Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 202. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
This isn't strictly a preorder as its more so to do with physical capacity. Every day those miners aren't mining costs them $$$, but to have in hand hardware in significant quantity they'd have to put them in a dedicated 500KW farm - but only for a few weeks. That just doesn't make sense.

Instead they're attaching buyers to them as they roll off the production lines of confirmed, known to be working architecture and hardware. A preorder is where you give someone money, they take a gamble with it and hope the outcome is what is expected.

I suspect...

S1 in stock because they are probably liquidating their old farm.

S2 on pre-order because that's what they are replace it with.

Simple  Wink

Why would they do that, its the same chips? If they wanted to replicate S2s they'd just underclock their S1s and push them closer together Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

I suspect...

I agree ... I have received recent Ants that had been used ... removing the fans showed a lot of dust, and I had to clean them ... but they hash away and work fine, so I'm happy.

grab an air duster can - youll be able to blow away all the dust and other crud with minimal work. Also works well from desktop/GPU/laptop systems to clear out the dust that accumulates over weeks or months (most of my gpu heatsinks released a small cloud of dust when blasted)
legendary
dogiecoin.com
This isn't strictly a preorder as its more so to do with physical capacity. Every day those miners aren't mining costs them $$$, but to have in hand hardware in significant quantity they'd have to put them in a dedicated 500KW farm - but only for a few weeks. That just doesn't make sense.

Instead they're attaching buyers to them as they roll off the production lines of confirmed, known to be working architecture and hardware. A preorder is where you give someone money, they take a gamble with it and hope the outcome is what is expected.

Dogie, is there a plan for you to receive an S2 in advance to write a review and set-up guide?
I'm not sure which batch my unit went into due to the payment issues. No point spamming them with emails at the moment so will just have to wait and see.
Activity: 471
Merit: 250

I suspect...

I agree ... I have received recent Ants that had been used ... removing the fans showed a lot of dust, and I had to clean them ... but they hash away and work fine, so I'm happy.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500

I suspect...

S2 on pre-order because that's what they are replace it with.

Simple  Wink

Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!

... and the bonus with this 'pre-order' is; you know you're getting brand new equipment that hasn't already been mining in a farm for a couple of weeks  Cheesy
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Dogie, is there a plan for you to receive an S2 in advance to write a review and set-up guide?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Might just buy one of these.... very tempted... Mind you I did just buy 3 more S1 ant miners hehehe.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

I really hope Bitmain goes back to selling in stock hardware for the next batch of S2s. I really don't like this pre-order bullshit.

Ordering the S2 a month before it ships puts too much risk on the buyer due to difficulty and Bitcoin price fluctuations.

What happened to only selling in stock hardware, Bitmain?

I totally agree I hate preorder.

Don't get me wrong guys, I hate to pre-order especially if I have to wait 2 - 6 months but Bitmain allowing pre-orders for less than a month before release which is better than waiting for Neptune, Mars or whatever it is called these days...

But once Batch 1 is released, I am sure someone will release their review / guide and other people will share their photos and experiences with the machine.

Also S2 will be cheaper by each batch... ( I hope  Roll Eyes )
Activity: 112
I really hope Bitmain goes back to selling in stock hardware for the next batch of S2s. I really don't like this pre-order bullshit.

Ordering the S2 a month before it ships puts too much risk on the buyer due to difficulty and Bitcoin price fluctuations.

I totally agree I hate preorder.
Activity: 69
First Batch sold out in less than 24 hours... People started asking about Batch 2, after fews days that was sold out too... Now people are asking about Batch 3... People complain about pre-orders yet all of these companies are selling out in matter of hours or days...

I'm sure there are many more people like me who want to see pictures and read reviews before buying.
I believe Bitmain to be trustworthy, but I'd rather keep buying a "known quantity" like the ant s1 until I can evaluate what real people are getting on S2 hash and power consumption. Bitcoin mining has enough risk to satisfy my adventurous side with trading for what's behind door number 2.  Roll Eyes
legendary
ASIC Wannabe
The first ones are due to ship at the end of this week, or next monday. I imagine we will see more details very soon as bitmain does the final assembly,testing, and shipment for all the units

Well I am hoping they will actually ship before 1st April, like by few days before :-) I just hope they will send me a t-shirt or something cos number of Bitcoins I have sent them is equal to GDP of a small country...

First Batch sold out in less than 24 hours... People started asking about Batch 2, after fews days that was sold out too... Now people are asking about Batch 3... People complain about pre-orders yet all of these companies are selling out in matter of hours or days...
+1  I got in batch 2 but would not buy a batch 3 without seeing some proof of concept when batch 1 finally ships out.

hopefully 2 pre-sale batches are sufficient to fund a larger batch 3 that can be sold from stock - Im also crossing my fingers for some hefty overclocking potential if these chips are all running at ~2/3 the speed of the chips in an S1
The first ones are due to ship at the end of this week, or next monday. I imagine we will see more details very soon as bitmain does the final assembly,testing, and shipment for all the units

Well I am hoping they will actually ship before 1st April, like by few days before :-) I just hope they will send me a t-shirt or something cos number of Bitcoins I have sent them is equal to GDP of a small country...

legendary
ASIC Wannabe
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥

That's what I noticed also.  If it takes more than a couple weeks to deliver it's officially a "preorder".

Anything in "Batches" is a preorder.  Just when you think the only reliable ASIC company was going so wel, they pull the preorder model on us.

Also, what's up with this render?  It's still on the Bitmain website:

You'd think they'd update it to a real photo by now...
Activity: 742

Activity: 896
There is one week left until shipping and still no sign of the final product.
Not even a photo !
I find this alarming.

Well Bitmain has delivered on time, time after time, so I would wait few more days... KnC has a picture of their miner yet their shipping is always months away... Sooooo which one do you prefer, pretty picture or delivery on time?

Ontime of course. Let me guess, by the time KNC starts delivering their product, they would have another better one (maybe called uranus Cheesy) out soon...

Bitmain is very trustable, no problem with them.
There is one week left until shipping and still no sign of the final product.
Not even a photo !
I find this alarming.

Well Bitmain has delivered on time, time after time, so I would wait few more days... KnC has a picture of their miner yet their shipping is always months away... Sooooo which one do you prefer, pretty picture or delivery on time?
legendary
ASIC Wannabe
You should be able to balance the AC between the office and warehouse using automatic dampers. That might require a bit of HVAC contractor work, but the cost should be reasonable.

not a bad idea! I was thinking of somehow obstructing the vents slightly if it couldnt be done manually with the vents. But installing some dampers might not be a bad idea, assuming it would allow an extra 5kW+ addition to the mining farm to justify it
Jump to: