Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 221. (Read 355730 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

3) 4BTC?  5 S1's cost ~4.96BTC, have less chips and no PSU.  This ain't a charity.

It still has to be a valid purchase though, the S1's made that and returned ROI reasonably quickly @6BTC ROI will be 9-10 months away.

I'm not saying that I like or dislike the S2 pricing, just that 4BTC didn't make sense as a talking point.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10

3) 4BTC?  5 S1's cost ~4.96BTC, have less chips and no PSU.  This ain't a charity.

It still has to be a valid purchase though, the S1's made that and returned ROI reasonably quickly @6BTC ROI will be 9-10 months away.

Slush's pool just added 220TH here the last couple of days and dropped my return per block down by 20%. With more power being added, 9-10 months away is generous and in scheme of things is way too long.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Hmm...

1) Big Box
2) 1000W PSU for a 1000W Draw... Explosion in 3,2,1...
3) Pricy... 4BTC would have been a way better price
4) Still 55 nm chips

A bit disappointed. I wish bitmain stayed online to answer a couple of questions, especially on the PSU front.

1) I'm fairly certain that box is larger than 4U.  I doubt it's the production case, however I could be wrong.

2) Interested to see the actual numbers.

4) This is no surprise.  I'd guess the next model (S3?)  Will have a smaller process node.

3) Ok, I might have been a bit aggressive with my price point.

Anyway, with the hashrate that's getting deployed this year, you better ROI fast with these because in a couple of months they won't pay your elec bill anymore.
Activity: 252

We all need to remember that was a prototype. Would like to see what the final product would look like as of right now, it's a broken link on the page. Might as well have a picture of the Riddler up there. I do agree that the price and the power consumption doesn't make much sense compared to the S1. What magic is going on in that box for it only needing 1KW PSU?

Activity: 98
Hmm...

1) Big Box
4) Still 55 nm chips

A bit disappointed. I wish bitmain stayed online to answer a couple of questions, especially on the PSU front.

1) I'm fairly certain that box is larger than 4U.  I doubt it's the production case, however I could be wrong.

4) This is no surprise.  I'd guess the next model (S3?)  Will have a smaller process node.

I have an email from Bitmain a few weeks back saying till will be releasing a 28nm very soon with mass production mid april.

This box sent with a PSU will cause massive issues with customs and the custom fee will be $$$ or £££

Yes its good to have such good power in one box and easy to use but cmon bitmain using the same chip and just using more of them is not really more efficient when you have to take other things into factor.

You will be paying plus 7 BTC to get this thing imported.

also 4U looks more like 8U

These box designs are not nice but hey as long as its cheap and good and fast I don't mind but the price must be right.

These will never ROI even if BTC increases by 10%
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Hmm...

1) Big Box
4) Still 55 nm chips

Activity: 156
Merit: 100
Cryptocurrency Rules man!
Too pricey.   Cry
Activity: 141
???
Agreed, shipped without a psu price would be nice, possibly in the future.

Activity: 462
Hmm...

1) Big Box
4) Still 55 nm chips

I hope the finished product is that big silver box of hashing. .5 BTC of that price is probably for shipping and handling as that looks to be a big mama jama! We are getting to the days where Antminer S1s are the new USB Asic.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Had the pleasure of seeing the prototype, its shiny Smiley

EDIT:

SUPER SECRET S2 PICTURE, NOW WITH EXTRA Tshirts

Very disappointed with the design, looks like those horrid other miners.

Expected a nice design :/
Its only a prototype, most likely put together to hold it together in a very short amount of time.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
p
I wonder how low the clocks have to be dropped to reach the target voltage to stay at 1W/GH....
if its half the speed to meet 1W/GH, then each machine will have around 640 chips in it...
Which means S1 could be sold for half the price they are asking now. Based on chip density.
I wonder how easily the S2 will be oc'able ... knowing that its chips will be severely undervolted.
Ssshhhhhh!
If underclocked it is already pulling 1000W, you would need to add a PSU.   I do not see how they will run without
a 1200W PSU if they really draw 1000W.   
Activity: 98
Had the pleasure of seeing the prototype, its shiny Smiley

EDIT:

SUPER SECRET S2 PICTURE, NOW WITH EXTRA Tshirts

Very disappointed with the design, looks like those horrid other miners.

Expected a nice design :/
Activity: 434
Man, I was hoping something a little more lower price wise for the S2.

At nearly $4k or over 6 BTC won't ever ROI.   Cry

Yeahp, only a significant increase in BTC price will allow the BTC amount to come low enough. Why BITMAIN decided to peg prices to USD is beyond me....

you could have five S1's for cheaper, and have them hashing away well before 1st april.
or buy a neptune preorder off some goon on ebay, it'd still be cheaper.

don't know how bitmain have evaluated the pricing here but this, is way too expensive and I tend to agree, it'll never ROI.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
assuming this is the same design as the S1:

if this unit has 640 chips (20 boards) vs. S1 64 chips (2 boards).  Theoretically you could overclock this to 2TH.
you need to take into account that the S1 has some nice heatsinks on it.  The S2 might be able to get away with no heat sinks or extremely small heatsinks dissipating 1000W over 20 boards.
That's only 50W per board.  If you go and start overclocking, you'll

1 - Need to install a bigger PSU
2 - Need to install bigger heat sinks

Neither of which would fit in the existing 4U S2 case.

More info from Bitmain would make the purchasing decision easier.

Keep in mind, I have nothing against Bitmain, and in fact I'm a very satisfied customer having ordered quite a bit from them, multiple times. I'm not a big fan of keep wraps on products when they already exist and teasing everyone, hoping to generate interest.  Especially with all the crap from BFL, HashFast, etc. You got something, let's see it, and let the product sell itself.  
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
No as repair unit

You pay a little or zero taxes
I know that
Activity: 159
Yes can ship as repair PC unit with value 70 dollars for customs reason?

Yea, cause customs will never see it coming, that giant box from bitmaintech... Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
Yes can ship as repair PC unit with value 70 dollars for customs reason?
Activity: 826
Merit: 314
GIF by SOCIFI
Custom value for European people ?
Jump to: