Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 117. (Read 355730 times)

donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
How can the unit draw 1Kw and only have a 1Kw PSU ?

PSU`s have safety margin of 10-20% so it is able to provide more than the rated 1000W but not for very long.
Lifetime of the PSU can be reduced by 500%

Cheers
ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Whonesta, could you post a picture of the 6 S1's in the 4U case?

Top fans have been reversed since this image and wiring is adjusted to mount in cabinet...  Also once I got to DC I realized I could max out the horizontal spacing.

Nice...really good job, buddy...!

Thanks for sharing ...
Activity: 379
I was planning to run a Neptune so I had built a custom DC bus to allow for 900A of 12V, as it became clear KnC would fail the S1's came in nicely to fill the load. Nothing against the ATX PSU's, I just prefer to have hot swappable, tunable power.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Hard to argue with the S1's being cheaper, I clocked one of my S1's down to 200 which brought speed down to 107 GH/s but also dropped power to equivalent with S2's W/GH. Knowing that it would seem S1's will be viable just as long as S2's. That is unless mod'ing can get us more then 1100 reliably. As far as rack space goes, I have been able to mount 6 antMiners within a 4U case, reversing the fans on "hotside" of cabinet, cut the BLUE wire to fans, and have seen NO meaningful heat differences between "coldside" and "hotside" of the cabinet. To be clear I am running 6 S1's within the same vertical foot print as 1 S2, so even when the time comes to under clock the S1's, the S1's will produce 1200 GH/s for the same 4U's..

Ordering another 208V/30A whip today!  

that would be interesting to see.--------------quicker then  me thanks for the photo

I have some shelving that allows 4 across I then use 2 psu's above that.

Top fans have been reversed since this image and wiring is adjusted to mount in cabinet...  Also once I got to DC I realized I could max out the horizontal spacing.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
Hard to argue with the S1's being cheaper, I clocked one of my S1's down to 200 which brought speed down to 107 GH/s but also dropped power to equivalent with S2's W/GH. Knowing that it would seem S1's will be viable just as long as S2's. That is unless mod'ing can get us more then 1100 reliably. As far as rack space goes, I have been able to mount 6 antMiners within a 4U case, reversing the fans on "hotside" of cabinet, cut the BLUE wire to fans, and have seen NO meaningful heat differences between "coldside" and "hotside" of the cabinet. To be clear I am running 6 S1's within the same vertical foot print as 1 S2, so even when the time comes to under clock the S1's, the S1's will produce 1200 GH/s for the same 4U's..

ZiG
Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the S2's at the $2199 price even?  I'm tempted to if BTC reaches $480+ in the next few days.... thoughts?

$2199?  They are currently listed at $2599.

Alot of people who previously purchased an antminer s1 or s2 got a $400 coupon for a future order.

Ah, sure enough.  I initially saw a $100 coupon for an S2.  Looking again, they are now $400 coupons.

Yep...$2,599 - $400 = $2,199 ...or 4.93 BTC at the moment...

But we can buy 5 x S1 for 2.5 BTC...or almost 10 x S1 for the price of one S2 right now... Wink

I should wait for S2 price to come down ...like $1.599 ...by the end of May maybe... Wink

Cheers,

ZiG
If Bitmain would release the spec sheets of the boards someone would probably figure out some overclocking pencil mod, which would improve sales a little, I'm sure  Wink

1100GH is possible without pencil modding and 1.1% error rate. any frequency settings higher, and the error rate is over 2% and the unit can even fail offline and need a power cycle (not sure if the unit or the psu caused this).

I think with the correct resistors identified you could get up to 1400GH/2100W, but probably not without pci entenders and much more cooling. 1280GH (~250MHz, ~1600W) is probably the most you could achieve with pencil modding while keeping all the components in the case with the lid on.

$2200 with coupon is not a bad price. for those who have limited space or larger farms it is better than most of the competition products. For those with shelving units and more space though, the S1 makes a lot of sense and can be undervolted/clocked when the time comes in 1-2months to improve the efficiency and keep them profitable for a few extra difficulty jumps

+1 for S1...that's my plan...2TH of S1's now...1.5TH with reduced power later...like by 4-th of July...

After that...who knows...we'll see... Wink
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the S2's at the $2199 price even?  I'm tempted to if BTC reaches $480+ in the next few days.... thoughts?

Alot of people who previously purchased an antminer s1 or s2 got a $400 coupon for a future order.

Ah, sure enough.  I initially saw a $100 coupon for an S2.  Looking again, they are now $400 coupons.

But we can buy 5 x S1 for 2.5 BTC...or almost 10 x S1 for the price of one S2 right now... Wink

I should wait for S2 price to come down ...like $1.599 ...by the end of May maybe... Wink

Cheers,

ZiG
If Bitmain would release the spec sheets of the boards someone would probably figure out some overclocking pencil mod, which would improve sales a little, I'm sure  Wink

1100GH is possible without pencil modding and 1.1% error rate. any frequency settings higher, and the error rate is over 2% and the unit can even fail offline and need a power cycle (not sure if the unit or the psu caused this).

I think with the correct resistors identified you could get up to 1400GH/2100W, but probably not without pci entenders and much more cooling. 1280GH (~250MHz, ~1600W) is probably the most you could achieve with pencil modding while keeping all the components in the case with the lid on.

$2200 with coupon is not a bad price. for those who have limited space or larger farms it is better than most of the competition products. For those with shelving units and more space though, the S1 makes a lot of sense and can be undervolted/clocked when the time comes in 1-2months to improve the efficiency and keep them profitable for a few extra difficulty jumps
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!

Cheers,

ZiG
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

Cheers,

ZiG

This is true, but don't discount the price of reliable power and space for the S1s in your calculations.  It depends on the environment these devices are going into, as well as the bottom line.  5 S1s are cheaper, even with additional PSUs, but the management of these devices is greater as well.  Pro and cons on both sides!
ZiG

Cheers,

ZiG
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
S2 ROI for batch 4?
Activity: 95
Merit: 0

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
They should update your account for a coupon, there is some discussion as to how long it takes.
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased the S2's at the $2199 price even?  I'm tempted to if BTC reaches $480+ in the next few days.... thoughts?
$2199?  They are currently listed at $2599.

I did--I had a few slots free up at my DC, so in it goes!
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

I bought an s2 recently.  I did not get a coupon.  How do you access to the coupon?
Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

Activity: 95
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
First overnight report of my Batch 3 running on stock settings, stock firmware and stock power supply. Hashing at 1025 to 1080GHs solid, no beeps or loss of power.

Batch 3 S2 replaced 5 BE Blades running on a backplane Smiley and heat output is significantly less. Compare that to 50GHs on 5 BE Blades with just about 80% of a S2 power consumption and twice is much heat.

I'm happy with my S2 so far, it is a little loud though but I can live with that.

thats really good speeds - my batch 2 ran at something like 980GH stock.  did they change something for batch 3, such as a higher frequency or slightly increased voltage?
Jump to: