Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 206. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Can't really base this on much, as apple to apple comparison shows that no doubt BITMAIN's S2 looks to be a great box, but I can't help the feeling that re-using the 55nm chip is a bit "old tech re-factored". While one S2 will generally be more effective than equivalent GH/s of S1 AntMiners, the S2 just feels a bit pricey at the current prices due to the chosen approach and position in the newly changed market (Spondoolies "ultra cool" form factor and Chinese A1 copycat manufacturers supposedly selling 1TH/s at $3000 now).

When comparing physical density 1.25U (Spondoolies) vs. 4U (BITMAIN) the newcomer takes a clear lead, but it will be interesting to see BITMAIN's 28nm setup as it becomes available.

I'd be surprised if BITMAIN wouldn't drop the S2 price to position themselves more favourably.

Mature tech isn't neccesarily bad. For instance they've managed to provide a lot more chips for the same money and so are able to run them at low voltages to achieve similar W/GH as the next gen, but with the benefit of lower costs, ramped up production capacity and consistency.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Well they both sold out first batches.. so I guess market is still pretty good for both offerings. Why would you drop the price if demand is good?

True that. Except a miner in May is not quite the same as one in March/April. But people will probably still buy they them since the are damn sexy.  Cool
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Well they both sold out first batches.. so I guess market is still pretty good for both offerings. Why would you drop the price if demand is good?
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Can't really base this on much, as apple to apple comparison shows that no doubt BITMAIN's S2 looks to be a great box, but I can't help the feeling that re-using the 55nm chip is a bit "old tech re-factored". While one S2 will generally be more effective than equivalent GH/s of S1 AntMiners, the S2 just feels a bit pricey at the current prices due to the chosen approach and position in the newly changed market (Spondoolies "ultra cool" form factor and Chinese A1 copycat manufacturers supposedly selling 1TH/s at $3000 now).

When comparing physical density 1.25U (Spondoolies) vs. 4U (BITMAIN) the newcomer takes a clear lead, but it will be interesting to see BITMAIN's 28nm setup as it becomes available.

I'd be surprised if BITMAIN wouldn't drop the S2 price to position themselves more favourably.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
Hey Bitmain, can you please check your PM or webmaster email. Have an issue with an order I placed last night and the payment being snail mailed soto speak (slowly making it's way to the BTC address).
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
wish these miners were more reasonably priced. Seems like a lot of money for 1th with this difficulty and once these are released the difficulty is going to start going up high again (20%+). Unless the price of bitcoin goes up quickly I do not see a value in buying these.
SVK
Activity: 378

Factory price of 1TH Dragon miner is down to 17500yuan thats roughly 2800$ ex. shipping. Discounts given to large orders. Shipping out before April. They do ship out directly i wish they would go Bitmain way and open overseas sales website, they do the shipping anyways why not do the sales.

Read with Chrome and translate.

http://www.lketc.com/goods/show-358.aspx

http://www.lketc.com/goods/35.aspx

Is it possible to order from them directly ?
Activity: 504

Factory price of 1TH Dragon miner is down to 17500yuan thats roughly 2800$ ex. shipping. Discounts given to large orders. Shipping out before April. They do ship out directly i wish they would go Bitmain way and open overseas sales website, they do the shipping anyways why not do the sales.

Read with Chrome and translate.

http://www.lketc.com/goods/show-358.aspx

http://www.lketc.com/goods/35.aspx

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
If you split across enough pools you can't ever have bad luck. 

Well not exactly but you can reduce variance. But you also miss out on individual pool good luck streaks.

but you can also miss out an individual pool bad luck streaks.
The network isn't exactly a zero sum game. Every pool could have a bad luck streak at the same time, so you can't get away from it.

True. I should have said you minimize your bad luck (and good luck as someone else pointed out)

No you're not at all, you're still exposed to the same good or bad luck of mining. What you ARE reducing the exposure of is the 'bad performance' of the pool itself, ie mismanagement or issues or orphaned blocks.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Well not exactly but you can reduce variance. But you also miss out on individual pool good luck streaks.

The network isn't exactly a zero sum game. Every pool could have a bad luck streak at the same time, so you can't get away from it.

True. I should have said you minimize your bad luck (and good luck as someone else pointed out)
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Activity: 784
Glow Stick Dance!

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Activity: 784
Glow Stick Dance!
Will stick to my S1 x 12 set up paid average 1.1BTC. Over the past month they have produced at least 5 BTC  (2.16TH)

Not a single issue with any of the S1's very stable quite and low consumption.

Like the S2 but not interested at the minute bit too high in price and a few unknowns

Will it as stable and reliable as the S1?

Whats the import duty?

Noticed the S1 price has started to move up 0.92 2 days ago 0.988 today

Bottom line is time = money waiting upto a  month to start hashing with S2 would cost me $3600

I have a similar setup of S1's...Which pool are you mining at, buddy...?

Was with BTC Guild but changed to GHash as it seem to be much better. Very big pool.  

Happy with GHash but might split and have 3 pools with 4 ants in each. Need to research more

Splitting your hash seems to a good idea especially with so many pools suffering from bad luck.  I had been splitting my 3THs between BTCG, Eligius and GHash. But Eligius' payout issues have scared me away for now.  Plus their looney-tunes religious fundamentalism doesn't jibe with my beliefs.

Edit:  looks like my late batch 2 order failed.  Sad
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Will stick to my S1 x 12 set up paid average 1.1BTC. Over the past month they have produced at least 5 BTC  (2.16TH)

Not a single issue with any of the S1's very stable quite and low consumption.

Like the S2 but not interested at the minute bit too high in price and a few unknowns

Will it as stable and reliable as the S1?

Whats the import duty?

Noticed the S1 price has started to move up 0.92 2 days ago 0.988 today

Bottom line is time = money waiting upto a  month to start hashing with S2 would cost me $3600

I have a similar setup of S1's...Which pool are you mining at, buddy...?

Was with BTC Guild but changed to GHash as it seem to be much better. Very big pool.  

Happy with GHash but might split and have 3 pools with 4 ants in each. Need to research more

Activity: 434

I do like the look of that. and how unusual to see videos, full spec and real people promoting the product.
Activity: 252
Still have room for some S2's!

Awesome setup, very well done.
Jump to: