0.8BTC
@ $1700 132 days, 1.033BTC
@ $1600 119 days, 1.263BTC

etc etc
Jump to: