Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 39. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 251
I'd say wait and see, with this holiday happening right now you're not going to get delivery for a while anyway. With what's been thrown around it looks like you might be able to upgrade your 2 S1's to 500GH/s each by purchasing new boards.

That would be nice if i could upgrade them Smiley ok thx!
I reckon they will offer new boards so you can just use the old heatsinks, controller, fan and psu and upgrade from 180GH/s to 504GH/s. I think that's the best option with the S1's reaching the end of their profitable lifespan and it will probably save a lot of the shipping nightmares (and costs) experienced with the S2. Hopefully the new boards will be as "overclockable" as the S1 boards are, it could mean a bit more experimental fun coming our way (the S2's are a bit boring)  Cheesy

Well it depends how much it is, and when are they going to sell those upgrades if they do.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I got Satoshi's avatar!
I'd say wait and see, with this holiday happening right now you're not going to get delivery for a while anyway. With what's been thrown around it looks like you might be able to upgrade your 2 S1's to 500GH/s each by purchasing new boards.

I reckon they will offer new boards so you can just use the old heatsinks, controller, fan and psu and upgrade from 180GH/s to 504GH/s. I think that's the best option with the S1's reaching the end of their profitable lifespan and it will probably save a lot of the shipping nightmares (and costs) experienced with the S2. Hopefully the new boards will be as "overclockable" as the S1 boards are, it could mean a bit more experimental fun coming our way (the S2's are a bit boring)  Cheesy

Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Bitmain have never said that it will be possible to upgrade the S1 so not sure why so many people think it will be.

Actually......

Reserved for Q&A

1. Will there be upgrade parts for S1 and S2?

Yes, there will be. But we still need to solve some production/testing problem before we finalize the plan and public it.

I stand corrected, had never seen them mention it only the S2

here is another recent quote

ANN: BITMAIN has Tested Its 28nm Bitcoin Mining Chip BM1382

Published on June 18th, 2014,

Next Generation of ANTMINER Product: S3

S3 is a blade style miner similar with S1, and two S3 hash blades share one control board.
Each ANTMINER S3 contains 32 BM1382 chips. It will be hashing at 504 GH/s while consumes about 390W from the wall. The overall efficiency is about 0.77 J/GH.
The design of heat sink is customized but it is compatible with the hashing board of S1. Hence we will be able to provide all the S1 buyers an option of upgrade.
We have added a box over S3 to control the air flow, and we use two fans so that each fan will be able to work at lower speed.

so its better to wait for S3 than buying S2? i have two S1 right now. thx!
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Looking to buy/donate for a S2 coupon. Please PM me. Thanks!
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
anyone need S2 coupons?
i have 4left, just PM me

and donate a reasonable btc  Grin
1Ng9mxLR25QkyGdFJo6UKZNQJVbR85AjJw

When they expire?

Yea i also have 6 s2 cupons ... make me a offer and they are yours lol !

1aNpUzZPG62iwabjaYyhAVgRd8D75MTGJ

same question-when they expire?

coupons expired at 21 june 2014
donated 1 to "mullenium"

3left...
donated 1 to "owendong"

2left

donated 1 to "Pt0x"

1left...

well, these guys just want free coupon...  Cheesy
nvm, hope i get something bigger than their donation...

thanks guys
anyone need S2 coupons?
i have 4left, just PM me

When they expire?

donated 1 to "mullenium"

3left...
donated 1 to "owendong"

2left
anyone need S2 coupons?
i have 4left, just PM me

When they expire?

donated 1 to "mullenium"

3left...
anyone need S2 coupons?
i have 4left, just PM me

When they expire?

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
what are the s1 upgrade specs/price?

Bitmain have never said that it will be possible to upgrade the S1 so not sure why so many people think it will be.

It's still unknown what the upgrade path will be for S2's but it's likely to be just replacement blades, and it remains to be seen how good a deal it will be.

You won't be able to swap 10 blades with the ones from the S3 as the power consumption will be too high, so it's either going to be different blades with underclocked chips or fewer blades say 4 to match the 1000w PSU.

I think that S4 will be S2 form factor with under-clocked S3 chips.

I would suspect newer chips since the 1380 has been used in 2 products already.

S3 has new chips-1382, not 1380.
Activity: 504

It's still unknown what the upgrade path will be for S2's but it's likely to be just replacement blades, and it remains to be seen how good a deal it will be.

You won't be able to swap 10 blades with the ones from the S3 as the power consumption will be too high, so it's either going to be different blades with underclocked chips or fewer blades say 4 to match the 1000w PSU.

Reserved for Q&A

Yes, there will be. But we still need to solve some production/testing problem before we finalize the plan and public it.

S2 is 640pcs 55nm chips at 1000w
S2-->S4 could be upgradable with 90w blades of new chips. 9 chips per board 10w per chip and wut aroud 160Gh from each board and you get closer to 1,6TH miner with same thermaldensity and 1000w power consumption. Cooling and psu needs stay similar.
OR tuning up do the same with 8 chips per board.

Also design allows you to upgrade blade by blade. Manufacturing just the blade is supercheap when only real cost is the 9 chips. Rest of the blade is worth 12$ at mass production level. S1 and S2 blades are diffrent by design. Still both are very very simple and cheap to make.

1BTC S4 upgrade kit of 10 blades. haha I'm just tossing out some numbers here.
I could see myself paying 1BTC for upgrade..

Customer would get 60% increase in mining power with upgrade path. Upgrading blade by blade.

Long frogotten video how S1 blades are assembled.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxgdAT7B_DQ
Activity: 259

Actually......

Reserved for Q&A

here is another recent quote

ANN: BITMAIN has Tested Its 28nm Bitcoin Mining Chip BM1382

Published on June 18th, 2014,

Next Generation of ANTMINER Product: S3

S3 is a blade style miner similar with S1, and two S3 hash blades share one control board.
Each ANTMINER S3 contains 32 BM1382 chips. It will be hashing at 504 GH/s while consumes about 390W from the wall. The overall efficiency is about 0.77 J/GH.
The design of heat sink is customized but it is compatible with the hashing board of S1. Hence we will be able to provide all the S1 buyers an option of upgrade.
We have added a box over S3 to control the air flow, and we use two fans so that each fan will be able to work at lower speed.

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

I would suspect newer chips since the 1380 has been used in 2 products already.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Actually......
Reserved for Q&A

Meanwhile, at Bitmain HQ... Wink

Activity: 574
I have 3 2 x S2 coupons - expire 29th June - pm me
legendary
Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

Actually......

Reserved for Q&A

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
I mean going modular

You dont think Bitmain s2 is like taking 10 ASM Blades and putting on one board?  Or a BitFury board kit in a box?   Very original
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
This seems to be a trend.

KNC is changing the design of the 3TH Neptune instead of 1 box it is now 5 miner cubes each at 600GH, connected to a controllerboard.

No clue what you are talking about… KNC is not even in the same class as Bitmain, and never has been… The S2 / S4 WILL be a 2TH's box… so help us understand where you see a trend … The S3 is NOT the heavy hitter, the S4 will be the big gun for Bitmain. Bitmain made a wise decision in keeping the concept of the S1 in the game by porting it to the S3… This will be the entry level device and they can drop the worthless U2 … Make no mistake, Bitmain is in a class of its own, and KNC is nothing but a pump and dump late to the show has been IMO … They took peoples money and sat on it while they mined with customer equipment.. Bitmain has treated the community very well, so trying to talk about KNC and Bitmain in the same sentence and say they both follow the same trend shows me how well you thought that one out …

Pages:
Jump to: