Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 203. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
You should be able to balance the AC between the office and warehouse using automatic dampers. That might require a bit of HVAC contractor work, but the cost should be reasonable.

Where did you build it that the rent is $300?

its a small space that is unused in a friends small business. I just pay a little bit of 'rent' and covcer the power costs of what i am using.

In the bigger picture, its a testbed where I can scale to 15-20kW before moving to a much larger space
Is this the current collective site?

to an extent. the collective concept was more geared towards a facility with 20kW+ capacity and with bitcoin miners being more expensive (ie: fewer).

This location has 18kW available to me, but I don't know whether the AC can handle that much added heat in a limited area, and I suspect that it may be difficult to go above 10-12Kw during the summer, and with 6kW in place by mid-april, it leaves much less space for hosting options until I move to a larger location or can actually use 18kW or more without heat limitations

If it is a question of the small area, just get a big fan. That will help with hotspots anyway. Obviously if the AC in the entire space is at capacity you will still need to limit your power load.
^Thats my concern. Airflow is pretty good, it actually has a reasonable updraft through the grated flooring of cooler air from the storage area below. this blows through the miners into the rest of the area - so local exhaust is not an issue

The concern is the 600V Air Conditioning system which is dispersed through the entire warehouse area and the office area. Its not known whether the AC will be capable of
1) Cooling the warehouse area with the miners without creating extremely cold conditions in the office area
2) cooling over 18kW of heat from the mining rigs.

I know just how much heat comes from 6kW. since ive installed it the gas heater went from firing up 5min every 15min to 5 min every 30min.  Its entirely conceivable that the maximum power i can use without disrupting the overall climate control will be 10-12kW during the heat of summer - but without finding out what the exact system setup/specs are (i doubt anyone in the business would now, since its part of a multi-business plaza) i may have to wait and see while building up the collection as i can.

Unfortunately, there is no real ability for me to access the outside to install secondary cooling/ventilation paths from my location so the AC is probably the limit
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

its a small space that is unused in a friends small business. I just pay a little bit of 'rent' and covcer the power costs of what i am using.

In the bigger picture, its a testbed where I can scale to 15-20kW before moving to a much larger space

to an extent. the collective concept was more geared towards a facility with 20kW+ capacity and with bitcoin miners being more expensive (ie: fewer).

This location has 18kW available to me, but I don't know whether the AC can handle that much added heat in a limited area, and I suspect that it may be difficult to go above 10-12Kw during the summer, and with 6kW in place by mid-april, it leaves much less space for hosting options until I move to a larger location or can actually use 18kW or more without heat limitations

If it is a question of the small area, just get a big fan. That will help with hotspots anyway. Obviously if the AC in the entire space is at capacity you will still need to limit your power load.
^Thats my concern. Airflow is pretty good, it actually has a reasonable updraft through the grated flooring of cooler air from the storage area below. this blows through the miners into the rest of the area - so local exhaust is not an issue

The concern is the 600V Air Conditioning system which is dispersed through the entire warehouse area and the office area. Its not known whether the AC will be capable of
1) Cooling the warehouse area with the miners without creating extremely cold conditions in the office area
2) cooling over 18kW of heat from the mining rigs.

I know just how much heat comes from 6kW. since ive installed it the gas heater went from firing up 5min every 15min to 5 min every 30min.  Its entirely conceivable that the maximum power i can use without disrupting the overall climate control will be 10-12kW during the heat of summer - but without finding out what the exact system setup/specs are (i doubt anyone in the business would now, since its part of a multi-business plaza) i may have to wait and see while building up the collection as i can.

Unfortunately, there is no real ability for me to access the outside to install secondary cooling/ventilation paths from my location so the AC is probably the limit
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Activity: 254
Merit: 100
There is one week left until shipping and still no sign of the final product.
Not even a photo !
I find this alarming.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
2x 30a, 120v - $1075/month. Full cabinet.

so about 6kW + space? thats pretty reasonable, a lot of places i looked wanted about $1100-$1300.  I ended up building my own space with rack shelving that has up to 18kW available (0.15/kwh) and rent is $300/month

How much of the kW are you using and what are you using for cooling.  I'm running 26 S1's overclocked right now and found out the hard way on what it takes to keep them cool.  I plan on getting a few s2 whenever Batch 3 opens up but would never place more than 5 evenly spaced in a cabinet. I would worry about 10 x 1kw machines on top of one another.
legendary
ASIC Wannabe

Activity: 52

thanks for your input..but I can't see the picture..
how much did you spend on electrician?  I got quote for 100amp sub-panel installation & Material for $1100
Activity: 144
any one open group buy for antminer S2?
Activity: 360
Merit: 120
Hi,
When you start pre order BATCH 3 ?
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

Activity: 486
Merit: 262
rm -rf stupidity
Also from having to run a night with just 2 circuits 16 Ants @ 375MHz setting on DELL ZP750's pulls 27 amps under full load (using meter on the box itself).  Was not a good feeling when I saw that.  Tried to balance what I could.
Activity: 486
Merit: 262
rm -rf stupidity
In the process of looking at other options for our current setup that will be removing (Ants first) and continue growing fast.

16 Antminer S1's
8 KNC Jupiters (4 Oct / 4 Nov)
1 Dragon Miner (should be 3 total next week).

I have 4x 30A 240V circuits with load spread out.  Cooling is becoming the issue since where I have them was designed to cool us while working on our cars not runnning bitcoin miners LOL.
legendary
ASIC Wannabe

legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Yes I had previously done that calculation as well. The only thing I can think of is if you are (or maybe your employer is) already paying for a rack that is underutilized power-wise but has a little space left you can add a few of the miners.

I couldn't give a rats ass about nanometers or "sexy" miners (seriously you guys need to get out more). All I care about is price, delivery, reliability, hash rate, and power usage.

Obviously, I don't have to agree with you 100% (except for the part that I should get out more).. but you're right on the money with that fact that the ASIC doesn't need to look "pretty". To get the job done is the right attitude and it's not like we'd look like poster boys ourselves either.

Furthermore, it left me thinking about the 1.25U competitor.. If they consume between 1.2 - 1.35kW power, why bother with such a small factor (and risk with not being able to dissipate the heat effectively, hence more noise for fans spinning at max)? Yes, it is the coolest looking kid on the blockchain, but as most Data Centers can normally only facilitate up to between 8 to 12 kW of power per rack (including the equivalent in cooling), where lies the benefit in 1.25U when you can only fit 10 of those into a 42U rack maximum, leaving 70% of the rack unpopulated from a density point of view? Data Centers that could facilitate more power are few and far between.

In this sense, BITMAIN seems to be spot on with the sizing - but it does come down to the price and how well they can position themselves on the market. No doubt more competition is coming and the big names of the past are looking to regain their position.

What sort of servers are used that have higher densities of power than the usual rack? (fitting with the scenario you suggested above).

there are examples of server racks that are 3 antminers/4U = >30 antminers or 12kW.  I assume with enough airflow the high power demand can be handled. Most racks though are not often equipped with more than 1 or 2 6" PDU units, generally capable of 4-6kW each depending on the outlet style.  However, adding another PDU or simply employing multiple shorter but equally powerful PDUs would at least deliver power to the rack.

Its also quite possible not many datacenters expect such power density, and may not have enough available outlets per rack even if airflow/cooling are not a limitation

The 2 DC that I'm in are completely modular, I can order multiple 60A 3-phase connections if I wanted, so power density isn't an issue. I currently have 2 30A 208v single phase per rack, which is enought for 27 S1's overclocked, and the plan will be for 10 S2's. Depending on the DC and their rules, you may be able to go above the 80%, at mine, the only thing I lose is the uptime guarantee if I trip my own breaker.

2 of these gives you a 10KW rack

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120346

That PDU doesn't take up very much space. If density required it, 4, 6 or even 8 is completely feasible, however if you're running a 40KW rack, you'll probably want to think about 3-phase.

May I ask how much a 30A 208V line costs per month in your DC?

$585/mo
legendary
ASIC Wannabe

so about 6kW + space? thats pretty reasonable, a lot of places i looked wanted about $1100-$1300.  I ended up building my own space with rack shelving that has up to 18kW available (0.15/kwh) and rent is $300/month

how did you build out?  can you share with us?  I am thinking about doing same thing..

you cant see two of the outlets in this photo. I have 4 antminers in the stacked black crates at the side that i will probably unpack into the shelves on tuesday, as well as 3 more antminers on the way.  The L21-20 socket was stupidly expensive - i would not use it again - stick with L6-30 outlets and a 5-20 duplex if you have anything that CANT use 220V

The shelf was $50, the network switch was $10, and i got most of the 10ft lan cables for free or $0.50 each. The C13-C14 power cables cost about $3-5 depending on length.
Activity: 52

how did you build out?  can you share with us?  I am thinking about doing same thing..
legendary
ASIC Wannabe

legendary
ASIC Wannabe
I had an electrician wire up 2x L6-30 sockets (30A 213V) and an L21-20 (20,20,20A 120V) for my space, giving me about 10kW of usable 213V and 6kW of 120V.
I PDU per outlet
I dont get the 20,20,20A 120v socket, I mean the whole three 20 thing.

Its a 5-pin outlet (L,L,L,N,G) so there are 3 phases of 120V available on the same power strip
Activity: 130
Agree, I detest this "Batch x, shipping on yy of month" crap.

Either have stock or don't. That'd be more the kind of way we've grown to expect BITMAIN to do business. Besides, it was fun.

Jump to: